• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Dell XPS 8700 Desktop 4th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-4770 3.4GHz $699.99 from Costco

http://www.costco.com/.product.100049266.html?&EMID=B2C_2013_071...

Processor & Memory:
•4th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-4770 processor 3.4GHz (8M Cache, up to 3.9 GHz)
•12GB RAM Dual Channel DDR3 1600MHz - 4 DIMMs

Drives:
•1TB (7200 RPM) SATA Hard Drive
•16X DVD+/-RW Drive (Writes to CD/DVD)

Operating System: Microsoft® Windows 8 (64-bit)
•Windows 8 is Beautiful, fast, and fluid.
•Personalized: Make your Start Screen your personalized home for the things you care about. Organize and customize it the way you want.
•Connected: Now everything is in one place to share. Integrate your online favorites – Facebook, Flickr, Hotmail, etc. – with content from your PC., such as photos and contacts.

Graphics & Video:
•1GB AMD RadeonHD 7570 GDDR5 Graphics

Communications:
Dell Wireless 1703 802.11b/g/n + Bluetooth v4.0
•10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet

Audio:
•Integrated 7.1 with Waves MaxxAudio®

Keyboard & Mouse:
Dell™ Multimedia Keyboard and USB 6-Button Laser Mouse

Rear Ports USB:
•2x USB 3.0
•4x USB 2.0

Front Ports USB:
•2x USB 3.0

Top Ports USB:
•2x USB 2.0

AVI Ports
•Audio Jacks
•Combination headphone / microphone jack
•RJ-45
•VGA
•HDMI

Additional Information:
•Color: Black
•Power Supply: 460 W
•Dimensions: 7.30" W x 15.99" D x 17.49" H
•Approximate Weight: 30.42lbs

Member Summary

Dell XPS 8700 Desktop
Thanks Farfisa850
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
It's pretty tough these days to build a machine for the price of the pre-packaged units. You might get close on the comp... (more)

cpabster (Aug. 05, 2013 @ 3:28p) |

Costco has this back in stock: http://www.costco.com/.product.749092.html

OADOLOJAN (Aug. 06, 2013 @ 1:45p) |

The only rationale is overclocking/bios. Last 2 upgrades I bought a Dell, separate GPU, and swapped in my 700 watt PSU f... (more)

Krazen1211 (Aug. 06, 2013 @ 1:56p) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
    • Manufacturer › Dell
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

GREEN!

Before you get an SSD as a primary drive, check the speed of the SATA ports. The 8500 (previous version) has 4 SATA slots and an mSATA slot. But only port 1 of regular SATA is 6gbps, as well as the mSATA.

I made the mistake of purchasing an SSD and moved the TB drive to slot 2 but only works at 3gbps. Would have known, I would have gone for an mSATA instead.

12 GB Ram is not needed for most users, 8GB should be enough and future proof it. I would of rather seen a better graphics card, this one is just a step up from on-board. Deal is luke warm.

paroxsitic said:   12 GB Ram is not needed for most users, 8GB should be enough and future proof it. I would of rather seen a better graphics card, this one is just a step up from on-board. Deal is luke warm.

Anything better out there at this price range right now?

Might want to add $30 shipping

Great price.

rsuaver said:   Before you get an SSD as a primary drive, check the speed of the SATA ports. The 8500 (previous version) has 4 SATA slots and an mSATA slot. But only port 1 of regular SATA is 6gbps, as well as the mSATA.

I made the mistake of purchasing an SSD and moved the TB drive to slot 2 but only works at 3gbps. Would have known, I would have gone for an mSATA instead.
According to the Owner's Manual, every SATA port included w/ the XPS 8700 is a SATA 3.0 (6 GB/s) port (see page 13, then items: 12, 13, 14, 17, and 21 on page 14). Ironically, it doesn't list the speed of the mSATA port.

BTW, here's the XPS 8700 Specifications Doc.

i wouldnt say this is a good deal, ive seen 3770k for under 500. Haswell is only good for mobile devices

rsuaver said:   GREEN!

Before you get an SSD as a primary drive, check the speed of the SATA ports. The 8500 (previous version) has 4 SATA slots and an mSATA slot. But only port 1 of regular SATA is 6gbps, as well as the mSATA.

A spinning drive is never going to be limited by the 3Gbps speed. How many spinning drives can read or write at over 300MB/s? Only the last gen or so of SSDs can even make use of that 6Gbps bandwidth.

