• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

motorola
Disclaimer
http://www.staples.com/Motorola-SURFboard-SB6121-DOCSIS-30-Cable...

Use coupon: 12006

+5% rewards. Don't forget FW Cash

Use coupon 69766 if purchasing in store.

Your customers want high-bandwidth data and multimedia services. Our easy-to-use SB6121 SURFboard® eXtreme Cable Modem helps you deliver. Harnessing the power of DOCSIS® 3.0, the SB6121 enables channel bonding of up to four downstream channels and four upstream channels—so you can offer your customers advanced multimedia services with data rates of more than 100 Mbps in each direction. Strengthen your broadband leadership. Count on the Motorola SB6121 to help you deliver innovative, ultra-broadband services to your premium customers.

Member Summary

Staples Motorola SURFboard Cable Modem
Thanks Neilium
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
In case there's any confusion. This is a MODEM. MODEMS allow your computer to communicate with your ISP. They don't shar... (more)

atomicfire (Jul. 10, 2013 @ 3:30p) |

I already understood all of this, but I'm sure you clarified things for those who are less technically-inclined. Nicely... (more)

pacifickarma (Jul. 10, 2013 @ 3:33p) |

Back up to $69.99.

smeagle (Jul. 22, 2013 @ 10:32p) |

For those interested.

1) This unit is not wireless.

2) For those of you with a phone line from your cable provider, this unit does not have a phone connection socket. May I suggest getting a phone number from Google and an external VOIP adaptor from one of many companies I use Obihai's 202, one off payment of $75 and you can plug in a home wireless phone, then save on how ever much the phone bill part comes to each month. You can port over your current phone number but I found that to be full of problems and it took me over 3 months to do so.

3) It has one ethernet connection so if you want to connect to more than one device you will need a router.
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I have this modem and it's very quick and reliable, but I definitely didn't get this good of a deal on it.

Any idea if they'll apply that coupon in-store? Great price, but of course you cant add coupons once you choose 'Reserve for Pickup'.

Check Amazon they sell this for $60 often. Currently listed at 67.

can someone help me to clarify some points here:
1) If I have Com_cast or A_tt, can I use this modem instead of my Internet provider modem? so I don't have to pay their !@$#@ rental fee anymore?
2) If I need voice as stated above, can I use google voice + Obi? Will this work/be supported by my Home alarm system?
(trying to save some big bucks here)!
Thx!

BigWhy said:   can someone help me to clarify some points here:
1) If I have Com_cast or A_tt, can I use this modem instead of my Internet provider modem? so I don't have to pay their !@$#@ rental fee anymore?
2) If I need voice as stated above, can I use google voice + Obi? Will this work/be supported by my Home alarm system?
Thx!

I can help with number one. I am in the Houston area and just got this modem for my Comcast service. It was actually recommended by Comcast as a replacement for their rental unit. It was easy to install and activate (about 12 minutes, including the call to Comcast to provide MAC address and activate). I've used it for about 4 days now and it's just as fast as the rental.

On question two. I don't know if I can answer, but I have Ooma and this modem does just fine with that service. I don't know any reason it shouldn't duplicate whatever service you are receiving/utilizing with your current rental unit on Comcast. I can't comment on alarm, as my alarm consists of a dog and a Mossberg shotgun.

Good luck!

Thanks for your feed back.
FYI I am in Houston area to

myclads said:   BigWhy said:   can someone help me to clarify some points here:
Thx!

I can help with number one. I am in the Houston area and just got this modem for my Comcast service. It was actually recommended by Comcast as a replacement for their rental unit. It was easy to install and activate (about 12 minutes, including the call to Comcast to provide MAC address and activate). I've used it for about 4 days now and it's just as fast as the rental.

On question two. I don't know if I can answer, but I have Ooma and this modem does just fine with that service. I don't know any reason it shouldn't duplicate whatever service you are receiving/utilizing with your current rental unit on Comcast. I can't comment on alarm, as my alarm consists of a dog and a Mossberg shotgun.

Good luck!

starcastic said:   Any idea if they'll apply that coupon in-store? Great price, but of course you cant add coupons once you choose 'Reserve for Pickup'.

Use coupon 69766 in store.

When you Reserve in Store, you still have to pay it at the register. Just use coupon code then.

I am trying to order this on OfficeMax (to use up my rewards).
The coupon code JUL4 on OfficeMax website gives you 20% off.
Th exclusions don't seem to exclude this item (I have read them 4 times).
Any idea why it is not applying the coupon?
The CSR in store had no idea.
Called up 800# ; she kept pointing to COMPUTER exclusion.
Is modem considered part of COMPUTERS?

It would be nice if this had WiFi.

