• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Saw these today at lunch (Monday is generally electronics mark-down day). Reg $500, half off, so $250. Black, comes with the 18-55MM lens which is a good overall lens it seems.

So it will not compete with a $1200 NIKON/Canon, and it has this Sony E-mount system which is limiting. I would say if you are looking for a true enthusiast camera where you are going to have a lot of lens choices, not for you. Likewise, if you are happy with the pictures your smartphone takes, not for you either. Sony has apparently discontinued this as well. And from what I can tell, it is an ultimately 3 year old design (confusing if you look around the web for pricing and reviews; I guess the base is the Sony Nex 3, but you will see references to Nex 3N, etc. I think that is just variations on what lens it ships with, and not necessarily the camera itself being different).

Still, if you look at reviews, the write-ups on it are very favorable...particularly when you consider that they were doing so in the context of it being a $500 camera without this lens (which is another $200 or so) and they were comparing it to camera in the $800 range. I think it is for folks who want to take a step beyond the quality they get with a basic point and shoot but are not avid enough to want to walk around with $3K in cameras and lenses.

As a comparison, Tiger Direct has these (refurbed) for $470, so $250 for a new one is a good deal. The one at target also comes with the apparent optional external flash (don't worry, it still has a built in one) that is apparently a $120 accessory at the Sony store.

So if my math is good, you are in actuality getting about a $450 camera + $200 lens + $100 external flash so $750 for $250?

And you can also get the extended warranty through Target and make out as well too. Since the price of the warranty is a function of the price, you get a warranty on a $500 camera for a $250 camera price (so I think 2 years was like $34).

Encourage you to do your own research as how Sony handles their branding is really confusing. Looks like maybe at some point the camera came with a 14.2 MP sensor, but I know mine said it was 16 something. When I get home tonight going to do a further interrogation of the box/numbering to figure out specifically what we have here.

Update: Went out to my car and looked, it was 14mp. But if you go on the Sony site, you can find this camera, with allegedly the exact same image processor, and they are saying it is 16mp..so who knows....the MP specs/wars thing is over-rated in my opinion anyways (I often dial it back from the max...it makes is seem like my camera takes faster pictures doing this, makes for a smaller file size, but the quality is still plenty good enough to do cropping/display on a large monitor if you want to).

Member Summary

Sony Nex 3 K kit
Thanks VBMcGB
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
I got the nex 3 for $107....open item at target..... I suggestsome of you return back to target to check for returns

trooper1414 (Sep. 06, 2013 @ 2:35a) |

Sorry if this is an already answered question.  Am I correct in thinking that not all Targets mark down on the same sche... (more)

sara85 (Sep. 06, 2013 @ 1:43p) |

As from a quick conversation with my Target ...they said when it comes to clearance all Targets have a different mark do... (more)

trooper1414 (Sep. 06, 2013 @ 4:04p) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
    • Manufacturer › Sony
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

good price

Saw this @ a local target
infact there were 4 of them last week, but since I've been fortunate in getting some hot deals @ Target lately, I would like to see the price go down b4 I budge
OP thanks for sharing

For about the cost of a tank of gas more, you can get the Canon EOS M, which is also on clearance at many places.

EOS M is much better than this Sony in many ways.

funkmasterta said:   For about the cost of a tank of gas more, you can get the Canon EOS M, which is also on clearance at many places.

EOS M is much better than this Sony in many ways. For one, it uses a full size DSLR image sensor, so the picture quality is outstanding.

I'm not so sure....I'm no camera geek, but from what I have read that Exmor CMOS in the Sony is an equivilant senor (APC-S...whatever the heck that means). The reviewer folks were very excited about it.

And from what I can tell...that Canon (even on clearance) still runs about $100 more, and that is without the external flash option.

So you have to draw the line somewhere...for $250, this is the best I have seen. For $350, probably that Canon. But for ANOTHER tank of gas you can go with the Panasonic G5 which is better still..and then for ANOTHER tank of gas etc, etc.

you must have a car with a very big fuel tank because at $3.50 a gallon we are talking a 30 gallon tank here to cover the difference)

Not saying at $350 the Canon not a good deal...but this is a $250 deal....

thedbn said:   Saw this @ a local target
infact there were 4 of them last week, but since I've been fortunate in getting some hot deals @ Target lately, I would like to see the price go down b4 I budge
OP thanks for sharing

Yeah, holding out for 75% off would be extremely awesome for this camera...but would be amazed if they make it that far...

