• Go to page :
  • 1 23
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
At Amazon, trade in your "like new" HP TouchPad 16GB or 32GB Tablet, and get up to a $125 credit. (The value of your trade-in is based on the condition of your tablet. Once your trade-in is complete, the credit will be applied to your Amazon account.) That's the best trade-in credit offer we've seen on these tablets at Amazon.

Click here to learn more about the Amazon trade-in program.

H/T dealnews

Amazon
Get Up to 5.0% Cash Back in the Following Departments:
Member Summary

HP TouchPad Tablet (42.29kB)
Thanks Valtron9000
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
While that is technically true, the nook 9" is only $150 and is much, much better hardware. Lighter, thinner, 1080p+ scr... (more)

schizo (Jul. 21, 2013 @ 11:03a) |

Grey1 (Jul. 22, 2013 @ 9:55a) |

its down to 45$ for a 16gb ver, no use trading it any more.

lapchaser (Sep. 18, 2013 @ 3:00p) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
    • Manufacturer › HP

OMG, I bought 2 of these during the firesale. How long ago was that now? I played on one briefly, and never opened the other! Damn hot deals sites!

Awesome! I got confirmation to ship. If the item doesnt met their standards, you can have it return shipped to you FREE.

about the price on craigslist.

Interesting how the price of the HP Touchpad has remained fairly consistent yet the BB Playbook which is still being sold is only $44 for trade-in. There must be an awful lot of people putting CM on the Touchpad!

It might have something to do with the 32GB model selling on Amazon for $340...

ViveLeRoi said:   Interesting how the price of the HP Touchpad has remained fairly consistent yet the BB Playbook which is still being sold is only $44 for trade-in. There must be an awful lot of people putting CM on the Touchpad!

My HP still works like new with CM and nightlys.

Touchpad is still a very good tablet with android on it. You can't find anything better in the 9.7" size for $125.

namlook said:   Touchpad is still a very good tablet with android on it. You can't find anything better in the 9.7" size for $125.

I agree and wouldn't trade my 32GB in for that price. Once I CM'd it, it got even better and I think $125 is a rip-off considering they're selling for twice that on their website..

hmmm, just sold my 16GB on CL for $110. Of course it had the miraculous plastic broken by one speaker. I think that was a good trade off for the Asus Vivo RT deal.

I'm trading in both of mine, thanks OP

namlook said:   Touchpad is still a very good tablet with android on it. You can't find anything better in the 9.7" size for $125.

Roger that, and HP definitely got the Li-Ion battery thing down right too. It's amazing how long it goes until you need to lean it against the charging stand.

"There must be an awful lot of people putting CM on the Touchpad"

What do you mean by "CM"? I have a 32 GB Touchpad and wonder if I'm missing something.

lilewis said:   What do you mean by "CM"? I have a 32 GB Touchpad and wonder if I'm missing something.

CyanogenMod is a modified version of Android. The Touchpad can basically be modified to run CM so that it can run all the apps from the Google Play store.

Wow.. I was getting close to selling mine because of the limited number of apps. That's a BIG deal.
Going to research it now. Is it easy to set up? Risky?

lilewis said:   "There must be an awful lot of people putting CM on the Touchpad"

What do you mean by "CM"? I have a 32 GB Touchpad and wonder if I'm missing something.

More info related to the HP Touch development from the link below include links to tutorial on how to turn your WebOS HP Touchpad into Android based Touchpad (CyanogenMod)
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1438158

I started with CM7 and now on CM9 and still able to dual boot back to WebOS if needed.

Thanks.
Will spend some time researching this.
One question though... was it a simple process or is it involved and risky?

great deal, this is as good as the HD DVD deal when that died. now to find a good deal to replace

I have read that with this install, if the battery is drained completely it won't turn back on even when the charger is connected. If that is the case Iam not sure if it is worth the risk.

SmartShopper said:   I have read that with this install, if the battery is drained completely it won't turn back on even when the charger is connected. If that is the case Iam not sure if it is worth the risk.

My battery has drained several times completely and I've been able to charge it fully again (CM9).

For those whose battery is dead and HP TouchPad doesn't seem to even charge when plugged in... I had two of mine did the same as they were kept in storage for over 6 months; you will need will the charger on for about 12-48 hours depending on how depleted the charge is from the minimum threshold necessary to start the tablet (even to show that battery is charging). I have zero issues with all my touchpads (5 - 32GB) since I bought it during firesale. At some point the battery's life will come to an end perhaps after 2-3 years? By then it would have served the best.

FYI: there are several reference for those who are interested even if 48 hours of charge did not work:
-- http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-touchpad/311491-how-i-revived-m...

it is rare, but yes there are cases when a touchpad runs out of juice and will NOT turn on. It is an issue with the battery circuit and the battery level going out of sync.
a dev (jcullins I think) made tpdebrick to fix.
It works and is a pretty easy (but you do need a linux box / boot disk)

I was so happy his tool brought back a 3 month dead Touchpad that I paypaled him a few bucks.

to the deal: this is tempting, if I had a 16 gb one I would jump on this, but I have 2 32's (along with cases and touchstones) so I would be down a hunk of money, having said that I have seen descent current gen tablets for $150 ish, so it would be a $25 dollar upgrade to a more powerful tablet, native to android, that would have hdmi out.

lilewis said:   Wow.. I was getting close to selling mine because of the limited number of apps. That's a BIG deal.
Going to research it now. Is it easy to set up? Risky?

