• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Freedompop announced a new LTE device today, with the usual plans,
incl. a $500GB free plan.

http://www.freedompop.com/LTEhotspot

Now, with any negative replies, please point out what better deals you are using.

I have been using Freedompop successfully for quite some time.

Member Summary

Freedom spot mifi 5580 lte
Thanks VBMcGB
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
@bostonone

We really do not have an estimate at this time. Right now we're taking names. When we have more info, we'll se... (more)

FreedomPop (Aug. 13, 2013 @ 2:28p) |

Great. Thanks so much.

BostonOne (Aug. 13, 2013 @ 6:31p) |

You're welcome. We just wish we could give you something a little more tangible, but if you're just worried about the sw... (more)

FreedomPop (Aug. 13, 2013 @ 6:39p) |

500MB for free. 2GB for $20/mo

Premium 2GB
(4G/3G)
$19.99/month100% FREE (for the first month)

4X the FREE data
2 GB free 1st month.
Limited Time Only!
Great for emailing Facebook and photos.
Extra data $0.015 / MB

Pro 500MB
(4G/3G)
$3.99/month100% FREE (for the first month)
Includes Nationwide 3G Roaming
500 MB free 1st month.
Great for web browsing and checking email
Extra data $0.02 / MB

Basic 500MB
(4G Only)
$0
500 MB per month free.
Great for Facebook and email.
Extra data $0.02 / MB
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I got nothing bad to say about FP - since I'm still waiting on my device to arrive - but the price of that device is 7 times what I paid for my 3G/4G device - is the LTE using the same Sprint networks??? I have no Sprint 4G service in my area so if this uses something different, then I may have to suck it up and get one!

It is using the Sprint network, but I don't really know
about the coverage of LTE vs 4G, etc.

Delivery can take a long time, but the devices will arrive eventually.

i don't see any mention of upgrading the photon for this lte device. hopefully they will allow it.

just keep your Photon and get an additional device.

get an extra 500GB that way,
even that way it's still the best deal in town.

hi all. this is the first i have heard of it. Sounds economical, and for now too good to be true. Can this replace my existing xfinitiy service. I just sold my first born to pay for this month's service .

It depends how much data you use.

How about getting a device and run parallel for a month
or two to see if it is sufficient. If you have coverage
it might just work out OK.

Sure. If you are only using 500mb per month... I am pulling 30gb+ over my cell, so I will pass.

wizardking said:   Sure. If you are only using 500mb per month... I am pulling 30gb+ over my cell, so I will pass.

You must not be an LTE user of Sprint in Philly. LTE is a joke here with speeds topping out at 270kbps.

You should go to Sprint.com/coverage and see which network is best for you.

WiMAX devices have more coverage currently, but LTE is Sprint's next-generation network that Sprint and Clearwire (now part of Sprint) will move to.

So, WiMAX Freedompop may be better for you even though WiMAX is the betamax of this generation... it has better coverage, and possibly more capacity today.

If both WiMAX and LTE are in your area, I would try the LTE unit first, and then the WiMAX one if you're getting bad capacity like the user above.

Talki said:   Freedompop announced a new LTE device today, with the usual plans,
incl. a $500GB free plan.
$500GB??!! Thatt's a lot of free dollar-gigabyte j/k.

I love freedom pop, except for the spotty coverage of WiMAX on certain stretches of my train commute. I'd be interesting in finding a coverage map of the LTE. I assume this LTE device will be LTE only, and not 3G/LTE or WiMax/LTE.

had a really hard time getting them to refund my deposit. It was extremely difficult to get someone to answer your phone call.

I have really missed the boat on info regarding Freedompop . Sprint coverage is 3G at home, but out and about it's LTE. Speed is not the issue for me as I would only use this with a tablet a handful of times for info, not streaming.. i'll repeat...SPEED IS NOT an issue.

Anyway... Do I have to watch ads with this service or something? If I chose the cheapest package(or any package) am I forced into watching ads, do offers, or anything like that? the second frustrating thing is that EVERY time I log in, the costs change in some way... I see they try to upsell a lot.

Do they even offer 3G, because their coverage map say 4G only?

I was looking at the Freedom Spot - 4G/3G MiFi device

Thanks.

ZombieHunter said:   I have really missed the boat on info regarding Freedompop . Sprint coverage is 3G at home, but out and about it's LTE. Speed is not the issue for me as I would only use this with a tablet a handful of times for info, not streaming.. i'll repeat...SPEED IS NOT an issue.

Anyway... Do I have to watch ads with this service or something? If I chose the cheapest package(or any package) am I forced into watching ads, do offers, or anything like that? the second frustrating thing is that EVERY time I log in, the costs change in some way... I see they try to upsell a lot.

Thanks.

