• Go to page :
  • 1 234
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
It feels strange to recommend an auto lease, but this one intrigued me.

$259/mo., $259 due at signing, unlimited miles, includes zero-deductible collision cover, includes all maintenance, includes roadside assistance, three year term.

Only available to "residents" of California, Oregon, New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Maryland, and Rhode Island.

If you have a free charging station at work, your fueling cost could be zero. EPA range 82 miles.

http://automobiles.honda.com/fit-ev/
http://automobiles.honda.com/fit-ev/faq.aspx

Member Summary

honda fit
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
I would recommend not upgrading your EVSE (charger). Get a standalone charger. Also, put a 240V 40A circuit in your gara... (more)

HappyScrappyHeroPup (Jun. 26, 2013 @ 11:38p) |

Interesting article from BusinessWeek on why Honda is doing this...

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-06-20/why-h... (more)

jonios (Jun. 26, 2013 @ 11:38p) |

anyone able to find FIT stock norcal?

just sharing my experience shopping for leaf last week.

12k per year
I got the top of... (more)

wiru (Jul. 25, 2013 @ 6:38p) |

Fit vs Leaf 100-mi range test. Fit appears to win out in efficiency.

According to a FEV forum post, the car uses Toshiba SCiB cells which may be superior to the Leaf's battery chemistry.
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

EPA Range = 82 miles

so,

Add about $50/month to this lease.. to cover a tow back to your home each month.

Bizatch said:   EPA Range = 82 miles

so,

Add about $50/month to this lease.. to cover a tow back to your home each month.

Good thinking. But it also includes roadside assistance. I'll update the original post.

Well.. Since I live 20 miles from where I work.... Sounds good to me.

Edit: Don't see anything about unlimited miles however...

Edit 2. Unlimited mileage is mentioned in this Car&Driver article:
http://blog.caranddriver.com/cheaper-fit-ev-honda-lowers-the-lea...

arla said:   It feels strange to recommend an auto lease, but this one intrigued me.

Yes, they seem to be getting on the bandwagon of other makers more attractive electric lease offers.

While the above isn't really not my style..vehicles like the new Cadillac ELR looks promising.

I remember when I first looked at this, there was no purchase option, you can only lease this car, and you cannot buy it at the end of the term. That was a deal breaker for me. And it only comes in blue. And no Sirius/XM radio.

Subject to limited availability through October 2014 in designated market regions on approved credit through American Honda Finance Corp. Closed end lease for 2013 Honda Fit EV for well-qualified lessees meeting specific use and operation requirements. Not all applicants will qualify. No purchase option at lease end. MSRP $37,415 (includes destination). Excludes tax, title, license, fees, registration, options and insurance. Total monthly payments $9,324. Lessee responsible for non-routine maintenance, and excessive wear/tear. Lease includes collision coverage, routine maintenance, roadside assistance and navigation system updates. Total due at lease signing $259 plus tax and title. Please see your authorized Fit EV dealer for complete details. For lessees who elect to install 240-volt charging equipment in their home, the charging equipment (hardware only) will be provided by Honda, the lessee remains responsible for installation and installation materials.

Dang. No Texas.

Wished they offered this in Virginia, I would get one.

Bizatch said:   EPA Range = 82 miles

so,

Then don't drive more than ~36 miles from home to give you a 10 mile roundtrip buffer. Use common sense. You wouldn't drive 41 miles on car knowing you're low on gas and there's no gas station for another 82 miles.

But that's the extreme scenario. The normal, targetted scenario for this and other EVs is for you to commute to work and recharge every night. In addition, many companies--including mine--have charger stations or outlets for you to recharge the car during the day. And currently, most of this electricity is free to you. Companies rarely charge you to charge (no pun intended) and public garages generally have free charging stations. On top of that, even if you don't get free charging, electricity is anywhere from 1/10 to 1/5 cheaper than gas, per mile.

Seems odd that they would do this on a car with such a high sticker price.