@Shastada: He was talking about adding a SSD, not another HDD. Also, SSDs have been able to go > 3GB/s for at least teh last 2 years.

You guys nuts? The processor alone is 310 on Newegg!! Add in Win8, the power supply, HD, motherboard, 12GB ram... Is there any way to put something like this together yourself for this cheap?

This is a nice configuration. I personally wish it had two x16 PCIe slots; I'm considering upgrading to two 4k TVs as monitors if the next crop of Seikis come out a 60hz refresh (via HDMI2), and might need a second slot to drive them. 12GB is a goodly sum - I have 24GB and have only been over 12GB once, and that was when leaving Lightroom running for a couple days and it slowly ate up about 8GB all by itself.

I've been out of this for a while...do Dell's still come with pre-authorized Windows BIOS stuff? It was a major selling point for me when I had several machines that I never had to keep track of the license numbers for re-installs.

paroxsitic said:   12 GB Ram is not needed for most users, 8GB should be enough and future proof it. I would of rather seen a better graphics card, this one is just a step up from on-board. Deal is luke warm.

No, 640k RAM should be more than enough.

Overzeetop said:   
I've been out of this for a while...do Dell's still come with pre-authorized Windows BIOS stuff? It was a major selling point for me when I had several machines that I never had to keep track of the license numbers for re-installs.

I believe win8 does away with the SLIC authorization and every system has its own key.

macdave said:   I believe win8 does away with the SLIC authorization and every system has its own key.

Well that sucks. Then again, so does Win8 as a desktop (from what I've heard) so I guess it's consistent.

No 1080P, LOL. It's a great price for this package.

Can I upgrade Power supply to one that will support bigtime graphics card?

myhotrs said:   You guys nuts? The processor alone is 310 on Newegg!! Add in Win8, the power supply, HD, motherboard, 12GB ram... Is there any way to put something like this together yourself for this cheap?
CPU $300
MB $ 90AR ($110 before)
Win8 OEM $ 80
GPU $ 50
RAM $ 90
case $ 40 (or reuse)
PSU $ 30 (or reuse)
1TB HDD $ 30 (or reuse)
16X +/-RW $ 30 (or reuse)
-------------------------
$740 (if no reuse), maybe a bit less if you combine purchases.

So it's a great deal if you wanted this exact setup and a good deal if you wanted something similar. But most people don't need a $300 CPU and those that do generally would prefer a better MB, GPU, PSU, HDD, and optical drive. And most people capable of building a system have at least those last 4 parts in my list lying around for reuse.

Dell XPS 8700 $699

It's also $699 on Dell but you can get Windows 7 too.

TheMeliorist said:   myhotrs said:   You guys nuts? The processor alone is 310 on Newegg!! Add in Win8, the power supply, HD, motherboard, 12GB ram... Is there any way to put something like this together yourself for this cheap?
CPU $300
MB $ 90AR ($110 before)
Win8 OEM $ 80
GPU $ 50
RAM $ 90
case $ 40 (or reuse)
PSU $ 30 (or reuse)
1TB HDD $ 30 (or reuse)

So it's a great deal if you wanted this exact setup and a good deal if you wanted something similar. But most people don't need a $300 CPU and those that do generally would prefer a better MB, GPU, PSU, HDD, and optical drive. And most people capable of building a system have at least those last 4 parts in my list lying around for reuse.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/413249/Core_i7_4770_34GHz_Box...
Should knock down the price by $60 if you have a microcenter nearby
Considering the videocard isn't high end by any means, you're not going to do much 3D gaming, so just stick to an on-board videocard and save another $50.
And if you don't have a touchscreen, I would recommend sticking to Windows 7. Swiping with a mouse isn't the same. JMO ofcourse but go and play with the ones at bestbuy and see for yourself.

yankees4life said:   Dell XPS 8700 $699

It's also $699 on Dell but you can get Windows 7 too.
FW redirect breaks the link above, so c/p it:
http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=fdcwgt17b&model_id=xps-8700&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&dgc=CJ&cid=47997&lid=4279734&acd=11393353-361116-FWbwdw1o

The Dell $699 price only includes 8GB of RAM (12GB of RAM is a +$100, a total ripoff IMO)
Costco provides a 2 year warranty on all of their PC's (2 Year Dell warranty is +$119)
As for Windows 7, Dell does indeed offer that for +$30 extra.

