• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Samsung 840 Pro 512GB 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive (SSD) - $419 - After instant coupon

Compare at Amazon $468.04
Compare at Newegg $519.99

Linky

This item has to be purchased from the merchant beach camera.

Also, this item qualifies for 10% back in Rakuten Super Points (Worth $41.90)

So technically, the total cost would be $377.10

Rakuten.com Shopping
See Rakuten.com Shopping discounts that earn Up to 10.5% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

ssd (14.49kB)
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:

Wow, they make you jump through hoops just to check prices from other sellers. You have to go the final order screen in order to get the price and then try and find a way to remove the item from your cart. High pressure sales tactic if you ask me.

not really a hot deal compared to 30% back in points earlier, I bought 2 256gb ones for $140 each

Some clarifications on the Rakuten Super Points:

1. The only Rakuten Super Point campaign valid today is for 10% back in networking so this 840 Pro does not qualify since it is not considered networking.
2. The "Save $60.00 off SKU 242299160 automatically from beach camera on Rakuten.com" on this Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD negates any Rakuten Super Point offers since they cannot be combined so 1. above is a moot point anyway. (As explained in other Rakuten Super Point FW threads yes Rakuten Super Points may initially post to your Rakuten Super Point account but they will disappear 99% of the time before they become valid when an instant savings coupon like this one is applied to your order.
3. Earning and keeping Rakuten Super Points to the point of being able to cash them in when using affiliate Cash Back site such as FW and eBates is also another YMMV.

Bottom line: Rakuten Super Points should never be considered in the "cost" of an item If you actually get them and keep them to the point of being able to cash them in the consider it a nice rebate. Otherwise you are SOL with no means of appeal from Rakuten or your credit card company.

blueribb said:   Wow, they make you jump through hoops just to check prices from other sellers. You have to go the final order screen in order to get the price and then try and find a way to remove the item from your cart. High pressure sales tactic if you ask me.

Many other websites do the same when they think prices are really good, including Amazon.

At Rakuten there is a way to find out prices before getting to the checkout section:

You can see how many Super Points you get before checking out.

For example:

If they say:
10% Super Points
And the order would earn you 4000 points

Divide 4000/10 = 400

Item price = $400

namcongtu said:   not really a hot deal compared to 30% back in points earlier, I bought 2 256gb ones for $140 each

You would have to compare apples to apples.

2x 256GB SSDs is not the same as 1x 512GB SSD

In most laptops you cannot use two 7mm SSDs

cnIsfg said:   Some clarifications on the Rakuten Super Points:

1. The only Rakuten Super Point campaign valid today is for 10% back in networking so this 840 Pro does not qualify since it is not considered networking.
2. The "Save $60.00 off SKU 242299160 automatically from beach camera on Rakuten.com" on this Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD negates any Rakuten Super Point offers since they cannot be combined so 1. above is a moot point anyway. (As explained in other Rakuten Super Point FW threads yes Rakuten Super Points may initially post to your Rakuten Super Point account but they will disappear 99% of the time before they become valid when an instant savings coupon like this one is applied to your order.
3. Earning and keeping Rakuten Super Points to the point of being able to cash them in when using affiliate Cash Back site such as FW and eBates is also another YMMV.

Bottom line: Rakuten Super Points should never be considered in the "cost" of an item If you actually get them and keep them to the point of being able to cash them in the consider it a nice rebate. Otherwise you are SOL with no means of appeal from Rakuten or your credit card company.