2010 era camera. 14MP only (eg. even their P&S do 18MP nowadays). Big sensor size good for low light and quality day images vs most P&S cameras at same price range. NO 1080 video, only 720 - decent, but not as crisp as you can get nowadays with 1080 cameras.

Think of this as a great deal for a photo camera 1st for travel, baby, etc. that has an ok video mode.

Biggest downside otherwise? AF speeds on modern mirrorless cameras, eg. Panasonic GF6, are far, far faster.

Camera
Disclaimer
adorable said:   

Biggest downside otherwise? AF speeds on modern mirrorless cameras, eg. Panasonic GF6, are far, far faster.

Again, not my intent to compare this to a $600 camera....this is a $250 deal....

Just like I would not compare a Kia to an Acura...some folks can only afford/only choose to spend X amount on something and so you have to do an apples/apples compare based upon cost (e.g. Kia to a Hyundai).

OP says E-Mount is limiting. How naive ...

adorable said:   2010 era camera. 14MP only (eg. even their P&S do 18MP nowadays). Big sensor size good for low light and quality day images vs most P&S cameras at same price range. NO 1080 video, only 720 - decent, but not as crisp as you can get nowadays with 1080 cameras.

Think of this as a great deal for a photo camera 1st for travel, baby, etc. that has an ok video mode.

Still talking about megepixels? Hopefully you don't buy your computer based on GHz. Would like to know what alternative you propose at this same price.

SKU on your receipt would be greatly appreciated.

gmangut said:   SKU on your receipt would be greatly appreciated.

doofus said:   gmangut said:   SKU on your receipt would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! DCPI code but able to get Online ITEM ID 13096774
Seems it has gone on sale up to 70% off with people being able to get it for $149

TowHead said:   OP says E-Mount is limiting. How naive ...

Can you expand upon that remark? Thanks!

gmangut said:   doofus said:   gmangut said:   SKU on your receipt would be greatly appreciated.

Seems it has gone on sale up to 75% off with people being able to get it for $149

Think that would be 70%...but not that I am going to argue if I find it at that price!

Time to troll the other Target on my way home...

doofus said:   
Update: Went out to my car and looked, it was 14mp. But if you go on the Sony site, you can find this camera, with allegedly the exact same image processor, and they are saying it is 16mp..so who knows....the MP specs/wars thing is over-rated in my opinion anyways (I often dial it back from the max...it makes is seem like my camera takes faster pictures doing this, makes for a smaller file size, but the quality is still plenty good enough to do cropping/display on a large monitor if you want to).

It sounded like you bought the original 2010 NEX-3 which is 14.2 MP. All the rest are 16MP: The 2011 model is NEX-C3. The 2012 model is NEX-F3. The 2013 model is NEX-3N.

The F3 was going for $299 from time to time. The 3N was recently going for ~$350.

doofus said:   gmangut said:   doofus said:   gmangut said:   SKU on your receipt would be greatly appreciated.

Seems it has gone on sale up to 75% off with people being able to get it for $149

Think that would be 70%...but not that I am going to argue if I find it at that price!

Time to troll the other Target on my way home...

Didn't really do the math lol but yea I read in SD forum that they have been on sale for a while... actually since 2011 FYI DFW stores only one left in Love Field Location and its $349.98 -_-

Can you provide the UPC, thank You!

HempCures said:   Can you provide the UPC, thank You!

http://www.target.com/p/sony-alpha-nex3k-b-14-2mp-camera-with-di...

If this helps any.

can someone confirm is this is still available ..i would be relaly interested ...but i would be stuck at work till end of day and i coudlnt find it on the website ..thanks in advance

sethirahat said:   can someone confirm is this is still available ..i would be relaly interested ...but i would be stuck at work till end of day and i coudlnt find it on the website ..thanks in advance

http://checkinvt2.appspot.com/
Use item number
put in your zipcode and hope they have the same percentage off as other stores at your nearby

thats the item online http://www.target.com/p/sony-alpha-nex3k-b-14-2mp-camera-with-di...

doofus said:   funkmasterta said:   For about the cost of a tank of gas more, you can get the Canon EOS M, which is also on clearance at many places.