In for 1

TIP: You might have to get the special serial number from Motorola customer service, if you are using this with Comcast. I had to do that, because the serial number on the product is different than what Comcast will be able to use or even recognize. It was very easy to get it from Motorola customer service though.

love4money said:   TIP: You might have to get the special serial number from Motorola customer service, if you are using this with Comcast. I had to do that, because the serial number on the product is different than what Comcast will be able to use or even recognize. It was very easy to get it from Motorola customer service though.
Use the serial number on the box, not the modem itself

Is this a big upgrade from the Surfboard 5100 on Comcast?

homersaysdoh said:   love4money said:   TIP: You might have to get the special serial number from Motorola customer service, if you are using this with Comcast. I had to do that, because the serial number on the product is different than what Comcast will be able to use or even recognize. It was very easy to get it from Motorola customer service though.
Use the serial number on the box, not the modem itself

grabbed one yesterday. used the 20% off coupon instead of the $10 off $50.

the customer S/N is located on the Box. seemed faster than my old docsis 2.0 motorola modem.

Thanks OP.

love4money said:   TIP: You might have to get the special serial number from Motorola customer service, if you are using this with Comcast. I had to do that, because the serial number on the product is different than what Comcast will be able to use or even recognize. It was very easy to get it from Motorola customer service though.
I dont remember giving the Serial Number. I think they only asked from the MAC Id. Anyway does it work better if I get a special serial number from Motorola and give it to them ?

Jbannas said:   Is this a big upgrade from the Surfboard 5100 on Comcast?

If you pay for speeds that a docsis 2.0 modem can't handle, yes. Otherwise you are fine with the old surfboard.

I am in ATL area.
After a Lightning strike, recently I replaced my old Linksys Cable Modem with a Motorola 6121.
When I called,Comcast asked me for Mac-ID and Customer S/N, which was on the product box.
Now it is more than a week. Going good, I got upto 27 Mbits download and 5 Mbits upload (speedtest net using wireless connection).

My home phone is Vonage(VOIP).
I am planning to buy another SB6121 from Staplez using the 20% store coupon, in order to keep it as a stand by.

Also, keep an eye on your bill. I've never rented a modem from Comcast, but I just noticed that they started charging me for a rental modem about a year ago. They insisted I provide proof of purchase that also contained the serial number of the modem. After severl hours of ridiculous conversations they relented...

tightpapa said:   It would be nice if this had WiFi.

You can't be serious. This is not a router, it's a modem. Modems don't have wifi. Modems are what plug into your (wifi) router.

BTW, I also have this modem so I don't have to pay my cable company's rental fee and have been very happy with it. I think I paid a bit more for it off Amazon.

dmikester10 said:   tightpapa said:   It would be nice if this had WiFi.

You can't be serious. This is not a router, it's a modem. Modems don't have wifi. Modems are what plug into your (wifi) router.

BTW, I also have this modem so I don't have to pay my cable company's rental fee and have been very happy with it. I think I paid a bit more for it off Amazon.

Not true. Some modem also acts as a router in which wireless is built in as well. Lots of DSL boxes are all in one.

The 20% coupon works on THIS modem. I used it yesterday. Don't ask at the checkout counter if they accpet the coupon. They will say NO. Just hand it over and it works just fine. Good luck.

Will the register take BOTH the $10 off code and the 20% off cpn?

How do you use a coupon code in store, do you simply read the numbers to them? Is there a printable coupon?

Skillet17 said:   How do you use a coupon code in store, do you simply read the numbers to them? Is there a printable coupon?

Either of them will work. You can read the coupon number and ask them to enter it. Usually there will be a printable coupon too, and it contains the same number that they will key in.

In case there's any confusion. This is a MODEM. MODEMS allow your computer to communicate with your ISP. They don't share internet connections or provide firewalls or do anything fancy. All it does is allow one device to talk to the ISP's network. Pretty much 99.99999% of residential (non-commercial or business) internet connections will only allocate ONE (1) IP address for you to use. This MODEM will communicate using that one (1) IP address.

You have two choices after getting this modem:
Plug it straight into your computer and use it with that one computer only (not recommended for a lot of reasons) via USB or Ethernet
Plug it into a ROUTER which allows more than one device to share the one IP address your ISP as allocated to you.

Some companies make combo devices - MODEM and ROUTER all-in-one devices that combine the modem and router in one convenient box. Those are the kind of boxes that will have WiFi built in - since WiFi is something provided by the ROUTER, not the MODEM.

Hope this clears it up.

atomicfire said:   Hope this clears it up.

I already understood all of this, but I'm sure you clarified things for those who are less technically-inclined. Nicely said!

Back up to $69.99.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014