• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

OMP 10oz Silver bars
Disclaimer
about $1/oz cheaper than APMEX     and have real time price you can track and buy.

Provident Metals linkymoo    

they also have cheaper shipping rates than APMEX too.

Shipping rates are as follows:
Order Sub-Total Shipping Rate
$0-$99.99 $5.95
$100-$499.99 $8.95
$500-$1,999.99 $11.95
$2,000-$4,999.99 $16.95
$5,000 + $24.95

NOTE:  1st time buyers can only purchase up to $1500 w/credit cards
Now through Monday, September 30, shipping is just $4.95 on ALL orders!!

Member Summary

Provident Metals
Thanks Farfisa850
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
I see Provident offers a buyback at ~$12 under their cash sell price but they require $1000 minimum so keep that in mind... (more)

Reots (Sep. 03, 2013 @ 7:15p) |

I don't know how I missed it: did you say crap that nobody needs??

SinglePapa (Sep. 04, 2013 @ 11:06a) |

That’s ANY order, ANY size….for the rest of the ... (more)

linrick (Sep. 04, 2013 @ 3:46p) |

• Also categorized in:
    • Manufacturer › SPOT
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

https://creditcards.chase.com/credit-cards/ink-bold-credit-card....

Get a new card with $500 back, and this might be a great deal, if you're looking for silver anyway.

"OPM silver rounds are ISO9001 certified and are therefore eligible to be placed in your self directed IRA."

I had no idea that you could do this. Just reposting in case it's beneficial to anyone else.

FatWalletLurker said:   https://creditcards.chase.com/credit-cards/ink-bold-credit-card.aspx?CELL=6RRW&MSC=IQ60751921&jp_cmp=cc/01BRChaseInkExact/sea/na/Sitelink

Get a new card with $500 back, and this might be a great deal, if you're looking for silver anyway.

That card is not a good deal!  50,000 points equiv to $625 toward travel after spending $5k in first 3 months.  1:1 transfer to some hotels and airlines.  Average Marriott hotels cost 35,000 - 40,000 per night or $140.  So it's worth $225 at best.

Mikey895 said:   
FatWalletLurker said:   https://creditcards.chase.com/credit-cards/ink-bold-credit-card.aspx?CELL=6RRW&MSC=IQ60751921&jp_cmp=cc/01BRChaseInkExact/sea/na/Sitelink   

That card is not a good deal!  50,000 points equiv to $625 toward travel after spending $5k in first 3 months.  1:1 transfer to some hotels and airlines.  Average Marriott hotels cost 35,000 - 40,000 per night or $140.  So it's worth $225 at best.

this one from fatwalletlurker is business w/$5K purchase in 3 months.  and the $500 is sapphire preferred   and requires only $3K purchase in 3 months. 

The Chase Ink thing gives ultimate rewards points, so that's worth at least $500 as a statement credit.

Hmmm...low over the last year has been $18.60/oz.  The high $35.02.  Tempting.

cyfan said:   Hmmm...low over the last year has been $18.60/oz.  The high $35.02.  Tempting.

i should have bought when it was around $14ish/oz.  but realizing lately that $ sitting in savings drawing around .25% interest, i would be better off investing in silver instead.  it's still cheap to buy than gold.

Yes and considering that precious metals are more of a "hedge" than necessarily investment...

how to buy with cash? TIA

10 Oz year of the snake currently showing up as just a touch cheaper than the OPM branded bar. Beautiful bar, but not sure if it is IRA eligible as the one above.

Xam;17946689 said: how to buy with cash? TIA

The following Payment Options are available

Payment Type Amount Cash Discount (http://www.providentmetals.com/faq.html#cash-discount )
Bank Wire Over $2,000 Yes
Personal Check Orders $1-$20,000 Yes
Cashier’s Checks Orders $1- $20,000 Yes
Money Orders Orders $1- $20,000 Yes
Credit Card Online orders $1-$1,500
Call during business hours to place credit card orders over $1,500
Credit card orders do not qualify for cash discounted pricing
No

Cash discount is the way to go if possible. Not only do you save $$ (the FW way, right?), but shipping is cheaper for cash by a few bucks. (Also...please please don't buy using a CC if you're not going to pay it off right away. Any "gains" from purchasing PMs will quickly be negated by paying interest...even if it is the American way.)

AG was at $19s last 2 weeks back. its over bought now. imo.

linrick said:   
cyfan said:   Hmmm...low over the last year has been $18.60/oz.  The high $35.02.  Tempting.
it's still cheap to buy than gold.

Normally is.

https://creditcards.chase.com/credit-cards/ink-bold-credit-card....

