• Go to page :
  • 1 23
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Most people will see this and think it is not a hot deal but Virgin Mobile users will likely disagree.

WalMart.com is selling Virgin Mobile top up cards for below face value (although not by much). These are e-cards and are e-mailed to you after purchase. No taxes are added in seemingly all states.

$9.98 for a $10 card

$19.88 for a $20 card

$24.88 for a $25 card

$39.98 for a $40 card - this one does not make sense; it is cheaper to buy two $20 cards

$59.54 for a $60 card

Why is this a good deal?

1. By using Top-up cards you only have to pay the base monthly fee and not any associated taxes/fees. That saves a couple dollars immediately. For this reason, the cheapest websites sell Virgin Mobile top-up cards for ABOVE face value. Wal-Mart.com is selling them BELOW face value.

2. Wal-Mart is a legitimate company and you can tack on CashBack, currently 5% via Discover and 1.5% via Fatwallet

Walmart
See Walmart promo codes that earn 2.0% FatWallet Cash Back.
Virgin Mobile
See Virgin Mobile promo codes that earn $17.50 FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

virgin mobil
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Target in store has 5% off Top ups until March 1st. Stack that with the Target Red Card and you can get an additional 5%... (more)

sflv (Feb. 26, 2014 @ 12:12p) |

as well, this isn't even a lukewarm deal so terms changes wouldn't be worth it. i could see loading up on 6 months when ... (more)

hakujin (Feb. 26, 2014 @ 12:13p) |

Data point - if you use the buy online, pay in store method for wallyworld -- credit card validation appears the same (w... (more)

mikk1 (Mar. 01, 2014 @ 11:22a) |

• Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

green but only for the CashBack alternatives!

I thought I read somewhere that you can get similar discounts by using your red card at target....is that still a true statement?
ETA - don't you pay tax on these cards at the retail outlet? even with on line purchases??? or is it because they are sent digitally that you don't???

These are always the prices. Good heads-up for people that dont know about it though

Tax

Yes, I disagree that this is not a hot deal! This is definitely NOT a not-hot deal! Okay, enough of that.

I live in a state where tax is 9.75%. So this is almost a 10% discount on my phone bill each month.

Thanks OP.

Target typically has VM top-up cards for 5% off for a week every month or two, you can also stack 5% redcard discount on top of that.

A couple of bucks? My $40 VM plan charges me $46.xx after taxes each month when I pay with a credit card.
I could have saved over $6 a month by going the top-up card route??
Why didn't I know this before!?

dmbooth0310 said:   

1. By using Top-up cards you only have to pay the base monthly fee and not any associated taxes/fees. That saves a couple dollars immediately. For this reason, the cheapest websites sell Virgin Mobile top-up cards for ABOVE face value. Wal-Mart.com is selling them BELOW face value.

WalMart's have never charged me tax.

That being said, I have had problems buying them and I don't know what the reason is. I buy it and it stays in a pending stage and then is cancelled. I've tried emailing and just get canned messages. I was excited the last time I ordered one and it went thru but I never got the email with the code. Called them and they said just file a charge back cause they can't re-send them to the same email address. I suggested they put it in my account in the future. I've tried 4 different credit cards and that didn't make a difference either. Anyone else have this problem. I'm on the $25 plan and can't find the cards in the store.

one80oneday said:   Tax

arribasn said:   Target typically has VM top-up cards for 5% off for a week every month or two, you can also stack 5% redcard discount on top of that.
Targit charges tax on these, though, at least in my case (Illinois).

Just FYI for those first timers.

I've been buying these from WalMart for many months now, however I almost always run into issues with the order. It appears that you can only order so many cards in a month or your order is cancelled by either WalMart or whomever is processing the actual cards.

At this point, I have not figure out exactly what the issue is with them (I've tried different accounts, different CC, different addresses, etc).

What states do not charge tax on prepaid cards? Fl does which kills most "deals".

jschuman said:   Just FYI for those first timers.

I've been buying these from WalMart for many months now, however I almost always run into issues with the order. It appears that you can only order so many cards in a month or your order is cancelled by either WalMart or whomever is processing the actual cards.

At this point, I have not figure out exactly what the issue is with them (I've tried different accounts, different CC, different addresses, etc).