EOS M is much better than this Sony in many ways. For one, it uses a full size DSLR image sensor, so the picture quality is outstanding.

I'm not so sure....I'm no camera geek, but from what I have read that Exmor CMOS in the Sony is an equivilant senor (APC-S...whatever the heck that means). The reviewer folks were very excited about it.

And from what I can tell...that Canon (even on clearance) still runs about $100 more, and that is without the external flash option.

So you have to draw the line somewhere...for $250, this is the best I have seen. For $350, probably that Canon. But for ANOTHER tank of gas you can go with the Panasonic G5 which is better still..and then for ANOTHER tank of gas etc, etc.

you must have a car with a very big fuel tank because at $3.50 a gallon we are talking a 30 gallon tank here to cover the difference)

Not saying at $350 the Canon not a good deal...but this is a $250 deal....

The EOS M has the same 18MP sensor found in the 7D, far better than the entry level NEX. Build quality is vastly superior. The NEX cameras have a very plasticky feel. The EOS M 22mm kit (better lens than 18-55) is still $299 at some places, rather than $350.

jasonh328 said:   The EOS M has the same 18MP sensor found in the 7D, far better than the entry level NEX. Build quality is vastly superior. The NEX cameras have a very plasticky feel. The EOS M 22mm kit (better lens than 18-55) is still $299 at some places, rather than $350.

The EOS-M is a superior camera because it is 2 generations ahead of the NEX-3, not to mention 1 tier above. The NEX-3 is an aging dinosaur that was introduced with the first wave of E-Mount cameras. It contains an APS-C sized sensor, but the sensor tech and image processing will lag the EOS-M.

That said, if you can get it for $149, I don't think anyone can dispute that it is a great deal...

Also, when you refer to *NEX cameras*, keep in mind you are referring to the family of cameras that includes the NEX-6 and NEX-7, each of which is miles ahead of the EOS-M in terms of build quality.

unlockedshaders said:   jasonh328 said:   The EOS M has the same 18MP sensor found in the 7D, far better than the entry level NEX. Build quality is vastly superior. The NEX cameras have a very plasticky feel. The EOS M 22mm kit (better lens than 18-55) is still $299 at some places, rather than $350.

The EOS-M is a superior camera because it is 2 generations ahead of the NEX-3, not to mention 1 tier above. The NEX-3 is an aging dinosaur that was introduced with the first wave of E-Mount cameras. It contains an APS-C sized sensor, but the sensor tech and image processing will lag the EOS-M.

That said, if you can get it for $149, I don't think anyone can dispute that it is a great deal...

Also, when you refer to *NEX cameras*, keep in mind you are referring to the family of cameras that includes the NEX-6 and NEX-7, each of which is miles ahead of the EOS-M in terms of build quality.

The NEX-6/7 have comparably solid, but not superior, build. The NEX-3/5 have Fisher-Price build quality.

Please provide a link to where you found proof of this "miles ahead of the EOS-M in terms of build quality". I suspect this is something you decided with no supporting evidence.

The EOS M is built to a similar standard as other Canon cameras, which is to say it is quite solid.

Yeah, I am still not convinced that the eos m is better.
-ok, it is newer, but reviews and compares I have read give image edge to the Sony,particularly when incomes to dynamic range and low light
-the "better" 22mm lens is not even image stabilized;the lens in this Sony kit is
-the canon better at video, 1080p vs 720p

It still looks like to me if you consider the primary purpose of a camera (clear photos) Sony wins...

