New Nokia Lumia 521 @ Frys $119.99

Archived From: Hot Deals
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
http://www.frys.com/product/7721338?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Also available at your local Frys for $119.99. This is $10 cheaper than Wal Mart or Amazon. I get 1.5-day of heavy use or 3-day moderate use on a full charge. Comes with Windows Phone 8 and free Nokia maps (no need to connect to the internet). Navigation is super snappy (par with IOS). Audio quality is very good...even better with quality headphones.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2043159/eight-things-you-didnt-kn...

Member Summary

lumia
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

AlphabetBackward said:   Repost

My bad. Even sweeter if you could price match at the Microsoft store and stack the $25 BING challenge available at the store.

Does this need to connect to internet to search for directions or can I use it with out a valid simcard?

All other phone functions are fully operational except for voice and data as provided by the phone carrier. You can connect to the internet via WiFi (like Starbucks). The Nokia map does not need access to the internet for direction once you have downloaded the maps. Phone unlocking is only needed if you don't use T Mobile network. The micro SIM that comes with the phone will still allow you to make emergency 911 call.

Phone specs seem poor (esp 480x800 WVGA display and no camera flash) compared to iPhone or Samsung S4 that have almost double resolution
but I tried it in store and it seemed very zippy with internet - so for this no-contract price this phone seems a great deal.
On the flip side, no-contract smartphones can cause severe wallet damage if not careful with surfing.

rkfwc said:   The phone specs seem quite bad (esp VGA display) compared to iPhone or Samsung S4 that have more than double resolution
but I tried it in store and it seemed zippy with internet - so for this no-contract price this phone seems a great deal.
On the flip side, no-contract smartphones can cause severe wallet damage if not careful with surfing.

Unlimited plans take care of that.... and I picked one up for my son. It's heads and tails better than his iPhone, mostly because it's almost as responsive... and it completely syncs his xbox and PC accounts pretty flawlessly.

It's really a great phone for the price, no contract. I have the $30 unlimited data, 100 voice minutes plan... but once the second month is paid for and 40 days on a T-Mobile plan, I plan to call and have it unlocked.

Later edit: I'm not looking for a response as to how his iPhone syncs all of his itunes account info.... I understand that, I work in the IT industry... and Apple's products are extremely unforgiving if you try to use anything you didn't pay for through them.... hence, Apple products are getting phased out of this household. Tired of big companies telling us consumers what we may or may not do with property we have purchased for ourselves... and I'll continue to fight them with my wallet. That being said, Microsoft isn't really much better... but you'll NEVER get an Apple product off contract for this price, and this phone is more than snappy enough. Caveat: Not a lot of apps, but you can find some great stuff on the XDA sites, and if you're in software development Win Phone 8 is pretty easy to write your own apps.

Still a little expensive

rkfwc said:   Phone specs seem poor (esp 480x800 WVGA display and no camera flash) compared to iPhone or Samsung S4 that have almost double resolution
but I tried it in store and it seemed very zippy with internet - so for this no-contract price this phone seems a great deal.

You're seriously comparing a phone that has a no-contract list price of $150 with phones that have no-contract prices of over $600?

Can I activate this smartphone with pay-as-you-go plan (which does not seem to have data as per TMobile website here) ?
or is data-enabled plan like $30/month mandatory ?

If pay-as-you-go is fine, will it be smart to now allow me to use the phone in data mode
or will it allow data and then charge me some mucho fees ?

ie. what is the *cheapest* payment I can opt for if I dont use cellular mode for data ?

rkfwc said:   Can I activate this smartphone with pay-as-you-go plan (which does not seem to have data as per TMobile website here) ?
or is data-enabled plan like $30/month mandatory ?

If pay-as-you-go is fine, will it be smart to now allow me to use the phone in data mode
or will it allow data and then charge me some mucho fees ?

ie. what is the *cheapest* payment I can opt for if I dont use cellular mode for data ?
You can use on any T-Mobile pre-paid (or post-paid) plan. No data plan is required for pre-paid.

In order to use billable data on pre-paid, you have to subscribe to a monthly plan or a daily ($2 or $3) plan.

Cheapest payment is $10 every 90 days.

rkfwc said:   Phone specs seem poor (esp 480x800 WVGA display and no camera flash) compared to iPhone or Samsung S4 that have almost double resolution

The whole purpose of hardware is to support software. Windows Phone devices tend to have relatively low specs because the operating system does not call for higher specs to fully optimize user experience. And this makes Windows Phone devices very affordable, a huge advantage over competitors in the mid-range and low-end markets.

This is akin to GM offering the Chevy Sonic for $2,000 off, and people then complaining that the Nissan Maxima is such a superior vehicle.

T-Mobile Prepaid doesn't do PPU data, so that's a non-issue.

Microsoft knows they can't win in the ultra-high end phone market, and is subsidizing Windows Phone adoption in the mid-range and low-end. I'd be surprised if Nokia is paying more than $1/unit on these to Microsoft to license WP8 for this bargain special.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014