After I downloaded the needed files, it took about five minutes to run. About the only risk I see is if you have to restore it because you didn't follow instructions.

Make sure you use ACMEInstaller2 NOT 3...

Mine is dead! Bought it, charged it, and then let it drain. Not computer savvy enough to try the fixes. I also bought extra chargers, a case, and it sits dead in the box! Should I sell it as is or buy a new battery? Would I be able to install it with ease? I

In order to sell as "Like New", I probably have to remove Android.

Do you think Amazon would take a bricked TouchPad in on Trade-In?...do they have people more computer savvy than myself that could fix a bricked TP?

"After I downloaded the needed files, it took about five minutes to run. About the only risk I see is if you have to restore it because you didn't follow instructions.
Make sure you use ACMEInstaller2 NOT 3..."

Thanks Sithmaster. I just restored it to factory defaults last week in order to sell in on eBay. I think I'll convert it to Android. Doing that is like giving a blind man sight!

lilewis said:   Thanks.

There is always a risk when modifying a device at the OS level, but the steps are pretty straightforward. If you are generally computer literate, you can do it and I believe there are a couple of YouTube videos out there showing the process so you will have an idea what the steps are supposed to look like. I think the trickiest parts are preparing the TouchPad and your computer so that they can communicate with each other. Once that's complete, installing CM is a breeze.

There is always a risk when modifying a device at the OS level, but the steps are pretty straightforward. If you are generally computer literate, you can do it and I believe there are a couple of YouTube videos out there showing the process so you will have an idea what the steps are supposed to look like. I think the trickiest parts are preparing the TouchPad and your computer so that they can communicate with each other. Once that's complete, installing CM is a breeze.

Pretty straight forward.

shallot said:   lilewis said:   Thanks.

Pretty straight forward.

Agree, very straight forward.

I have never "rooted" a device or "jail broke" a device, nor do I know what that means

But I did put android on my touchpad

Just played a YouTube video and did what he did....really easy

ViveLeRoi said:   Interesting how the price of the HP Touchpad has remained fairly consistent yet the BB Playbook which is still being sold is only $44 for trade-in. There must be an awful lot of people putting CM on the Touchpad! I wouldn't sell my touchpad for less than $200. Best hot deal I ever got. The thing just keeps on providing me good service. Kept in a good cover, bought some spare chargers when they went on stupid sale and it's the only reader I use. Dual boot it but keep it on the HP OS for the reader, much nicer than the android version I think.

legirons said:   ViveLeRoi said:   Interesting how the price of the HP Touchpad has remained fairly consistent yet the BB Playbook which is still being sold is only $44 for trade-in. There must be an awful lot of people putting CM on the Touchpad! I wouldn't sell my touchpad for less than $200. Best hot deal I ever got. The thing just keeps on providing me good service. Kept in a good cover, bought some spare chargers when they went on stupid sale and it's the only reader I use. Dual boot it but keep it on the HP OS for the reader, much nicer than the android version I think.

Yes WebOS truly is the best interface on tablet, the cards setup for multitasking is light years beyond what android or iOS allow. It's a shame that it is dying, I had a palm pre3 and my touchpad and those two worked together in amazing ways. I'm not heavily into apps and games, I just keep what I know on the phone. That webOS was definitely my favorite smartphone and tablet os.

I too have a touchstone, and a 32 GB tablet which is the only reason I am not trading mine in. It's still working fine and does what I want from my tablet, which isn't too much I guess.

Mine could not start and it only blinks the home button, I have been charging it with original HP charger for weeks, if not months. No luck.
will Amazon take it for 50$

gaffer said:   SmartShopper said:   I have read that with this install, if the battery is drained completely it won't turn back on even when the charger is connected. If that is the case Iam not sure if it is worth the risk.

My battery has drained several times completely and I've been able to charge it fully again (CM9).

Good luck. I was able to do that until one day the battery is totally drained. It has been sitting there for weeks (months) with the original USB charger attached. Once a while I press its power button to see if it could wake up. No luck, totally dead and only blinking home button.

CM10.1 just is starting to break out onto TouchPad.

That means, for those unaware, that just like OG Kindle Fire, the TouchPad is now a capable Android 4.2.2 tablet.

Don't trade it in right when it gets awesome!! I've given mine to my mom, and it's her first tablet. She loves it. And I love that she finally is stepping into the 21st century.

Have a 16gb Touchpad (best deal ever....wish I was in on it earlier and able to purchased a few more) that's not loaded with Android and I like it better than my android tablet ( a LePan from WalMart during holidays for around $140). Sure there are less apps, but for web browsing and email, find it a much better experience).

Well, I have 2 of the 32gb ones left. One had the battery drain issue and is bricked. I tried every tool know to man at the time (4-5 months ago) without luck, so I just opened it up just to see what was inside. The other is currently locked out (in CM) since my daughter put a pass on there and doesn't know what she put, lol. I'm in the process of restoring it though and may end up sending it in, or selling outright on eBay. The kids would rather something smaller at this point anyway.

I know I'm digressing here from the OP but you guys seem to know your stuff. I just looked at a Youtube video by Reverendkjr that explains what to do that's about 18 mo old, so if I follow his directions, I'll likely be downloading older files that have been already outdated.

Does anyone know where to go for the absolute latest updates and directions on installing Android I don't want to install out-of-date files then have to go thru the updates to get current.

Skipping 78 Messages...
its down to 45$ for a 16gb ver, no use trading it any more.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014