• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
Lycamobile has been providing service (prepaid unlimited talk/text/web) in the US for a little while. I had been meaning to switch over. But, with the iPhone5 needing a nano SIM I had to hold back with them offering only regular and micro SIMs. Should you have an unlocked iPhone5 here is the link to order a free nano SIM and enjoy wireless freedom or at least sample it.

http://www.lycamobile.us/en/free-sim-request

cheers

Update: I received the SIM and activated it yesterday. For those in doubt, T-Mobile flashes as the carrier name before turning to Lycamobile. I probably don't have 4G in my area (Denver), but 3G speeds were decent (3-4 MBPs down/1-2 MBPs up). I am content with it. Can't beat unlimited everything including international calls for $29 (no regulatory federal blah blah fees). No calls, connectivity and data issues yet. Smooth performance as a T-Mobile SIM card would be. Only gripe is that any search in Safari browser defaults to Google.co.uk, even if the Google search app does fine and gives you local results. Booted AT&T ass today by porting number.

Good luck.

Related Deals   People who viewed this deal also viewed these similar deals.

Member Summary

Lycamobile (2.61kB)
Thanks Farfisa850
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
well... here is MY observation. I saw this post and was curious. I currently have StraightTalk and have loved the serv... (more)

davriley1 (Jan. 22, 2014 @ 11:02a) |

What u can do is to simply pay $5 to get a sim and join the pay as u go plan. You will get a new number and play with it... (more)

qqzj (Jan. 22, 2014 @ 11:31a) |

Does any one know how to get 4 micro SIM cards each costing less than $1 for StraightTalk? Thanks.

addictedBuyer (Jan. 22, 2014 @ 12:40p) |

Staff Summary
Categorized in
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
have been using Lycamobile for a few months. Signal is fine in my area. $29/month you can have unlimited national wide call, unlimited web, up to 100GB 4G, unlimited international call to 65 countries.

rated:
aquarious said:   have been using Lycamobile for a few months. Signal is fine in my area. $29/month you can have unlimited national wide call, unlimited web, up to 100GB 4G, unlimited international call to 65 countries.

I think you meant 100MB not GB

rated:
aquarious said:   have been using Lycamobile for a few months. Signal is fine in my area. $29/month you can have unlimited national wide call, unlimited web, up to 100GB 4G, unlimited international call to 65 countries.
What data speeds do you get?!?!

rated:
Thorin78 said:   aquarious said:   have been using Lycamobile for a few months. Signal is fine in my area. $29/month you can have unlimited national wide call, unlimited web, up to 100GB 4G, unlimited international call to 65 countries.

I think you meant 100MB not GB

This link says 100MB not 1000
http://www.lycamobile.us/en/national-plans

rated:
how is their coverage nation wide? I was unable to find this info on their website.

rated:

50 Countries with the $29 plan.

rated:
This is their standard mini+micro sim, not a nano. (At least in my experience, I had ordered micro sims before and requested a nano with the order, rec'd same type of sim as before). I'm sure you could trim it down though.

rated:
Anyone has 7 digit carrier code for lycamobile used by r-sim or gpp unlocking sim card ?
I got verizon ihpone 4s in hoping to unlock using such tool but I'm stuck at the beginning.

rated:
I cannot do recharge, does somebody has same problem? I tried diffirent card, allways "Your payment has failed."

rated:
cos said:   Anyone has 7 digit carrier code for lycamobile used by r-sim or gpp unlocking sim card ?
I got verizon ihpone 4s in hoping to unlock using such tool but I'm stuck at the beginning.

verizon doesn't use sim cards.....so either i'm reading this wrong or you are asking for someone to help you with an impossible task.

rated:
lemonhead said:   cos said:   Anyone has 7 digit carrier code for lycamobile used by r-sim or gpp unlocking sim card ?

verizon doesn't use sim cards.....so either i'm reading this wrong or you are asking for someone to help you with an impossible task.

I thought 4s has all the bands and sim slot to work on all carriers. My verizon iphone 5 works with at&t 3g as well.

rated:
Worst Customer service

rated:
I agree ... nightmare service ... these people clutch money like its the last crumb of edible food in the universe. When their service sucks ... they blame it on you and charge you for "using it" ... I'm like ok ... 4 calls in 2 days would be "trying it" not using it .... they are terrible. Stick with a legitimate company!

rated:
anyone have trouble porting number from Straight Talk?

rated:
kkmekadba said:   lemonhead said:   cos said:   Anyone has 7 digit carrier code for lycamobile used by r-sim or gpp unlocking sim card ?

I thought 4s has all the bands and sim slot to work on all carriers. My verizon iphone 5 works with at&t 3g as well.
It does, but it has to be SIM unlocked first. The 5 comes SIM unlocked by default.

rated:
If you want to port a number, don't use Lycamobile. They can not port most numbers.

rated:
hou said:   I cannot do recharge, does somebody has same problem? I tried diffirent card, allways "Your payment has failed."

Same issue today on their site. My bank said that the site reports an issue with the verification code on the back of the card (3 digit security code). I have tried several times with Firefox and IE with a visa and Mastercard. No joy.

rated:
Update on coverage.

My wife and kids are on a road trip to the west. Lycamobile has no coverage at 90% of the places (New Mexico, Colorado, Utah). While H2OWireless is good.

I know that Lyca uses T-Mobile network. T-Mobile shouldn't be that bad on coverage. I guess for some technical/contract reasons, Lyca is not fully utilizing T-Mobile's network. That's just a guess.

