• Go to page :
  • 12 3 4
  • Text Only
dogmeat said:   
simply2easy said:   The TMobile for 4 lines for 100 is cheaper without the phones but if you add the phones in is it still cheaper? Sprint said that there service is cheaper with the phones added.

I pay about $220.month for my ATT family plan, so every time I see a post like this, I'm interested. You're right, the phones are the big variable. If you already have phones that you can bring to the plan the savings can be big.

But, we have four smart phones and for the most part, they seem to only last two years. So, add the cost of 4 ~$400-500 phones every two years and the cost difference between ATT and T-Mobile starts to get very narrow. When I do the math for us, the savings is only about $15/month and with ATT coverage being much better in my area, I don't see it being worth the change

I'd say if you can get your phones to last 3 years or are happy with less expensive phones, this is the way to go. If not, you might not be saving very much.

I would suggest we goto BestBuy , Sign two year contract & get phones for cheap. Because anyways if you break the contract we have to pay the balance.

So $100 for 4 lines - 10% AAA Disounct - No Activation fee for AAA , Looks like deal to me.  Bestbuy have S2 for $80, S3, $149 , Note 2 for $299 with contract.

i have a prepaid plan with no data.Does anyone know if I can purchase a data block with a prepaid plan?
If not available, this is a sweet deal. Thanks OP, green for you!

DesiVibe said:   I had T-Mobile from 2003 to 2010 and moved to PP. When the new plans were announced, I moved back to T-Mobile with my family so got 4 lines for $100. After taxes it came to about $124. The coverage sucked. I never had problems with them till 2010 and this time the coverage was a mess with all 4 phones, We had high end phones so it was not the phone and the area is Chicago (not even some remote place) and suburbs. My Nexus would get stuck on a tower in Schaumburg when I am 20 miles and had to have T reset it. Data would die. My wife would lose signal everywhere on her HTC One S. My other family members lost signal in buildings and the kicker was there was no service at my house. I was like lets use the Wifi calling feature, and that was even worse. I got rid of T as fast as possible and moved back to PP.
  Surprised to read this. Been with Tmobile for over 7 years in the Chicago and suburbs area. Rarely any dropped calls. My ATT friends face lots of dropped calls.
  Yes, Tmobile does suck inside some buildings but thats acceptable to me. Overall, I think its a pretty decent carrier.

jigsaw1975 said:   
DesiVibe said:   I had T-Mobile from 2003 to 2010 and moved to PP. When the new plans were announced, I moved back to T-Mobile with my family so got 4 lines for $100. After taxes it came to about $124. The coverage sucked. I never had problems with them till 2010 and this time the coverage was a mess with all 4 phones, We had high end phones so it was not the phone and the area is Chicago (not even some remote place) and suburbs. My Nexus would get stuck on a tower in Schaumburg when I am 20 miles and had to have T reset it. Data would die. My wife would lose signal everywhere on her HTC One S. My other family members lost signal in buildings and the kicker was there was no service at my house. I was like lets use the Wifi calling feature, and that was even worse. I got rid of T as fast as possible and moved back to PP.
  Surprised to read this. Been with Tmobile for over 7 years in the Chicago and suburbs area. Rarely any dropped calls. My ATT friends face lots of dropped calls.
  Yes, Tmobile does suck inside some buildings but thats acceptable to me. Overall, I think its a pretty decent carrier.

I'm considering the switch to T-Mobile from Verizion in the Chicago area because in my neighborhood Verizon LTE is horrible.  However, I travel for work and don't want to find myself without good coverage.  One of the main reasons I want to upgrade to 4G is so I have a speedy hotspot at client sites when I need one.  That, plus I can't "expense" the subsidized phone cost with T-Mobiles "no contract"...and I'm not sure this is the best route for me.

I've been using Boostmobile for about 2 years, I'm in San Diego. I got my phone from HSN...it's a nice Samsung and the payments start at $55 and drop $5 bucks every 6 months until you get down to $40.(just don't miss or be late with any payments which is easy to do by setting it up on automatic payments to your bank account or Creditcard). You get unlimited everything....data, text and minutes. I have been very happy with the service, so you may want to try it out, they have a few choices of phones and they do come with a few accessories. If you decide to buy..don't forget to go through FW!!

