amazon link

Back in stock!! 09/16

Member Summary

Kwikset featuring SmartKey Juno Keyed Entry Knob and Single Cylinder Deadbolt
Thanks Neilium
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

In 4 2. Thanks OP!
I will add this to the new UniKey Kevo I pre-ordered. They use a kwickset lock so I will match using their key matching smartkey to make the house all match. Good timing. The Kevo should be here in a couple of months.

Brass color is a better deal (if color alone isn't a deciding factor).

just don't buy anything with smartkey. It only takes like 10 seconds to open any smartkey door. the lock would be still functional after it is picked. You lock could be picked, and you wouldn't know it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sR-h64WwfW8

SSi said:   just don't buy anything with smartkey. It only takes like 10 seconds to open any smartkey door. the lock would be still functional after it is picked. You lock could be picked, and you wouldn't know it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sR-h64WwfW8

Thanks, I didn't realize how easy it was to break these. While I'm here, any recommendations for a replacement?

If you watch the video, make sure you scroll down to read the reply by Joe Angelo.

veckle said:   If you watch the video, make sure you scroll down to read the reply by Joe Angelo.

No special tool needed. Here's another one with simple screwdriver: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-9YNcnegjY

Kwikset non smartkey locks are decent. Medeco makes great quality locks. However, if burglar really wants to steal something, they could always break the window . To me, smartkey seems too easy to break open.

Kwikset locks look good. Their quality is just as good as schlage. But any lock can be picked in a few minutes lol. Check youtube. Shclage can opened with a simple bump key(made by shaving off any other schlage key). I think more times than not these locks are for looks. If you really want lock security you can go for commercial locks. Or put another deadbolt on to make it little more difficult.

Gadaska said:   Kwikset locks look good. Their quality is just as good as schlage. But any lock can be picked in a few minutes lol. Check youtube. Shclage can opened with a simple bump key(made by shaving off any other schlage key). I think more times than not these locks are for looks. If you really want lock security you can go for commercial locks. Or put another deadbolt on to make it little more difficult.
You make me laugh. Kwikset as good as Schlage? I don't think so.

can you please explain how Kwikset locks are so inferior. I agree I may have over simplified.........schlage look more sturdily built when you hold them.

Here is what I meant by how simple is picking schlage key

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gROEh3TunUo

Gadaska said:   can you please explain how Kwikset locks are so inferior. I agree I may have over simplified.........schlage look more sturdily built when you hold them.

Here is what I meant by how simple is picking schlage key

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gROEh3TunUo

Looks is nothing. Kiwkset quality control is terrible. I've had the cylinders installed upside down at the factory. A call to their tech support confirmed it. So a few years later, I figured they should have found the problem. Nope, half of the packages I bought had the assembly installed upside down. Never had a problem with schlage.

so what u are referring is not the quality of the security the lock provides(if its all in once piece and assembled ok) but one may end up with a lock which cannot be installed properly.

Gadaska said:   so what u are referring is not the quality of the security the lock provides(if its all in once piece and assembled ok) but one may end up with a lock which cannot be installed properly.
I do not know if its easier to defeat a Kwikset than a Schlage, but IMO the Schlage is much smoother in operation than the Kwikset

Door security is not simple and usually not cheap if it is done effectively. Kicked doors are all the rage really. Lifting a slider door off its tracks is simple as pie in most cases too. Get a kennel's worth of big dogs planted both inside and out and your door won't matter that much anymore.

Another idea is to install a bolt or anti-kick blockade device which is only accessible from the inside - pretty good for when you're there, not so great if the power goes out and your garage door won't open.

A simple improvement for many doors is to replace any short (~1") wood screws with 3" varieties and get them seated well into your structural lumber and not just the door framing. Do this for the hinge side as well.

I was thinking of replacing the screws with 3" ones but then I thought of the door that the builder has provided and that it has glass windows. I know not everyone has it. I think if anyone wanted in they could just break the glass and just reach inside to open it from inside.

And going back to original comment: What I meant was that only one video showing how easy it is to open a certain brand of lock shouldn't be your only deciding factor. There are ton's of videos showing how other brand of locks can be opened just as easily.

Gadaska said:   I was thinking of replacing the screws with 3" ones but then I thought of the door that the builder has provided and that it has glass windows. I know not everyone has it. I think if anyone wanted in they could just break the glass and just reach inside to open it from inside.
True enough. If your neighborhood was built by the same construction firm, it's a good chance that you and your neighbors initially shared the same lock set manufacturer and styles (or a limited range thereof). This is a boon for a bump key opportunist. As such, most of your neighbors will basically have the key style needed to make a bump key for your locks. Changing from Kwikset to Schlage or Medeco or Mult-T-Lock, etc, for even one keyed device (of a knob and bolt setup) is a vast improvement just by the virtue of being different.

So translation...find a STRONG Small Shim that fits in the lock and you can turn the lock with a set of pliers.
YIKES

Definitely not a front or back door lock.

I think the translation should be: if a burglar wants to get in he/she will no matter what lock you have. Should have backup like an alarm system, a dog with scary barking noise. Or put a kwikset lock and schlage dual cylinder deadbolt. But that may make the prospective burglar wonder why do you have two locks, do u have something valuable. Maybe get those security cameras and record everything so atleast you know who did it so may cops have a chance. So, many options.....I feel so unsafe now.......and all this time I thought all I needed was a good lock............just kidding.

Yes that's fair Gadaska, if a burglar or other nefarious character really wants in, a lock is not going to stop them. Personally I agree that Kwikset is not even in the same league as Schlage (even their cheap ones) but to each their own. The point being that if any regular run-of-the-mill door lock (even a deadbolt) is your idea of be-all end-all security you are in for trouble from the beginning.

BACK IN STOCK!!

These Deadbolts are awesome, have been using one for two years, and are sooooo simple to rekey it is amazing... Install is easy and looks as good as day 1. I am happy with this. (Only using Deadbolt) not knob or anything.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014