• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
http://rsvp2.applersvp.com/us/sections/summer_camps/stores

At Apple Camp, kids ages 8-12 learn how to shoot their own footage, create an original song in GarageBand on an iPad, and put it all together in iMovie on a Mac. This free workshop, held at Apple Retail Stores, spans three days and ends with campers debuting their masterpieces at the Apple Camp Film Festival. Space is limited and workshops fill up quickly, so sign up now for a super-creative adventure.*

Member Summary

apple camp
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts

archena (Jun. 21, 2013 @ 12:16p) |

Thanks, just signed my son up!

TheWankeler (Jun. 21, 2013 @ 1:45p) |

We too were disappointed in the whole operation. Apple said that the viewing would be a memorable experience and it wa... (more)

jmpjr (Jul. 20, 2013 @ 11:18a) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Good one!

nice, and this year they do have spaces left.

good deal OP. they should give away the mac used by the child to keep for free

tmc said:   they should give away the mac used by the child to keep for free

am ready to be a kid then

Long for the days when camp used to be associated with camping.

tmc said:   good deal OP. they should give away the mac used by the child to keep for free

I will register if they raise the age limit by 20.

Anyone know if this would be fun for kids without a Mac? My kids have iPod Touch 5s, but Win laptops.

Wow, thanks op. I think. It sounds like a cool camp. I was able to enroll all three of my kids. It says that parents must stay in the store for the whole time that kids are there. I hope this not going to become 7 hours of kids begging for Apple products. We do have a laptop, ipad and ipod touches, but I'm sure there's always something better....

luvbugium said:   I hope this not going to become 7 hours of kids begging for Apple products.

what do you think is the whole point?

"here timmy, have some Kool-Aid"

jcantanixon said:   Anyone know if this would be fun for kids without a Mac? My kids have iPod Touch 5s, but Win laptops.My son did it last year and had a lot of fun. We don't own a single Apple product.

Cool. Thanks OP.

For those that went in previous years, how important is having a video camera? It says one isn't required, but wasn't sure. Thanks.

Great Thanks !

thanx op.
if only i was a kid again, and be in the states.
looks like only good for good ole usa*sigh*

When I was a kid, I remember going to an Apple summer camp at a local computer shop. They taught us typing if we didn't already know how, how to use a mouse, how to draw in Logo with the turtle, but mostly I remember playing Asteroids (or whatever the version of it on the Mac at the time was called.)

Good times.

super green OP, spaces still left ... got confirmations quickly with date/times

Do not dress up as a kid and ask for a free Mac. Phil Schiller will come out from behind the Genius Bar with his taser.

Source: Me... mostly because I've run into the guy too many times, too many escalators/elevators.

I hear they tell the kids to throw their shoes away and teach them how to smoke weed. Poof...instant fanbois.

I have been waiting for this. Thanks! Parent are expected to be there, and there is even a Parent workshop.

thanks, just sign my kid up.

I had two kids in the camp last year. If you don't have a video camera they will let you use one to shoot footage at the store. Overall I was pretty disappointed in the whole operation. My kids really worked on their projects and the viewing was a real bust. In fact, they didn't show most of the kids work but somehow spent 5 minutes on video obviously shot by a parent of their kids playing with a cat.

During the class you are not allowed to leave the store. You will be wrangled into a training session where they will walk you through how to use iLife. The kids do get their own apple usb drive bracelet though. The program is free so it's hard to truly complain.

very nice! thanks OP

My kids did this last year and had a lot of fun. They made their own video with an ipod touch and then were taught how to edit and add special effects. We then came in early one saturday morning where they showed all of the kids videos. I never felt any pressure to buy anything. The average and ideal age is about 8-9 but there were kids in the full range. Hey it is free and a summer camp they get to do.

mrmonty said:   Long for the days when camp used to be associated with camping.

Yeah, and every one of those campers back then would have killed to be using the technology that's now available in an iPod Touch.