$300 eos m (which I am not finding) vs $250 Sony....you can argue but I give edge to Sony (am more interested in superior pictures than superior video)
$350 eos m vs $250 Sony...Sony wins pretty easy (did I mention that for $100 less you image stabilization,better dynamic range, and the optional external flash which can every useful, especially for portraits? Low light appears to be superior too)
$350 (or even $300) eos m vs $150 Sony...not even close

I will say good luck finding these though. Odd because the target I hit at lunch had 4 on the shelf and the guy said the had more in the back. They had a nex3 on display with a bundle of this and some other lens for $600 (think they were calling that a 3n).Then I hit another target, none of these in inventory but had the same display bundle as the first store but they had it listed for $500. I did a inventory check of all Houston targets on the 3k bundle and most stores said out but a few were showing low inventory. So my sort of conclusion on this is that the 3n is the latest bundle and that is why it is more readily available and not clearanced yet, while this 3k bundle must have been the bundle before and that's why availability is spotty and it is being clearanced.

So the folks hashing the build quality of the nex 3 are being silly to say it is like a toy....make your own conclusion and head to target and hold one. And for the record, I love canons (have an old g9 that has been a star for me). Some canons are good, bu they make dreck too (sx series).

And to me, the eos m gets worse the more I read. No built in flash? Really? So add another $100 to the cost and know that anytime you want to snap any sort of indoor picture, you have to fumble for your external flash and mount it. Fail for me....

doofus said:   Yeah, I am still not convinced that the eos m is better.
-ok, it is newer, but reviews and compares I have read give image edge to the Sony,particularly when incomes to dynamic range and low light
-the "better" 22mm lens is not even image stabilized;the lens in this Sony kit is
-the canon better at video, 1080p vs 720p

It still looks like to me if you consider the primary purpose of a camera (clear photos) Sony wins...

$300 eos m (which I am not finding) vs $250 Sony....you can argue but I give edge to Sony (am more interested in superior pictures than superior video)
$350 eos m vs $250 Sony...Sony wins pretty easy (did I mention that for $100 less you image stabilization,better dynamic range, and the optional external flash which can every useful, especially for portraits? Low light appears to be superior too)
$350 (or even $300) eos m vs $150 Sony...not even close

I will say good luck finding these though. Odd because the target I hit at lunch had 4 on the shelf and the guy said the had more in the back. They had a nex3 on display with a bundle of this and some other lens for $600 (think they were calling that a 3n).Then I hit another target, none of these in inventory but had the same display bundle as the first store but they had it listed for $500. I did a inventory check of all Houston targets on the 3k bundle and most stores said out but a few were showing low inventory. So my sort of conclusion on this is that the 3n is the latest bundle and that is why it is more readily available and not clearanced yet, while this 3k bundle must have been the bundle before and that's why availability is spotty and it is being clearanced.

A 22mm (extremely short focal length) prime does not need IS, an 18-55 tele-zoom does. Sony's short PRIME lenses do not have IS, either. Do you know anything about photography?

The Canon sensor/Digic processor combo is better in both low light and dynamic range, not sure where you might have read otherwise. As stated earlier, the EOS M has the same internals as the awesome Canon 7D ( I have both, IQ is nearly identical ). Even with the best native NEX lenses made (Zeiss primes - widely accepted as the best and also don't have IS), the NEX-3 can't win on IQ against the EOS M /22mm prime. I know because I've used them both.

Honestly, neither of these cameras are a good choice for video and on-camera flash is all but worthless for most applications. Those, frankly, are very silly arguments.

The EOS M has been 299.00 from Amazon, Adorama, Fry's, B&H, and others within the last few weeks. Try using the search function.

gmangut said:   sethirahat said:   can someone confirm is this is still available ..i would be relaly interested ...but i would be stuck at work till end of day and i coudlnt find it on the website ..thanks in advance

http://checkinvt2.appspot.com/
Use item number
put in your zipcode and hope they have the same percentage off as other stores at your nearby

thats the item online http://www.target.com/p/sony-alpha-nex3k-b-14-2mp-camera-with-di...

So i found a store where it is in stock ...but the pricing on the link above is $499 ...is there anything i am missing ??

sethirahat said:   

So i found a store where it is in stock ...but the pricing on the link above is $499 ...is there anything i am missing ??

The clearance pricing is in-store only.

so maybe i can call in tomorrow to check for the clearance price ?? Is that what all of you did ??

trooper1414 said:   so maybe i can call in tomorrow to check for the clearance price ?? Is that what all of you did ??

NO!!! do not call. Just show up and check the electronic section. There's usually a clearance area there (usually @ the end of an aisle)

thanks for the info. It seems most stores do not have it... nice find...

