• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=23500776

price will be $9.99 in cart, use Shoprunner for free 2 day ship.

GNC
See GNC discounts that earn 4.0% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

GNC
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Yes!  We did that the other day and it was very good  I think that's what the theaters used to use back in the day.

Llilith (Sep. 16, 2013 @ 9:31a) |

according to this article, my garden greens organic pure extra virgin coconut oils from GNC are mild coconut aroma and f... (more)

linrick (Sep. 16, 2013 @ 9:40a) |

I got some as well and it has no taste or smell. Smells no different to me than vegetable oil and doesn't really taste. ... (more)

StueyG (Sep. 18, 2013 @ 1:16a) |

15% ShopDiscover Cash Back.
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Nice deal OP! If you don't have ShopRunner, flat rate shipping is $1.

Great price at $0.31/oz. It's been a challenge to find organic coconut oil under $0.35/oz for the past year or so. I wish it were in a glass jar though, since the plastic negates the purpose of organic, especially for liquids.

Great price - thank you!

Thanks I needed that!

What is it used for?

SenthilJ said:   What is it used for?i use coconut oils for all my cookings and homemade sugar scrubs.

Thanks op -- got 2 with $1 flat-rate shipping

SenthilJ said:   What is it used for?

Coconut oil is a super-food, so it really is worth the effort to google it's uses (tomes have been written about it). Besides being a source of healthy cholesterol (yes, cholesterol is necessary for good health, but has to be of high quality and used in moderation), it has a very high heat point so it is one of the best cooking oils since it won't burn easily (which creates toxic compounds). It also is a great moisturizer for skin and hair.

For those that have a Costco membership - Costco has a 54oz pack for $15.99. That's less than $0.30/oz.

use this code ABCART for 15% off.

I recently discovered that Coconut oil is the secret ingredient to make movie theater popcorn at home. Of course you'll need a stovetop popper, but simply use coconut oil and it comes out exactly like movie theater popcorn (I was skeptical until I tried it and I'm a popcorn snob). Get the fine popcorn salt as well for the best experience.

Anyway, that's a good use for coconut oil.

$7.74 shipped after discount from above code

$7.74+0.08 tax shipped with Shoprunner & ABCART promo code

No more $1 shipping

misleading title. product is not organic. see ingredients on label.

Thanks. $6.99 shipped for me. krazyrph said:   use this code ABCART for 15% off.

I should try this stuff. Recently bought Super Seed and Brewers Yeast so now looking for a taste of coconut.
Almost bought this
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003B3OOPA/ but it's .56/ounce but solid feedback.

Coconut oil FTW! Since going paleo I cook exclusively with Kerrygold grass-fed butter, organic coconut oil, and MCT oil (coconut and palm kernel oil that's been processed to separate out everything but the medium-chain triglycerides) and my total cholesterol is down from 300 to just below 100.

Garden Greens is not organic.
Although it is not in glass, Vitacost offers organic coconut oil at 31.5 cents / ounce.
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1292672/

PhattyPatty said:   misleading title. product is not organic. see ingredients on label.you need glasses big time.

Bought 6 lbs worth. I switched from cooking with EVOO to this. DOn't really notice any difference in anything, but I follow the sheep.

I dont have sales tax for some odd reason

i3ighead said:   I dont have sales tax for some odd reasonbecause some states like texas don't charge sales tax on food.

fivetalents said:   SenthilJ said:   What is it used for?

Coconut oil is a super-food, so it really is worth the effort to google it's uses (tomes have been written about it). Besides being a source of healthy cholesterol (yes, cholesterol is necessary for good health, but has to be of high quality and used in moderation), it has a very high heat point so it is one of the best cooking oils since it won't burn easily (which creates toxic compounds). It also is a great moisturizer for skin and hair.

Coconut oil is not derived from animals and therefore contains zero cholesterol.

crhptic said:   fivetalents said:   SenthilJ said:   What is it used for?

Coconut oil is not derived from animals and therefore contains zero cholesterol.

Some plants produce cholesterol like compounds which, along with the saturated fats contained in oils such as coconut oil and palm oil, were incorrectly thought to contribute to heart disease. My point, made poorly in an attempt to be succint, was that the opposite is true... high quality fats can actually help to lower cholesterol and lipid imbalances (e.g., LDL and HDL).

Another great use for coconut oil that I didn't mention to no go too OT is that due to it's antimicrobial properties, it is the preferred oil for use in the ancient Ayurvedic practice of oil pulling. Basically you rinse vigorously with it for 10-20 minutes to remove bacteria, toxins, parasites, viruses, congestion, etc. from your mouth, lymphatic system, an throat. It reduces dental plaque too. Probably TMI but, as I mentioned earlier, there's a ton of info out there about the huge number health benefits of coconut oil.

linrick said:   PhattyPatty said:   misleading title. product is not organic. see ingredients on label.you need glasses big time.

It very well may be organic, however, perhaps it is not certified organic. Notice that every time they use the word "organic" on the label they place a "†" after the statement. They do not use the word organic in the ingredients list. Anyone with product on-hand able to find a definition of the "†" ?

