• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Just purchased a new Ooma Telo unit at local Staples. They are on sale for $139.99 then there is a $20 rebate offer.
Used the Office Max 20% off purchase coupon in this Sunday's sale circular to get the Ooma for $112.
After $20 rebate and local tax it comes out to about $100.

Please note that the Ooma is listed on Staples.com for $129.99 with the $20 rebate it comes to $110 before tax, if you don't want the hassle of going to the store.
http://www.staples.com/Ooma-Telo-VoIP-Home-Phone-System/product_...

Here's a link to the Office Max coupon to use in-store as competitor's match at Staples.
http://view.ed4.net/v/95BP2O/XF5DG/Z2AVJP2/JIOL5P/

Here's a comparison of Obihai versus Ooma that I thought was a nice summary.
http://www.squidoo.com/obi-110-vs-ooma

One more thing to those who may be nervous about Ooma. It was ranked number one for phone service in the May 2013 Consumer Reports magazine comparing it to VOIP, cable and even landline (like At&T which was ranked #24 out of 25) services. Obihai and some of the other VOIP services were not listed specifically (I don't know if they were used by enough readers to even get a ranking.)

Staples
See Staples discounts that earn Up to 2.5% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

Ooma Telo
Thanks Valtron9000
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
I bought an Ooma at Staples today using the 20% off everything that fits in the bag sale, bringing the total price down ... (more)

getzdeal (Jun. 16, 2013 @ 6:19p) |

cant use discover card to pay monthly bills

YankeeRedneck (Jun. 16, 2013 @ 6:41p) |

If you were an existing Ooma customer with no monthly fees and somehow were able to find a grandfathered Ooma unit Gen 1... (more)

jw530 (Jul. 22, 2013 @ 2:35p) |

Costco now has Ooma Telo for $100 no rebates, through Mon 6/10: http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1277339/
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

will this work in India? (to call US #s for free) No monthly fees right?

vickh said:   will this work in India? (to call US #s for free) No monthly fees right? in general, the OOMA does work in other countries assuming your internet connection is good enough

vickh said:   will this work in India? (to call US #s for free) No monthly fees right?

There are a few US dollars in federal taxes that are charged each month so you will need to specify a payment method when you set up your Ooma account.

The OBi100 combined with google voice is a much better deal. A few more steps to set it up but its great once u do.

cheeto said:   The OBi100 combined with google voice is a much better deal. A few more steps to set it up but its great once u do.

I'm outside of the US and have both Ooma and Obihai devices. I've had the Ooma for 5 years now and it's been going great and since I have one of the originals I also don't pay any taxes or other monthly fees. The Obihai with Google Talk is my back-up device for the last two years and also works really well. Google Talk's service works well, calls Canada for free, and has cheap calls to other countries. It also seems to work slightly better for faxing than my OG Ooma. The biggest negative to Obihai is that the Google Talk service is not guaranteed to be free though they renew that pledge every year.

For now, it's nice to have both services. If I had to pick only one I'd probably go with the Obihai as the upfront cost is lower plus no monthly fees but with the risk that I might have to switch services (and phone number) in the future if Google changes their services terms.

The Ooma Telos is the single best consumer product outside of various Apple inventions over the past 5 years.....

No Vonage, or other crappy VOIP products....

If you have decent cable modem internet or above....Welcome to under $4 a month home phone bills.....

Yeah I know....Some of you have no home phones and only cellular....

I find it is nice and cheap enough to have a "home phone".....

I have had very few issues with this device and have over 25 devices on my home network.....

Highly recommended.....

nodinero said:   cheeto said:   The OBi100 combined with google voice is a much better deal. A few more steps to set it up but its great once u do.

I'm outside of the US and have both Ooma and Obihai devices. I've had the Ooma for 5 years now and it's been going great and since I have one of the originals I also don't pay any taxes or other monthly fees. The Obihai with Google Talk is my back-up device for the last two years and also works really well. Google Talk's service works well, calls Canada for free, and has cheap calls to other countries. It also seems to work slightly better for faxing than my OG Ooma. The biggest negative to Obihai is that the Google Talk service is not guaranteed to be free though they renew that pledge every year.

For now, it's nice to have both services. If I had to pick only one I'd probably go with the Obihai as the upfront cost is lower plus no monthly fees but with the risk that I might have to switch services (and phone number) in the future if Google changes their services terms.

When using the Obihai/Google Talk overseas, is it free to call non-Obihai/non-Google Talk phone nos. stateside?

ChalPhut said:   nodinero said:   cheeto said:   The OBi100 combined with google voice is a much better deal. A few more steps to set it up but its great once u do.

