• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

Member Summary
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:

Diabetes, here come all the seniors that managed to avoid you so far!

Or, eat before you go and eat when you get home and save $5.50.

I love the staff summary - compare at eBay, Google, FatWallet and Amazon, which of course are competing movie chains.

I Haven't been to a AMC Theater in awhile... Went to a 12:15pm showing thinking the prices might be lower.. I guess the joke was on me..

Tickets 10.25 x 2

6.00 Large soda, they were out of Med size
7.00 Popcorn large

Someone is making lots of money....

Dil

bytem3 said:   Diabetes, here come all the seniors that managed to avoid you so far!

You are clueless.

Diet Soda and Popcorn where you do not add extra butter are hardly going to cause diabetes. The carbs in popcorn are no where as bad as a big box of movie candy if two people share the popcorn.

3D Movies matinee price $15 !!!! OUCH.....

mrsv said:   3D Movies matinee price $15 !!!! OUCH.....

Includes glasses?

MISTERCHEAP said:   bytem3 said:   Diabetes, here come all the seniors that managed to avoid you so far!

You are clueless.

Diet Soda and Popcorn where you do not add extra butter are hardly going to cause diabetes. The carbs in popcorn are no where as bad as a big box of movie candy if two people share the popcorn.

I see it in my (medical) practice on a daily basis. Your misinformed statement is quite widespread...and that common misinformation is one reason many people develop diabetes.

Overconsumption of carbohydrates/sugar aren't the only thing that cause diabetes. Increased adiposity (fatty tissue) increases your insulin resistance (a mechanism of type II diabetes). Additionally, not everyone orders diet soda. Even if they did, it has been shown that people that regularly consume diet soda/drinks have an increased (almost double) risk of developing diabetes when compared to those who abstain.

64oz of plain, air-popped popcorn contains in the ballpark of 7000 Calories (again, assuming it was air-popped and had no butter, salt, flavoring, or anything else added). In comparison, a theater-sized box of Skittles has fewer than 500 Calories. Realistically, who goes to the movies and truly gets/eats "plain" air-popped popcorn? No one, that's who. To begin with, all the major US theater chains oil-pop their popcorn, which raises the number I mentioned above. To put the Calories into perspective, 1 lb of fat roughly equals 3500 Calories.

tl;dr even sharing a 64oz bag of plain, bland, air-popped popcorn exactly in half, you get 3500 Calories (i.e. 1 lb of fat) per person, while consuming a theater-sized box of Skittles alone (oh, the shame!) would have you stay under 500 Calories.

Nice deal you posted, though.

bytem3 said:   MISTERCHEAP said:   bytem3 said:   Diabetes, here come all the seniors that managed to avoid you so far!

You are clueless.

I see it in my (medical) practice on a daily basis. Your misinformed statement is quite commonly accepted...and that common misinformation is one reason many people develop diabetes.

Overconsumption of carbohydrates/sugar aren't the only thing that cause diabetes. Increased adiposity (fatty tissue) increases your insulin resistance (a mechanism of type II diabetes). Additionally, not everyone orders diet soda. Even if they did, it has been shown that people that regularly consume diet soda/drinks have an increased (almost double) risk of developing diabetes when compared to those who abstain.

Oh, and 64oz of plain, air popped popcorn contains in the ballpark of
(assuming no butter, salt, other flavoring, or anything else was added; realistically, who goes to the movies and truly gets/eats "plain" air-popped popcorn? No one, that's who. They oil-pop it, to begin with.). In contrast, a theatre-sized box of Skittles only has
. To put that into perspective, 1 lb of fat roughly equals 3500 Calories.

That's where you are mistaken.

There is not 64oz of unpopped popcorn, that is the size of the bag if it held liquid. Popped popcorn in a 64oz size bag probably contains no more popcorn that 2 full microwave bags of popcorn. (I never said there was no oil) however assuming it is the equivalent of 2 3oz microwave popcorn bags, you are likely looking at 500-600 calories max assuming you don't drown it in extra butter. That split between 2 is 300 calories, not 3500. and likely has far fewer grams of SUGAR than the box of skittles or milk duds or snocaps you've mentioned.

