• Go to page :
  • 1 234
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Selectel like Page Plus is a mvno that uses the Verizon network. They are trying to compete with Page Plus by giving users a better deal in some (but not all) cases. The pay-as-you-go plan which uses their "Flex Card" was introduced today and has the following terms:

1. Flex Card cost is $10
2. 5 cents per minute of talk
3. 5 cents per text
4. 5 cents per megabyte of data
5. No expiration date
6. No monthly minimum

Selectel's own website is incomplete and does not have this plan mentioned yet.
http://www.selectelwireless.com/wirelessplans.html

The source of this plan is from a dealer who sells both Page Plus and Selectel.
http://forum.genius-wireless.com/showthread.php?898-Flex-Card-no...

The Flex Card is the last item on this page.
http://genius-wireless.com/selectel-plans-2/

Dealer mentioned is also giving free porting and activation. And before anybody asks, Selectel's phone policy is the same as on Page Plus. Phones that are already on Page Plus should work on Selectel from what I gather.

Update: August 16, 2013

Flex Card is No Longer a Standalone Plan

That means if you did not already buy a Flex Card, you may not be able to get this pay-as-you-go plan anymore. I do not know if the change is effective immediately or not.

For those who already bought a Flex Card and are using it, the terms and the no-expiration will continue until you deplete the $10. Once the $10 is used up, the only way to use the Flex Card would be in ADDITION to another Selectel Plan as an overage card.

Note that this update was given by one dealer. A different dealer said the Flex Card can still be used a standalone plan. Perhaps the upcoming change has not been implemented yet?

Member Summary

Selectel
Thanks Neilium
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Delete

Gpz1100 (Aug. 27, 2013 @ 3:40p) |

Has anyone used the Selectel Flex Card as a stand alone plan?

597404 (Oct. 08, 2013 @ 8:51a) |

I'm doing it but they no longer allow it.  Any new purchases of the Flex Card have to be in conjunction with a plan.  Th... (more)

giantsfan2 (Oct. 08, 2013 @ 2:57p) |

They charge $30 activation if you want to bring your own phone. No 4G or Blackberries allowed although you can try flashing it.

Update: the dealer mentioned in the original post is no longer giving free activation. However, several others are including http://batmobilewireless.com/

01. USE COUPON CODE: GWFORUM05 if you are using the dealer mentioned in the original post. SAVE 5 %!!!!
02. When you activate with Selectel, you are given 15 starter minutes.
03. Selectel does not charge extra for voice roaming within the United States.
04. Cost for mms is one text + applicable data charges.
05. Phones with an ESN containing LESS THAN 11 numbers do not work on Selectel. However as asuka mentioned, you can convert the shorter number.
06. Selectel's website is not the final version. They are working on it. Until that happens, it is probably better to use a dealer.
07. Selectel has a yearly plan for $75 which includes 2000 minutes, 1500 texts, and no data. No rollover either, and the Flex Card is required to use data.
08. An alternative to Selectel's Flex Card is Lycamobile's 2 cent plan. Lycamobile will not turn off active (doing something every 120 days) users. T-Mobile however is NOT regarded as having better national coverage that Verizon which is what Selectel uses.
09. There currently is no way to check your balance online. Only ways to check seem to be emailing Selectel or finding an app that gives you an estimate.
10. $10 Flex Cards can be stacked. This would be one way to safeguard against running out of minutes.
11. Porting from Verizon MVNO's Talk For Good or NextG seems is more complicated than a regular port. Dealer suggests contacting him for a workaround.
12. Autopay is only available for monthly plans.

-----

DEAL IS DEAD. Selectel no longer allows service to be activated without a monthly plan.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Isnt the PP $12 /mo more value?

Monthly plans will always have more value once you reach a certain point of usage. Pay-As-You-Go users do not use the service enough to justify a monthly fee.

anyone know if they have call forwarding or conditional call forwarding? there "features" only list voicemail, callerid and 3 way calling...

If you have a PP phone, you need to have the ESN released before activating on another VZW MVNO. Just because it's out of minutes does not mean it's deactivated.

Interesting...

The PagePlus $80 card gives you 2000 minutes for a year, IIRC. That is 4 Cents per minute with a full years usage.

If you are going to use at least 38 minutes per week, still pays to go with PagePlus.

Under that, this becomes appealing.

SteveG

A couple things, Selectel offer free voice/text roaming where Page charge per-minute for roaming in those areas. Also AFAIK there is no monthly fee docked like Page does with some plans like the (in)famous $80 PIN. So really it depends on your use case. At any rate I am glad to see more competition especially with Page Plus being swallowed up by America Movil I fear they will be less attractive in the future.

