Voting History
rated:
$.29

5 case limit, no shipping estimate.

Member Summary

ammo
Thanks Farfisa850
Disclaimer
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Based on a few runs through Wallymart the last week, I would say the ammo shortage is easing.

In for 5 of each.. Cool. FMJ, 55 gr HP, 62 gr HP

Steel cased, yuck.

Steel cases are fine. If my rifle won't shoot steel cased ammo, I'd get rid of the rifle. Price is a little high compared to pre Sandy, but not too shabby now.

I have a Daniel Defense M4 and called the factory about steel case ammo. They said it was terrible for precision weapons. They had 3 barrels that were jammed so bad they had to replace them. They said Eagle brand brass 223 which was $6.49 the last time they had it at Wally World was fine. The steel cases do not expand when fired and cause fouling around the case until they jam. I know people shoot them and don't always have problems but my DD wasn't cheap so I will pass. Steel is all I shoot in Mosin Nagant however. No problems in AKs and the like.

This topic has been beat to death but here are some interesting stress tests: Brass vs. Steel Cased Ammo An Epic Torture Test

Although ammunition prices are volatile, the prices of brass and steel remain similar to one another that is, brass is generally more expensive. We created a chart comparing the cost over time of each type, including ammunition and spare parts replacement costs.

The difference in price between brass and steel cased (more specifically, copper jacketed and bimetal jacketed) ammunition means that you'll have plenty of savings with which to buy new barrels even if you shoot so fast that you replace them every 4,000 rounds. For this chart, brass ammunition was calculated at $130 per thousand higher than steel and replacement barrels at $250 apiece.

HitLines said:   This topic has been beat to death but here are some interesting stress tests: Brass vs. Steel Cased Ammo An Epic Torture Test

Although ammunition prices are volatile, the prices of brass and steel remain similar to one another that is, brass is generally more expensive. We created a chart comparing the cost over time of each type, including ammunition and spare parts replacement costs.

The difference in price between brass and steel cased (more specifically, copper jacketed and bimetal jacketed) ammunition means that you'll have plenty of savings with which to buy new barrels even if you shoot so fast that you replace them every 4,000 rounds. For this chart, brass ammunition was calculated at $130 per thousand higher than steel and replacement barrels at $250 apiece.

I get 13 cents per case for my fired brass so it looks like a wash. I like my weapons and don't like to destroy them prematurely. I have a lot of expensive machine guns and believe you don't shoot cheap ammo (poor quality) in expensive guns. I don't spend a lot on ammo, I just don't buy steel for anything but my nagants, ak's and SKS's. It works great in them.

HitLines said:   This topic has been beat to death but here are some interesting stress tests: Brass vs. Steel Cased Ammo An Epic Torture Test

What type of MGs? RADIS? RLL?

To be fair, most of us are not talking about NFA items when talking about steel cased ammo.

you'll have plenty of savings with which to buy new barrels

That information is for a plinking rifle. I'll run steel and whatnot in my carbine but brass only for my Stainless Barrel SPR.

ordered 5 boxes of 7.62x39. yah! with shipping it's still cheaper than buying locally. And most importantly, they had them in stock.

Bump for lower price update.

$19 to ship 5 measly boxes??? NO THANKS!

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014