• Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
This is the first time I'm posting an item from eBay, so please forgive me if I'm misreading it...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-PALM-PIXI-PLUS-8GB-VERIZON-SMARTPHONE-CELL-PHONE-WEB-OS-/300903311461

NEW PALM PIXI PLUS 8GB VERIZON SMARTPHONE CELL PHONE WEB OS

sold by electronics-4u (I don't know anything about them, to be honest)

The price is pretty good @ $37.99 with free shipping. it has been a long time since I've seen the phone at this price.

This phone is great for pageplus

It has internet, music, email, messaging, camera, and most importantly, it can make phone calls!

Please let me know if I need to add more information to this post and thank you for reading this thread.

Member Summary

palm pixi (16.04kB)
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Decent phone, good OS, terrible support. Folks should know that WebOS is very much so dead (aside from the various onlin... (more)

atomicfire (Jun. 21, 2013 @ 8:14a) |

I love my Palm Pixi Plus, but wasn't aware of all these security holes. Maybe I should move over to the pre 2?
Thanks for... (more)

kingaroonie (Jun. 21, 2013 @ 8:23a) |

momotarosan (Aug. 11, 2013 @ 9:42a) |

  • Also categorized in:

The seller has a ton of reviews and they are good, so it's probably a safe buy. I notice they have some for about $5 cheaper on bid. So, there is a chance to pick it up for even cheaper if you aren't outbid. Otherwise the "buy it now" price is good.

Green for your. Such a polite poster who anticipates and is forthright. Nice job... No wonder 5K...

Good little phones. I paid $24 or so for mine a couple years ago at DailySteals. If you can pick up the charging back and base cheaply, they are awesome! The OS is getting a little old, but still very usable and efficient especially for people who are new to smartphones or why can't figure out Android or Apple and just want stuff to work. Plenty of apps for the casual user, unfortunately many of them are quite old now, but still useful.

webOS 1 devices are no longer security maintained. If you are going to use this, I highly suggest not associating any Google/Microsoft/etc accounts with the built in apps, and do not give the web browser any trusted information.

Same goes for anything webOS, but Pixi and Pre 1 both have well documented exploits.

It's a fine page plus device, and not a bad MP3 player. Just be careful and don't give the device any trusted data, including passwords of importance.

Source: Me - I've worked with HP and warned them about this crap.

WebOS was best ever. But even with a Pre 2 I found the phone getting a bit long in the tooth. Slow to react. But I miss it already.

I love how this fits in my pocket. Good phone for PagePlus for sure. Works well for music as well and even videos if they aren't too long.

Spend an extra 12 bucks and get a gently used Droid Incredible, you can find them for <$50 on eBay...you'll only be a couple years behind instead of a decade. The pixi's camera/video is terrible, and there are no apps. I do not miss mine at all (too many cards error is just annoying). I've had my Incredible on PP for a year with no problems.

Incredible

This is a great little phone. My daughter had two of them and now has a Pre2. I had a Pre+ and later the very rare Verizon Pre3. I really loved WebOs. Its a real shame HP killed it.

I ended up moving on to an Iphone about 6 months ago mostly due to the apps. From my experience WebOS had good email and calendar integration and the Touchstone charging was the bomb....
No one else did the wireless charging like Palm.

FYI, there was a bad batch a couple years ago. Rattle in earpiece making it unbearable to listen. I was unfortunate to get three bad ones. All in trash now.

Damn WebOs sill lives.

ArmchairQB said:   Damn WebOs sill lives.

True, it's now owned by LG which is primarily using it for Smart TV design. The JS/UI framework, Enyo, is jointly being developed by HP and LG (though neither is really putting a lot of effort into it).

You can even install Open webOS 1.0 atop Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and turn your PC into a webOS box - not that it works great today, but hopefully LG won't wuss out.