So my suggestion is: it's good to use Lyca locally (if you know it works in your city). But on a road trip, you'd better opt for others.

rated:
i had big expectations for lyco, transferred in my t-mo number to them;
it's nightmare experience with both quality and service, clearly they want you out with all your problems;
and i'm out, hell with them

rated:
anyone know if you get 2g or 3g after your 4g runs out?

rated:
I am trying to get a lycamobile sim, it always fail at the payment page.
The webpage seems sucks, does not remember anything, and I'd have to re-enter all info after the failure.

Their service looks so unreliable, anyone else have the same experience?

rated:
argentum said:   I am trying to get a lycamobile sim, it always fail at the payment page.
The webpage seems sucks, does not remember anything, and I'd have to re-enter all info after the failure.

The webpage worked fine for me , as I have bought 2 sims from them over the last 2 months and ported my Virgin Mobile number to them without any issues.
Service is via T-Mobile so coverage will be the same experience as other T-Mobile users.

rated:
They have multiple kiosks in at least 3 malls I have been at here in NJ. Thing is, the Kiosks are always empty (no rep to talk to) just lots of brochures.

rated:
luvGnuLinux, thanks for the reply, but I am more interested in people's experience in the past 2 days rather than 2 months, I am sure they worked 2 months ago.

luvGnuLinux said:   argentum said:   I am trying to get a lycamobile sim, it always fail at the payment page.

The webpage worked fine for me , as I have bought 2 sims from them over the last 2 months and ported my Virgin Mobile number to them without any issues.
Service is via T-Mobile so coverage will be the same experience as other T-Mobile users.

rated:
Which Malls in NJ? Thanks!

rated:
1. I used Lyca for 3 months,
I had to get a New York area code (I live in Arkansas).
2. There were many dead zones when my iPhone 5 was useless.
3. Had trouble renewing my service every month.
4. Switched back to Straight Talk, a little more money but MUCH better service.

rated:
beavis39 said:   Which Malls in NJ? Thanks! Woodbridge, Menlo Park & RT18 are the ones I've seen them at.

rated:
I brought lyca sims card for $1.00 (includes shipping) from eBay (seller brentr12). I ordered on Fri and it arrived on Mon. Seller is in Chula Vista CA. I am in NYC. I can buy a $10.00 card at the local bodega. I want to try lyca as a backup phone.

rated:
The unlimited international with 1000 mobile minutes is the only attraction for me. But everything else doesn't seem to align customer service, coverage ect. Anybody know of another company that offers an international mobile to mobile addon & not just landlines?

rated:
Anyone having problems calling certain numbers within your area codes on Lycamobile? I've called a few, in my area code, and I get something like "air is not configured", 

rated:
There are Amazon sellers selling the SIM for 1 cent with free shipping. Lyca charges like $7 for their shipping of their "free" SIM now.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00CUIPEDS/ref=dp_olp_new... 

My bad. No nano size. Only standard and micro SIM.

rated:
voyagerbob said:   Anyone having problems calling certain numbers within your area codes on Lycamobile? I've called a few, in my area code, and I get something like "air is not configured", 
  Not the same problem as you but sometimes when people call me, it'll just ring and ring but never roll to voicemail.  Other times I've been told when people try to call me they'll get the message that all circuits are busy now.  I'm not sure what the deal is.  The service seems unreliable to me.

rated:
I have been using Lyca for about 4 months now (since 9/19) after my wife's company decided to pay all her wireless expenses. (We were on a family plan before.) So far I only used 9 dollars using their pay as you go plan. So for somebody who do not call much and have landlines both at work and at home, this surely saved a bundle.

Customer service is not that bad, even though you do have to wait a while to get help. It perhaps a little better than ATT, so it is actually an improvement for me. At first I have voice mail issue like shallot mentioned, but it fixed itself a while ago. Now the service is perfect. I am in NorCal. I am pretty satisfied and would recommend it to my friends in NorCal. Because coverage differs a lot by region, I cannot recommend it to users in other places.

Just want to post a real user's experience.

rated:
well... here is MY observation. I saw this post and was curious. I currently have StraightTalk and have loved the service. But I have the $45 monthly plan and was intrigued to getting similar service for $29 per month. Called Customer Service. First bad impression. on hold longer than I thought I should have. 2nd negative impression: CSR spoke broken English with Indian accent (both CSR's I spoke with). You can ask them if they can port your current cell number (in my case, yes. a plus). Then i asked about coverage. POOR in my area. voice only - and that was limited. Politely thanked the CSR and hung up. moving on...... PASS. But I would encourage anyone with questions to call Customer Support first to see if your number can be ported and coverage in your area, and if your current phone can be unlocked. That should answer your first major questions right there. Sticking with Straight Talk..... but looking into Republic Wireless...

rated:
davriley1 said:   well... here is MY observation. I saw this post and was curious. I currently have StraightTalk and have loved the service. But I have the $45 monthly plan and was intrigued to getting similar service for $29 per month. Called Customer Service. First bad impression. on hold longer than I thought I should have. 2nd negative impression: CSR spoke broken English with Indian accent (both CSR's I spoke with). You can ask them if they can port your current cell number (in my case, yes. a plus). Then i asked about coverage. POOR in my area. voice only - and that was limited. Politely thanked the CSR and hung up. moving on...... PASS. But I would encourage anyone with questions to call Customer Support first to see if your number can be ported and coverage in your area, and if your current phone can be unlocked. That should answer your first major questions right there. Sticking with Straight Talk..... but looking into Republic Wireless...
  What u can do is to simply pay $5 to get a sim and join the pay as u go plan. You will get a new number and play with it for a while. If everything is okay, you then port your number. Worst case you lose $5. If it works, you save $15 every month. Not a bad tradeoff.

rated:
Does any one know how to get 4 micro SIM cards each costing less than $1 for StraightTalk? Thanks.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014