• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=xs_gb_AF3QDN6N27WQC?ie...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/goldbox

Today only, save big on these biometric safes by Barska. Discount offer applies to only items shipped from and sold by Amazon.com. This offer is valid today only, July 21, 2013, and while supplies last.

Amazon
Get Up to 5.0% Cash Back in the Following Departments:
Member Summary

Barska Biometric Safes (3.73kB)
Thanks djrsn00
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

In!

I'm tempted!! Still reading reviews. I'm wondering if it not being fireproof is a big deal.

g0dMAn said:   I'm tempted!! Still reading reviews. I'm wondering if it not being fireproof is a big deal.

Personally I'm just using this as a deterrent. All my valuables are also insured in the event of a catastrophe.

opathal said:   g0dMAn said:   I'm tempted!! Still reading reviews. I'm wondering if it not being fireproof is a big deal.

Personally I'm just using this as a deterrent. All my valuables are also insured in the event of a catastrophe.

What Deterrent? Barska safes are too lightweight so as a deterrent they are basically a joke. Unless you plan on encasing these in concrete or storing lead bricks even the dumbest criminal is just going to take either of these Barska safes and be gone in less than 2 minutes.

cnIsfg said:   opathal said:   g0dMAn said:   I'm tempted!! Still reading reviews. I'm wondering if it not being fireproof is a big deal.

What Deterrent? Barska safes are too lightweight so as a deterrent they are basically a joke. Unless you plan on encasing these in concrete or storing lead bricks even the dumbest criminal is just going to take either of these Barska safes and be gone in less than 2 minutes.

They're going to rip them out of the 2x4 I drill it into? I don't know if you've ever tried that.....but its not an easy task. The bottomline is if a thief has the right tools, they can steal anything. It's a lot easier to pick up a rifle in a case than it is to open a safe.

This is for the common thief, not the professional. If you have some other insights, I'd be open to hearing them.

Not to mention this will weigh over 100lbs once its filled (66lbs empty). Again, if they rip the 5in screws out of the 2x4 in the wall AND carry this thing out. They can have it.

opathal said:   cnIsfg said:   opathal said:   g0dMAn said:   I'm tempted!! Still reading reviews. I'm wondering if it not being fireproof is a big deal.

They're going to rip them out of the 2x4 I drill it into? I don't know if you've ever tried that.....but its not an easy task. The bottomline is if a thief has the right tools, they can steal anything. It's a lot easier to pick up a rifle in a case than it is to open a safe.

This is for the common thief, not the professional. If you have some other insights, I'd be open to hearing them.

What tools? Even the dumbest thief can remove these lightweight Barska's mounted to 2x4s in seconds with a simple tire iron but then again who has ever heard of a thief with one of those. Do your research. These are nothing but tin cans with all your valuables conveniently collected in one place to make a thief's job easier. Even wors they are not fire-proof. The Barska gun safe in the OPs deal is a mere 66lbs. Tat is a joke. Compare that to the average of 500-600 lbs for a decent entry-level gun safe. Good gun safes are in excess of 800lbs.

opathal said:   Not to mention this will weigh over 100lbs once its filled (66lbs empty). Again, if they rip the 5in screws out of the 2x4 in the wall AND carry this thing out. They can have it.

Wow! 100lbs no thief could possibly bench that!

cnIsfg said:   opathal said:   Not to mention this will weigh over 100lbs once its filled (66lbs empty). Again, if they rip the 5in screws out of the 2x4 in the wall AND carry this thing out. They can have it.

When's the last time you tried to lift 100lbs? Not bench.....CARRY 100lbs of an odd shaped weight. I have pick this kind of weight up 5x a week.....for 10+ years. Its not an easy task. I did do my research and I'm not spending $1000+ when my insurance deductible is $250. It's like every fanboi argument on the internet. Oh, those suck, for 10x the price, this is what you need. For the most part you're right, there will ALWAYS be a better (insert item if money is no object thing here). I don't need the best. I just want someone to look at this thing and think, eff that.

It's just like my car, I use an alarm system + a club. Sure I could get lojack, hire a personal body guard, have a helicopter with a sniper at the ready, a tiger on the inside and only park my car when its surround by a moat with great white sharks with lasers attached to their heads.

Bottomline is it is almost as easy to steal my car with an alarm/club as without, but ITS A DETERRENT. If they want my car that bad, not only do they have great taste, but they're certainly welcome to it. In they same way, if the thief decides that they want to break into my house, rip 6 5in bolts of of the wall, lug a 100lbs safe down stairs past a 130lbs+ dog who does not like intruders, pray to god I'm not home while I work an erratic schedule, get the safe to their car in plain view. Fine they can have it. It's certainly more work (and thus deterrent) then simply seeing a 10lbs rifle and snagging it.