I have experience with a palm pre plus and droid x, guess which is better? Pre plus had the speaker blow out which is a common problem since the volume is too low, screen is tiny, no google maps, apps sucks compared to android, slow processor, can't transfer files to a computer from it, etc. Just stick with an android, way better!

suderduperloo00p said:   I have experience with a palm pre plus and droid x, guess which is better? Pre plus had the speaker blow out which is a common problem since the volume is too low, screen is tiny, no google maps, apps sucks compared to android, slow processor, can't transfer files to a computer from it, etc. Just stick with an android, way better!

If you want apps, webOS is not for you. Not now anyways...

These are great phones for people that want PagePlus voice and wireless charging, with casual text and picture messaging.

Everything else, use a Droid Incredible, Galaxy S, or even a Droid Incredible 2 if you're a gambling person (HTC may still offer Android 4.0 as promised for it).

asuka said:   

If you want apps, webOS is not for you. Not now anyways...

These are great phones for people that want PagePlus voice and wireless charging, with casual text and picture messaging.

Everything else, use a Droid Incredible, Galaxy S, or even a Droid Incredible 2 if you're a gambling person (HTC may still offer Android 4.0 as promised for it).


Question: are there any PagePlus compatible phones that can also use current version operating system software?
Android 4.12, for example.
And additionally: that PagePlus won't require paying for a data plan. I prefer the Palm Pixi's ability to use WiFi for internet access, but also isn't mandated to use a data plan from PagePlus. Just the minimal $10 every 4 months for 100 minutes of call time.

vailr said:   
Question: are there any PagePlus compatible phones that can also use current version operating system software?
Android 4.12, for example.
And additionally: that PagePlus won't require paying for a data plan. I prefer the Palm Pixi's ability to use WiFi, but also isn't mandated to use a data plan from PagePlus.


PagePlus doesn't require a data plan - that's one of the key benefits, VZW voice but no requirement for smartphone data.

Unfortunately, Page Plus can't use VZW LTE phones, not without hacking anyways. The highest end Verizon 3G/CDMA phone is the Droid Incredible 2 that I mentioned, still "promised" to be updated to Android 4.0.

Page Plus was just acquired by Tracfone, and the iPhone 5 on Straight Talk (Tracfone) is Verizon-powered, presumably, eventually Verizon will grant them LTE access... but no idea on pricing or how that may change the value prop.

There are no Jelly Bean Verizon CDMA phones. You can hack Jelly Bean onto older phones, heck a Droid 3 can run it, but the experience certainly isn't enjoyable.

Personally, my advice is to use two devices; a T-Mobile or Straight Talk smartphone for data (like Nexus 4) and a Page Plus phone (like Palm Pixi) for voice. My PP device is a Motorola SLVR L7c.

Have this on the PP $12 plan. Perfect phone. It's not for apps or data. It's fine for what it is, a cheap phone. I wouldn't pay 37, got mine for like 25 a year ago because of suppliers dumping these like crazy.

My Palm Pixi screen crapped out last week, and I needed a replacement, fast. I purchased the replacement Palm Pixi from electronics 4 u, and I had a very good expereince with them. The phone is new, but not in original box. The battery was DOA, and they quickly sent a replacement, no need to waste time or $$ returning the DOA battery. All in all, a good experience, and I was able to get it on auction for $35. Best deal I could find at the time, most other retailers are pricing this phone at $60, which is ridiculous.

Btw - the seller would not confirm that this phone could be used on the PP network. I was fairly certain it would not be an issue, and thankfully, it was not. A quick call to PP to do the ESN swap, & I'm back in business! I use the $80 prepaid cards on it, data only through Wi-Fi, a few apps and mostly texting. I avg $10/mo usage, so this little phone works well for my needs.

I got mine for less than $10 off craigslist a year ago and I use it solely for wi-fi access when in a pinch. You can browse many sites (but not all) and sync email accounts however there are only a few old apps that run on PalmOs and it is a slow experience (old CPU), don't expect miracles. If you need updated apps and a faster experience overall you should skip this phone.

asuka said:   ArmchairQB said:   Damn WebOs sill lives.