What is the plan. Kill the seniors ASAP?

MISTERCHEAP said:   bytem3 said:   MISTERCHEAP said:   bytem3 said:   Diabetes, here come all the seniors that managed to avoid you so far!

You are clueless.

I see it in my (medical) practice on a daily basis. Your misinformed statement is quite commonly accepted...and that common misinformation is one reason many people develop diabetes.

Oh, and 64oz of plain, air popped popcorn contains in the ballpark of (assuming no butter, salt, other flavoring, or anything else was added; realistically, who goes to the movies and truly gets/eats "plain" air-popped popcorn? No one, that's who. They oil-pop it, to begin with.). In contrast, a theatre-sized box of Skittles only has . To put that into perspective, 1 lb of fat roughly equals 3500 Calories.

There is not 64oz of unpopped popcorn, that is the size of the bag if it held liquid. Popped popcorn in a 64oz size bag probably contains no more popcorn that 2 full microwave bags of popcorn. (I never said there was no oil) however assuming it is the equivalent of 2 3oz microwave popcorn bags, you are likely looking at 500-600 calories max assuming you don't drown it in extra butter. That split between 2 is 300 calories, not 3500. and likely has far fewer grams of SUGAR than the box of skittles or milk duds or snocaps you've mentioned.

Well, I see you like to read what you like to read - specifically the part about sugar not being the sole cause of diabetes.

Even if I was overly generous with my assumption of how much popcorn they give (they do still have unilimited refills, don't they?), go to a reputable source, then: http://cspinet.org/new/pdf/nahpopcorn.pdf

Page 3 lists a large AMC popcorn (idk how the # of oz compares to 64oz) as 1,030 Calories without any additions or refills.

tl;dr eating a lot of sugar/carbs is NOT the only way to get diabetes.

bytem3 said:   MISTERCHEAP said:   bytem3 said:   MISTERCHEAP said:   bytem3 said:   Diabetes, here come all the seniors that managed to avoid you so far!

You are clueless.

Oh, and 64oz of plain, air popped popcorn contains in the ballpark of (assuming no butter, salt, other flavoring, or anything else was added; realistically, who goes to the movies and truly gets/eats "plain" air-popped popcorn? No one, that's who. They oil-pop it, to begin with.). In contrast, a theatre-sized box of Skittles only has . To put that into perspective, 1 lb of fat roughly equals 3500 Calories.

Well, I see you like to read what you like to read - specifically the part about sugar not being the sole cause of diabetes.

Even if I was overly generous with my assumption of how much popcorn they give (they do still have unilimited refills, don't they?), go to a reputable source, then: http://cspinet.org/new/pdf/nahpopcorn.pdf

Page 3 lists a large AMC popcorn (idk how the # of oz compares to 64oz) as 1,030 Calories without any additions or refills.

tl;dr eating a lot of sugar/carbs is NOT the only way to get diabetes.

right, this is not the large size, I believe it's the medium. so 600 calories is probably pretty accurate. and no, no unl. refills on the size which is on the AARP deal.

that's on the 1000+ cal size.

Yes, I realize sugar/carbs is not the only way, but eating a popcorn (which is on this deal), shared by 2 people say 1x a month when you go to the movies (assuming you eat fairly healthy on a regular basis), isn't going to cause diabetes in anyone. As I said, the diet soda is the option to have zero calories (vs Regular Coke or Sprite), chances are if you're drinking diet on this deal, you're drinking diet soda at home already or water or whatever.

Believe me, we've seen some food deals get posted in HD which are FAR worse than this combo for "unhealthy". I think it would be more helpful if the "hysterics" offered ways to mitigate the damage rather than cry the sky is falling if you indulge in a popcorn once in a while. As I said, leave off the butter, share it with 1 or 2 others, etc. I really don't see where this is really that bad if you do.

If you look back, my initial post was a simple snarky joke. Idk why you had to take the fun out of it and turn it into a long debate.

Because HD is where snarky jokes go to die.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014