Now it's not all roses with Selectel if you don't go through a [nice] dealer they charge an activation fee and their website just plain sucks. No online account management, and what is on there is incomplete at best. They have some work to do.

Interesting larger selection of phones (appear unused) compared to PP -- which presumably could also be used on PP?

Very competitive to ptel which is now using the T Mobil network:
ptel Real Pay GO:
5 cents per minute
2 cents per text (Cheaper than OP's)
10 cents per MB (More expensive than OP's)
$10 Expires in 60 days.(Op's does not expire)
Man, too bad I just stocked up on cheap ptel cards!

cpabster said:   A couple things, Selectel offer free voice/text roaming where Page charge per-minute for roaming in those areas.

Selectel uses Verizon's postpaid coverage map, while Pageplus uses the (VZ) prepaid map.

their website looks very amateurish, look at the $50 monthly plan , just someone explain to me what "2 Gigabit data" is? is that 250Mb?

the no expiration date sounds very nice...

($10/4 months or 10 cents a minute vs $10/no expiration or 5 cents a minute...)

What is MVNO?

Sorry...Dup post

A Mobile Virtual Network Operator (MVNO) is a mobile operator that does not own its own spectrum and usually does not have its own network infrastructure.

Deal looks good, but it seems odd as well that the $30 plan gives 300mb data, but $40 plan gives only 200mb.

anyone at FW already a customer of Selectel? if so, please share the experience you've had. thank you

(I'm very tempted, especially if the upcoming $10 PIN really has no expiration)

VivYip said:   anyone at FW already a customer of Selectel? if so, please share the experience you've had. thank you

(I'm very tempted, especially if the upcoming $10 PIN really has no expiration)

I would like to know too. I have 2 #'s with PP. If all is good I might switch 1 to try it out.

saagar said:   Isnt the PP $12 /mo more value?

FunnyStuff said:   Monthly plans will always have more value once you reach a certain point of usage. Pay-As-You-Go users do not use the service enough to justify a monthly fee.

But that $12 monthly plan still only gives 250/250 (+ data). If you don't need data, PP has the $25 PAYG plan that gives 416 mins and lasts 4 months. So you can divide the talk and text time up how you wish. At least, it doesn't seem to have data? Although the 10MB data with the $12/mo postpaid plan, even with normal surfing/email (no video) could be used up in a few minutes, couldn't it?

Or the $10 PAYG that gives 100 mins. The $50 PAYG plan (which would be closest in price to your $12/mo plan) gives 1000 mins, but still only lasts 4 months, so many people wouldn't use it up.

where do we buy the phones to activate with this no expiration plan? this would be great for my mom as she barely uses her cell phone.

eBay , Craigslist search for Verizon Phones for Pageplus and make sure to check the ESN before you buy, I got a Incredible 1 for $70 from craigslist and used it on Pageplus without issues

Great timing, I'm glad I came across this....searching for a phone that will only be used in emergencies and I was hitting a road block with the pay as you go plans with the big carriers and the expiring minutes.

Is Genius Wireless a good dealer? I figure, if they are, I just talk to them and ask them the PP vs Selectel for my area and situation.

How's this?
http://www.rakuten.com/prod/htc-verizon-droid-incredible-3g-cdma...

Also Amazon, that is where I bought my droid x and another phone from the used section under like new.

baniya said:   eBay , Craigslist search for Verizon Phones for Pageplus and make sure to check the ESN before you buy, I got a Incredible 1 for $70 from craigslist and used it on Pageplus without issues
How do you check the ESN?
Also, what if you get a phone that's still in contract (Verizon or Sprint)? Can you kill that somehow? A hard reset won't.

Slickone said:   
How do you check the ESN?
Also, what if you get a phone that's still in contract (Verizon or Sprint)? Can you kill that somehow? A hard reset won't.

It can't be under contract or tied to another account. If the ESN is bad you won't be able to activate. It also can't be a "Prepaid" model unless it's been active and in-use on Verizon Prepaid for several months.

There are lots of online ESN checkers but just understand they aren't always 100% and you may get one which can't be activated despite showing "Clean" on one of those sites.

If I were buying one locally say via Craiglist I would meet at Verizon Store and verify ESN eligibility before I completed the transaction.

And just for those who aren't aware, Selectel is a Verizon reseller, so they will have the same restrictions on activation. Same with Page Plus or any other Verizon reseller. You can often finagle your way in to getting devices that aren't officially sanctioned or supported on them but a bad ESN will be a no go.

sgogo said:   Interesting...

