• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Use Coupon Code ADDALINE50 at checkout: link
Correction, only the second line is $149; however the 1st line is still $50 off at $199 (was $250 previously).

Also receive 1 month free ($19 off) if you use a link referred to from a friend.

Member Summary

phone
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer

Front/Back
Thanks Squonk
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
I couldn't agree more. I had an awful experience with this company. The phone service didnt work well, and customer se... (more)

Clocks (Jun. 13, 2013 @ 7:00a) |

@Clocks - I actually spoke with two lawyers (we have two in the family) about the "you're not allowed to sell/resell you... (more)

adidastio (Jun. 13, 2013 @ 9:55p) |

I still believe the best deal for smart phone with data would be the WalMart T-Mobile $30 prepaid plan. You get to bring... (more)

neverl8 (Jun. 14, 2013 @ 10:59a) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Ewwwww, Sprint reseller.

Hope they reduce price now that freedompop is going free... anyone Know their launch date?

dkd711 said:   Ewwwww, Sprint reseller.

Yes, it is a Sprint reseller. But keep in mind you have access to all Sprint towers AND Verizon towers under this plan (Verizon for roaming). But most importantly you spend most of your time on neither but rather on Wi-Fi, which I prefer. Much clearer calls and less dropped calls, especially if you're trying to make calls while in your basement.

And you can't beat $19/month for unlimited everything--I no longer have to worry about the phone company screwing up my bill every month and charging me butt-loads in stupid fees and usage charges. Of course you do only have 1 phone to choose from, which prevents a lot of people from using them I'm sure, but I don't mind it at all.

I'll wait to see what fPop has

$149. looks like the $50 off price for a second (add a) line; $199. for phone for first (new customer) line ??

darrin0 said:   

Yes, it is a Sprint reseller. But keep in mind you have access to all Sprint towers AND Verizon towers under this plan (Verizon for roaming). But most importantly you spend most of your time on neither but rather on Wi-Fi, which I prefer. Much clearer calls and less dropped calls, especially if you're trying to make calls while in your basement.

Using wifi is fine if you are sitting still. But many cell phone users use their phones while they are on the go, walking/driving. You chance losing your current wifi connection while using the phone, resulting in a dropped call.

I use this service and it works great for me. only draw back is no picture messages but you can work around by sending pics via email.

It uses Sprint's 3G network when not on wifi and the $50 off is for a second line.

And the other drawback, is their devices are awful. Why get a smartphone if it's going to be severely out of date? If you need a $19/month phone and want to use it primarily for calling, JMO there are better options like PagePlus.

outtawhack said:   And the other drawback, is their devices are awful. Why get a smartphone if it's going to be severely out of date? If you need a $19/month phone and want to use it primarily for calling, JMO there are better options like PagePlus.

They are expected to release a new phone by the end of summer. This is probably them just clearing out their old inventory. I don't understand all the hate for this plan. You are right it's not for everyone. But you don't need to knock all the people who this plan is actually useful to.

If you have good signal for lyca mobile I prefer that I am using last four month at Zip 08205 NO problem at all

I LOVE Republic Wireless. Used to pay T-Mo almost $100 a month for what increasingly became CRAPPY service and despite dozens of phone calls to the nicest people in the TMO call center I never got a straight answer as to what was going on with their network. Switched to Republic Wireless 4 months ago and haven't looked back - Wi-Fi for talking is a lifesaver!! They announced a sale today on the Motorola DEFY XT - in some cases as low as $29 ... hope this is in preparation for new handsets soon.

lcgable said:   I LOVE Republic Wireless. Used to pay T-Mo almost $100 a month for what increasingly became CRAPPY service and despite dozens of phone calls to the nicest people in the TMO call center I never got a straight answer as to what was going on with their network. Switched to Republic Wireless 4 months ago and haven't looked back - Wi-Fi for talking is a lifesaver!! They announced a sale today on the Motorola DEFY XT - in some cases as low as $29 ... hope this is in preparation for new handsets soon.

Yea, my Sprint contract is up in November. I'm definitely waiting for republics new phone. Even though Sprint service leaves much to be desired this will be perfect for me.

When I had RW, it was ok, I remember about 5 Total occasions (Over a year) where it connected to the WRONG Number. Very annoying. Cannot receive or send Short Code SMS (Less than 10 digits) and strange outages
Good Wifi, when it was in a proper wifi zone.

outtawhack said:   And the other drawback, is their devices are awful. Why get a smartphone if it's going to be severely out of date? If you need a $19/month phone and want to use it primarily for calling, JMO there are better options like PagePlus.

https://www.pagepluscellular.com/plans/6995/

70 a month and data isn't unlimited? No thanks I'll pay 20 for unlimited everything. I don't understand your comparison here honestly.

Devices work just fine. NO problems it doesn't do 4G big deal! Sprint has charged me an extra $10 per line for the privilege of having a 4G capable phone and the have almost NO 4G except major cities. Republic Wireless 3 phones $60 / mo. compared to Sprints over $200/ mo. for 3 smart phones. I'm not that mad at my money!

brad111 said:   I use this service and it works great for me. only draw back is no picture messages but you can work around by sending pics via email.