This is why I dont buy them @ WalMart. The last 4 times they always cancelled my orders. Try PayPal, 3 different cards. I have 1 T mobile account and those I can buy. Its weird.

yoregano said:   arribasn said:   Target typically has VM top-up cards for 5% off for a week every month or two, you can also stack 5% redcard discount on top of that.

if traget charges you tax then WalMart should too, if they don't then its a mistale on their part

I'd been buying my topups ever since callingmart stopped the discount. However, they are still a good alternative as they also don't charge tax on the topup cards.

arribasn said:   yoregano said:   arribasn said:   Target typically has VM top-up cards for 5% off for a week every month or two, you can also stack 5% redcard discount on top of that.

if traget charges you tax then WalMart should too, if they don't then its a mistale on their part

I started an order, and Wallymart does not appear to charge tax. (No tax showing on the "review order" screen.) Dunno all rules for taxes. I thought phone cards in general were not supposed to be taxed anywhere, but apparently the rules vary.

FYI these are back up on eBay for those that don't mind the more risk for reward option.

$60 cards for $42 and up. I've done refills on my account this wage for awhile, and have yet
to have issues. Obviously YMMV and Caviar Emporer and all that jazz. But an average of 20-30%
off the face value is good enough for the risk for me. In about 6 refills I've done with various
random sellers, only 1 had an issue, and refunded me immediately.

*** UPDATE ***

Bought 2 cards $ 47.50/ea for $60 top up per. Both are already reflected in account.

one80oneday said:   What states do not charge tax on prepaid cards? Fl does which kills most "deals".Believe it or not, CA does not charge tax on these top up cards. Least not from Target.

Can't get them to process online. WalMart keeps cancelling order.

After buying from them every month for a long time, I also have had nothing but canceled orders over the last few months. I got a response back in May from their customer service dept.:

"Due to a processing issue with the prepaid cards the order was cancelled. We are working to solve the issue. However, we do not have information yet on when the issue will be fixed. "

But if others are successfully placing orders, then maybe I'll try again.

sneakers said:   I've tried 4 different credit cards and that didn't make a difference either. Anyone else have this problem. I'm on the $25 plan and can't find the cards in the store.
I was having problems with the cancellations too. There is some kind of verification system that WalMart uses that does not work well in Google Chrome. When I tried through Internet Explorer it went through fine. Don't know if that's your problem but it worked for me!

Thank U for this site....and CALIFORNIA is not taxes....that is beyond wonderful...

I post back later my experience....am excited to get going on this adventure.

okieopie said:   sneakers said:   I've tried 4 different credit cards and that didn't make a difference either. Anyone else have this problem. I'm on the $25 plan and can't find the cards in the store.
I was having problems with the cancellations too. There is some kind of verification system that WalMart uses that does not work well in Google Chrome. When I tried through Internet Explorer it went through fine. Don't know if that's your problem but it worked for me!

I had same issues as well. Try different browsers and even paypal. All failed. Try again the following day and it worked. Guess this is random.

jschuman said:   Just FYI for those first timers.

same here last 5 orders to WalMart {4 months} only 1 when thur with out me emailing and calling them up.? but have had no trouble on 5 orders thur eBay and much cheaper too.

This wasn't well known?

I've been doing this since 2011 -- these prices have almost never changed. I've saved hundred by not having to pay tax, CashBack, and less than face value.

stiltner said:   FYI these are back up on eBay for those that don't mind the more risk for reward option.

$60 cards for $42 and up. I've done refills on my account this wage for awhile, and have yet
to have issues. Obviously YMMV and Caviar Emporer and all that jazz. But an average of 20-30%
off the face value is good enough for the risk for me. In about 6 refills I've done with various

*** UPDATE ***

Bought 2 cards $ 47.50/ea for $60 top up per. Both are already reflected in account.

Been using eBay refillers for a year or so now and never had problems..not sure why they disappeared last month but good to see they are back.

I have a question on this matter. I have an iPhone and receive their $5.00 a month discount so instead of $35.00 it is $30.00 as long as I am set up with auto pay and keep my credit card on file. Does anyone know if I could use these Wally World top ups or eBay top ups and still keep my monthly discount? Thanks

akbungle said:   I have a question on this matter. I have an iPhone and receive their $5.00 a month discount so instead of $35.00 it is $30.00 as long as I am set up with auto pay and keep my credit card on file. Does anyone know if I could use these Wally World top ups or eBay top ups and still keep my monthly discount? Thanks
I don't see why it wouldn't continue your same rate as long as you do keep your credit card on file and autopay enabled. You could try buying and adding one refill to your account. It should automatically deduct the amount from that account balance instead of charging your credit card.

Discover put a fraud alert on my CC when I ordered 2 sets ( 4 pins) in April. Called Discover and got it straightened out.

In June, I bought 2 sets within 3 weeks of each other. First set of 2 pins was ok, second set of 2 pins and Discover put a fraud alert on my account again. I called Discover again and within a minute was good to go. I asked the CSR if I was going to have to call Discover every time I bought these from WalMart and she said "We don't disclose the rules for our fraud alert triggers."

ppanamared said:   stiltner said:   FYI these are back up on eBay for those that don't mind the more risk for reward option.

