• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Mediasonic HW150PVR ATSC HD converter box with recording, HDMI output $37.99 after code EMCXMXW229
For the cable cutters who get a decent OTA TV signal. This box receives OTA digital TV along with the ability to record to flash or usb hard drive. Has an HDMI output for HD. EPG for TV listings. Great alternative to more expensive DVRs. I have two already and just ordered a third at this price. Firmware update available here.

AVS forum thread for more info

Member Summary

Mediasonic HW150PVR
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Does this also work for unencrypted basic cable?

From the feedback
JG said: Cons: This box will not work with any "clear" channels broadcast over a cable, which is what I bought it for. Works with antenna input only (ATSC). Does NOT have a QAM tuner to receive cable signals that a normal TV would. Don't buy this if you plan to attach it to your cable TV system.

So no.

Schmide said:   From the feedback
JG said: Cons: This box will not work with any "clear" channels broadcast over a cable, which is what I bought it for. Works with antenna input only (ATSC). Does NOT have a QAM tuner to receive cable signals that a normal TV would. Don't buy this if you plan to attach it to your cable TV system.

So no.

QAM tuner is for digital cable, what about analog cable though?  Mrlincoln can you be more specific on what you are looking for, either clear QAM vs analog channels?

I have a converter to make any basic video (yellow jack) into any analog channel (0-68) through coax. If this box can view analog, that would be a useful feature for me

Saw people talking about this a few months ago but reading the reviews then, it seemed like there was a lot of bugs to work out. Since then it looks like the company joined AVS forums (as well as created their own support forum) took feedback from members and offered a firmware update (as noted in the OP) and looks like just yesterday they have a new layout for the remote, which was one of the other big complaints.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1482341/homeworx-hw-150pvr-support-and-discussion/240#post_23717173 
http://http://forum.mediasonic.ca/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=1811

But it seems that the scheduled recordings are still in big need of fixing. What's your experience with this skibum43?

I like mine quite a bit. Running the latest firmware with a 2.5 hard drive on USB. No problems yet. The function
names on the remote are a bit odd but....

I've read that there are two versions of this, the Mediasonic one and the Homeworx one, and the Homeworx one is much more reliable.

Sorry, the promo code EMCXMXW229 you've entered is invalid.??

Also can it record the entire series, like Tivo season pass??

prayerfails said:   I like mine quite a bit. Running the latest firmware with a 2.5 hard drive on USB. No problems yet. The function
names on the remote are a bit odd but....

Thanks, are you using for cable or OTA? Are you using timed recordings and are they working properly?
mjbok said:   I've read that there are two versions of this, the Mediasonic one and the Homeworx one, and the Homeworx one is much more reliable.
I haven't done the diligent research, but I believe that Mediasonic owns or produces the Homeworx. What you're thinking of is the iView-3500.

http://http://www.avsforum.com/t/1465875/iview-3500stb-tuner-dvr-owners-thread       
http://http://www.avsforum.com/t/1482341/homeworx-hw-150pvr-support-and-discussion       

So it appears the iView has not only changed the layout of their remote, they changed the entire remote! Seems a lot more user friendly and it's bigger so better for people who don't like small buttons. It's not confirmed when it will be out but it's projected for sometime this month I think. Other than that, the hardware appears to be mostly the same. If I remember correctly I might have read that some people were able to cross-flashed firmwares between both products. The firmware is the next big distinction. The Homeworx offers an update that handles QAM, but it's unsupported. They are focusing on the OTA functionality. The iView came out with new firmware last month that fixes a bunch of problems as well, so it's hard to tell which one is the better one now.
vickh said:   Sorry, the promo code EMCXMXW229 you've entered is invalid.??

Also can it record the entire series, like Tivo season pass??

The code works fine for me. Is your account signed up to receive Newegg newsletters? If not you might need to enable in your account settings. Maybe it's targeted? Last day for this coupon code. You have until 11:59PM PDT.

As to your Tivo question, from what I've read so far, it doesn't appear to be a Tivo-competitor per se, it's just a simple tuner and DVR (in which you need to provide your own hard drive). A digital VCR as I think somebody put it. You might want to search the AVS links I posted above, they probably have talked about it. If you find the answer, please come back and share with us!

Both products seem like they have the potential to be great. All they have to do is hire somebody (maybe an AVS forum member) to consult on product changes, work on marketing, and a better FAQ and manual. A lot of it just seems like very minor tweaks (but a lot of them) to make this a solid product. Looks like a forum member, videobruce, is helping iView with their system. And that's good news that both companies seem to be actively improving each product. The price is very tempting, but I am waiting for both of them to stabilize their products a bit more before buying as it seems it's not only just software related items that they need to fix. That and I'm too lazy at the moment to read all those threads, so take all the info I gave you with many grains of salt. It's stuff I picked up from heavy skimming.

I want to try one of these . How do I purchase one? Can I purchase an extended warranty ?

Can sombody help me buy Mediasonic HW150pvr for 37.99 when I try to buy it the price at checkout is $45.99
Dsta1711@gmail.com
Text (916) 289-1711

Can sombody help me buy Mediasonic HW150pvr for 37.99 when I try to buy it the price at checkout is $45.99
Dsta at Newegg

Dsta at Newegg

2 late You had until 11:59PM PDT

Got mine today. Price was right but  Software is a little clunky, maybe new firmware will help??
anyone try harmony remotes ??

Looking at how these DTV boxes are dropping in price I'm going to sell my CECBs now

can't do recordings from Epg??

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014