I've had TMO for 8 years. The service quality varies a lot depending on where you are. I have to depend on wifi-Calling at home otherwise I get 0-3 blocks. Frequently I get 0 and my battery gets drained over night. I got 3 phones from them for free and am still under contract, so I can bear with it. If you require or desire reliable service quality especially in the suburbs, you may be better off with one of ATT's MVNOs or even Verizon...
Cost-wise, Verizon ~= Spring > ATT > TMO on plan prices alone if you consider only the plan costs... But it's not a fair comparison since you have to buy your own phone on TMO. Average 2 years replacement cycle for a smartphone is very reasonable. On average, there is usually something not working, damaged or cracked by that time....

Went to Bestbuy to buy contract TMobile phone . Verizon , Sprint & ATT had big display on seperate counters, TMOB was only on the hanging wall.

No one was present to help & answers questions I had. Will try Tmobile store now.

If you are going to buy a new phone you may want to start by looking into a T-Mobile prepaid phones.
In some cases TMO sells the same phone as both a prepaid and postpaid phone, but charges more for the postpaid phone
for example, the LG L9 is $199 at best buy and $250 at T-Mobile
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/T-Mobile+Prepaid+-+LG+Optimus+4G+No-...
http://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phones/lg-optimus-l9.html

JonnyRock said:   If you are going to buy a new phone you may want to start by looking into a T-Mobile prepaid phones.
In some cases TMO sells the same phone as both a prepaid and postpaid phone, but charges more for the postpaid phone

will any T-Mobile prepaid phone work on the postpaid plan?  i also saw that metropcs is selling the L9 for $150.  anyone have any idea if we can buy the phone from metropcs and use it on T-Mobile?  a savings of $100

JonnyRock said:   If you are going to buy a new phone you may want to start by looking into a T-Mobile prepaid phones.

Good info. Thanks.

So with this plan, I would need to bring my own phone or pay for phone upfront? No subsidies for phones, right?

oceanexprt said:   

will any T-Mobile prepaid phone work on the postpaid plan?  i also saw that metropcs is selling the L9 for $150.  anyone have any idea if we can buy the phone from metropcs and use it on T-Mobile?  a savings of $100

I think you will need to unlock it. But EXPERTS can comment more on this.

docjoo said:   So with this plan, I would need to bring my own phone or pay for phone upfront? No subsidies for phones, right?

I was planing to use it for 2 yrs , so I decided to go Bestbuy , Sign contract & get Phones cheap SII $80,  SIII $149, S4 $199.  

Plus 4 lines , Unlimited everything , 10% off on Monthly bill with AAA , No Activation with AAA.

So $90 / 4 Lines + Junk fees.

docjoo said:   So with this plan, I would need to bring my own phone or pay for phone upfront? No subsidies for phones, right?
  No subsidies.  You pay full price(in monthly installments of $10 to $24 or so)  or BYOD.  

MetroPCS has CDMA and T-Mobile has GSM so phones are not compatible.   Amazon still has the LG L9 for $179 prepaid.(T-Mobile)
I got my dad a T-Mobile prepaid HTC One S from HSN for $229 instead because performance-wise One S can eat L9 for lunch.   L9 has a 0.2 inch bigger display, though, and an SD card slot.

View said:   
  No subsidies.  You pay full price(in monthly installments of $10 to $24 or so)  or BYOD.  

MetroPCS has CDMA and T-Mobile has GSM so phones are not compatible.   Amazon still has the LG L9 for $179 prepaid.
I got my dad a T-Mobile prepaid HTC One S from HSN for $229 instead because performance-wise One S can eat L9 for lunch.   L9 has a 0.2 inch bigger display, though, and an SD card slot.

@ View
What is your experience for T-Mobile coverage.  

