• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I've been considering getting a Lumia 1020 for its amazing camera (outperforms nearly all P&S, not just phones) and thought I'd share my research. That said, I really have very little experience with cell phones, much less deals on them so go easy.
$249 w/ 2 year contract at Amazon is $50 less than (seemingly) everyone else on contract. But the standard rate plans are pretty high on AT&T so I personally prefer:
$669 + $10 SH at Microsoft Store which is the same price as Amazon and others but comes with a free camera grip. I'm not sure I'd buy the grip for $74 but it's definitely worth the $10 S&H (which may be arguable since the website says everything ships free) for the phone+grip. You can also buy it for $299 at MS and get the free grip (if it's worth $50 to you) and if you activate a 2yr contract in store they're supposed to give you a $10GC. That said, sales tax will kill the in store deal for almost everyone.

From reading online it seems that, for this phone, if you buy it outside of a contract you can get an unlock code from AT&T so you can use cheaper services (for other lumia phones, they've made you wait 6 months). Even if they don't (or those services don't work well), their prepaid plans will come out ahead over buying it on contract. I would love feedback from people who have switched to other services (I'm currently considering tmobile and Straight Talk).

Member Summary

lumia
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

If coverage is important to you then go with contract plans which allow you to roam with AT&T partners.

Also, you can get the phone with the grip at MS Store for $299 (With Contract) which would be a bit cheaper than Amazon. (I think phones are tax "free" in most states since apparently the company selling the equipment is not really Microsoft) (See estimated taxes at checkout)

Factoring the cost of the phone with the Unlimited Voice/Text and 2 GB of Data you get "about":

Prepaid $60/mo
Postpaid ~ $80.25/mo + tax + fees (Deducted difference of retail vs contract price divided by 24 - About $14.75/mo)

Also, you might get a monthly discount for post paid plans through your work or club memberships. (i.e AAA)

Postpaid with estimated 10% discount: ~$70.75 + tax + fees (I have seen discounts up to 25%)

I hope this helps

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014