On second thought, you're right cnlsfg, I've decided to go with THIS. I'm having my personal butler jump on my private 737 to pick this up in NYC tomorrow. Me and Poopsie will be so much happier knowing our couple thousand dollars in replaceable goods are now safe. Thank you for your detailed explanation of "yeeeehar, that safe sux, I have no evidence, just baseless opinion that 100lbs is easy to pick up. Yeeeeeeharrrrr!!!!"

opathal said:   cnIsfg said:   opathal said:   Not to mention this will weigh over 100lbs once its filled (66lbs empty). Again, if they rip the 5in screws out of the 2x4 in the wall AND carry this thing out. They can have it.

When's the last time you tried to lift 100lbs? Not bench.....CARRY 100lbs of an odd shaped weight. I have pick this kind of weight up 5x a week.....for 10+ years. Its not an easy task. I did do my research and I'm not spending $1000+ when my insurance deductible is $250. It's like every fanboi argument on the internet. Oh, those suck, for 10x the price, this is what you need. For the most part you're right, there will ALWAYS be a better (insert item if money is no object thing here). I don't need the best. I just want someone to look at this thing and think, eff that.

It's just like my car, I use an alarm system + a club. Sure I could get lojack, hire a personal body guard, have a helicopter with a sniper at the ready, a tiger on the inside and only park my car when its surround by a moat with great white sharks with lasers attached to their heads.
Bottomline is almost as easy to steal my car with an alarm/club as without, but ITS A DETERRENT. If they want my car that bad, not only do they have great taste, but they're certainly welcome to it. In they same way, if the thief decides that they want to break into my house, rip 6 5in bolts of of the wall, lug a 100lbs safe down stairs past a 130lbs+ dog who does not like intruders, pray to god I'm not home while I work an erratic schedule, get the safe to their car in plain view. Fine they can have it. It's certainly more work (and thus deterrent) then simply seeing a 10lbs rifle and snagging it.

100lbs is not a deterrent to anyone and a 5 ft, 66lbs safe is a joke. A thief is not going to say "eff that" when they see this joke of a safe they are going to say "hot damn!" First your assumption they have to even carry it anywhere is flawed. As a weakling thief, if I could not simply pop it open right there I am just going to rip it of the wall and shove it down the hall and/or stairs if necessary. Why would I care that I ruin your wall, doors, nice floors, and stairs or even kill your dog? Bottom line you seriously need to talk to your local police station if you think a 66lb safe is ANY deterrent to anyone including many children.

cnIsfg said:   opathal said:   cnIsfg said:   opathal said:   Not to mention this will weigh over 100lbs once its filled (66lbs empty). Again, if they rip the 5in screws out of the 2x4 in the wall AND carry this thing out. They can have it.

Bottomline is almost as easy to steal my car with an alarm/club as without, but ITS A DETERRENT. If they want my car that bad, not only do they have great taste, but they're certainly welcome to it. In they same way, if the thief decides that they want to break into my house, rip 6 5in bolts of of the wall, lug a 100lbs safe down stairs past a 130lbs+ dog who does not like intruders, pray to god I'm not home while I work an erratic schedule, get the safe to their car in plain view. Fine they can have it. It's certainly more work (and thus deterrent) then simply seeing a 10lbs rifle and snagging it.

100lbs is not a deterrent to anyone and a 5 ft, 66lbs safe is a joke. A thief is not going to say "eff that" when they see this joke of a safe they are going to say "hot damn!" First your assumption they have to even carry it anywhere is flawed. As a weakling thief, if I could not simply pop it open right there I am just going to rip it of the wall and shove it down the hall and/or stairs if necessary. Why would I care that I ruin your wall, doors, nice floors, and stairs or even kill your dog? Bottom line you seriously need to talk to your local police station if you think a 66lb safe is ANY deterrent to anyone including many children.

Why would I need to talk to the police, you're obviously an expert. Enlighten me as you obviously have done your research. We know you didn't just come here to threadcrap with no evidence or actual knowledge.

Per consumer reports:
Burglary protection
Independent ratings for burglary resistance are less common for home safes than for ones made for commercial users, such as jewelry stores. To determine their burglary-resistance ratings, UL testers go at safes with tools, torches, and even explosives, Drengenberg says. A TL-15 rated safe, for example, can withstand an attack of at least 15 minutes using common tools.

While most home safes don't carry a rating for burglary resistance, they do, as a practical matter, provide some protection. Chris E. McGoey, a security consultant in Los Angeles, says that burglars generally go for what they can grab in one run through a house. "Once they get their arms full," he adds, "they're out of there."

A 1.2 or 1.3 cubic-foot safe probably weighs about 100 pounds empty, making it a less attractive target than jewelry, cameras, small electronics, and other more portable items a burglar might spot. Many safes also come with bolt-down kits, a further deterrent to thieves in a hurry. Other safes can be concealed in a wall or anchored in a concrete floor.

I realize Opathal is being a bit over the top w/ sarcasm... but it made me laugh in the office, so thanks =)

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014