When using the Obihai/Google Talk overseas, is it free to call non-Obihai/non-Google Talk phone nos. stateside?

Yes, absolutely. It is like a regular VOIP service with each of them. By the way, ObiHai does not provide a phone number, it only lets you use OBI device to connect to Google Voice through their server. Google Voice provides you the phone number.

Jaydeep

Just want to add to this, Google voice been rumor for year that they will start charging for services, however, at this point it is not charging. I was going with Ooma telco device after search around, but end up with OBi202 device, it can connect to 4 different Google voice or other VoIP services. The device also allow two phone line with any combination of VoIP or just single Google voice account. If you need to use OBi over sea, from what I understand is it must be active in the US first.

I never have Ooma so I can not comments on it, but Google voice with OBi is good combination and sound is pretty clear to me. On top of that I can have google voice ring to my other number beside OBi device, that is just one number I need to remember and give it out

vickh said:   will this work in India? (to call US #s for free) No monthly fees right?

Get the nettalk duo
about $35 with one years service... No fees....
Set up with a US number....
Send that to India and have them connect to a high speed internet.
And have them call you or you can call them.

It looks like a magic jack but far superior.
It does not connect to a pc

All obi's are far far from plug and play.....

yesidonoitall said:   vickh said:   will this work in India? (to call US #s for free) No monthly fees right?

Get the nettalk duo

Wow are you for real ? nettalk duo had one or the worst services and rating. Magic jack customer almost none exist via phone or Email.

yesidonoitall said:   All obi's are far far from plug and play.....
No one ever say it a plug and play so the other device as well, none of them are just plug play. you still have to do some type of set up. Let see how hard is it for me to set up OBi, plug in to internet, power up, plug in the phone. register the device to with OBitalk, dial in the number per instruction to get device attach to OBitalk account, add google voice in from OBItalk dash broad and that was it...

OOS online,damn!

I have nettalk duo, working fine for me. The problem i have faced is not with the device, but customer service. When one device gave way, getting replacement was a nightmare. Took more than a month. Customer care wait times are around 2-3 hrs now a days.

I was considering the obi thing for gv, but when I use gv to call from my pc, there are blank pauses now and then. Also some static. Is obi device better? Or should I go with ooma?

nortotron said:   I have nettalk duo, working fine for me. The problem i have faced is not with the device, but customer service. When one device gave way, getting replacement was a nightmare. Took more than a month. Customer care wait times are around 2-3 hrs now a days.

I was considering the obi thing for gv, but when I use gv to call from my pc, there are blank pauses now and then. Also some static. Is obi device better? Or should I go with ooma?

to be honest, I never call from PC, so I don't know, I did initiate the call from PC, to the number then ring it to one of my phone and it work fine. however, I been using the Google voice and OBi, and the voice is clear crystal as it can be. You blank pause could be your router. I had same problems for the longest time with other VoIP before Google voice, I blame it on Comcast then other stuff, they came out replace my cable from the house to the out side post. Problems still exist. But lucky my router was able to use DD-WRT firm ware, I flashed it DD-WRT then all sudden everything work perfect.

xccess said:   yesidonoitall said:   vickh said:   will this work in India? (to call US #s for free) No monthly fees right?

Get the nettalk duo

Wow are you for real ? nettalk duo had one or the worst services and rating. Magic jack customer almost none exist via phone or Email.

yesidonoitall said:   All obi's are far far from plug and play.....
No one ever say it a plug and play so the other device as well, none of them are just plug play. you still have to do some type of set up. Let see how hard is it for me to set up OBi, plug in to internet, power up, plug in the phone. register the device to with OBitalk, dial in the number per instruction to get device attach to OBitalk account, add google voice in from OBItalk dash broad and that was it...

RE:

I am for real and deal in the real world, such as ratings mean squat.
I have the totally free ooma, Nettalk duo and phone power voips....
And all atr the same time if needed.
All work great..
Netalk duo from the start, never had to call customer service.

And I stand by obi is not plug and play.......

Now voipo was a real pain..
They replaced their unit, still an iffy service....

I went with voipo because I had and still do their 866 service, $36 for a year.

yesidonoitall said:   
RE:

All work great..

good for you it that work for you, you are one out of million that happy with Nettalk duo or magic jack while the general population is not happy with them as you can see they both was rating very poorly. but if that don't mean jack for you then good for you, let me know when your boat sink, I will send out Captain Hook for you.