You are correct but I simply send pictures to the relevant email address (eg, 0001234567@vzwpix.com). You only have to save the email address once in google contacts and then it becomes Seamless.com.

I love this service and roaming on Verizon allows me to make calls outside of the Sprint network up in the Adirondacks without worry. Calling over wifi works great; approximately 60% of all my calls are via wifi.

RW is expected to come out with 3 new phones late summer that promise several upgrades, including 4G.

Note: for whatever reason, fat wallet edits the word s-e-a-m-l-e-s-s to Seamless.com.com

Are we sure RW roams on Verizon when Sprint isn't available? I have done a moderate amount of research on RW and never read that. If that's true, this is a great deal. I'm with PagePlus simply because Sprint's network won't cut it for where I work/live/play, and PagePlus uses Verizon as the primary network.

bxd20 said:   Are we sure RW roams on Verizon when Sprint isn't available? I have done a moderate amount of research on RW and never read that. If that's true, this is a great deal. I'm with PagePlus simply because Sprint's network won't cut it for where I work/live/play, and PagePlus uses Verizon as the primary network.

Nevermind, I confirmed roaming on Verizon, not sure why I never came across this before.

See-Net has even commented on the deal:
get a republic wireless no contract android phone for $199

OP please fix title

If anyone just wants to use wifi calling only, there's a much cheaper way to do it.

1023pm said:   If anyone just wants to use wifi calling only, there's a much cheaper way to do it.

Wifi primarily is a world away from wifi only.

I had this service for 6 months. The total cost is around $24 after taxes. I couldn't stand the phone which barely had enough memory for me to have Google maps, Pandora and facebook apps. Navigation Maps would freeze. Phone would occasionally restart if under too much memory use . It would over heat if you had it recharging while using the navigation. You also get a bit of echo while calling on Wi-Fi. I switched to HTC One, T-Mobile. They had $50 incentive to switch and 100 to trade in my Defy XT from Republic. Calls are now great, I have 4 G service in Orlando. Cost is $85 a month for 2 phones, 1 with unlimited data. Thanks to their 15% military discount. This phone is super fast, as fast as any S4. It's very stylish, the prettiest phone I've ever seen. The battery life is wonderful. Full day use with a single charge. Quad core processor, 1080P picture, 2 gigs of memory. Sound is good with the built in beats speakers. It takes amazing photos and videos. The recorder picks sound up perfectly, great for lectures. It even has a anti virus. I just wish it was waterproof . With T-Mobile , in a few years, I can add my twins for only $10 more each. That's where the savings is. If you have a large family, T-Mobile will end up costing about the same or less, 5 phones will cost about the same as Republic with out having to use their outdated equipment. Defy on Republic is running Android 2. Something it's like 3 years old . And it shows. Even with the new phones supposedly comming out. If it's anything less then a Nexus 4, then they are managing their business the wrong way. I'm willing to bet the new phone will be a cheap version of Samsung S2. Still old and outdated, they will probably charge 300 for it, lol.

i used to think this would be a great business model until I realized they were charging $200 per device ... even at $150 it is not great. EG i already own a smartphone (or anyone can get one for around $50 on eBay) and my tmobile prepay is $30 per month 1500 talk text /30mb data. After taxes I would only be saving $6 per month plus I'd need to buy a new phone....

I'm looking for an app to get my unlimited 4g to hub WiFi for my home network. To cut my 55 a month brighthouse bill. I heardthey have it for HTC phones.

soilderboy said:   I'm looking for an app to get my unlimited 4g to hub WiFi for my home network. To cut my 55 a month brighthouse bill. I heardthey have it for HTC phones.

It's called Klink. Klink to a Linux box or use Windows ICS from there.

Klink is the best USB tethering solution, only one I'm aware of to tap the NDK for proxy optimization.

I am wondering how long republic wireless can last after freedompop starts their free service.

yangbin said:   I am wondering how long republic wireless can last after freedompop starts their free service.

Freedom pop has a great plan too, but they charge for every Gig after their free allotted amount. If you use about 2.5Gigs FP and RW cost about the same. But this technology is new, and not as easy as most people think it is.