The 4G map you're seeing is for the WiMax coverage only. The 3G coverage is the same as Sprint's 3G coverage. You don't have to watch ads or do anything else to use the service - even the $3.99 500MB plan. The only "catch" with the $3.99 plan, you must use at least 5MB of your 500 MB each month, or you will be charged a 99-cent maintenance fee. The device will show the amount used each time you use it. The Freedompop account page will show how much you've used each time you log on. There are numerous ways to get additional "free" MBs. For an additional $3.99 per month, you can roll over unused MBs to the next month.

No Ads! Straight-forward browsing on tablets, notebooks,
Smartphones (WiFi), etc. Especially helpful away from home
on train, bus. etc.

Not suggested for media consumption, but fatwallet, email,
mapping and similar stuff easily fits within the totally
free 400-500GB/month.

Tech support can be a bit tedious, but for steady
low data usage it just works and no issues and no support is needed.

jhburgess said:   The only "catch" with the $3.99 plan, you must use at least 5MB of your 500 MB each month, or you will be charged a 99-cent maintenance fee.
Users are no longer charged a $0.99 hidden fee for every month that they do not consume any data

jhburgess said:   ZombieHunter said:   I have really missed the boat on info regarding Freedompop . Sprint coverage is 3G at home, but out and about it's LTE. Speed is not the issue for me as I would only use this with a tablet a handful of times for info, not streaming.. i'll repeat...SPEED IS NOT an issue.

Thanks.

The 4G map you're seeing is for the WiMax coverage only. The 3G coverage is the same as Sprint's 3G coverage. You don't have to watch ads or do anything else to use the service - even the $3.99 500MB plan. The only "catch" with the $3.99 plan, you must use at least 5MB of your 500 MB each month, or you will be charged a 99-cent maintenance fee. The device will show the amount used each time you use it. The Freedompop account page will show how much you've used each time you log on. There are numerous ways to get additional "free" MBs. For an additional $3.99 per month, you can roll over unused MBs to the next month.

Thank you sooo much for replying, that sounds like everything I needed to know. I never heard of the 5mb fee either, so that would have to be a monthly routine, which is probably just a good idea anyway to run a check on the device and account. In the past, i used the old Virgin mifi2200 with a tablet and rarely broke 200mb, so 500 will be perfect. I thank you!

That's too bad, actually from a business sense,
that they don't charge the $0.99 anymore.
You all know the story about the goose with the golden eggs.

If you would be owning the Freedompop service would you
just want to have people put the devices in a drawer
and forget about them? $0.99 is so nominal what else does
one get for $12/year?

Hope the goose will survive for many years,
so we get to enjoy those golden eggs for a long time to come.

I'm bad at math. How much would it cost me if I use 10 gb a month?

ok, thanks. $42 shipped.... but still no email and never created a password, but it brought me to an account page. I logged out and now can't get back in....

scammy feeling
Disclaimer
What's the catch? How are people getting $42 shipped?

Let me guess, canceling and going to the free 500mb plan is impossibru, right?

I suspect that's for the WiMAX hotspot, all three plans show $169 out the door for me on the MiFi 5580 LTE hotspot.

lilstabber said:   I'm bad at math. How much would it cost me if I use 10 gb a month?
If I understand the numbers it would be
$28.99 per month for 4 gb
$61.44 per month for 6 gigs extra
$90.43
If your usage is that high, get millinacom
69.99 for either 20 gb on a mifi or "unlimited" on a usb stick
http://millenicom.com/plans

coolbreeze said:   What's the catch? How are people getting $42 shipped?

Let me guess, canceling and going to the free 500mb plan is impossibru, right?

No. Just downgrade before the end of your free month. The downgrade will be effective immediately, so you will lose any remaining MBs in the free month.

kassaal said:   jhburgess said:   The only "catch" with the $3.99 plan, you must use at least 5MB of your 500 MB each month, or you will be charged a 99-cent maintenance fee.
Users are no longer charged a $0.99 hidden fee for every month that they do not consume any data

That's true for the $3.99 plan. For the free 500MB 4G plans:
"If you choose the free Broadband Service and use less than 5mb in any given month, we'll charge you a $.99 Active Status fee to keep your account active. For your convenience, we will automatically deduct the Active Status fee from your Freedompop Account balance in each month your Broadband Service usage is under 5mb to ensure no disruption of the Broadband Service and Value Added Services."

jhburgess said:   kassaal said:   jhburgess said:   The only "catch" with the $3.99 plan, you must use at least 5MB of your 500 MB each month, or you will be charged a 99-cent maintenance fee.

That's true for the $3.99 plan. For the free 500MB 4G plans:
"If you choose the free Broadband Service and use less than 5mb in any given month, we'll charge you a $.99 Active Status fee to keep your account active. For your convenience, we will automatically deduct the Active Status fee from your Freedompop Account balance in each month your Broadband Service usage is under 5mb to ensure no disruption of the Broadband Service and Value Added Services."

That may be in their terms but as an account holder I can confirm that they stopped charging that fee a few months ago.

