• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
This is a decent deal if you were in the market for a 13" MBP or MBA.

Any email address which ends in .edu will net you an extra $100 off any Macbook or any iMac at Best Buy through 8/17.

Here is the link to register your .edu address: College Student Discount

I got the coupons using my alumni email address which is a fake email which redirects to my personal email.

A few seconds later you should get a set of coupons in your inbox....

10% off touchscreen all in one computers
$100 extra off all Macbooks
$100 extra off all iMacs
a whole bunch of others.

Through 7/26 Best Buy is selling the 13" Macbook Pro non-retina for $999, this knocks an extra $100 off making it $899.

The 2012 13" Macbook Air would be $849 and the 2013 13" Macbook Air would be $949.

That said if you weren't going to buy one in the next couple weeks it may not be super hot considering a new Macbook Pro with the better Haswell CPUs and a new lighter thinner form factor are due soon enough, so this same Macbook may be had for less in a month.

And please no comments about Macs being expensive, I can't subject my spouse to Windows 8 and it's an equal waste of money right now to spent $500-$1000 for a decent touchscreen Windows 8 laptop knowing Haswell CPUs will be flooding the market soon which will crash the prices on current Windows 8 laptops available.

Best Buy
See Best Buy coupons that earn 1.5% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

Macbook Pro 13 (21.10kB)
Thanks Virgil27
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:

The apple pricing seems like standard Apple education discounts so why bother with Best Buy and just buy directly from Apple and get the additional $100 iTunes card in addition to the standard Apple education discount? Also Haswell based 2013 MBAs have been out a month now.

I would rather have an extra $100 off the price than a $100 iTunes gift card.

Also most folks would get enough reward zone points to redeem for $45 in best buy gift cards.

Throw in a few dollars in sales tax savings and it is $150 less than buying from apple.

outtawhack said:   I would rather have an extra $100 off the price than a $100 iTunes gift card.

Also most folks would get enough reward zone points to redeem for $45 in best buy gift cards.

Throw in a few dollars in sales tax savings and it is $150 less than buying from apple.

Your math seems flawed. The Apple education pricing is the same as you posted in the OP. In addition, to that pricing you get a $100 iTunes card that you don't get buying from Best Buy so exactly how are you saving $150 over buying directly from Apple? Plus Apple is already selling the 2013 Haswell MBA. If anything it seems like Best Buy is trying to get rid of their 2012 models under the pretense they are giving students a deal? At least for Apple products I see no deal here over buying directly from Apple.

The $100 offer is also good on the Haswell 2013 Macbook Air which is currently on sale for $1,045...the same as Apple Education pricing. You then apply the $100 coupon to bring it down to $945. I think this is optimal compared to paying $1,045 at Apple and getting a $100 iTunes gift card.

If you really want to max this out there's a Best Buy Rewards Zone shopping event on Sunday, July 28th. If you spend $1,000 you'll get 3x the points but this is exclusive of tax so you'll need to find an extra $55 to spend. I personally would spend it on AppleCare. Best Buy pays out $5 for every 250 points so this works out to at least $60. You then use this to buy Amazon.com gift cards and buy whatever you want. The only gamble is how long Best Buy will keep the sale price going on the Mac's.

I used my alumni .edu email address that fowards to my gmail and it worked out fine...got the coupons. For those who care, the latest rumor is that Apple is doing away with the Macbook Pro line and will only have the Air and the Macbook Pro Retina Display models. A Retina MBP with Haswell is on the horizon and is tempting but it will be much more expensive than the current Air. Physical media is not in Apple's future.

cnIsfg said:   outtawhack said:   I would rather have an extra $100 off the price than a $100 iTunes gift card.

Your math seems flawed. The Apple education pricing is the same as you posted in the OP. In addition, to that pricing you get a $100 iTunes card that you don't get buying from Best Buy so exactly how are you saving $150 over buying directly from Apple? Plus Apple is already selling the 2013 Haswell MBA. If anything it seems like Best Buy is trying to get rid of their 2012 models under the pretense they are giving students a deal? At least for Apple products I see no deal here over buying directly from Apple.

I don't value a $100 iTunes gift card at $100. You can regularly find them for 80% of cost.

Second as the other poster explained in more detail you get gift cards on purchase from best buy so if you want an iTunes gift card you will get that on top of the $100 off.

Apple education store math

999.00 * 1.06 (sales tax) = 1059 plus $100 iTunes

Best buy math

999.00 - 100 * 1.06 (sales tax) = 952 plus $45 in gift cards

An additional Apple laptop deal is available today (7-27-2013) at Best Buy:

The MacBook Pro with Retina Displays are $200 off today for both the 13 and 15 inch models. Combine that with the $100 off student discount gives you a brand new retina display version for as low as $1199. (normally $1499) I have never a new one this low - even the Apple Store refurbished units, Amazon, etc. cannot match. But this Best Buy sale ends today

cemba99 said:   An additional Apple laptop deal is available today (7-27-2013) at Best Buy:

The MacBook Pro with Retina Displays are $200 off today for both the 13 and 15 inch models. Combine that with the $100 off student discount gives you a brand new retina display version for as low as $1199. (normally $1499) I have never a new one this low - even the Apple Store refurbished units, Amazon, etc. cannot match. But this Best Buy sale ends today

The 13 inch rMBP has a hard time with performance given its cpu/gpu.

I wouldn't buy either on sale right know knowing new retina macbook models with better battery life and much faster processors are due in the next month. Jmo it is worth waiting and paying the extra money.

The non retina macbook is a better deal than the 13 inch air considering you can upgrade the memory and disk and if you do it will beat the air in performance for less money.

Jmo.

This is still on. Picked up a MB Pro 13 non retina for $899 + tax. Plus FW CashBack and AMEX sync $25.

Can you tell me all the steps you took to get an MBP for $899? When we called bestbuy, they said that the discounts were $100 off for students, plus the $100 coupon, only dropping it to $999. Help out if you can, thanks!

When do the people at Best Buy ever know what they're talking about?

If you read my original post, just follow my steps. Sign up for the coupon, once you get the student education discount coupon mailed to you, apply the code at checkout and it will drop the price $100.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014