True, it's now owned by LG which is primarily using it for Smart TV design. The JS/UI framework, Enyo, is jointly being developed by HP and LG (though neither is really putting a lot of effort into it).

You can even install Open webOS 1.0 atop Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and turn your PC into a webOS box - not that it works great today, but hopefully LG won't wuss out.


slightly OT but can you put WebOS on a centro somehow. All I found on google was a WebOS skin for $15 (paid that much for the phone..)

asuka said:   
PagePlus doesn't require a data plan - that's one of the key benefits, VZW voice but no requirement for smartphone data.

Unfortunately, Page Plus can't use VZW LTE phones, not without hacking anyways. The highest end Verizon 3G/CDMA phone is the Droid Incredible 2 that I mentioned, still "promised" to be updated to Android 4.0.
....

There are no Jelly Bean Verizon CDMA phones.


Verizon's web site sells the (Android v4.2.2) Galaxy S 4 16GB for $199, "with 2 year contract".
Newegg sells the same model phone for $699, unlocked.
www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16875176495

Amazon sells the "no contract" Windows 8 Nokia Lumia 928 for $499:
http://www.amazon.com/Nokia-Lumia-928-Verizon-Wireless/dp/B00CQA...
Verizon's web site has the same phone for $49 "on 2 year contract".

You're saying that it's possible to buy either of these unlocked phones from Newegg/Amazon, then activate it via PagePlus and only pay the minimal voice-only fee of $10 every 4 months?

Beware that often these are refurbished. You can check it by dialing ##rtn# and also if new it should come in the original box stating verizon and palm on the outside with a photo of the phone, not a generic box. I've bought dozens of phones online and new phones never come in generic boxes.

asuka said:   webOS 1 devices are no longer security maintained. If you are going to use this, I highly suggest not associating any Google/Microsoft/etc accounts with the built in apps, and do not give the web browser any trusted information.

Same goes for anything webOS, but Pixi and Pre 1 both have well documented exploits.

It's a fine page plus device, and not a bad MP3 player. Just be careful and don't give the device any trusted data, including passwords of importance.

Source: Me - I've worked with HP and warned them about this crap.


Thanks for the heads up as this applies to the HP Touchpad which a lot of us have. Guess it might be saver to use it with Android OS.

As for the Palm Pixi Plus, I had it on Pageplus plan for 2 years now. Using it on the Page Plus $10 Plan every 120 days (~ $30 a year) as a back up phone. Just remember to turn of your data or your $10. The battery life is pretty good, it last me a good 4 - 5 days.

Nice post....Thx... ya get green.

shampooguy said:   Spend an extra 12 bucks and get a gently used Droid Incredible, you can find them for <$50 on eBay...you'll only be a couple years behind instead of a decade. The pixi's camera/video is terrible, and there are no apps. I do not miss mine at all (too many cards error is just annoying). I've had my Incredible on PP for a year with no problems.

Incredible


A brand new Droid Incredible for < $50 in retail package? Link please.

As far as "no apps", here is what I run on my PPP:
Facebook
Email (corporate exchange and personal)
Gas Buddy
Clear Weather
Spotify
Bing Maps
Google Maps (via Preware)
Bible
Yelp
Foursquare
Geocaching
Trapster
Several games including Angry Birds

... and the browser does a pretty good job.

I'm not saying Incredible isn't better overall, but, it's twice as expensive, bigger and fatter, and doesn't have a physical keyboard which is very efficient if you txt/email often.

So consider your needs and choose appropriately.

This is a nice, cheap phone to keep on hand in case you need a backup phone in case yours breaks. We keep it in the drawer if we ever need it.

I never said "new", and I provided a link to some used Incredibles. Not trying to poop on webOS, I'm just saying that there are better phones out there for just a bit more than a Pixi at this price. Oh, and the Incredible is 'marginally' bigger than the Pixi. But to each his own.


bxd20 said:   shampooguy said:   Spend an extra 12 bucks and get a gently used Droid Incredible, you can find them for <$50 on eBay...you'll only be a couple years behind instead of a decade. The pixi's camera/video is terrible, and there are no apps. I do not miss mine at all (too many cards error is just annoying). I've had my Incredible on PP for a year with no problems.