PhattyPatty said:   linrick said:   PhattyPatty said:   misleading title. product is not organic. see ingredients on label.you need glasses big time.

It very well may be organic, however, perhaps it is not certified organic. Notice that every time they use the word "organic" on the label they place a "†" after the statement. They do not use the word organic in the ingredients list. Anyone with product on-hand able to find a definition of the "†" ?
you're reading too much into this oil. it is oil coming from a hard shell nuts that you can't eat the shell at all so i wouldn't worry about it not being organic let alone being "certified" organic.

also, coconut are grown naturally without any constant care in the tropics forever, so organic or not organic doesn't make any difference.

PhattyPatty said:   linrick said:   PhattyPatty said:   misleading title. product is not organic. see ingredients on label.you need glasses big time.

The term "organic" with respect to food items is heavily, and I mean HEAVILY regulated by USDA. I'd be more concerned with the "tasteless and odorless" claim, which to me indicates heavy processing and refining.

Fivetalents said: Some plants produce cholesterol like compounds which, along with the saturated fats contained in oils such as coconut oil and palm oil, were incorrectly thought to contribute to heart disease. My point, made poorly in an attempt to be succint, was that the opposite is true... high quality fats can actually help to lower cholesterol and lipid imbalances (e.g., LDL and HDL). Another great use for coconut oil that I didn't mention to no go too OT is that due to it's antimicrobial properties, it is the preferred oil for use in the ancient Ayurvedic practice of oil pulling. Basically you rinse vigorously with it for 10-20 minutes to remove bacteria, toxins, parasites, viruses, congestion, etc. from your mouth, lymphatic system, an throat. It reduces dental plaque too. Probably TMI but, as I mentioned earlier, there's a ton of info out there about the huge number health benefits of coconut oil.

Okay, you are completely off base here. Plant sterols are in a similar class of chemical compounds to cholesterol, but that means their structure is similar. They aren't believed to contribute to development of CAD. No idea where you got that from You'll actually find them in some fake butter products that are marketed to reduce cholesterol. Cholesterol requires a liver to produce and is a quite complex biochemical process indeed. Plants do not have livers. Coconut oil is still controversial amongst some nutritionists, although I don't really have a problem with it. The majority of coconut oil is 12:0 fatty acid, which has a beneficial impact on serum lipids. In contrast, PALM OIL contains majority 16:0 palmitic acid (40+%), which is believed to have a negative impact on lipids. So the take-away message is coconut oil is liable to be better for you than palm oil. The majority of the "ton of info" you mention is liable to be unreliable, a lot of traditional uses included. But most people have bigger food issues than splitting hairs over what kind of oil they're using to cook their food. You can't expect to tweak one thing and fix everything.

i3ighead said:   Bought 6 lbs worth. I switched from cooking with EVOO to this. DOn't really notice any difference in anything, but I follow the sheep.

It is better for high-heat applications because the smoke point is higher (it is majority saturated fat after all). Olive oil probably has a better fatty acid profile overall, but has a lower smoke point. That said olive is perfectly acceptable for use in sauteing or something like that where cooking temperatures are lower. I would not fry in olive oil.

You cannot expect to have a massive change simply by changing one ingredient in your food prep. A fried pork chop is still a fried pork chop, regardless of whether you use EVOO, coconut oil, or tallow.

madcowdisease said:   i3ighead said:   Bought 6 lbs worth. I switched from cooking with EVOO to this. DOn't really notice any difference in anything, but I follow the sheep.

It is better for high-heat applications because the smoke point is higher (it is majority saturated fat after all). Olive oil probably has a better fatty acid profile overall, but has a lower smoke point. That said olive is perfectly acceptable for use in sauteing or something like that where cooking temperatures are lower. I would not fry in olive oil.

You cannot expect to have a massive change simply by changing one ingredient in your food prep. A fried pork chop is still a fried pork chop, regardless of whether you use EVOO, coconut oil, or tallow.

Yep. Learn how to diet and count your macros. Helped me get to below 10% bodyfat so understanding macros and how much to eat is way more important than eating organic foods in huge amounts and being unhealthy. Most people gripe at using crystal light yet they eat brownies and cake and wonder why they are overweight. Probably the same people bickering over the organic thing.

I wonder if I overdid it with buying 3 jars of this. Maybe I won't like the tasteless taste. I currently use LouAnna from WalMart. This one cook any mo betta?

madcowdisease said:   PhattyPatty said:   linrick said:   PhattyPatty said:   misleading title. product is not organic. see ingredients on label.you need glasses big time.

The term "organic" with respect to food items is heavily, and I mean HEAVILY regulated by USDA. I'd be more concerned with the "tasteless and odorless" claim, which to me indicates heavy processing and refining.

Fivetalents said: Some plants produce cholesterol like compounds which, along with the saturated fats contained in oils such as coconut oil and palm oil, were incorrectly thought to contribute to heart disease. My point, made poorly in an attempt to be succint, was that the opposite is true... high quality fats can actually help to lower cholesterol and lipid imbalances (e.g., LDL and HDL). Another great use for coconut oil that I didn't mention to no go too OT is that due to it's antimicrobial properties, it is the preferred oil for use in the ancient Ayurvedic practice of oil pulling. Basically you rinse vigorously with it for 10-20 minutes to remove bacteria, toxins, parasites, viruses, congestion, etc. from your mouth, lymphatic system, an throat. It reduces dental plaque too. Probably TMI but, as I mentioned earlier, there's a ton of info out there about the huge number health benefits of coconut oil.

