Micro$oft cuts Surface Pro prices

Archived From: Hot Deals
  • Go to page :
  • 1 23
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

Microsoft Store
See Microsoft Store discounts that earn 4.0% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

surface (69.53kB)
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
That is their problem. They think they "own this generation". They do not. People are showing that by not buying their p... (more)

ryryfree (Aug. 24, 2013 @ 2:58p) |

I am not an apple fanboi. In fact, they annoy me. I have recently started using apple products. The main thing I like ab... (more)

ryryfree (Aug. 24, 2013 @ 3:10p) |

Definitely appreciate WINDOWS 8 speed....Seven was very slowwwwwwww....

MIGHTYMACHONE (Aug. 24, 2013 @ 3:29p) |

• Also categorized in:

These are the prices after the cut? Ouch.

Slider said:   These are the prices after the cut? Ouch.

Yup, they only cut $100 off what was already a $300 overpriced device. Once it comes down another $200 or so it'll be in good shape to compete with the others in this class.

bugsie said:   Slider said:   These are the prices after the cut? Ouch.

Yup, they only cut $100 off what was already a $300 overpriced device. Once it comes down another $200 or so it'll be in good shape to compete with the others in this class.

Except of course for the general sucky-ness of Windows 8.

Windows 8 is amazing on a touchscreen and every bit as good as Win7 on a desktop with a few downloads. I just don't understand the knee jerk hate on this product. If they never change, Apple/Google will eat their lunch. And any change they make is vilified by a vocal minority. What can MS do at this point? I agree that RT is a waste, but the only thing they did wrong with the Pro models in my opinion is not wait for Haswell. If they refresh this design with the newest hotness from Intel I would gladly pay full price. Well, maybe I would try to find a coupon at least

QuadesFather said:   Windows 8 is amazing on a touchscreen and every bit as good as Win7 on a desktop with a few downloads. I just don't understand the knee jerk hate on this product. If they never change, Apple/Google will eat their lunch. And any change they make is vilified by a vocal minority. What can MS do at this point? I agree that RT is a waste, but the only thing they did wrong with the Pro models in my opinion is not wait for Haswell. If they refresh this design with the newest hotness from Intel I would gladly pay full price. Well, maybe I would try to find a coupon at least

With Microsoft, it seemingly is always the simple stuff that they just don't "get". It's like the folks that designed Win 8 did absolutely no testing among a broad base of users, and then even when they get feedback such as the Start button, they foolishly and stubbornly refuse to change. Their XBox division almost went down this same route with the One, initially refusing to back down from their used game policies, etc. Unfortunately with Win 8 it wasn't the same.

Windows 8 would have been great by having done two VERY simple things -

1) Have the ability to turn metro functionality OFF on desktops if a user never wishes to use it.
2) Keep the start button.

This would have solved 90% of their woes with customers. Very simple, and if they used any sort of broad QA and market testing, this would have stood out. Get a 60 year old person who uses Windows 7, but has limited computing knowledge overall, and fire up Windows 8 and they are LOST. Hell, they won't even be able to figure out how to shut down the O/S. That's a STUPID mistake Microsoft made.

Such simple mistakes will lead them to massive losses.

I have had nothing but frustrations with Windows 8 and most everyone I know..... and also agree that thing is way over priced. And poorly made. Someone I know got one and it went dead already and no one wanted to honor any warranty.

i'm 40 years old and being a window software engineer for over 15 years.... and still don't know how to turn the windows 8 os off without a start button.

Eryeal said:   QuadesFather said:   Windows 8 is amazing on a touchscreen and every bit as good as Win7 on a desktop with a few downloads. I just don't understand the knee jerk hate on this product. If they never change, Apple/Google will eat their lunch. And any change they make is vilified by a vocal minority. What can MS do at this point? I agree that RT is a waste, but the only thing they did wrong with the Pro models in my opinion is not wait for Haswell. If they refresh this design with the newest hotness from Intel I would gladly pay full price. Well, maybe I would try to find a coupon at least

With Microsoft, it seemingly is always the simple stuff that they just don't "get". It's like the folks that designed Win 8 did absolutely no testing among a broad base of users, and then even when they get feedback such as the Start button, they foolishly and stubbornly refuse to change. Their XBox division almost went down this same route with the One, initially refusing to back down from their used game policies, etc. Unfortunately with Win 8 it wasn't the same.

