• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
My wife (an architect) was looking for AutoCAD LT, and today I found her a good deal and pulled the trigger on their newest 2014 version from Tiger-Direct.

We've been tracking the prices of suitable AutoCAD products for more than a year. Most times of the year, AutoCAD LT usually runs ~$1150. But we noticed that shortly after new versions (e.g., 2013, 2014) are introduced, there are good sales to be found for a limited time. Right now, AutoCAD 2014 LT is being promoted. Although AutoCAD is really expensive, it's the "industry standard" and the CAD software my wife is already familar with. LT is the "more affordable" 2D-only version, which is perfectly adequate for her needs.

Right now AutoCAD LT 2014 is listed on Tiger-Direct for $755 after current sale price, coupon and shopdiscover discount:
$900 - base sale price
+ ~$7 ground shipping
- $100 coupon ("DWG94231" - good through 6/29/2013)
- 5% shopdiscover
- 1.3% targeted additional discover card rewards (2% on $500 purchases, essentially .25% on remainder)
gives a total of about:
$755 shipped

Tiger-direct link:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details...

Other cash-back options for shopdiscover: (Note that none higher than the 5% shopdiscover appear to be applicable to this type of product)
http://cashbackwatch.com/store.php?store=Tiger%20Direct

Late last week, the best deal on AutoCAD 2014 LT (also being promoted back then) was $878 from New-egg including a $50 Gift card. After 2% fat-cash, and $10 "NEWCUSTOMER06" coupon code, it and the $50 gift card would have run about $850 "bottom line".

Since she figures she'll be holding onto and using this for a very long time (many years of use expected), we didn't opt for the expensive annual "support" plan that provides continual upgrades to the newest version as they are released.

Happy architecting!

Member Summary

AutoCAD LT 2014
Thanks Farfisa850
Disclaimer
7/1/2013 update:
still $800 after coupon...

Today's price: $850
- $50 off coupon "JHB95014" (Good through 7/6/2013)
= $800 before cash-back and credit card rebates
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Decent deal, but you might want to change the title. ACAD is not only for architects. It is widely used by electrical (like myself) and mechanical engineers also.

Also look up free 2d drawing called DraftSight. VERY good product. Great alternative to ACAD LT.

stanski1 said:   Decent deal, but you might want to change the title. ACAD is not only for architects. It is widely used by electrical (like myself) and engineers also.

Also, before anyone calls this "AutoCAD Lite" - the LT stands for "Laptop" as this scaled back version of the software was initially introduced as an option for laptop users back when the full version was more than any laptop could handle....

I am still very much an AutoCAD guy, but while it may be the industry standard for smaller architectural and engineering firms, Revit is clearly going to be the standard very soon if it isn't already!

Any deals on Civil3D?

stanski1 said:   Decent deal, but you might want to change the title. ACAD is not only for architects. It is widely used by electrical (like myself) and mechanical engineers also.
Given the close relation of your trade to architecture, I figure you and other construction-industry consultants would manage to find the thread.

Because this deal is not for the full-blown AutoCAD, it has more specialized applications, and I'm not sure it would be ideal for typical mechanical engineer (due to the lack of 3D). I understand it will be perfect (in most cases) for drafting and submitting a set of drawings to a building department, though.

ITSCdanimal said:   I am still very much an AutoCAD guy, but while it may be the industry standard for smaller architectural and engineering firms, Revit is clearly going to be the standard very soon if it isn't already!

While I do agree with you here, unfortunately there is about a $4,700 difference in the cost of the two. This is a good deal for those 1-2 man shops that don't need all the extra features of full blown Autocad and Revit.

ITSCdanimal said:   Also, before anyone calls this "AutoCAD Lite" - the LT stands for "Laptop" as this scaled back version of the software was initially introduced as an option for laptop users back when the full version was more than any laptop could handle....

I am still very much an AutoCAD guy, but while it may be the industry standard for smaller architectural and engineering firms, Revit is clearly going to be the standard very soon if it isn't already!

Our office is solely on Revit. Most firms I've encountered in my region have been on it for a few years. Depending on the region, I'd definitely say it's the lead with architecture/non civil engineering. Good deal, though OP.

Update: still available for $800 after coupon.

Today's price: $850
- $50 off new coupon "JHB95014" (Good through 7/6/2013)
= $800 before cash-back and credit card rebates

What about progeCAD 2013 Professional @399 or less? AutoCAD 'like' interface and functionality. Native support for ACAD files.

dundandi said:   What about progeCAD 2013 Professional @399 or less? AutoCAD 'like' interface and functionality. Native support for ACAD files.

I've used that software and recommend it. Full featured with lisp support. Huge step up from LT if you use custom macros.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014