Personally I'm just more pleased with RW's ingenuity when I see things like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STP3g0nJHL4

FP has horrible reviews on customer service. I will consider getting my kids some FP so I don't have to pay for the service when they actually roll out the plans.

soilderboy said:   I had this service for 6 months. The total cost is around $24 after taxes. I couldn't stand the phone which barely had enough memory for me to have Google maps, Pandora and facebook apps. Navigation Maps would freeze. Phone would occasionally restart if under too much memory use . It would over heat if you had it recharging while using the navigation. You also get a bit of echo while calling on Wi-Fi. I switched to HTC One, T-Mobile. They had $50 incentive to switch and 100 to trade in my Defy XT from Republic. Calls are now great, I have 4 G service in Orlando. Cost is $85 a month for 2 phones, 1 with unlimited data. Thanks to their 15% military discount. This phone is super fast, as fast as any S4. It's very stylish, the prettiest phone I've ever seen. The battery life is wonderful. Full day use with a single charge. Quad core processor, 1080P picture, 2 gigs of memory. Sound is good with the built in beats speakers. It takes amazing photos and videos. The recorder picks sound up perfectly, great for lectures. It even has a anti virus. I just wish it was waterproof . With T-Mobile , in a few years, I can add my twins for only $10 more each. That's where the savings is. If you have a large family, T-Mobile will end up costing about the same or less, 5 phones will cost about the same as Republic with out having to use their outdated equipment. Defy on Republic is running Android 2. Something it's like 3 years old . And it shows. Even with the new phones supposedly comming out. If it's anything less then a Nexus 4, then they are managing their business the wrong way. I'm willing to bet the new phone will be a cheap version of Samsung S2. Still old and outdated, they will probably charge 300 for it, lol.

Maybe you had a bad phone? I have Pandora, Sygic navigation, eBay, Drudge, ESPN.com, TuneIn Radio, Skype, Dolphin and several other apps with no problem. I did move them all to my 64G card. I've felt the phone get warm when charging and navigating but not hot and it easily holds a charge for a day (2-3 days if I'm at home and turn off cell to use wifi only). The only thing I see that you mentioned that is true is the 3G vs 4G, yeah, 3G is slow but 4G is rumored with the next phone(s). You're paying $85/month for 2 phones....I'm paying half that for 2 phones and very happy. My daughter is on Straight Talk and it would take her 6-7 months on RW to break even (after purchasing the RW phone) and then the savings start. I can also say that their tech support (web/email interaction except for call backs) has been very fast and top notch.

Everyone has different expectations I guess. For < $20/month, I didn't expect an iPhone and am very happy with RW so far.

I've been a member of Republic Wireless since they started in Nov. 2011. My recommendation to anyone considering this phone service - RUN!!!

If you are looking for a phone that 'just works', RW is not that company. There is SO MUCH tinkering and fiddling with the phone, and when that doesn't work you'll get all kinds of ridiculous suggestions at their crowd-sourced forums to go out and buy new routers and gateway hardware just to get the phone to work ADEQUATELY.

For every customer that is 'happy, very happy, extremely happy' and every other flavor of happy, there are an equal number of people who are not and have already left the service. I used to be happy, but only at the beginning when the service was brand new, but that euphoria of only spending $19/month wore off after 3 months when it became apparent that what RW was selling and marketing was not the reality of the actual product. In other words, quite a bit of false advertising and "pie in the sky" taglines to get you to sign up.

With them raising the price to $29 to get the cheaper phone, there are MANY more options out there now for that price that are WAY better.

Definitely do A LOT of research on RW if you are even contemplating trying them out. Consumer Reports and the WSJ video by Walt Mossberg gave it a thumbs down, and PCMag and LaptopMag gave the phone an "F".

If you have RW and are absolutely frustrated with their 'we hide behind our website' approach to customer service, get off of their forums, community, emails and support tickets merry-go-round and just call them for customer service. Yelp has customer service phone numbers to reach actual, live people. http://www.yelp.com/biz/republic-wireless-cary-3

adidastio said:   I've been a member of Republic Wireless since they started in Nov. 2011. My recommendation to anyone considering this phone service - RUN!!!

If you are looking for a phone that 'just works', RW is not that company.

I couldn't agree more. I had an awful experience with this company. The phone service didnt work well, and customer service was mostly unavailable. And at the end I was stuck with a phone they would not let me resell, even to another RW customer.

@Clocks - I actually spoke with two lawyers (we have two in the family) about the "you're not allowed to sell/resell your RW phone" retort that you get from RW officials, and they both agreed that since the phone is an outright purchase, and not a lease or rental, that RW would never have any legal recourse to defend that position in court (if they were that foolish and desperate to take it that far), despite whatever they try to put in some TOS agreement.

They both looked at me and said, "What whacko company is this again?" Haha..that made me laugh.

They further added how ludicrous that was, and how it would be like Ford telling you that you couldn't sell your fully-purchased, paid-off car to a private individual.

And with more MVNO's partnering with Sprint, and them now offering BYOD (Ting, for example), I'm sure there will be someone that will allow you to bring a RW Defy XT to their carrier, although it would probably require a ROM flashing back to OEM status beforehand.

I still believe the best deal for smart phone with data would be the WalMart T-Mobile $30 prepaid plan. You get to bring your own device (albeit T-Mobile compatible/GSM), but you get 4G speed, unlimited data (first 5GB at 4G speed then slows) unlimited text and 100 min voice. Great for those that don't talk much like my kids who text and surfs the web. After tax, bill comes to $32 compared with $25 for RW. Yes, $7 difference but you get to use the latest device as well as data speed that would count for me. I'm sure many will disagree that they need more minutes, well use google voice with GrooveIP. Just my $0.03 (inflation added)

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014