1) Have the ability to turn metro functionality OFF on desktops if a user never wishes to use it.

This would have solved 90% of their woes with customers. Very simple, and if they used any sort of broad QA and market testing, this would have stood out. Get a 60 year old person who uses Windows 7, but has limited computing knowledge overall, and fire up Windows 8 and they are LOST. Hell, they won't even be able to figure out how to shut down the O/S. That's a STUPID mistake Microsoft made.

Such simple mistakes will lead them to massive losses.

But there are two very popular downloads that restore the Start button. If this small complaint is the main thing holding you back then I wonder if you had an open mind to begin with regarding a new OS. My iPad doesn't have a Start button and I've managed to use it for a while. My S4 doesn't have a Start button. Why does every version of Windows automatically need one? And if you must have it, why not just download Start8 or ClassicShell? It sounds like two minutes of time would solve the issue. But on a touchscreen device the Start menu really isn't necessary.

I get it. Windows 8 lost the consumer PR battle already. I just don't understand why.

QuadesFather said:   Windows 8 is amazing on a touchscreen and every bit as good as Win7 on a desktop with a few downloads. I just don't understand the knee jerk hate on this product. If they never change, Apple/Google will eat their lunch. And any change they make is vilified by a vocal minority. What can MS do at this point? I agree that RT is a waste, but the only thing they did wrong with the Pro models in my opinion is not wait for Haswell. If they refresh this design with the newest hotness from Intel I would gladly pay full price. Well, maybe I would try to find a coupon at least

RT actually *isn't* a waste. I have a Dell XPS 10 with RT on it and actually like the product for what it can do. I also have an ASUS tablet with Android on it and am consistently dismayed to find that a browser crash or a crash in another application will bring down the whole operating system and reboot the device. The RT device rarely has an application crash and has never had an application take down the OS.

Depending upon your use of a tablet, an RT device may or may not be a good option. If your workload consists of mainly using office documents, using remote desktop or consuming web apps, or *printing* documents an RT device might be an attractive option.

My issues with RT are mainly the lack of first mover advantage. I like those devices too. But I'm already invested in the Apple walled garden. Without a compelling reason to switch platforms I'm ok with the "good enough" solution offered by the fruity cult. But a full version of Windows 8 is a game changer. My wife loves her Lenovo Atom tablet from Staples with Windows 8. I want the power of the i5 chip, but Ivy Bridge is just a little too power hungry. Haswell can and should fix that one deficiency. But I do fear that the haters have already consigned this OS to Vista purgatory. And all because of a feature that is a free download away. I think that is kind of funny. I hate Internet Explorer. But I don't deride the entire OS over a small feature. I just install Firefox and move on.

Clearly you are not well informed, nor was this a knee jerk reaction. I'm sure windows 8 is great on a touchscreen, but so is Android and Whatever Apple sells for a truckload of $$ less. Pair the cost factor and the poor implementation of windows 8 and this was inevitable. Realistically this should have been priced under $399 from the get go for any chance of success. Even the RT models should have been priced at less than $249.99.

At this point MS can do better research and make what people want, they have never been successful at gadgets. Stick with software, but even this last round of windows its taking them forever just to release a service pack.

Sadly, you know I am right.

QuadesFather said:   But there are two very popular downloads that restore the Start button. If this small complaint is the main thing holding you back then I wonder if you had an open mind to begin with regarding a new OS. My iPad doesn't have a Start button and I've managed to use it for a while. My S4 doesn't have a Start button. Why does every version of Windows automatically need one? And if you must have it, why not just download Start8 or ClassicShell? It sounds like two minutes of time would solve the issue. But on a touchscreen device the Start menu really isn't necessary.

I get it. Windows 8 lost the consumer PR battle already. I just don't understand why.