Thanks OP. I wWas able to sing up my kid for the event. This is the first time we would be attending the event and I am already excited for it.

signed up for my son. This is his first time. Thanks

my area all full, I signed up under waiting list. anyone know likelihood of ppl getting in on waiting list? tia

wiru

wiru said:   my area all full, I signed up under waiting list. anyone know likelihood of ppl getting in on waiting list? tia

wiru

Pretty good. Did they give you a number or place? I signup up first and asked questions later. Sure others did the same. Better to reserve a slot with hope for changing to something else when realization that it conflicts with this or that than to hope for getting in from await list or trying to get on a long/full wait list. Cancellation (polite), change or no-show is probably fairly high.

macosx said:   wiru said:   my area all full, I signed up under waiting list. anyone know likelihood of ppl getting in on waiting list? tia

wiru

Pretty good. Did they give you a number or place? I signup up first and asked questions later. Sure others did the same. Better to reserve a slot with hope for changing to something else when realization that it conflicts with this or that than to hope for getting in from await list or trying to get on a long/full wait list. Cancellation (polite), change or no-show is probably fairly high.

no number or place other than I am on waiting list. the email did mention that they will confirm one day prior to the camp. I bet by then, anyone who does not confirm will be cancelled. thanks for the positive reply, fingers crossed

heathriel said:   When I was a kid, I remember going to an Apple summer camp at a local computer shop. They taught us typing if we didn't already know how, how to use a mouse, how to draw in Logo with the turtle, but mostly I remember playing Asteroids (or whatever the version of it on the Mac at the time was called.)

Good times.

When I was a kid we went to summer camp without Apples and we learned how to swim & camp out & pitch tents and make fires (and put them out) responsibly and hike in the woods and learn to use a compass and read comics at night and fish and tell scary ghost stories and make Smores around a campfire and learned the joy of community without a single mouse or keyboard or ANYTHING...I realize times have changed...I'm just sayin.....GOOD TIMES!!

galvodog10 said:   heathriel said:   When I was a kid, I remember going to an Apple summer camp at a local computer shop. They taught us typing if we didn't already know how, how to use a mouse, how to draw in Logo with the turtle, but mostly I remember playing Asteroids (or whatever the version of it on the Mac at the time was called.)

Good times.

When I was a kid we went to summer camp without Apples and we learned how to swim & camp out & pitch tents and make fires (and put them out) responsibly and hike in the woods and learn to use a compass and read comics at night and fish and tell scary ghost stories and make Smores around a campfire and learned the joy of community without a single mouse or keyboard or ANYTHING...I realize times have changed...I'm just sayin.....GOOD TIMES!!

Give it a few more years, all you are going to have to do is to put on VR (virtual reality) helmet on. Even going to Apple camp will be luxury real life experience.

My (then 9yo) son did it last year. He had fun, got a free shirt with some patches and a wristband jump drive. No pressure to buy anything and younger sister got to hang out and play on the laptops. We did not compose songs and the viewing party was painful. Some videos were endless with no point and no plot, a very few were worth watching as the staff helped with technology vs. guidance on how to create a cool video. Overall a good way to kill a few hours in the air conditioning if you have the free time.

Is it worth going only the saturday session, by skipping the first two on week days?

IndianInUSA said:   Is it worth going only the saturday session, by skipping the first two on week days?

Given that the third day is for screening the videos that get made on the first two days, no.

Thanks Op! Signed up maaa kids!

Thanks, just signed my son up!

andwhen said:   I had two kids in the camp last year. If you don't have a video camera they will let you use one to shoot footage at the store. Overall I was pretty disappointed in the whole operation. My kids really worked on their projects and the viewing was a real bust. In fact, they didn't show most of the kids work but somehow spent 5 minutes on video obviously shot by a parent of their kids playing with a cat.

During the class you are not allowed to leave the store. You will be wrangled into a training session where they will walk you through how to use iLife. The kids do get their own apple usb drive bracelet though. The program is free so it's hard to truly complain.

We too were disappointed in the whole operation. Apple said that the viewing would be a memorable experience and it was.... just not the way they intended. They called the day before to push the viewing back an hour because of technical issues with the store monitors. When we got there, the technical issues was still an issue. It was promoted as "We will show everyone videos on the store monitors." Then they changed it to the 27" monitors. Then it was we will show them by request. Finally it was "Here is your USB, you can watch it on one of the store computers.

As my son said, "WOTM -waste of the morning"

I realize it was free but not what I expected from Apple.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014