Okay, you are completely off base here. Plant sterols are in a similar class of chemical compounds to cholesterol, but that means their structure is similar. They aren't believed to contribute to development of CAD. No idea where you got that from You'll actually find them in some fake butter products that are marketed to reduce cholesterol. Cholesterol requires a liver to produce and is a quite complex biochemical process indeed. Plants do not have livers. Coconut oil is still controversial amongst some nutritionists, although I don't really have a problem with it. The majority of coconut oil is 12:0 fatty acid, which has a beneficial impact on serum lipids. In contrast, PALM OIL contains majority 16:0 palmitic acid (40+%), which is believed to have a negative impact on lipids. So the take-away message is coconut oil is liable to be better for you than palm oil. The majority of the "ton of info" you mention is liable to be unreliable, a lot of traditional uses included. But most people have bigger food issues than splitting hairs over what kind of oil they're using to cook their food. You can't expect to tweak one thing and fix everything.

Most people thinking eating fats is bad when they go and eat everything else. The diet has to viewed as a whole and not separated into its smaller components.

not organic! no thanks!

This is still available at $9.99, and the $1 shipping still applies (or free with Shoprunner).  I ordered a couple more today and haven't been able to find any information about the process they use - I am specifically concerned about whether they use chemicals in their Expeller Pressing process.  I called the company and am waiting for them to get back to me.  This product is new from Garden Greens  - and Garden Greens is made by Windmill Health Products.  I'll post here when I get the answer (if they call me back).

I've been eating pretty good the last few months I've eliminated most processed foods and gotten myself pretty lean and feeling great.  Similar to paleo etc but I'm not being too strict.   After seeing the deal I ordered 10 of them, should be here today.  If anything it looks like a good supplement to take.  I lift weights nearly everyday and my diet is pretty high in fat; but these good fats are thermogenic and do not turn into fat in your body easily.  I got to reading about all of the things the oil is good for; and it does really look like quite the super food.  After getting to reading the dental benfits and things such as cavity reversal; I've got some things to try to improve my dental health now too.  

1001 uses for coconut oil /

http://www.coconutresearchcenter.org/hwnl_9-4.htm 

Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil - 54oz - Swanson Health Products
Disclaimer

Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil - 54oz - Swanson Health Products
Disclaimer
Swanson Vitamins has Certified 100% Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil, 54 oz for $19.99.  Certified Organic by QAI, San Diego, CA 92122

http://http://www.swansonvitamins.com/swanson-organic-certified-organic-extra-virgin-coconut-oil-54-oz-1-53-kilograms-solid-oil 

Fixed link...i hope.

Fallout said:   Swanson Vitamins has Certified 100% Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil, 54 oz for $19.99.  Certified Organic by QAI, San Diego, CA 92122

https://www.swansonvitamins.com/swanson-organic-certified-organic-extra-virgin-coconut-oil-54-oz-1-53-kilograms-solid-oil  

Here's a working link for the Swanson Coconut Oil 

I found this PDF on cooking oils which I think is pretty good it is what got me to check out coconut!

http://www.eatingrules.com/2012/02/cooking-oil-comparison-chart/ 

the PDF link is a few paragrahs down the page

my order for 2 has been delayed and probably will be cancelled. 

We do not have a ship date for the above item(s) at this time. If you would like to wait for the item(s) to ship, there is no need to contact us and we will continue the processing and shipping procedure as soon as possible. Please note your credit card will not be charged for the item(s) until the order is shipped.

To cancel your order, please contact the Customer Service 1.877.GNC.4700 (1.877.462.4700) and we will gladly issue a full refund.

30-Day Policy
If the item(s) above do not ship by 2013-09-20, it/they will automatically be cancelled. Your credit card will not be charged and/or your money will be refunded.

We apologize for any inconvenience.
Best Regards,

Customer Service

Skipping 28 Messages...
I got some as well and it has no taste or smell. Smells no different to me than vegetable oil and doesn't really taste. I have ordered other well known coconut oils and they smell and taste like really good fresh coconuts. Like someone just opened one and made it. Really good stuff. The stuff I got from GNC is nothing like that. It really should not say "No smell or taste" and "Pure Virgin" - as I said those do not go together.

I contacted GNC and they would not give any further info - just said I should ask the company themselves and they are not responsible for products besides their own. I have e-mailed Windmill Vitamins    (the company that makes it) and will let you know. From what I have read online this is not that amazing of a price if it is really refined. And depending on how it is refined it really can be no better than a cheap oil you get anywhere. Refining means high heat, and possibly bleaching/chemicals- which either makes it worse or just not beneficial. I don't see the point of paying for it if it isn't better for you. Like someone said above - I'd just got to Wal-Mart and get Lou-Ann.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014