Incredible


A brand new Droid Incredible for < $50 in retail package? Link please.

As far as "no apps", here is what I run on my PPP:
Facebook
Email (corporate exchange and personal)
Gas Buddy
Clear Weather
Spotify
Bing Maps
Google Maps (via Preware)
Bible
Yelp
Foursquare
Geocaching
Trapster
Several games including Angry Birds

... and the browser does a pretty good job.

I'm not saying Incredible isn't better overall, but, it's twice as expensive, bigger and fatter, and doesn't have a physical keyboard which is very efficient if you txt/email often.

So consider your needs and choose appropriately.

bxd20 said:   shampooguy said:   Spend an extra 12 bucks and get a gently used Droid Incredible, you can find them for <$50 on eBay...you'll only be a couple years behind instead of a decade. The pixi's camera/video is terrible, and there are no apps. I do not miss mine at all (too many cards error is just annoying). I've had my Incredible on PP for a year with no problems.

Incredible


A brand new Droid Incredible for < $50 in retail package? Link please.

As far as "no apps", here is what I run on my PPP:
Facebook
Email (corporate exchange and personal)
Gas Buddy
Clear Weather
Spotify
Bing Maps
Google Maps (via Preware)
Bible
Yelp
Foursquare
Geocaching
Trapster
Several games including Angry Birds

... and the browser does a pretty good job.

I'm not saying Incredible isn't better overall, but, it's twice as expensive, bigger and fatter, and doesn't have a physical keyboard which is very efficient if you txt/email often.

So consider your needs and choose appropriately.


Walking security target on your back thanks to all the holes in webOS 1.4.5. You make PRISM seem unnecessary.

HKSturboKid said:   

Thanks for the heads up as this applies to the HP Touchpad which a lot of us have. Guess it might be saver to use it with Android OS.

As for the Palm Pixi Plus, I had it on Pageplus plan for 2 years now. Using it on the Page Plus $10 Plan every 120 days (~ $30 a year) as a back up phone. Just remember to turn of your data or your $10. The battery life is pretty good, it last me a good 4 - 5 days.


With TouchPad you can flash CM9, and there are fewer security holes in webOS 3, especially if you use WebOS CE and the updated webkit trunk.

The good news for TP owners is that CM10.1 is coming along well, and you should be able to run Jelly Bean fully - some already are, but it ideally will be integrated into mainline CM trunk, so then everyone will be on the same firmware for once.

VivYip said:   This is the first time I'm posting an item from eBay, so please forgive me if I'm misreading it...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-PALM-PIXI-PLUS-8GB-VERIZON-SMARTPHONE-CELL-PHONE-WEB-OS-/300903311461

NEW PALM PIXI PLUS 8GB VERIZON SMARTPHONE CELL PHONE WEB OS

sold by electronics-4u (I don't know anything about them, to be honest)

The price is pretty good @ $37.99 with free shipping. it has been a long time since I've seen the phone at this price.

This phone is great for pageplus

It has internet, music, email, messaging, camera, and most importantly, it can make phone calls!

Please let me know if I need to add more information to this post and thank you for reading this thread.




It is for Verizon.
And Page Plus?

It is a Verizon phone that is generally compatible with PagePlus. Voice, data, and messaging all work with minimal-to-no effort.

And only 3g verizon phones. I have read elsewhere online of people getting a Straight Talk iphone 4 from wal mart and activating it.

Decent phone, good OS, terrible support. Folks should know that WebOS is very much so dead (aside from the various online movements to try to resurrect it) and HP has effectively abandoned the platform.

HOWEVER, this was by far my favoruate OS when it was back in it's golden years, er, months.

I love my Palm Pixi Plus, but wasn't aware of all these security holes. Maybe I should move over to the pre 2?
Thanks for a great thread.




Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014