These clarifications are incorrect:
About the previous points:
1) Incorrect:
"Super Point Promotion: 10X Super Points on select Solid State Drives"

2) Incorrect.
You CAN use the coupon AND receive Super Points.
"This order will earn: 4,190 Super Points"

3) This is a bit confusing. If you earn Rakuten Super Points then you can use them after they become available and before they expire.
Also, I have used Super Points to make purchases and I still receive Cash Back if I use FW's link.

suppose there are some hoops to go through but not bad deal.

xpolarx said:   cnIsfg said:   Some clarifications on the Rakuten Super Points:

These clarifications are incorrect:
About the previous points:
1) Incorrect:
"Super Point Promotion: 10X Super Points on select Solid State Drives"

2) Incorrect.
You CAN use the coupon AND receive Super Points.
"This order will earn: 4,190 Super Points"

3) This is a bit confusing. If you earn Rakuten Super Points then you can use them after they become available and before they expire.
Also, I have used Super Points to make purchases and I still receive Cash Back if I use FW's link.

If you look on Rakuten's under current super point campaigns there is NO 10x on SSDs for marketplace sellers so you are wrong again. Plus, No disrespect but you are extremely na´ve when it comes to Rakuten Super Points and your assumptions are completely wrong. Any coupon or affiliate site puts Rakuten Super Points in jeopardy. There are numerous other FW threads that cooberate what I posted. My experience come from over 100 Rakuten orders since they started Rakuten Super Point promotions. It sounds like you erroneous assumptions are based on Rakuten Super Points posting to your acct vs actually remaining there unit valid.

xpolarx said:   namcongtu said:   not really a hot deal compared to 30% back in points earlier, I bought 2 256gb ones for $140 each

in fact more SSDs are used for desktops than laptops, more lower capacity SSDs sold than high capacity such as 512GB because of its cost, my family has 2 laptops but 4 desktops, all use SSDs. Of course it depends for what you need it for, most people buy SSDs are for speed, you pay for speed, 2 256GB ones configured in RAID 0 could reach around 1GB/s in read n write, double speed than single 512gb so since you are willing to pay for speed why pay more for a single 512GB while 2 256GBs are much cheaper and faster

ivanbrown said:   suppose there are some hoops to go through but not bad deal.

There are no hoops to go through.

When you add the item to the cart the coupon is automatically applied.

namcongtu said:   xpolarx said:   namcongtu said:   not really a hot deal compared to 30% back in points earlier, I bought 2 256gb ones for $140 each

in fact more SSDs are used for desktops than laptops, more lower capacity SSDs sold than high capacity such as 512GB because of its cost, my family has 2 laptops but 4 desktops, all use SSDs. Of course it depends for what you need it for, most people buy SSDs are for speed, you pay for speed, 2 256GB ones configured in RAID 0 could reach around 1GB/s in read n write, double speed than single 512gb so since you are willing to pay for speed why pay more for a single 512GB while 2 256GBs are much cheaper and faster

Good to know, where did you find the data about people buying SSDs mostly for desktops?

My case is the opposite since I have two laptops with SSDs and I sold my last desktop PC five years ago.

I agree that it is faster and cheaper to have two 256GB SSDs in RAID 0 than a single 512 GB. (If you have a desktop)

If you have a laptop then again you have no option.

Also, if you want more capacity you can use two 512GB SSDs in RAID 0 to go up to 1TB.

My point is that people's needs will vary on a case-by-case basis and that's why we see SSDs with different speed, capacity, and price.

xpolarx said:   namcongtu said:   xpolarx said:   namcongtu said:   not really a hot deal compared to 30% back in points earlier, I bought 2 256gb ones for $140 each

Good to know, where did you find the data about people buying SSDs mostly for desktops?

My case is the opposite since I have two laptops with SSDs and I sold my last desktop PC five years ago.

I agree that it is faster and cheaper to have two 256GB SSDs in RAID 0 than a single 512 GB. (If you have a desktop)

If you have a laptop then again you have no option.

Also, if you want more capacity you can use two 512GB SSDs in RAID 0 to go up to 1TB.

My point is that people's needs will vary on a case-by-case basis and that's why we see SSDs with different speed, capacity, and price.

I can't afford to pay $800 for 2 512GB SSDs, if I could I def wouldn't, 2 120GBs for about $150 are more than enough to run the os and apps, anything else the 3TB external for $100 would take care

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014