*** UPDATE ***

Been using eBay refillers for a year or so now and never had problems..not sure why they disappeared last month but good to see they are back.

Me three. No problems at all with the eBay refills I've bought. I only buy one card at a time though.

I buy my top up cards from Radio Shack B&M stores with discounted Radio Shack gift cards (up to 12%) for several years now. Just do a search on giftcardgranny.com. Since Oregon does not have a sales tax, I save up to 12%.

If you live in the other 45 states that do have a sales tax, this is of virtually no use.

okieopie said:   sneakers said:   I've tried 4 different credit cards and that didn't make a difference either. Anyone else have this problem. I'm on the $25 plan and can't find the cards in the store.

I cant believe is the browser! Lol Chrome is so much better. Will try IE tomorrow.

sushiserv said:   If you live in the other 45 states that do have a sales tax, this is of virtually no use.

Did you actually try it? I think the point is that residents of states who normally have to pay tax on top-up cards do not have to when buying online from WalMart.

dmbooth0310 said:   sushiserv said:   If you live in the other 45 states that do have a sales tax, this is of virtually no use.

Did you actually try it? I think the point is that residents of states who normally have to pay tax on top-up cards do not have to when buying online from WalMart.

Yes there's tax at the final screen. If you don't believe it just find a florida address (try a store address) and see for yourself. WalMart charges tax for states that charge tax however since these are emailed you could enter an address of a relative or something.

one80oneday said:   dmbooth0310 said:   sushiserv said:   If you live in the other 45 states that do have a sales tax, this is of virtually no use.

Yes there's tax at the final screen. If you don't believe it just find a florida address (try a store address) and see for yourself. WalMart charges tax for states that charge tax however since these are emailed you could enter an address of a relative or something.

I disagree.

I'm in IL where sales tax is charged on just about everything and my IL address is on file at WalMart.com.

Here's my order from this morning:

(Email Delivery) Virgin Mobile $60 Topup 1 Via email, recipient should receive card within hours of ordering. $59.54

Subtotal: $59.54
Shipping: Free
Tax: $0.00
WalMart.com Total: $59.54

No tax charged and I've been buying this way for several years. The CashBack and no tax keeps this deal hot.

knot2clever said:   ppanamared said:   stiltner said:   FYI these are back up on eBay for those that don't mind the more risk for reward option.

*** UPDATE ***

Me three. No problems at all with the eBay refills I've bought. I only buy one card at a time though.

I guarantee you the ones on eBay that are at 20%+ discount are fraudulent as VM wholesale never sells cards much less than 6-7% or so from retail. The sellers are always overseas and the cards were funded using stolen credit cards. Most times you are fine and the money will deposit into your VM account as its not worth the headache for VM to recall the money in most cases but I have heard of VM retroactively pulling the funds from someone's account.

WalMart seems to be having major issues they keep cancelling my purchase no matter what card I use to purchase... How come?

The rule is not clear as WalMart does not tell you. But basically. I believe you can only purchase once in about a month per account. You can not make another purchase even if you use another payment method. So this has to be a WalMart policy instead of bank's. You can open another WalMart account, use a different CC, and you can make one more purchase. I did that once.

This poses such inconvenience that sometime I just buy from Target, which charges tax and the 911 surcharge for about $2(?) more. It's not really going to break the bank. But with WalMart's e-delivery system, you can cut and paste to VM site. With Target's card, you have to scratch and type. This to me is a big plus from WalMart.

I do not know as to the limit of cards you can buy per purchase. I usually buy two at time and there has been no problem.

wow... this is like the silliest deal ever. buy top ups on eBay and save a WHOLE LOT MORE. Oh I know, tht's a scam... though my last 6 months (since HTC One V $50 deal) @ roughly $30/mo ($45/mo plan) says otherwise.

in other news, Virgin Mobile has been the worst 3G (and even poor 2G) network I've ever used; I thought it couldn't get any worse than Sprint, esp. with a Sprint MVNO, but I was wrong.

Just biding time until new Nexus then off to Straight Talk.

This deal is a joke (as are the green)

EDIT: Yes, let's give red to the person(s) who call out a terrible save .50 cents on $60 deal. Maybe I should start posting Sunday Saver coupons, lol

Skipping 60 Messages...
Data point - if you use the buy online, pay in store method for wallyworld -- credit card validation appears the same (what gets rejected online will also get rejected in store). 

Confused the heck out of the cashier and the manager who tried about ten times before I told them to knock it off and just paid cash.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014