TheMeliorist said:   myhotrs said:   You guys nuts? The processor alone is 310 on Newegg!! Add in Win8, the power supply, HD, motherboard, 12GB ram... Is there any way to put something like this together yourself for this cheap?
CPU $300
MB $ 90AR ($110 before)
Win8 OEM $ 80
GPU $ 50
RAM $ 90
case $ 40 (or reuse)
PSU $ 30 (or reuse)
1TB HDD $ 30 (or reuse)

Also, it comes ALREADY BUILT with a warranty and an excellent return policy.

Be sure to figure out what your time is worth when you build yourself a rig. The last one I built took me so long that I'm not sure I'll ever do it again.

i missed out on this. sold out on costco.com

TheWankeler said:   TheMeliorist said:   myhotrs said:   You guys nuts? The processor alone is 310 on Newegg!! Add in Win8, the power supply, HD, motherboard, 12GB ram... Is there any way to put something like this together yourself for this cheap?
CPU $300
MB $ 90AR ($110 before)
Win8 OEM $ 80
GPU $ 50
RAM $ 90
case $ 40 (or reuse)
PSU $ 30 (or reuse)
1TB HDD $ 30 (or reuse)

Be sure to figure out what your time is worth when you build yourself a rig. The last one I built took me so long that I'm not sure I'll ever do it again.

dude, I agree that the guy is a troll, but it doesnt take too long to build a rig. maybe a hour.

tsai0610 said:   TheWankeler said:   TheMeliorist said:   myhotrs said:   You guys nuts? The processor alone is 310 on Newegg!! Add in Win8, the power supply, HD, motherboard, 12GB ram... Is there any way to put something like this together yourself for this cheap?
CPU $300
MB $ 90AR ($110 before)
Win8 OEM $ 80
GPU $ 50
RAM $ 90
case $ 40 (or reuse)
PSU $ 30 (or reuse)
1TB HDD $ 30 (or reuse)

dude, I agree that the guy is a troll, but it doesnt take too long to build a rig. maybe a hour.

An hour?? LOL! 99.74% of people putting a box together are NOT going to get it done in a hour. Funny stuff!

CPU $300
MB $ 90AR ($110 before)
Win8 OEM $ 80
GPU $ 50
RAM $ 90
case $ 40 (or reuse)
PSU $ 30 (or reuse)
1TB HDD $ 30 (or reuse)

FYI, OEM license would be the wrong license if you wanted to do it legally.

Edit to include linky: http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/is-it-ok-to-use-oem-windows-on-yo...

Edit again cause I read till the end of the article. It was just saying that it is technically not legal, but author thinks it's ok because of the wishy washy stance from Microsoft.

It's pretty tough these days to build a machine for the price of the pre-packaged units. You might get close on the components (maybe even save some) but when you factor in your time (with time being money) the savings disappear pretty quick. I used to build rigs all the time but gave up a couple years ago already. Much easier to get a pre-done machine with a warranty from a reputable vendor. I still do my own upgrades of course but I just don't see any point in building them. Maybe I'm just getting old. I cut up enough fingers in crappy cases and spent enough hours tinkering and farting around with them Just my two cents and I realize it's a hobby or even a business for some, I just can't be bothered any more.

So to each their own, it's a solid deal for the latest generation chip on a ready-to-roll machine.

Costco has this back in stock: http://www.costco.com/.product.749092.html

cpabster said:   It's pretty tough these days to build a machine for the price of the pre-packaged units. You might get close on the components (maybe even save some) but when you factor in your time (with time being money) the savings disappear pretty quick. I used to build rigs all the time but gave up a couple years ago already. Much easier to get a pre-done machine with a warranty from a reputable vendor. I still do my own upgrades of course but I just don't see any point in building them. Maybe I'm just getting old. I cut up enough fingers in crappy cases and spent enough hours tinkering and farting around with them Just my two cents and I realize it's a hobby or even a business for some, I just can't be bothered any more.

So to each their own, it's a solid deal for the latest generation chip on a ready-to-roll machine.

The only rationale is overclocking/bios. Last 2 upgrades I bought a Dell, separate GPU, and swapped in my 700 watt PSU from my prior machine, and swapped the Dell PSU into the prior machine.

Prebuilt are pretty cheap nowadays and they got rid of most of the proprietary garbage components.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014