Sony NSZ-GS7 Google TV $60 at Target

Archived From: Hot Deals
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Target has the Sony NSZ-GS7 on clearance for $60. Just got one today. This is in Orange County, CA. Might be local.

Member Summary

Sony NSZ-GS7
Thanks Farfisa850
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Just got the last one at my store here in Raleigh, NC today for $60

savagepagan (Aug. 23, 2013 @ 4:11p) |

Gotta ask, which Raleigh because I've checked them all and only WF had one.

Gotta ask where are these things displayed? I... (more)

jeffd (Aug. 23, 2013 @ 6:14p) |

its $100 at best buy right now if you cant find any at target. theres none in my area according to the inventory checker... (more)

MCfreiz (Aug. 28, 2013 @ 7:32a) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
    • Manufacturer › Sony
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

yeah they are clearing them out. I got one for $70 (50% off original $200 - $30 open item) that still had the manufacturer seals on the bags.

good thing I didn't wait, they had 5 in my area at $100 that vanished within 2 days.

edit to add: Sony has a GS8 coming out that is the same box but with a new remote, that includes a mic for voice search.

The remote is sold separately for about $50.

Check stock here.

Thanks opie. They are on clearance for $59.99 (extra 5% with the Target red card) at the Target CITI in Westwood. Scored one.

I was hired a few years ago by an agency with a Sony contract to demonstrate this product.Best Buy was selling them for $70. I was UNABLE to demonstrate it to customers...it is unintuitive,it did not respond to the remote...THIS IS A FLAWED Sony PRODUCT....2.5 years later they STILL HAVE INVENTORY!If you just buy because its cheap...go ahead.

This unit was discontinued by Sony 2.5 years ago as a flawed product.

well, out of 277 reviews on Amazon it's 4.5/5 overall link

belgique said:   This unit was discontinued by Sony 2.5 years ago as a flawed product.

3.4 of 5 from Amazon review

belgique said:   This unit was discontinued by Sony 2.5 years ago as a flawed product.

Salut le compatriote, it is the NSZ-GT1 that was discontinued and not the NSZ-GS7 which was released last year.

Wow, 2.5 years ago! Given the NSZ-GS7 was announced at CES in January of 2012 and not available at Best Buy or any other store until Summer of 2012, can't imagine how your demo would have worked, lol. As for pricing, it was launched at $199, been on sale a number of times at $169. There were no Google TV boxes at $70, certainly not a few years ago. Lowest cost option was when Logitech dropped their Revue price down to $99 two years ago and now you also have the Vizio Co-Star at $99.

Google TV boxes are not without their issues, but in my opinion, this is the best GTV option out there at the moment and worth a shot at $60. I mainly use my box to stream videos stored on my PC using the Plex app ($1) and I can also stream from my iPad through AirPlay using the Airtight app (also $1). Comes with a nice app for watching TV that works with your cable or satellite box. If you want it web browsing though, you'll probably be disappointed. You have access to the Google Play store and lots of other apps out there to pull in online videos.

belgique said:   I was hired a few years ago by an agency with a Sony contract to demonstrate this product.Best Buy was selling them for $70. I was UNABLE to demonstrate it to customers...it is unintuitive,it did not respond to the remote...THIS IS A FLAWED Sony PRODUCT....2.5 years later they STILL HAVE INVENTORY!If you just buy because its cheap...go ahead.

belgique said:   I was hired a few years ago by an agency with a Sony contract to demonstrate this product.Best Buy was selling them for $70. I was UNABLE to demonstrate it to customers...it is unintuitive,it did not respond to the remote...THIS IS A FLAWED Sony PRODUCT....2.5 years later they STILL HAVE INVENTORY!If you just buy because its cheap...go ahead.

BS. These never sold at launch for $70, and they were not on the market 2.5 years ago.

I worked at Best Buy for Sony during Christmas in 2011. They were there in 2011...what I said about the problems with them
is all true. My experience is not hearsay...its personal knowledge.
Some people would buy dirty cat litter if the price had been reduced.

They lowered the price to $70 to blow them out as they were not selling.
I have direct personal knowledge ...do you?

belgique said:   They lowered the price to $70 to blow them out as they were not selling.
I have direct personal knowledge ...do you?

Well, that's usually the reason any item is clearanced. That doesn't mean it isn't a good product. I think, in general, Google TV was considered somewhat of a failure. That would account for slow sales. Still a good price.

belgique said:   I worked at Best Buy for Sony during Christmas in 2011. They were there in 2011...what I said about the problems with them
is all true. My experience is not hearsay...its personal knowledge.
Some people would buy dirty cat litter if the price had been reduced.

Then you must be really confused. This product was announced at CES in January 2012, released later in the year. No way it was being clearanced/reduced in December 2011.