Sony1
Disclaimer

Sony2
Disclaimer

Sony3
Disclaimer
I did take some photos when I was @ the Target store last week

kickerstarter said:   doofus said:   

It sounded like you bought the original 2010 NEX-3 which is 14.2 MP. All the rest are 16MP: The 2011 model is NEX-C3. The 2012 model is NEX-F3. The 2013 model is NEX-3N.

The F3 was going for $299 from time to time. The 3N was recently going for ~$350.
From the photos, looks like NEX-3 BLACK.

Would you please let me where is the store that have it?

Thanks

Perhaps $50 Off Olympus PEN E-PL3 Black 12.3MP Digital Camera with 14-42mm Lens - $249.99 at Newegg would serve most casual photographers just as well. Specs are slightly less but it has almost all the same capabilities.

Not sure why I continue to indulge obvious Canon fan-boys (like I say...I have a G9 that I have loved, and actually just got a S110 for a pocket cam, so not like I am a hater) but here is a side by side comparison. These guys are saying the dynamic range on the Sony is better, so folks can argue with them. They have the EOS winning, but that is based solely on them loading up the weighting on the movie format and giving them a lot of points because Canon is more popular than Sony (which seems like a strange argument to me if you are evaluating worthiness in terms of intended purpose...I guess a Macdonald's hamburger is considered better than a McCormick and Schmidt steak because more people eat them).

http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-EOS-M-vs-Sony_Alpha_NEX-3/scor...

Like I say, to each their own, but I personally don't value the video that much (and 720p is nothing to scoff at), I bought this thing to take pictures, and really don't care that the other one is more popular than this. I also like having an IS stabilized Zoom lens as opposed to the "better" smaller non-IS lens in terms of overall flexibility (if you want an IS stabilized zoom for your Canon, better find another $200). Also same for the flash...I like having an onboard for convenience, and oh by the way if the argument is that this is worthless and you have to have an external flash, this package comes with the external flash too, whereas you are going to have to pony up another $100 if you buy the M to get one. The panorama function is cool as well, and hey this thing can apparently take 3D pictures too! For $250, I have a quality cam, zoom stabilized lens, external flash (and onboard) which is going to cover 99% of the situations I find myself in. To match this with the EOS M, I would be in the $600 range so for me it is really not an apples to apples compare (If I was going to spend this sort of money, I would get a deal on a Lumix G5 closeout or even that Pentax deal on buydig that is working at the moment).

http://www.adorama.com/IPCDMCG5BKE.html

This is $600...and you get a $100 GC...so it is $500...and this camera slays that EOS M.

But again, this original post here was not for folks that wanted to spend $500+ to get a camera bundle...it was for folks who wanted to spend $250 (and $150 apparently if they get lucky!)

jasonh328 said:   
Honestly, neither of these cameras are a good choice for video and on-camera flash is all but worthless for most applications. Those, frankly, are very silly arguments.

The on-camera flash of my Nikon S9100 is *extremely* good for a point and shoot and provides excellent fill flash too so I don't think that on-board flash is "worthless for most applications". Perhaps on many models the flash is an afterthought, but there are some really decent ones out there. I'm not sure what applications you use your flash for, but I typically use it indoors or for outdoor fill when the contrast of a scene is too great to capture effectively. I've also used it quite effectively for night portraits.

ViveLeRoi said:   jasonh328 said:   

The on-camera flash of my Nikon S9100 is *extremely* good for a point and shoot and provides excellent fill flash too so I don't think that on-board flash is "worthless for most applications". Perhaps on many models the flash is an afterthought, but there are some really decent ones out there. I'm not sure what applications you use your flash for, but I typically use it indoors or for outdoor fill when the contrast of a scene is too great to capture effectively. I've also used it quite effectively for night portraits.

I only use off camera speedlights if I need a flash.

Skipping 23 Messages...
As from a quick conversation with my Target ...they said when it comes to clearance all Targets have a different mark down ...........but you might want to bring this to there attention and maybe they could price match it which i doubt would happen ...but worth a shot ...but yeah different targets have different mark downs on clearance...the one around 40 miles from my place had it for 349 when everyone else had it for 149 /249 .

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.