To be fair, there are other really *annoying* things with Windows 8. One that particularly bugs me (compared to Windows 7) is that when using multiple monitors, the application that you attempt to start on one monitor may not always start on that monitor. This causes problems because if you are using the "Metro" desktop in one monitor and classic in another, starting a new program can cause the Metro desktop to switch to classic desktop and thus pause the app that you were using. Since I have 3 monitors it becomes even more of a pain because it seems no matter which monitor that I use, anytime I start or give focus to a "classic" desktop application all screens switch to classic desktop mode rather than just the one that I started the program in.

There are lots of other annoyances like that but I think that it's more of a testament that Windows 7 was so good rather than Windows 8 is bad that makes people upset about Windows 8. With Windows 7 *finally* you had an OS that did pretty much everything well (as Windows XP did in its heyday). Now with Windows 8 we have to deal with new annoyances with little new perceived value (unless you have a touchscreen device)

QuadesFather said:   

Really?

Then you never will. Same as an Apple fanboi.

Eryeal said:   

This has basically been done in windows 8.1 (boot to desktop and start menu) which is available as a free download (in beta now, in release in a couple months) for win8 owners.

I'm waiting for the next generation Surface Pro but I suspect the price will be higher. The equivalent ultra books and convertibles I've seen are pricier than Surface Pro. They are also a bit heavier/larger.

Wow, ZombieHunter, you are the opposite of a fanboi. You're a hateboi. But I'm bored at work, so I'll play your game. Windows 8 plays at the Apple price point with 3rd party Atom processor releases from Acer and Lenovo to name a few. Are you really making the argument that having higher powered options is a bad thing? We should all be offered one model with one processor and like it! Maybe our masters should give us different storage options. I have a sneaking suspicion that you may be an Apple guy. I like options. I like the idea of getting an Atom for my wife and an i5 for myself while staying on one OS platform. But I probably just don't get it...

ViveLeRoi - I do understand the multi-monitor issues of Windows 8 and the fact that as a new UI it is like starting over with new growing pains. I hope the service pack addresses those. But this topic was about the Surface Pro so I was trying to stick to issues specific to that device and not a general Windows 8 pro and con discussion.

TheMeliorist said:   Eryeal said:   

This has basically been done in windows 8.1 (boot to desktop and start menu) which is available as a free download (in beta now, in release in a couple months) for win8 owners.

Actually, this has not been done, as it is in beta. And it should have been done last year when people demanded it. Kinda like selling tires that have no valve stems... sure they are tires, but do they work and are they what people want?

The bottom line is simple, you produce and adapt products that the majority of people want, NOT the minority.

Zombie - Most metrics I've seen show that the majority of people DO NOT want Internet Explorer. They want Chrome or Firefox or even Opera. But I don't see the venom spewed at every version of Windows over that issue. I think web browsers are a pretty important aspect of computing for most. I'm honestly asking, why is it considered normal to install a 3rd party browser and incredibly arduous to install Start8/ClassicShell? Oh, and what browser are you using to visit Fatwallet?

QuadesFather said:   Wow, ZombieHunter, you are the opposite of a fanboi. You're a hateboi. But I'm bored at work, so I'll play your game. Windows 8 plays at the Apple price point with 3rd party Atom processor releases from Acer and Lenovo to name a few. Are you really making the argument that having higher powered options is a bad thing? We should all be offered one model with one processor and like it! Maybe our masters should give us different storage options. I have a sneaking suspicion that you may be an Apple guy. I like options. I like the idea of getting an Atom for my wife and an i5 for myself while staying on one OS platform. But I probably just don't get it...

ViveLeRoi - I do understand the multi-monitor issues of Windows 8 and the fact that as a new UI it is like starting over with new growing pains. I hope the service pack addresses those. But this topic was about the Surface Pro so I was trying to stick to issues specific to that device and not a general Windows 8 pro and con discussion.

No, not at all... I was a MS fanboi for years, and for the most part still am... However, MS's recent (since win8) "we know best, and the customer will have to learn and comply attitude" doesn't sit well with me. When you have a tremendous software package like win7, you continue to improve, NOT destroy and change.

I hate Apple for the record. But, I am now becoming more pro Android everyday.... Software, I CAN customize and use easily.