Here is a referral free link

That is an amazing card to have. If you do not already. 50k points transfer directly 1;1 to hyatt points. the most expensive hyatts in the world are only 22k points. I routinely find deals for good value hyatts. Like the Grand Hyatt in Santiago Chile. At 8k points per night, you can get 6 free nights with this one card... If you have status, they upgrade readily there and have some fantastic suites with an amazing regency club featuring an open bar, and priceless views of the Andes. 

on the main link now it says if you buy 10 or more it is only $.79 over spot.  that's a good deal, but the 99 cent stuff...not so much APMEX runs that quite often for various sizes.  also, check eBay if you are buying silver and want to pay with CC through paypal...I've found deals that are cheaper on APMEX eBay store than their normal storefront and you don't have to pay any CC fees.

dracula, why would you want to put these in a self directed IRA?  people buy physical metals to hold on to in case of economic crisis.  good luck knocking on the door of the 'self directed IRA' and asking for your silver!  you don't physically hold your silver in an IRA, it has to sit in a repository.

I hope I don't get slammed for asking this, but is buying silver/gold better than putting that money in a tax-free Roth IRA? I guess it all depends if I want to hedge against an economic collapse of some sort?

spanky42 said:   on the main link now it says if you buy 10 or more it is only $.79 over spot.  that's a good deal, but the 99 cent stuff...not so much APMEX runs that quite often for various sizes.  also, check eBay if you are buying silver and want to pay with CC through paypal...I've found deals that are cheaper on APMEX eBay store than their normal storefront and you don't have to pay any CC fees.

dracula, why would you want to put these in a self directed IRA?  people buy physical metals to hold on to in case of economic crisis.  good luck knocking on the door of the 'self directed IRA' and asking for your silver!  you don't physically hold your silver in an IRA, it has to sit in a repository.

nope, APMEX price thru eBay or on their website is still $1 more per oz than Provident Metals.
for instance:  APMEX eBay price right now is $262.55 + $4.95 shipping = $267.45 vs. Provident Metals price of $252.10 + $5.95 shipping  =  $258.05.

linrick I didn't mean at this exact moment APMEX or eBay is cheaper, I was just saying they run deals all of the time and can be bought for good prices.  this is a good deal, especially for ten or more.

reset2k said:   I hope I don't get slammed for asking this, but is buying silver/gold better than putting that money in a tax-free Roth IRA? I guess it all depends if I want to hedge against an economic collapse of some sort?

with USA deficit way beyond infinity, i don't trust the government or banks to safekeeping my hard earned $.  tangible goods like gold/silver is better way to go.

linrick said:   
reset2k said:   I hope I don't get slammed for asking this, but is buying silver/gold better than putting that money in a tax-free Roth IRA? I guess it all depends if I want to hedge against an economic collapse of some sort?

with USA deficit way beyond infinity, i don't trust the government or banks to safekeeping my hard earned $.  tangible goods like gold/silver is better way to go.

Enough said, thanks

spanky42 said:   linrick I didn't mean at this exact moment APMEX or eBay is cheaper, I was just saying they run deals all of the time and can be bought for good prices.  this is a good deal, especially for ten or more.
  i know.  i've seen APMEX run specials too and have been tracking the prices of silver constantly for the past few years.  APMEX still come off more expensive than Provident Metals everyday price.

linrick said:   

The only metals I invest in are firearms and ammo.

These guys think that silver & gold are going to drop. What's the insider scoop on the rush to buy?

http://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/2013/08/27/how-high-can-gold-...

Economy seems to be getting a bit sluggish, had two items arrive a day early from both fedex and ups. Housing markets seem to be slowing as the deals are no longer so hot, and the FED is winding down QE. Wouldn't say its the best time to buy PM, like firearms and ammo they can always make more.

Reots said:   Economy seems to be getting a bit sluggish, had two items arrive a day early from both fedex and ups. Housing markets seem to be slowing as the deals are no longer so hot, and the FED is winding down QE. Wouldn't say its the best time to buy PM, like firearms and ammo they can always make more.

you're the second person mentioned PM.  please enlighten my ignorance of what PM stands for.

Precious Metals

peas said:   Precious Metals
  LOL!  TY

The inside scoop is to not rely on any mainstream mass media. Buy your physical silver for the long term and watch it go up as paper money keeps losing value. Be aware that the paper silver market is rigged by a crooked Wall Street. The recent silver downtrend was 90% caused by JP Morgan. Always take physical possession. 

good reading
http://www.gata.org/
http://www.lemetropolecafe.com/

One thing to keep in mind when buying these little silver bars would be who will buy them from you. A few months ago when silver was $35 an ounce, my friend brought his pre1964 silver quarters along with a few of these little silver bars that his father bought 20 years ago to the local Coin & Stamp dealer. The coin dealer gave him a hard time about the bars, stating that there are a lot of counterfeits out there and the Certificate of Authenticity was just as easy to counterfeit. Of course there are ways to test the bars such as weighing them, cutting them in half and using chemicals to see if it is really silver all the way through.

