rated:

Roku 3 Streaming Player
Disclaimer

Member Summary

Roku 3
Thanks Neilium
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Amazon's price on the Roku 3 has now dropped to $86.68!

Also:

FREE One-Day Shipping if you purchase this item using your e... (more)

parsimoniouspat (Sep. 04, 2013 @ 12:48a) |

Damn it....I'm in. Finally going to see what all the fuss is about. Don't think it will kill my WDTV SMP since no HDD co... (more)

PharmerNate (Sep. 04, 2013 @ 12:58a) |

Loving my Roku so far. Bummed there's no off button which makes it a problem on an AUTO HDMI switcher which will switch ... (more)

PharmerNate (Sep. 05, 2013 @ 2:21p) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Same price if you have a Frys near you > Link  

$89.99 at Best Buy also...

It's the same price at Roku.com I don't think this is much of a deal...

Costco has it for $84.99.

Yes, other stores have it, but where I live (Saint Louis, MO), Amazon's deal is still the cheapest because there is no sales tax charged!

Chromecast $35

opathal said:   Chromecast $35
  Android hasn't dominated the world yet, so...

I can stream movies from my server with Roku, can chromecast do that?

"We have huge plans... that there will be tons of content, including local content. That's what we'd like to do, but we can't get content providers to sign-on. In fact, they are actively blocking the browser string that Google TV provides. We could easily get around this by making the Google TV browser return the browser string for desktop Chrome, but then we'd get our butts handed to us in court. See, the content providers are ok if you bypass most of their ads by viewing their web content on a computer, but if you do it in your living room they will scream that this was never intended for the 'big screen'. So, while we have big plans for the device, they will never be fulfilled because even Netflix, who wants your money to watch movies, has a contract with us that says we better not let you watch movies you've downloaded. Sure, we'd like to give you this ability, but we can't offer you anything, even Netflix (let alone the big networks and cable providers), if it means you can get studio content for free, legally or otherwise. At least we own YouTube. Maybe we should have called our product the YouCast. We can't get into as much trouble streaming our own stuff."

namlook said:   

"We have huge plans... that there will be tons of content, including local content. That's what we'd like to do, but we can't get content providers to sign-on. In fact, they are actively blocking the browser string that Google TV provides. We could easily get around this by making the Google TV browser return the browser string for desktop Chrome, but then we'd get our butts handed to us in court. See, the content providers are ok if you bypass most of their ads by viewing their web content on a computer, but if you do it in your living room they will scream that this was never intended for the 'big screen'. So, while we have big plans for the device, they will never be fulfilled because even Netflix, who wants your money to watch movies, has a contract with us that says we better not let you watch movies you've downloaded. Sure, we'd like to give you this ability, but we can't offer you anything, even Netflix (let alone the big networks and cable providers), if it means you can get studio content for free, legally or otherwise. At least we own YouTube. Maybe we should have called our product the YouCast. We can't get into as much trouble streaming our own stuff."

Let's not do this.  The R3 is on sale for $90.  If people are shopping for one, that's not a bad price.  

No need to pimp the alternatives.  If some asks, have at it, but let's not thread crap and let's not pretend the R3 is more than it is.  Ditto on CC.  

For the record, yeah, the CC can stream anything that you can open in a tab in Chrome -- that includes Playon, Plex, and files you have on your PC.  And YouTube.  Just sayin'

wizwor said:   
namlook said:   

Let's not do this.  The R3 is on sale for $90.  If people are shopping for one, that's not a bad price.  

No need to pimp the alternatives.  If some asks, have at it, but let's not thread crap and let's not pretend the R3 is more than it is.  Ditto on CC.  

For the record, yeah, the CC can stream anything that you can open in a tab in Chrome -- that includes Playon, Plex, and files you have on your PC.  And YouTube.  Just sayin'

Lets not do this and then you join the debate? LOL.

WAS WAITING FOR THE PRICE TO GO TO 89.00 , no taxes and no shipping.... Thenks loads

I bought Roku 3 from Amazon about a month ago! when I tried to register it so I could start streaming I was told I had to give them my credit card for my convenience in case I wanted to purchase services. I finally was able to register the Roku with giving my credit card but the process was a pain. Then I find Roku does not support YouTube and has limited move files it will play with a flash drive or stream from my computer. I like the interface better than Apple TV but the above limitations make for a 3 star at best.

I'm waiting for the price to go down to $88.

namlook said:   
wizwor said:   
namlook said:   

Lets not do this and then you join the debate? LOL.

Let's not do this, -after I have my say.... 

I also think it's not a good deal

benforbest said:   I also think it's not a good deal
  Please post a better one.  TIA.

Arwood said:   I bought Roku 3 from Amazon about a month ago! when I tried to register it so I could start streaming I was told I had to give them my credit card for my convenience in case I wanted to purchase services. I finally was able to register the Roku with giving my credit card but the process was a pain. Then I find Roku does not support YouTube and has limited move files it will play with a flash drive or stream from my computer. I like the interface better than Apple TV but the above limitations make for a 3 star at best.

Sorry you can't watch your cheezburger clips on a bigger screen, but I can stream my local content to the Roku via the Plex channel. 

is it really???

Sonofspam said:   I'm waiting for the price to go down to $88.
rita54 indicated at the top of the thread that Costco has it for $85. 
forzaINTER also linked to another thread where pcrichard.com also has it for $85.

JosiOK said:   
Sonofspam said:   I'm waiting for the price to go down to $88.
rita54 indicated at the top of the thread that Costco has it for $85. 
forzaINTER also linked to another thread where pcrichard.com also has it for $85.

Costco charges sales tax.
Other site has way too many 1 star reviews and people complaining of issues with them for me to want to order from their store. (Although the price is better, and no sales tax as far as I could tell.)

Amazon's price on the Roku 3 has now dropped to $86.68!

Also:

FREE One-Day Shipping if you purchase this item using your eligible Citi credit card for a limited time. Enter code CITIFSI3 at checkout.Here's how (restrictions apply)

Damn it....I'm in. Finally going to see what all the fuss is about. Don't think it will kill my WDTV SMP since no HDD connectivity, but looking forward to trying it out for it's streaming capabilities.

Loving my Roku so far. Bummed there's no off button which makes it a problem on an AUTO HDMI switcher which will switch to a certain input based upon whether it is on or not (e.g., when I turn on my Xbox, the input switches automatically, when I turn it off it switches back to TV). Guess I'll have to do what I do with my Apple TV, and put it on a dedicated HDMI going into my stereo. In my opinion I should not be forced to leave a piece of my entertainment system always on. Not happy about that....but the in-remote headphone jack is an unexpected and welcome bonus, as I watch Hulu at night while the wife is sleeping, and wireless headphones are a little pricey.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014