QuadesFather said:   Zombie - Most metrics I've seen show that the majority of people DO NOT want Internet Explorer. They want Chrome or Firefox or even Opera. But I don't see the venom spewed at every version of Windows over that issue. I think web browsers are a pretty important aspect of computing for most. I'm honestly asking, why is it considered normal to install a 3rd party browser and incredibly arduous to install Start8/ClassicShell? Oh, and what browser are you using to visit Fatwallet?

I use IE10... sadly because its the best of the worst. Chrome is ok, but hate FF

Since this is turning into a Win8 bashfest, let me chime in:
It was a fatal mistake to rush with Win 8 for desktops and laptops when Win 7 is a stable platform and is not that old. It's probably the best Win OS version and MS should have exercised caution in "upgrading" in a rush. There are not enough drivers out there for Win 8 and that coupled with MS's heavy-handed and active discouragement of box makers from continuing to sell Win 7 even to business customers has kept businesses from buying new machines. The proper thing to do would have been to let Win 7 and Win 8 to coexist until Win 8's kinks are ironed out. MS went from a company that offered legacy support for up to 7 years to 0 years. They simply have become untrustworthy. So now they are hated by business customers as well as by non-tech savvy users.

stardent said:   Since this is turning into a Win8 bashfest, let me chime in:
It was a fatal mistake to rush with Win 8 for desktops and laptops when Win 7 is a stable platform and is not that old. It's probably the best Win OS version and MS should have exercised caution in "upgrading" in a rush. There are not enough drivers out there for Win 8 and that coupled with MS's heavy-handed and active discouragement of box makers from continuing to sell Win 7 even to business customers has kept businesses from buying new machines. The proper thing to do would have been to let Win 7 and Win 8 to coexist until Win 8's kinks are ironed out. MS went from a company that offered legacy support for up to 7 years to 0 years. They simply have become untrustworthy. So now they are hated by business customers as well as by non-tech savvy users.

Perfectly stated.

TheMeliorist said:   Eryeal said:   

Well Not exactly. The supposed "improved" version of Winnows 8.1 has just made a bad product even worse. If customers were not confused before they certainly will be when it is released.

For example...

8.1 does not bring back the start button and start menu at least in the traditional windows sense. On a touch enabled devices with "new" 8.1 a single tap of the start button in desktop mode simply takes you right back to the metro start screen so you don't have use gesture controls. On non-touch enabled devices and/or touch devices with a mouse attached a single left click of the new 8.1 start button in desktop mode does brings up a start menu though nothing like that found in Windows 7 or earlier versions of Windows. To get that same functionality on a touch enabled device you must tap and hold the start button in desktop mode for 3 seconds or longer. Confused yet?

Installing programs on the "improved" 8.1 Metro interface has become more confusing than ever as the MS Installer service no longer by creates a default Metro tile on the Metro Start screen for installed programs. You have to know to swipe up from the bottom of a touch enabled device to expose the entire start menu and reveal the newly installed program or right click the and click on the all apps button and then manually pin the new program to start if needed

Windows RT 8.1 includes a desktop mode so now you have yet another version of Windows 8 in the mix even after MS swore they were going to simply OS versions with Windows 8. Now you have 8 RT (Walled) Windows 8.1 RT with Desktop, Windows 8 Standard and Windows 8 Pro. Why not just drop the RT designation completely instead of trying to further confuse already confused consumers?

Except that by then Apple and Android will have 100x the number of apps that Win 8 does.

StevenColorado said:   bugsie said:   Slider said:   These are the prices after the cut? Ouch.

Except that by then Apple and Android will have 100x the number of apps that Win 8 does.

Exactly even though they take 1 step in the right direction, they are still 5 steps behinds and are too $fat$ to run. Baller... I mean ... Balmer needs to get out!

Until Balmer gets a toupe, I'm out!

StevenColorado said:   

Metro may lag in app number, but a full windows 8 will actually easily best Apple in possible applications.
The Surface Pro is a full computer running full Intel Windows 8, running pretty much all legacy apps from the windows platform (in "desktop mode").
Sure, most are not designed for touch input, but they will still work.

Windows RT is another matter, as only Metro Apps work on it.

And about the price of surface pro, this is the intel tax. Intel Core processors are massively more expensive than Arm ones (while being also massively more powerful).