I like Oom when they still have that free none monthly payment, but ever since they came out with new one you have to pay monthly, I been lurk around and almost get it, until I keep seeing OBi come along, now I don't have my OBi for long but it been good so far and it does what I need. I can tied my work Google voice, my personal Google voice and Google voice number to bill collector and have it ring to the same phone base when or however I want. only down side is I don't have 911, but I had a old Verizon home phone using cell tower no longer in services, I put that to use for 911 only at my house....

xccess said:   yesidonoitall said:   
RE:

All work great..

good for you it that work for you, you are one out of million that happy with Nettalk duo or magic jack while the general population is not happy with them as you can see they both was rating very poorly. but if that don't mean jack for you then good for you, let me know when your boat sink, I will send out Captain Hook for you.

I like Oom when they still have that free none monthly payment, but ever since they came out with new one you have to pay monthly, I been lurk around and almost get it, until I keep seeing OBi come along, now I don't have my OBi for long but it been good so far and it does what I need. I can tied my work Google voice, my personal Google voice and Google voice number to bill collector and have it ring to the same phone base when or however I want. only down side is I don't have 911, but I had a old Verizon home phone using cell tower no longer in services, I put that to use for 911 only at my house....

I never stood behind MJ.
I have no google numbers..

$30 off $90 Staples online / phone coupon code for whoever wants it:

9722 7065 9151 8774

Hurry - expires today 6/3/13!

ayipecrrcom said:   

Thanks for that link. No 911 and not being able to port my # means no Obi for me. I just wish you didn't have to pay for Call Waiting with the Ooma.

BTW, what's with the odd names of both?

Slickone said:   ayipecrrcom said:   

Thanks for that link. No 911 and not being able to port my # means no Obi for me. I just wish you didn't have to pay for Call Waiting with the Ooma.

port number ?
https://support.google.com/voice/answer/1065667?hl=en

Callcentric can provide E911 or use any old un-use cell phone like me for 911

Spooie said:   $30 off $90 Staples online / phone coupon code for whoever wants it:

9722 7065 9151 8774

Hurry - expires today 6/3/13!

IT HAS BEEN USED

xccess said:   Slickone said:   ayipecrrcom said:   

port number ?
https://support.google.com/voice/answer/1065667?hl=en

Callcentric can provide E911 or use any old un-use cell phone like me for 911

Hmm. I don't know. The time I need 911 is probably when the cell phone is out of charge.
The chart on that page said you can't port the #, so I was just going by that.

Maybe a dumb question, but any time I've tried Groove IP (uses Google Voice), there's so much of an echo (and there's a fairly long delay) that the other person says it's basically unusable. How does Obi using GV not have that problem?

xccess said:   Maybe a dumb question, but any time I've tried Groove IP (uses Google Voice), there's so much of an echo (and there's a fairly long delay) that the other person says it's basically unusable. How does Obi using GV not have that problem?

The echo with Groove IP is caused by sound going from the earpiece to the microphone on your cell phone. Normal cell phone calls have hardware echo cancellation that does a pretty good job. Echo is less of a problem for home phones because the ear piece and microphone are further apart, and typically there is some sort of hardware echo cancellation. I've used Groove IP, and echo / delay was a problem for me. On the Obi110, echo and delay were not a problem at all. I honestly can't tell the difference between it and a land line call.

picked up the last one from a store here in TX
Unfortuantely, the Staples store mgr would honor the OM coupon only at the competitor 149.99 price (not at Staples in store price of $139.99 or Staples online price of 129.99)
Although it sucks, I walked away with the unit for $110 with tax, after OM price match and $20 rebate. Still happy! and GREEN for the op

if you want a QUALITY voip service that you just set and forget then this is the one to go with....i've been using since 2009 and i would recommend to anyone.

I just came from FL Staples. Found a store that matched the online price of $129.99 and honored the OM 20% off coupon. My final price with the Staples rebate will be $83.99. Thanks Ayipecrrcom's

Great discussion!.....and "THANKS" for sharing your thoughts.

I have a 5 year old "grand fathered" basic ooma phone which does not require the tax and fees every month. For those of you in a similar situation, have you found a "Plan B" when the phone needs service? It would be easy to replace the unit, but a replacement (same brand new/ used) would result in the "tax and fees" to start being applied monthly. So, have you found a "quick and reasonable" repair center? It would be a "Big" inconvenience to be without this exact/original VOIP telephone.

I just picked mine up at Staples, used a $25 off $75, came to 122.18 with tax, minus the MIR for a total of 102.18.

memo97224 said:   I have a 5 year old "grand fathered" basic ooma phone which does not require the tax and fees every month. For those of you in a similar situation, have you found a "Plan B" when the phone needs service? It would be easy to replace the unit, but a replacement (same brand new/ used) would result in the "tax and fees" to start being applied monthly. So, have you found a "quick and reasonable" repair center? It would be a "Big" inconvenience to be without this exact/original VOIP telephone.
I have the same Hub unit as you, likewise with the same grandfathered plan with no taxes or fees. As this model was discontinued years ago, if and when one's particular device fails, you're probably out of luck at that point. I don't know of any easy means of getting these repaired nor is it likely to find a used one. You'd have to get a Telo (or whatever the current model is at that time) as a replacement, and the new plan with fees would begin. We'll have to fondly remember the free ride while it lasted.