The junk US silver quarters on the other hand are VERY easy to buy & sell.

Provident shows a buy back price on every item. If the local coin shop is a moron, no reason to deal with them. APMEX does the same. Both are good companies, APMEX generally in the end is a little more due to shipping, but they have the largest selection IMHO. Provident did have a shipping "slowdown" back when the price plunged, but once they caught up with the huge demand it is back to previous shipping times. Be sure to carefully read the rules and agreements, they all give themselves a lot of leeway. I usually pay by check saving the CC fees, which are higher than the rewards for me anyway. Occasionaly APMEX will have an eBay deal you can use a CC on without "penalty" but generally I can beat any AMPEX eBay deal at Provident when all is said and done, with rare exception. A couple of weeks ago APMEX sold 10 ASEs for cheaper than anyone, CC no problem, and fast shipping. But that is one of those RARE deals like that. Your mileage will vary.

yeah, if you're gonna buy and later sell to local pawn shops, maybe buying/investing in PM isn't for you.

linrick said:   yeah, if you're gonna buy and later sell to local pawn shops, maybe buying/investing in PM isn't for you.
  Some pawn shops pay competitive prices.

FWIW I'll jump in here and get some red ... but what the heck:

I speak from experience ... having started investing in silver back in the 80s.  PMs are inherently easy to purchase but harder to sell.  You pay a premium for the PM at purchase and a discount (typically) when you sell.  At a time when people are looking for any means to make money on their investments vice losing money (against inflation) on their savings I am more than skeptical about investing in PMs.  This may be a good deal on purchasing silver but IMHO investing in PMs is not.

linrick said:   yeah, if you're gonna buy and later sell to local pawn shops, maybe buying/investing in PM isn't for you.
  Coming from the guy who did not even know what PM stood for in the context of this thread a few messages back is quite funny. I'm sure the silver bars bought at providentmetals.com & apmex.com are authentic and if you are going to "invest" in silver, then sell it back to these websites a few months or years later, you will be fine. My point was, MANY years from now, these websites may not be around. If the US economy takes a huge hit and paper money is worthless, you may be using your silver to buy food for mother and baby.

US minted silver coins are much harder to counterfeit, thus extremely liquid. These little silver bars with their Certificate of Authenticity, not so much.

Good thing this conversation was not exactly 2 years ago, with $1920 gold and $50 silver...No one wants to sell PM when it's easy to sell.

PM have miserable track record over the real long term vs. stocks. And even vs. bonds, given power of compounding. Of course, this time it may be different - as nominal debt levels sound beyond manageable.

Still, the times when you might only buy food with silver are too surreal. Not clear if you would want to be a survivor in THAT kind of society

Silver eagles are easier to sell.

You might want to purchase a calculator and figure out the average "return" on stocks given inflation and the every decade shearing of the sheep.

Plenty of people who bought into silver [and more so, gold] over the last 20 years have made substantial earnings.

It is a real thing like land. Stocks are digits on a computer storage somewhere today, and easily taken by a government through taxation or confiscation. Try to hide your stock "digits" and not give the government the taxes.

Good luck with that. No fiat currency has lasted more than 70 years, look at our so called dollar. Backed by silver and gold, then gold was removed [1932?], then silver removed [1964], then internationally gold backing was removed [1972].
In case you haven't seen it coming, the FRN is dying. Not in a day or a week, over years. The FRN has lost about 97% of it's purchasing power over the lifetime of the Federal Reserve. Gold and silver have not.

But good luck with your dreams of nothing ever changing aka "normalcy bias".

If silver was "going to go down", it would be priced into the spot.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Efficient-market_hypothesis

Skipping 31 Messages...

That’s ANY order, ANY size….for the rest of the month! No discount code required.Buy a tube of Canadian Silver Maples? $4.95 shipping.
Pick up five 1 oz. Gold Austrian Philharmonic coins? $4.95 shipping.
Order an entire pallet of American Gold Eagles? $4.95 shipping.Proceed through the checkout process as usual; you’ll see one standard, flat-rate shipping fee for all orders. Simple as that!Your packages will be delivered by the safest and fastest provider, with the same full slate of insurance coverage and discreet packaging. But it won’t cost you a penny more than $4.95 until after September 30.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014