I've been a Freedompop user for almost a year. Living in a market with plenty of WiMax coverage, the service is great. 500MB is ideal for my needs - occasional waiting room use of my wifi tablets.

I got their home router for my parents (they live in an area with good WiMax coverage). Even though I got them the top-end plan ($19 a month, up to 10GB), it's still at least $10 cheaper than any of the landline options, and notably faster (not that they really need the speed, or anything like 10GB).

The targeted offer that I received is for the MiFi 4082 hotspot for $34.99, with "2GB of 100% Free Wireless Internet ($19.99 value)"

It says 2GB of data, not 2GB per month. Makes me wonder...

I'm quite sure its for the 1st month,
then just before the month end
you chose a plan that is most suitable
for your data use.

Remember ... no movies on a limited data plan

Quick note to those ordering:

Freedompop Website said: Your subscription begins when you click Activate. Cancel service by contacting support. By clicking Activate, you authorize Freedompop to charge the Monthly Total provided above at the beginning of each subscription period. You can change your plan at anytime. See Terms of Use for subscription details.

If it takes 2-3 weeks to get the thing, you're basically paying the first month for nothing...

EDIT - that is, if you get a paid plan. But this pretty much negates the "free" first month of the 2GB plan...

Hey Guys, happy to answer any questions you might have. This device that @Talki has posted is compatible with 4G LTE and 3G. It's referred to as the Freedom Spot Mifi 5580 LTE hotspot, which can be easily confused with a similar Mifi Hotspot 4082 that we also offer that is much cheaper but only 4G WiMAX and 3G compatible. Hope that clears some confusion up.

One data point, I am an extremely heavy Sprint data user with both WiMax and LTE devices who travels extensively. From my experience, the LTE is still just doing baby steps, In three cities, it's been amazing, 20 mbit+ and strong connections. Other cities like Anaheim, San Diego, etc. the LTE is a joke with spotty connections to my Galaxy S4, slow speeds, etc. I've been better off just turning my phone to 3G only in those markets.

WiMax is an all or nothing, been out longer so there is more availability and generally solid speeds. The downside to WiMax is that it loses connection any time you go from tower to tower, so it's barely usable when moving. LTE doesn't have this problem.

Overall, I would stick to WiMax unless you're one of the few lucky towns who has a great LTE connection.

TheKricket said:   Quick note to those ordering:

Freedompop Website said: Your subscription begins when you click Activate. Cancel service by contacting support. By clicking Activate, you authorize Freedompop to charge the Monthly Total provided above at the beginning of each subscription period. You can change your plan at anytime. See Terms of Use for subscription details.

If it takes 2-3 weeks to get the thing, you're basically paying the first month for nothing...

EDIT - that is, if you get a paid plan. But this pretty much negates the "free" first month of the 2GB plan...

Your credit card is charged right away, but the clock does not start until the device is shipped.

Dang, no coverage in San Diego. At all.

[Edit] After further research it appears San Diego Spring LTE will be going live sometime later this year or early next year, with some spots being live already. Woo. Hoo?

Freedompop said:   Hey Guys, happy to answer any questions you might have. This device that @Talki has posted is compatible with 4G LTE and 3G. It's referred to as the Freedom Spot Mifi 5580 LTE hotspot, which can be easily confused with a similar Mifi Hotspot 4082 that we also offer that is much cheaper but only 4G WiMAX and 3G compatible. Hope that clears some confusion up.
Freedompop - there was a several month backlog of the 4g/3g device. Is that going to be true for the LTE modem as well or can we expect a quick turnaround if we request a device swap?

At this time, we are collecting names for users who are interested in a swap for LTE device. To get on that list, you'll have to contact customer support with your account information. However, the exact details on how it's going to work is still being determined. The delay on this has nothing to do with backlog of other devices.

would we get a static ip address or dynamic?

Freedompop said:   At this time, we are collecting names for users who are interested in a swap for LTE device. To get on that list, you'll have to contact customer support with your account information. However, the exact details on how it's going to work is still being determined. The delay on this has nothing to do with backlog of other devices.
I contacted support on 8/6 about a swap and still haven't heard back at all.

Freedompop knew in advance that existing users would want to upgrade. It's hard to believe they didn't have a plan in place at the time of launch. Based on the way the iPhone sleeve and then the 4G/3G hotspot launch were handled, this doesn't surprise me.

Skipping 13 Messages...
BostonOne said:   Freedompop said:   @bostonone

We really do not have an estimate at this time. Right now we're taking names. When we have more info, we'll send you an email that will have a time frame attached.

If you have a photon on deposit that's confirmed with our records, then as long as the swap is initiated/ requested before the end of your deposit timeline, then you'll be able to swap.

Great. Thanks so much.

You're welcome. We just wish we could give you something a little more tangible, but if you're just worried about the swap happening after your deposit timeline is ending, then you should be okay. Hopefully, it helps. Have a good one!

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014