Voting History
rated:

Sharp 70
Disclaimer
Sharp 70" Class LED 120 Hz 1080P $1248 @ WalMart

Sharp 70 inch

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Good buy EP, you won't regret it. There was two at the store where I bought mine at 7:45pm at night. When I got home i... (more)

megachacker (Sep. 06, 2013 @ 11:21a) |

I was in 4 1, but received a cancellation about an hour later. Darn!

rlshoemake87 (Sep. 06, 2013 @ 1:58p) |

I had to return one.  It was a display, sold as new (and wasn't in very good shap).  My brother got the good one and I'm... (more)

EP1 (Sep. 08, 2013 @ 11:38a) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

YMMV, not available for shipping and none available in any store within 100-miles of my zipcode

How old is this tv? Comparable to the 65 inch Vizio Wal-Mart currently has is it worth the extra $300 for 70 inches?

megachacker said:   How old is this tv? Comparable to the 65 inch Vizio Wal-Mart currently has is it worth the extra $300 for 70 inches?

Vizio is 2011 model
Sharp is 2012 model
Specs are pretty similar, and even though the Vizio is 3D (and I love my 3D), I personally would pony up the extra $300 for the 70" if the choice was strictly between those 2 models.

Excuse me, not the 3D Vizio...they also have a 65 inch Vizio on sale for $998.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/VIZIO-65-Class-LED-1080p-120Hz-SMART-H...

Yes I know...the problem with that one is the stock. There's no no where remotely near where I live. The non 3D model is at my store right now. Almost bought it yesterday. Problem is I REALLY wanted a 70 inch tv....this may solve that problem. But is $300 worth 5 extra inches all around? I'm still going over sites reading reviews on this Sharp.

Not too mention the Sharp is an LCD tv with LED Edge lighting.  The Vizio is an LED set.   Would the naked eye at 5-10 feet away even notice?

All LED TV's are LCD TV's!!! LED is the back-lighting part of it as compared to fluorescent back lighting!

megachacker said:   How old is this tv? Comparable to the 65 inch Vizio Wal-Mart currently has is it worth the extra $300 for 70 inches?
Unless you have REALLY small room, IMHO you should get LARGEST TV you can afford at any given moment.  

I have 73" Mitsu DLP and my viewing distance is only about 8-9 feet, but after a week or so, I wished I ordered larger TV even though price difference would have been about 50% cost of the 73".

In stock (pick up today according to the website) at:
Millville NJ (08332) and Dover DE (19901)

10 years from now we will be dealing with 150" sets for $1000. Old ladies at work keep talking about sizes of their TV sets, "We have 42" in the main bedroom and in our living room we have 55". "Oh, that's nice, Cindy! We also need to get a larger set for us!" "My daughter got a 70" TV for them". "Oh no! 70"!!! Mast be nice! They make them big!"  They can go for hours burbling about stupid TVs, drive me crazy...

77Rus said:    They can go for hours burbling about stupid TVs, drive me crazy...
  You know that ain't really all that different from fatwallet...

Stranger 2 said:
IMHO you should get LARGEST TV you can afford at any given moment.  

Best recommendation ever.  I don't think I have heard anyone remark: "You know, I think my TV is too big!

Crap, its in stock. But i should pay off my student loan!
Oh man, do i really need to replace my panasonic 47" in my 600sqft condo for this?
Argh... first world decisions!

robby69 said:   
Stranger 2 said:

Best recommendation ever.  I don't think I have heard anyone remark: "You know, I think my TV is too big!

Agree 100%.

mrpresidentusa said:   
robby69 said:   
Stranger 2 said:

Agree 100%.

I own this TV and it's great, but I have to agree. I sort of wish I had bought the 80 or 90 inch if the jump in price wasn't so steep. It is definitely not "too big" as I feared at first.

This set is way too big!
My 19" RCA suits me just fine! Of course a color set may be nice to have one day.

pkny said:   Crap, its in stock. But i should pay off my student loan!
Oh man, do i really need to replace my panasonic 47" in my 600sqft condo for this?
Argh... first world decisions!

Pay of the loans man, the negative flow.  A true FW would pay off the loans.  Since 4/11 I have dropped over 90k on my SL and I'm down to just under 9k and it doesn't make a lick of sense to do anything but keep paying it down, although I am forced to put a roof on my house instead.  I will pay them off in the next year at the latest.  Paying them off early versus the 25y $600/m schedule saves me 100k in interest!

This set is way too big!
My 19" RCA suits me just fine! Of course a color set may be nice to have one day.

I remember the days!

Anything bigger than 70" you would probably want to consider a nice projection system on a cost/size basis.  An 80" Sharp LED is $3300.  If you have light control you can get a decent projector/screen with velvet frame that you could go 120" + easily for around the same price.  If you do have light control issues, you will pay considerably more to get a combo to overcome that.