Here's a review from CNET: CNET Review
Do note that the review is dated June 24, 2012 and in the review, it says available July 22.

Your opinion on the product is your own, but get your facts straight. You're blabbering about it not working in 2011 when it wasn't even in existence yet.

Perhaps it got an update to fix all the problems in the unit I worked with in 2011...but at $60, they are probably dumping them
keep in mind this unit plays Bluray discs and Sony's most basic Bluray goes for about $80 without wifi built in.
As far as on-line reports...few of them are objective as they depend upon advertising to exist if they don't have good reports,then that scares manufactures.
Nothing illegal about giving false test reports.

So Belgique, now it's clear. You mentioned that this product plays blurays, but actually it does not. The NSZ-GS7 is a 2nd generation stand alone GTV box, unlike the 1st generation device, this does not include a built in bluray player. As for the review, I linked it just to point out that you couldn't have been talking about the same device. If you actually read the review, you'll see that the reviewer experienced lots of problems, so it wasn't a glowing review. I think it was only given 2.5 stars out of 5.

I do own both the 1st and 2nd generation Sony GTV devices. The software is vastly improved, but there are still issues. At $199, I wouldn't recommend it given other options like the Roku, WDTV Live and Apple TV. At $60, if you can grab one, it's worth trying out if you want a media streamer with greater flexibility. Unfortunately the major problem for all of these boxes is free content, but not because of the device, it's the greed of the content providers. With a PC, I can use the free version of Hulu and stream movies from the networks (ABC, NBC, Fox), but if I'm using a GTV box (or most other non PC devices), it's blocked or I'm told that I need to pay for the premium service.

belgique said:   Perhaps it got an update to fix all the problems in the unit I worked with in 2011...but at $60, they are probably dumping them
keep in mind this unit plays Bluray discs and Sony's most basic Bluray goes for about $80 without wifi built in.
As far as on-line reports...few of them are objective as they depend upon advertising to exist if they don't have good reports,then that scares manufactures.
Nothing illegal about giving false test reports.

I don't think this is the unit you think it is. It definitely does not play blu-ray discs. I ran across this in the clearance end-cap of my local Target while looking for a decent mp3 player but I passed, android sticks have more functionality in a smaller footprint at roughly the same price.

I'm feeling bad for belgique... surely he/she can say something accurate!

Just installed the NSZ-GS7 and updated the firmware to the 6/29/13 version. The update is a definitely must (the NSZ-GS7 was quite slow before then). The device works just like my Vizio co-star. The Sony remote is much better in my opinion except for the keys on the keyboard (compared to the Vizio). It also has a light when the device is turned on which the Vizio is lacking.

So far, I'm please with the NSZ-GS7. Can't go wrong for $60.

Here is a full online comparison between the 2 devices: Linky

The $35 chromecast dongle seems to pull the rug from under the googletv. It's duplication like android vs chromeos, and we know which is the stepchild.

That was version 1, but very soon the same fate awaits version 2. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

No offense but just because a product is discounted greatly does not mean you should buy it. I have purchased so much junk that I did not need and not doing that again*.

*I say this but I am sure I will end up buying something I do not need

I have been using Google TV for over 2 years, it is more difficult to use than other streaming boxes like Roku and Apple TV but it does so much more that it is worth the effort for me. I am using both the NSZ-GT1 and NSZ-GS7, both work great for my needs. I could find no NSZ-GS7 stock at Target on clearance but for those that were lucky enough to find one, make the required effort to learn to use it. The upcoming update to Jellybean might make it easier to use, I have no experience with Jellybean on any Android device so I can't really speculate if that will be the case.

As far as beligue's nonsense inaccurate posts regarding when he was unable to operate the NSZ-GS7, don't pay any attention to his claims. All that can believed is that he was unable to use the device, if he tried when it was actually available at Best Buy sometime in mid to late 2012. In 2011 he could have tried to operate a Sony streaming box of some kind and been unable, that is credible based on his inability to get things straight.

The only Target store showing stock on the NSZ-GS7 within a couple hundred miles of me is in Texarkana.

I have been using this Sony device for a year now and it works fine. Sony has issued several software updates that corrected many issues. I use it mainly for Amazon prime streaming which works great. Sometimes I have to reboot the device as it may freeze when connecting to Amazon but that doesn't happen very much at all. It is not worth $200 but at this price it is a good deal. The remote is nice and has many features including a lighted keyboard and a touchpad on the other side.

Just got the last one at my store here in Raleigh, NC today for $60

Gotta ask, which Raleigh because I've checked them all and only WF had one.

Gotta ask where are these things displayed? I've checked near the Roku's, blueray players, clearance end caps and never found a spot where they would be. My guess is next to Roku and netgear media streaming boxes.

its $100 at best buy right now if you cant find any at target. theres none in my area according to the inventory checker

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014