• Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
BaoFeng *UV-5R Plus* UV 5R+ Dual-Band 136-174/400-480 MHz FM Ham Two-way Radio, Improved Stronger Case, More Rich and Enhanced Features (2013 Enhanced Version)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0097252UK

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C83AU9S/

http://www.radioddity.com/us/baofeng-uv-5r-plus-earphone-136-174...

Description:
BaoFeng *UV-5R Plus* UV 5R+ Dual-Band 136-174/400-480 MHz FM Ham Two-way Radio, More Stubborn Case, More Rich and Enhanced Features (2013 the Latest Version)
Product Features:
Frequency Range: 136-174 / 400-479.995 MHz.
Upgrade the frame material. Metallic, more durable and more fashionable.
With full high two colors LED definition display, the screen exquisite clarity.
The new English,German,French instruction, more convenient and more humanized.
The New 2013 packing,more beautiful and quite well-done.
ASIN: B0097252UK

Amazon
Get Up to 3.0% Cash Back in the Following Departments:
Member Summary

136-174/400-480
Thanks Farfisa850
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

A functionally identical radio with a different look is only $33.08:

UV-5R (non-plus)

A quick search online reveals that aside from the cosmetics, most people can't determine what the difference really is. Which is better depends on which style you prefer.

Continuum said:   
A quick search online reveals that aside from the cosmetics, most people can't determine what the difference really is. Which is better depends on which style you prefer.



Yep, as the new one seems to have quite the pretentious description listing:


"The New 2013 packing, more beautiful and quite well-done."

respdoc said:   Continuum said:   
A quick search online reveals that aside from the cosmetics, most people can't determine what the difference really is. Which is better depends on which style you prefer.



Yep, as the new one seems to have quite the pretentious description listing:


"The New 2013 packing, more beautiful and quite well-done."


LOL... love the translations.

But hey -- bright colors now! Flame Red, Yellow, Camouflage, and Royal Blue!

In the days of Hallicrafter. people took licensure seriously. I'm wondering how serious the people who buy these for $35 are about licensure. Yeah, I know - it's a federal offense. But I also know that this isn't exactly a law enforcement priority and that just locating a pirate user is very difficult. So....?

Back in the day I thought Ham radio was the coolest thing ever. Then cellphones and the internet happened. Not so amazing after that.

It all depends on what type of dork you're interested in conversing with. Both radio and internet have their 'inner circles' who hate outsiders and prefer to live bravely while remaining mostly anonymous.

I've *heard* that the newer model comes with a different firmware but there isn't a consensus on what or why. These radios aren't spectacular but I do have a cheap Wouxun that I'm happy with for the price. They can be fun if you're within the 2-watt range.

wizardking said:   Back in the day I thought Ham radio was the coolest thing ever. Then cellphones and the internet happened. Not so amazing after that.

Yeah me too. I got my Extra before the "memorize the answers" tests came out. I let it expire and several years later sat down and took all exams needed to get my Extra class again. I aced all 3 tests and the examiners were amazed. I told them all the answers for the questions are given on the internet so what was the big deal?

GreenTrash said:   I'm wondering how serious the people who buy these for $35 are about licensure.

These little radios are a tad tricky. If they are too lazy to take the exam, I assure you they'll be too lazy to program them!

Back up to $46.93 today...

Radioddity has it for $39.99 + FS.

http://www.radioddity.com/us/baofeng-uv-5r-plus-earphone-136-174...


looks like fun i used to have an old Radio Shack 2 meter. I like that the older model is 7 dollars less but seems identical except cosmetically

What can be done with a ham radio?

well in the worst case scenario if all the power and cell towers were out and you had a battery and solar array you could be a sole source of communication in a disaster

billtmore said:   well in the worst case scenario if all the power and cell towers were out and you had a battery and solar array you could be a sole source of communication in a disaster
Maybe someone should tell Rick Grimes.



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014