Yeah, but does it have a turntable in it???

drmorb said:   Pay of the loans man, the negative flow.  A true FW would pay off the loans.  Since 4/11 I have dropped over 90k on my SL and I'm down to just under 9k and it doesn't make a lick of sense to do anything but keep paying it down, although I am forced to put a roof on my house instead.  I will pay them off in the next year at the latest.  Paying them off early versus the 25y $600/m schedule saves me 100k in interest!
I think a true FWer would pay the minimum on relatively low interest student loans and invest any extra cash in something that would earn much more than $100k over 25 years.

I just got a 65" Sharp Aquos Quattron for my birthday and it is the biggest that will fit on our wall and still allow us to use our floor lamps next to it lol. My viewing distance is anywhere from 6ft to 14ft so a 70" would be debatable. The picture is beautiful though once you get the colors dialed in.

I just checked all around FL, not available. It's still a hot deal, just YMMV (which should be in the title).

Not planning on picking one up, but are currently showing available in:

I'm picking one up at 7pm tonight. Have it bought. Will let anyone know what I think if they're interested.

Now....I just have to find a vehicle to pick it up in!  Suggestions besides a UHaul?  lol  
Won't fit in my Vibe nor a Trailblazer according to box measurements taken of 46x70.

Great deal!

I dont think I've ever actually seen a 65" tv, but i know going from my best friends house (a 60" sharp aquos) back to my house (i have a 70" aquos), there's a huge difference between 60 and 70! i suppose 65 would be much less drastic.

After owning a 70"... forget ever trying to sit down in front of a 50" again.

good timing for football but I don't remember seeing any glowing reviews of Sharp TVs.

I'm saving up for a ultra HD tv on BF. Sony started rolling out the content already. http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/04/sony-video-ulimited-4k-video-...

Monkeybiz said:   good timing for football but I don't remember seeing any glowing reviews of Sharp TVs.

I'm saving up for a ultra HD tv on BF. Sony started rolling out the content already. http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/04/sony-video-ulimited-4k-video-...

I'm waiting for 12K

Anyone know of sales for 70"+ TVs besides this? I've been eyeing the 80" at Sam's Club but it's $3k+. Forgot the brand, sharp maybe.

robby69 said:   
Stranger 2 said:

99% of the time probably true, but as a home theater installer, I have run across a few people who bought as big as they thought they could fit. Then eventually while installing it, they say "I think it's to big [of a tv]." Not often, but it happens.  I thought the Imax theater I went to was to big for whatever movie, as I was panning my head left & right to try to see  the whole picture.

MeIsCheap said:   
robby69 said:   
Stranger 2 said:

99% of the time probably true, but as a home theater installer, I have run across a few people who bought as big as they thought they could fit. Then eventually while installing it, they say "I think it's to big [of a tv]." Not often, but it happens.  I thought the Imax theater I went to was to big for whatever movie, as I was panning my head left & right to try to see  the whole picture.

Agreed, but then your need to increase your viewing distance, even if it means knocking out a wall... never reduce the size of your TV.

MeIsCheap said:   
robby69 said:   
Stranger 2 said:

You just have to figure out the biggest you should get for how far you are going to sit from it before having a negative effect.

Just got this tv home. If you want a tv, find this and buy it...you will NOT regret it. It was about $1330 with tax. If you don't have a Wal-Mart credit card and have credit, apply and get 0% interest for 18 months (that's about $75 per month).

I haven't even touched a single setting and the picture out of the box is unbelievable.

megachacker said:   Just got this tv home. If you want a tv, find this and buy it...you will NOT regret it. It was about $1330 with tax. If you don't have a Wal-Mart credit card and have credit, apply and get 0% interest for 18 months (that's about $75 per month).

I haven't even touched a single setting and the picture out of the box is unbelievable.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1350285/official-sharp-2011-lc-70le735u-owners-thread/360

Their store inventory check is weird. If I use my zip with a 50 mile radius I get "Not available in your area". If I use a different zip a little further away my closest store (approx 10 miles from me) says "Available for pickup on 9/12". A couple of stores that are right around 35 miles away also only show up (with pickup available today) on the search that's over 45 miles from the further zip. Strange.

in for 2...thanks OP!

Good buy EP, you won't regret it. There was two at the store where I bought mine at 7:45pm at night. When I got home inventory checker showed none. I'll bet my life the employee who helped me out who said "This is a badass tv man" went back and bought it. $1248 plus their 10% savings is a GREAT deal for them. I don't see any within a 500 mile radius of where I live now. Some 600u's available about 200 miles away and they're only $998! But everything on AVS Forum says the 600u is crap compared to the 640u.

Skipping 2 Messages...
I had to return one.  It was a display, sold as new (and wasn't in very good shap).  My brother got the good one and I'm out.  They did offer me the 80" for $2100 but it was more than I wanted to spend.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014