rated:
Price  just keeps falling

Member Summary

Red Akorn Char-Griller Kamado Kooker
Thanks Farfisa850
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Is this at all similar to the green egg which costs much more?

bestdealseaker said:   Is this at all similar to the green egg which costs much more?

yes, but rather cheaper

Does it last as long and perform the same?

Larger than the "Large" BGE by ~45 sq. in.

Read the reviews and specs. It appears that the main body of this grill is sheet metal, not ceramic like a real kamado should be.

this grill is a worthy bargin competitor of ceramic grills. I have the char griller and have experience with my friend's BGE... no way would I pay the price premium for the BGE.

here's some ramblings/observations from what i've seen on these over my last few weeks of researching them.

every review starts "for the money...." it seems worth the price.
is it 100% equal in quality to an $800+ ceramic grill? apparently not.
does it have the capability to cook equally well? likely
is it worth 2x the price of a weber kettle? apparently so

"for the money" i can see if this type of cooking is my thing. if i dent is or screw it up some other way, i can still buy a 2nd and have less money in it than any big-name competitor.

Lowe's carries these in-store for $300. i went by the other day and looked at one. the inner firebox holder appears to be the same quality as my weber kettle. then there's another inch of "advanced technology" (not ceramic) surrounding that weber kettle-like box. the insulation must be great compared to what i'm used to. unfortunately i made the mistake of handling the $1,000 competitor next to it. insulation, appearance, weight, and general quality on that one were awesome.

only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger is every time i use it am i going to think about how nice that other one was? i guess i can dry my tears with the extra $750

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014