Just got in on a 2 line family plan. Check to see if your company has an employee discount as I was able get an additional 15% off through my company discount. Total monthly payment is $68 + tax.

vijujoshi said:   
oceanexprt said:   

all prepaid tmobile phone will work on this plan.  if you have any non tmobile phone, you will need to google your phone to unlock. some will unlock for free, some will cost few dollars.  this is assuming that the non tmobile phones are GSM and have correct mhz matching tmobile.

wiru said:   
vijujoshi said:   
oceanexprt said:   

all prepaid tmobile phone will work on this plan.  if you have any non tmobile phone, you will need to google your phone to unlock. some will unlock for free, some will cost few dollars.  this is assuming that the non tmobile phones are GSM and have correct mhz matching tmobile.

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1293008/ $169.99 shipped no tax for a brand new LG L9 Optimus on eBay

If you do not need web, WM Family (Tmobile) has a new montly for $29.xx unlimted talk and text
$25 for second line

Why buy a phone from the carrier at a premium? Buy them brand new on eBay, unlocked.
I just got a Samsung Galaxy S4 for $530, its around $700 from the carrier if you buy it outright.
Apparently almost 1000 people bought this deal.

I hope WM entertain 10% off from AAA and No Activation

vijujoshi said:   I hope WM entertain 10% off from AAA and No Activation

Surey you jest

I have not belonged to that rip off AAA for 40 years

yesidonoitall said:   

I have not belonged to that rip off AAA for 40 years

I can understand. but in this case its worth, $45 Membership will fetch you saving of $120 , And saving of $35 on activsation.

The current administration wants to slap an additional $4 cell phone 'fee'. Per phone. Better go prepaid.

Krazen1211 said:   The current administration wants to slap an additional $4 cell phone 'fee'. Per phone. Better go prepaid.

Thats typical, rates go down and the gov wants some of your savings....
Can we say anarchy?

Krazen1211 said:   The current administration wants to slap an additional $4 cell phone 'fee'. Per phone. Better go prepaid.

So at the end 'Common man' suffer

jigsaw1975 said:   
Wizzerdo said:   Great...but don't forget to add the cost of your cell phone to the plan... Thought that was great too until I saw the "Down Payment" and monthly payments for the phone.
  We are all using our own existing GSM unlocked phones, so no new added cost.

Many existing GSM unlocked phones don't work with tmo's high speed data. Else this would be a good deal.

is this something you are seeing on your bill currently? or is it something that you heard/read about? if so, source please?

mushman said:   Currently on Sprint SERO and want to chuck my phone at a wall (being cheap keeps me from doing it.

Can anyone share their experience with T-Mobile in the Central NJ area (specifically Edison - 08820). I know I can check the map and it says everything is good, but so does Sprint and it is not. Some personal experience would be great.

Also, What is teh cheapest 1 month T-Mobile plan I could get just to check the service.

Currently using Sprint and TMobile prepaid.
My Sprint phone is an iPhone 5 and for T-Mobile, an unlocked Samsung Galaxy II.  

I dont know about Edison but I work in Raritan and live in Somerville.  My Galaxy doesnt support the 1700 band so I dont get the high speed data at my workplace.  However at home, it is quite fast.  From my experiences the past 2 months, seems like my 2G speeds on TMobile are faster than the 3G on Sprint.  Even when my iPhone says 3G and shows 3-4 bars, it is ridiculously slow or just hangs when trying to load a website.

I used to get pretty good Sprint service but over the past 2 years or so, it has been getting worse and worse.  Their map may show 3G coverage and they claim to be upgrading their towers in the area but I dont see it.  I am planning on closing my contract and porting over my Sprint line to TMobile prepaid soon.

lemonhead said:   
is this something you are seeing on your bill currently? or is it something that you heard/read about? if so, source please?

It's on your bill already. 

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kellyphillipserb/2013/08/16/president-obamas-connected-funding-plan-obama-phones-all-over-again/ 

Taxpayers do pay for programs under the Act but not directly through the federal income tax system. Instead, to pay for services, the Act “mandated the creation of the universal service fund (USF) into which all telecommunications providers are required to contribute a percentage of their interstate and international end-user telecommunications revenues.” That little fee on your phone bill labeled USF? That’s what you’re paying for.

If approved, the plan to pay for ConnectED could result in as much as $12 in increased fees for cell phone customers over three years. 

I just dropped my 2 prepaid GS2's on TMobile, coverage in New England was HORRIBLE. Was fine in the big cities but drive 15 min out of town and calls start to drop and data disappears.