But I have never had a problem with Honda Finance. I would be interested if it was available to me.

arla said:   Bizatch said:   EPA Range = 82 miles

so,

Good thinking. But it also includes roadside assistance. I'll update the original post.

You must run out of gas very often if you never plan to refuel...

Anyone know what the approximate cost to put a 240 volt charger in the house is? I just put a 7Kwatt solar array on house & this is intriguing.

freeguy007 said:   Anyone know what the approximate cost to put a 240 volt charger in the house is? I just put a 7Kwatt solar array on house & this is intriguing.

you would need to get some quotes from electricians --- prices will vary greatly

freeguy007 said:   Anyone know what the approximate cost to put a 240 volt charger in the house is? I just put a 7Kwatt solar array on house & this is intriguing.

Depends on the accessibility of your main panel and how easy it is to run a line to your garage. But remember, there's a federal tax credit available to help offset the cost of installing a charger...basically 1/3rd of the cost.

With that 80 mile/charge you are not going anywhere close to the "unlimited miles", unless you take 4 hour rest every 80 miles for another charge. Other than brushing up your ecofriendly image, this lease offer is as bad as any other auto lease.

sensia said:   With that 80 mile/charge you are not going anywhere close to the "unlimited miles", unless you take 4 hour rest every 80 miles for another charge. Other than brushing up your ecofriendly image, this lease offer is as bad as any other auto lease.

Your statement is a rant.

Rant back ---- > This conclusion is simply ignorant.

sensia said:   With that 80 mile/charge you are not going anywhere close to the "unlimited miles", unless you take 4 hour rest every 80 miles for another charge. Other than brushing up your ecofriendly image, this lease offer is as bad as any other auto lease.

Yes, but even if you drive 80 miles every day for even 300 days, that's 24K miles. I don't know any other lease that offers 24k miles at this price.

you can charge it using regular electric outlet too....i wonder how long that would take though

JacquesTutite said:   I remember when I first looked at this, there was no purchase option, you can only lease this car, and you cannot buy it at the end of the term. That was a deal breaker for me. And it only comes in blue.

Subject to limited availability through October 2014 in designated market regions on approved credit through American Honda Finance Corp. Closed end lease for 2013 Honda Fit EV for well-qualified lessees meeting specific use and operation requirements. Not all applicants will qualify. No purchase option at lease end. MSRP $37,415 (includes destination). Excludes tax, title, license, fees, registration, options and insurance. Total monthly payments $9,324. Lessee responsible for non-routine maintenance, and excessive wear/tear. Lease includes collision coverage, routine maintenance, roadside assistance and navigation system updates. Total due at lease signing $259 plus tax and title. Please see your authorized Fit EV dealer for complete details. For lessees who elect to install 240-volt charging equipment in their home, the charging equipment (hardware only) will be provided by Honda, the lessee remains responsible for installation and installation materials.

Now, my question would be, since I have never leased a car, would you have to pay taxes on the MSRP $37,415 or the Total 3 year lease of $9,324.
How that works out? Or just taxes on the monthly $259?

25 mile commute one way * 2 ways * 5 days/week * 52 weeks/year = 13,000 miles/year

That doesn't include weekend travel and non-commute weekday travel, but I offset that by virtue of not counting vacation and holidays in the above calc. Typical leases allow 12,000 miles/year. If you live close to work, this wouldn't be a good option. In the SF Bay Area, 25 miles is fairly common, and an extra 1000 miles is nothing to scoff at on a lease. That plus free collision insurance, cheap electricity (compared to gas) makes this a very good deal for long distance commuters.

bpydimer said:   you can charge it using regular electric outlet too....i wonder how long that would take though

For the Fit, from almost 0 charge to 100% charge, approximately 14 hours, weather dependent. Would not be a good option if you drain the range completely every day and can only charge overnight (less than 12 hours).

It has cargo space behind rear seat? just get in on a generator deal like http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1274611/ and log some miles

Agreed.. it's nice marketing ploy, to attract consumers.

ajainy said:   sensia said:   With that 80 mile/charge you are not going anywhere close to the "unlimited miles", unless you take 4 hour rest every 80 miles for another charge. Other than brushing up your ecofriendly image, this lease offer is as bad as any other auto lease.