I too have been quite pleased with my device and the service. Easy, one-time setup and indistinguishable from a POTS landline in performance and function.

I bought the grand father unit 2 yr ago, i love it and save me a lot of $$$. For some reason the unified school district required a land line phone, i cheat, it's not landline, but I transferred the landline phone to ooma. I saved at least $600 in 2yr with the same option compare to local verizon bill.

memo97224 said:   Great discussion!.....and "THANKS" for sharing your thoughts.

I have a 5 year old "grand fathered" basic ooma phone which does not require the tax and fees every month. For those of you in a similar situation, have you found a "Plan B" when the phone needs service? It would be easy to replace the unit, but a replacement (same brand new/ used) would result in the "tax and fees" to start being applied monthly. So, have you found a "quick and reasonable" repair center? It would be a "Big" inconvenience to be without this exact/original VOIP telephone.

Thanks for responding to my question concerning the potential repair of a 5 year old "grand fathered" basic ooma. I'd like to be proactive should the situation develop to a reality. Correct me if I'm wrong, just buy a replacement ooma telephone at a cheap promotional price or for example, "used" on crag's list. Then at some point, activate the replacement unit and start paying the monthly tax & fees. I guess, it's kind of like self insuring the current basic "grand fathered" phone system which currently doesn't have monthly tax & fees.

memo97224 said:   Thanks for responding to my question concerning the potential repair of a 5 year old "grand fathered" basic ooma. I'd like to be proactive should the situation develop to a reality. Correct me if I'm wrong, just buy a replacement ooma telephone at a cheap promotional price or for example, "used" on crag's list. Then at some point, activate the replacement unit and start paying the monthly tax & fees. I guess, it's kind of like self insuring the current basic "grand fathered" phone system which currently doesn't have monthly tax & fees.

RE:
or for example, "used" on crag's list

Be sure the seller is trustworthy and you have recourse to him.

Recourse buying something from someone on craigslist? That's a good one.

I really think it's going to be nearly impossible to find a used or refurb Hub, as the model was discontinued years ago. And since this is the last model to work on the grandfathered plan, why would anyone want to get rid of it? If/when mine breaks, I suppose I'll look for the best deal on a Telo, or even consider some other options. There are other viable VOIP options. Or by then (hopefully years down the road), I'll be able to get by strictly with a cell phone/plan.

yoregano said:   Recourse buying something from someone on craigslist? That's a good one.

I really think it's going to be nearly impossible to find a used or refurb Hub, as the model was discontinued years ago. And since this is the last model to work on the grandfathered plan, why would anyone want to get rid of it? If/when mine breaks, I suppose I'll look for the best deal on a Telo, or even consider some other options. There are other viable VOIP options. Or by then (hopefully years down the road), I'll be able to get by strictly with a cell phone/plan.

RE:
as the model was discontinued years ago.

I got mine from Frys as a refurb over 2 years ago, maybe 3.

Again, Thanks for your thoughts on the "Grand fathered" ooma hub. For those of you who would like to know, I canceled my U.S. Comcast internet connection several weeks ago. While traveling in the Middle East for the next two months, ooma voicemail has done an excellent job of picking up any messages left for my family. So, basically, I'm just using "free" hotspots until Comcast offers "FREE SERVICE"!!!

titsoeur said:   I just came from FL Staples. Found a store that matched the online price of $129.99 and honored the OM 20% off coupon. My final price with the Staples rebate will be $83.99. Thanks Ayipecrrcom's
Funny, the mgr at the store I went to wouldn't do the OM 20% after doing the PM to online $130 (I knew she wouldn't, since she did the same thing a year or two ago), claiming the system wouldn't let her scan the 20% after doing the PM adjustment (knew it was BS). I've had other mgrs at various stores tell me that but then often somehow in the end they're able to do it (Target comes to mind). I wish I knew exactly how to do it so I could have told her! She said I could pick one discount or the other. I picked 20% of course. So I'll pay $122.35 - $20 MiR = $102.35

Skipping 3 Messages...
If you were an existing Ooma customer with no monthly fees and somehow were able to find a grandfathered Ooma unit Gen 1 or 2 to replace a non-working Gen 1 or 2 device, could you ask Ooma to transfer service to the new device ID and still get free monthly service?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014