The PagePlus $80 card gives you 2000 minutes for a year, IIRC. That is 4 Cents per minute with a full years usage.

If you are going to use at least 38 minutes per week, still pays to go with PagePlus.

Under that, this becomes appealing.

SteveG

Selectel has a different plan to compete against the $80 Page plus pin. For $75 that lasts 1 year, Selectel gives you 2000 minutes + 1500 texts. That means for $5 less, you get a "bonus" of 1500 text messages. However, unused minutes do NOT rollover on the next refill. Data is also NOT included with the $75. Instead, data requires the purchase of the Flex Card that charges 5 cents per megabyte.

Today, the dealer posted that:

1. Call-forwarding works the same as on Page plus.
2. Cost for mms is one text + applicable data charges.
3. Phones with an ESN containing LESS THAN 11 numbers do not work on Selectel.

Question to PP users..I do the 80 dollar for 2000. this year it looks like I will have about 20 dollars left by the time my year is up...does it roll over if I add another 80.00 before the year is up??? or is there absolutely no roll over??

FunnyStuff said:

Today, the dealer posted that:

1. Call-forwarding works the same as on Page plus.
2. Cost for mms is one text + applicable data charges.
3. Phones with an ESN containing LESS THAN 11 numbers do not work on Selectel.

Regarding #3 - All Verizon CDMA phones have at least an 11 digit ESN. Some may misunderstand this comment to mean that their ESN HEX device doesn't qualify... you just need to convert the hexadecimal format into an 11 digit ESN.

All Verizon CDMA-only devices should be cleared to activate on Verizon, provided that they are not Verizon first-party prepaid devices.

billtmore said:   Question to PP users..I do the 80 dollar for 2000. this year it looks like I will have about 20 dollars left by the time my year is up...does it roll over if I add another 80.00 before the year is up???

Yes, and you can add any standard plan refill $10-$80.

but C3 the only way I could get another year would be with 80 otherwise it would only extend 120 days right? I just could not find any statement saying the minutes roll over

billtmore said:   but C3 the only way I could get another year would be with 80 otherwise it would only extend 120 days right? I just could not find any statement saying the minutes roll over

On the front page popup window: "Pay-As-You-Go Plans pay for what you need. let it rollover." I'm sure it's in the T&C as well.

Yes, 120 days for $10/$25/$50.

thanks...off to look!

Only an idiot uses unedited images over a MB in their website design. Plus there are dead links and incomplete pages. Also you click on the landline plans and you are taken to a different website where they try to sell you an alternative electric plan as well.

The flex card sounds like a great deal especially if you send MMS often.

Agree. Their website appears to be done by a high school drop out.

kickerstarter said:   Agree. Their website appears to be done by a high school drop out.

Apparently you haven't seen PP over the years, or their largest retailer, Kitty Wireless.

These Verizon MVNOs are making literally a penny or two per minute. It's bare bones wireless aimed at people who, for the most part, qualify for Lifeline/Obamaphones today. I suspect PP sold out to Tracfone because they saw sales drop due to Obamaphones.

Techies like us are a niche. Most PP/Selectel customers are poor people who buy from urban dealers that resell multiple prepaid wireless options.

Edit: Seeing the red, some may mistake my harshness for a lack of pity. I'm just explaining the economics - not that I'm disparaging anyone in the situations above.

lycamobile, uses tmobile and charges 2 cents per minute, I think that is the cheapest pay go.

Baby123 said:   lycamobile, uses tmobile and charges 2 cents per minute, I think that is the cheapest pay go.

It's only the cheapest if you use the minutes. Lycamobile requires a $5 top up every 90 days.

Selectel is saying you don't need to refill ever. For emergency/backup phone uses, this is great because you can reload one $10 PIN and never have to worry about it expiring.

Plus Lycamobile uses T-Mobile's network and requires a GSM unlocked phone. Selectel uses Verizon's pervasive CDMA network and will work with most CDMA Verizon-branded (non-prepaid) phones.

asuka said:   ...
Selectel is saying you don't need to refill ever. For emergency/backup phone uses, this is great because you can reload one $10 PIN and never have to worry about it expiring....

I am actually going to take an old phone, put $10 on it, and throw it in my car as a backup.

too bad I just loaded another $80. Sigh!!

Skipping 99 Messages...
597404 said:   Has anyone used the Selectel Flex Card as a stand alone plan?
I'm doing it but they no longer allow it.  Any new purchases of the Flex Card have to be in conjunction with a plan.  There are rumors that they are planning to introduce a Pay As You Go plan in the future that has an expiration date.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014