Tine to tell Sprint to match this deal or pound sand...

Went to Tmobile store, The rep said I can not use Iphone 4S (unlocked) from Sprint on Tmobile ? Is any one using this !!

^^Sprint is cdma, tmobile is gsm.  Two different technologies.  Sort of like trying to play a bluray disk in a HD dvd player, or betamax in a vhs player.  Both carry video/audio information, but are incompatible with one another.

Unless of course your iphone has gsm capabilities, then ignore the above.

Thanks GPZ1100 for reply

Krazen1211 said:   
lemonhead said:   

It's on your bill already. 

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kellyphillipserb/2013/08/16/president-obamas-connected-funding-plan-obama-phones-all-over-again/   

Taxpayers do pay for programs under the Act but not directly through the federal income tax system. Instead, to pay for services, the Act “mandated the creation of the universal service fund (USF) into which all telecommunications providers are required to contribute a percentage of their interstate and international end-user telecommunications revenues.” That little fee on your phone bill labeled USF? That’s what you’re paying for.

If approved, the plan to pay for ConnectED could result in as much as $12 in increased fees for cell phone customers over three years. 

Susan Sandlin  posted this in the comments on your article.

"The landline phone program was actually started in 1984 under President Reagan, called Lifeline, but was originally thought of in 1934, under the Communications Act. The program expanded under President Clinton, with the Telecommunications Act of 1996. President George W. Bush expanded to cell phones in 2008, using SafeLinc Wireless. Google each Act, with the correct president’s name, and you will find the correct information. "
-------------------------------
Why does anyone care about these "BushPhones" anyhow?  Where I live, a land line costs at least $25 per month.What tax payers wouldn't prefer subsidizing a pp cell plan when it costs less than that?  Those old geezers in congress who bring up 'Obama Phones' as talking points probably think cell phone plans still all cost $100+ a month and that you can't buy a cell phone for $9.99 at the corner market.  I am not sure who disgusts me more, the people who are pissed off because they see someone getting something free and they are not getting the same, or the people who take advantage when they are not in need.  I have a feeling that there are many more of the former, and I think they are the winners in my contest of disgust.

Gpz1100 said:   ^^Sprint is cdma, tmobile is gsm.  Two different technologies.  Sort of like trying to play a bluray disk in a HD dvd player, or betamax in a vhs player.  Both carry video/audio information, but are incompatible with one another.

Sprint iPhone 4S has SIM slot and if your phone is really unlocked, you can use it with T-Mobile for call/text - not sure what data speed you will get. Will leave this to someone more knowledgeable. Most likely Edge.

Having said that, Sprint doesn't unlock phones easily so it could be that the GSM slot in the phone isn't really unlocked.

You can get a GPP SIM card to unlock Sprint iPhone 4S - need to be jailbroken first. Same for Verizon 4S.

thsze said:   
Gpz1100 said:   ^^Sprint is cdma, tmobile is gsm.  Two different technologies.  Sort of like trying to play a bluray disk in a HD dvd player, or betamax in a vhs player.  Both carry video/audio information, but are incompatible with one another.

Sprint iPhone 4S has SIM slot and if your phone is really unlocked, you can use it with T-Mobile for call/text - not sure what data speed you will get. Will leave this to someone more knowledgeable. Most likely Edge.

Having said that, Sprint doesn't unlock phones easily so it could be that the GSM slot in the phone isn't really unlocked.

You can get a GPP SIM card to unlock Sprint iPhone 4S - need to be jailbroken first. Same for Verizon 4S.

You are right , I just got my Sprint 4S unlocked at shop for $40 , they used that GPP SIM.

No. MetroPCS is CDMA, not GSM like ATT & TM.....You can get it provisioned to use on almost any CDMA, PP,Verizon,Sprint,ST,VM,Cricket,Altell.........
  BTW, there are CDMA phones that are GSM capable,i.e., 8830Worldphone w/sims and a few others...so you could have your phone ready to go overseas, or work on alternate networks.  I do not think you could have the phone automatically 'switch', you have to manually select a network in settings......    whew....

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.