Agreed.. it's nice marketing ploy, to attract consumers.

How so, if you do the math, on how much you spend every week on gas compared to how much you would be spending on electric power, and you maximize the amount of miles you can put in per day, since it is unlimited, then this is more than a good deal.

sensia said:   With that 80 mile/charge you are not going anywhere close to the "unlimited miles", unless you take 4 hour rest every 80 miles for another charge. Other than brushing up your ecofriendly image, this lease offer is as bad as any other auto lease.I have a Leaf with a similar range and do 80 miles a day. In the 18 months I've had it I have 21k miles whilst working 3 days a week. In an 8 hour work day even on 110V it's back to 100% from 50% charge. If I lived closer I'd do 100% of my charging at the office and have no fuel expense. I'd consider this if (when) it's available in Georgia.

ElGuache said:   JacquesTutite said:   I remember when I first looked at this, there was no purchase option, you can only lease this car, and you cannot buy it at the end of the term. That was a deal breaker for me. And it only comes in blue.

Now, my question would be, since I have never leased a car, would you have to pay taxes on the MSRP $37,415 or the Total 3 year lease of $9,324.
How that works out? Or just taxes on the monthly $259?

Depends what state you are in. As an example, in CT, you only pay sales tax on the monthly lease payments. Some states charge you sales tax on the whole price of the car.

70 miles per day x 365 = 25,000 miles per year = 75,000 miles 3 yrs

50 miles per day x 365 = 18,200 miles per year =55,000 miles in 3 yrs

It says that they provide you with a free charging station, but installation costs are on you. Is there really an 'installation' for this, if I'm a homeowner? Can't I stick it in my garage and plug it in to my wall outlet?

kvs25 said:   It says that they provide you with a free charging station, but installation costs are on you. Is there really an 'installation' for this, if I'm a homeowner? Can't I stick it in my garage and plug it in to my wall outlet?

Obviously you need to know what is in your garage. If you have a 240-volt outlet, no.

kvs25 said:   It says that they provide you with a free charging station, but installation costs are on you. Is there really an 'installation' for this, if I'm a homeowner? Can't I stick it in my garage and plug it in to my wall outlet?

Most of the 240V charging stations (EVSE) are designed to be "permanently installed" which means they must be hardwired with a dedicated breaker. Some are designed to be "portable" and come with a mounting bracket and can be plugged in to a 240V outlet. Honda is most likely offering a permanently installed 240V EVSE which will need to be installed.

The car will also most likely come with a 120V EVSE that you can plug in to a standard 15 amp 120V household outlet. This is suitable if you have a short commute and is what I use on my LEAF driving 40 miles/day.

So it looks like you can get both EVSE types with this deal.

They are sold out all over the nation, dealers are only getting 2 every 6 month and the waiting list closed on saturday

phil2free said:    Honda is most likely offering a permanently installed 240V EVSE which will need to be installed.

Not quite...since their is nothing stating they do not expect the equipment back when the lease is up. Also on their website, it gives a "tips" section and says to make sure to check with your landlord before the 240 modification if you are renting. If it was permanent, it wouldn't even be a matter of discussion since most rental contracts do not allow permanent changes (i.e. installing a whole non-removable structure) to a rental property.

respdoc said:   phil2free said:    Honda is most likely offering a permanently installed 240V EVSE which will need to be installed.

Not quite...since their is nothing stating they do not expect the equipment back when the lease is up. Also on their website, it gives a "tips" section and says to make sure to check with your landlord before the 240 modification if you are renting. If it was permanent, it wouldn't even be a matter of discussion since most rental contracts do not allow permanent changes (i.e. installing a whole non-removable structure) to a rental property.

I'm using an NEC term for permanent. If something electrical is attached with screws it is considered permanent and must be hard wired - no plug and receptacle. Doesn't mean it can't be removed easily. Honda's FAQ mentions Levition and they sell their EVSEs both ways. The models with plugs require an install kit which has a bracket that the EVSE attaches to without any tools. This allows the EVSE to detach from the bracket without screws - so they can comply with the NEC by having a plug.