I still don't understand the opposition to installing Start8. For almost two decades we have been installing video players, PDF viewers, anti-virus, virtual drives, compression engines, web browsers, and who knows what else in order to customize and complete our various iterations of Windows. All of a sudden the idea of adding a third party program to enable functionality that wasn't included out of the box is impossible. Why?

I'm not saying Windows 8 is perfect. It's not. But I've never had a version of Windows that was perfect. I actually do prefer Windows 7 on a laptop. But it is a close call. On a tablet Windows 8 is head and shoulders better than any previous version. And this thread is about a tablet. One that is very nice except for the battery life.

Frenchy2k1 said:   StevenColorado said:   

Metro may lag in app number, but a full windows 8 will actually easily best Apple in possible applications.
The Surface Pro is a full computer running full Intel Windows 8, running pretty much all legacy apps from the windows platform (in "desktop mode").

And about the price of surface pro, this is the intel tax. Intel Core processors are massively more expensive than Arm ones (while being also massively more powerful).

Yeah, but too bad Microsoft crippled their flagship software for a tablet.....

QuadesFather said:   I still don't understand the opposition to installing Start8. For almost two decades we have been installing video players, PDF viewers, anti-virus, virtual drives, compression engines, web browsers, and who knows what else in order to customize and complete our various iterations of Windows. All of a sudden the idea of adding a third party program to enable functionality that wasn't included out of the box is impossible. Why?

I'm not saying Windows 8 is perfect. It's not. But I've never had a version of Windows that was perfect. I actually do prefer Windows 7 on a laptop. But it is a close call. On a tablet Windows 8 is head and shoulders better than any previous version. And this thread is about a tablet. One that is very nice except for the battery life.

You pretty much answered your own question. Well done!

I'm done with the topic as it seems to have devolved from a discussion about the Surface Pro into pure Win8 hate. But I do find it amusing that you have refused to answer my question repeatedly. Why not just install Start8 and customize your experience? Well played! You should consider a career in politics. You understand sticking to the talking points no matter what!

QuadesFather said:   I'm done with the topic as it seems to have devolved from a discussion about the Surface Pro into pure Win8 hate. But I do find it amusing that you have refused to answer my question repeatedly. Why not just install Start8 and customize your experience? Well played! You should consider a career in politics. You understand sticking to the talking points no matter what!

You devolved it with your praise and everyone's "Knee jerk hate" comment..

but, besides odd comments and "just install" software to make it better... what were your questions?

Oh, and I am not the one causing this or win8 to fail.... it's the majority.... challenge that!

Bye

There so many reasons why people hated Win8.
1. If it ain't broken don't fix it. Win7 is awesome.
2. Why pay 100 - 200 (now) to upgrade when your Win7 is working fine.
3. The start button for easy access to your programs. Not there!
4. New and learning curve for normal people with new OS. Im tech savvy myself and it took a little while to learn and get use to it.
5. Touch screen is useless for desktop (mouse). I understand for phone/tablet/laptop.
6. No significant upgrade from Win7, just the app market. Following the next line
7. Apple and Android people spend enough money on their apps and devices for them to make it a pain in rear end for them to switch to Win8. They will have to repurchase the same apps.

Dell Outlet is selling Windows 8 Pro(not RT) tablets with 64GB storage and stylus for $299. The price is much more reasonable than the Surface Pro.

i really hope you're not comparing this to android tablets and ipads. this is a full-fledged i5-powered convertible tablet with a 1080p screen. it's closest competitor is the acer w700-6499 and it was the same price as the 128gb surface pro before this price drop. everything below this price range is powered by intel atoms. it is definitely not $300 overpriced.

View said:   Dell Outlet is selling Windows 8 Pro(not RT) tablets with 64GB storage and stylus for $299. The price is much more reasonable than the Surface Pro.
reasonable if all you're going to do is surf the web

Frenchy2k1 said:   

stop making sense!

Windows 8 boot time is very fast, compared to 7. It was very easy to learn. How hard is it to move your mouse pointer to the corner, click settings, power and shutdown. I installed windows live mail 2012. And downloaded the 8.1 preview with a start button. I love it.

Skipping 42 Messages...
Definitely appreciate WINDOWS 8 speed....Seven was very slowwwwwwww....

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014