Seeing that Honda looks to be offering Leviton equipment, you are right, they are most likely offering the plug and receptacle type.

germanpope said:   sensia said:   With that 80 mile/charge you are not going anywhere close to the "unlimited miles", unless you take 4 hour rest every 80 miles for another charge. Other than brushing up your ecofriendly image, this lease offer is as bad as any other auto lease.

I repeat, a lease is still a lease no matter how you sugarcoat it. Even then, you can lease lease a Civic/Corolla far cheaper than $259/mo. Not sure which place of work has a free charging station but we definitely do not have one. In northeast electricity is not cheap. So driving an EV is not like zero dollar expense for fuel.
Regarding mileage part, I assume most would be buyers will used for commute. 80 miles per day for 5 days a week for 26 weeks sums upto 10400 miles. I am pretty sure no one will take this EV from NYC to Philly (90 miles) even under an ideal condition. I don't see how this lease any better than typical 12000miles/yr offers unless you run a cab service with 40 miles service area and wait god know how many hours between each drop off.
Once again, if you need to lease a car, go for cheaper alternatives. If you love to brag about an EV go for the Fit.
----
edit- I miscalculated the # of weeks to 26 which should be 53 instead. So that negates my concern about mileage. However, spending 10k at the end of 3 year with no car still makes lease a non starter. The so called free stuff that comes with this lease does not cost too much if purchased from open market.

sensia said:    I don't see how this lease any better than typical 12000miles/yr offers .

because this one is for a Fit EV which gives the intended audience ZERO FUEL COSTS (or minimal fuel costs).

oh yeah, this too: $259 due at signing, unlimited miles, includes zero-deductible collision cover, includes all maintenance, includes roadside assistance

80 miles/day in a Civic = ~$240 in gas per month. If you drive > 80mi/day you are not part of the intended audience.

sensia said:   germanpope said:   sensia said:   With that 80 mile/charge you are not going anywhere close to the "unlimited miles", unless you take 4 hour rest every 80 miles for another charge. Other than brushing up your ecofriendly image, this lease offer is as bad as any other auto lease.

I repeat, a lease is still a lease no matter how you sugarcoat it. Even then, you can lease lease a Civic/Corolla far cheaper than $259/mo. Not sure which place of work has a free charging station but we definitely do not have one. In northeast electricity is not cheap. So driving an EV is not like zero dollar expense for fuel.
Regarding mileage part, I assume most would be buyers will used for commute. 80 miles per day for 5 days a week for 26 weeks sums upto 10400 miles. I am pretty sure no one will take this EV from NYC to Philly (90 miles) even under an ideal condition. I don't see how this lease any better than typical 12000miles/yr offers unless you run a cab service with 40 miles service area and wait god know how many hours between each dropoff.
Once again, if you need to lease a car, go for cheaper alternatives. If you love to brag about an EV go for the Fit.

Sign me up!

I do see your point that electricity isn't free (though it's probably cheaper than gas), and I have also not seen a single charging station. Then again, I live in Kansas. Enough said.

Dang, that's sounds like a deal! Aall the dealerships are sold out BTW... LOL

I was at Nissan dealer in the Bay Area last weekend to shop for a Leaf. The sales guy said Nissan charges $1000 to install the charing station, and he also heard that someone got it installed from Home Depot for $800. YMMV

all the dealerships are sold out but they will order it for you and you will need to wait until then. You need to get pre-approved first. Its a process for people who really want the car

Skipping 98 Messages...
anyone able to find FIT stock norcal?

just sharing my experience shopping for leaf last week.

12k per year
I got the top of the line leaf with about $1200 in upgrade (360 degree camera)
3 year lease
2500 down but you get 2500 back from state
federal 7500 already deducted
it comes out to $300 + tax per month.

I was also told that I need to bring the car back for maintenance which can cost few hundred per visit.

wiru

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014