• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

Logitech UE Smart Radio Black
Disclaimer
$99 is the lowest price by far that I've seen a Logitech UE internet radiofrom Amazon. The catch is they now show as OOS BUT you can still place your order. So, hot deal if you're willing to be patient for them to come back in stock. Look to the 'more buying choices' on the right side of the site to order direct from Amazon for $99 instead of the $159 from the 3rd party sellers.

I have two of these and love them. Battery powered, seemless iTunes integration, good sound, perfect for parties and, most importantly, can be switched from Logitech's UE interface back to the Squeezebox format. Why does that last one matter? 1) More features in SQBX than UE, 2) more 3rd party add-ons, 3) much better iOS/Android apps for SQBX than UE (Orange Squeeze is great), 4) works with all other SQBX items if you want to add to your network.

Link-o-Matic

Amazon
Get Up to 3.0% Cash Back in the Following Departments:
Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Hey folks - how do you pay by v.me at Crutchfield? I see a big button for Paypal, or regular checkout

(within the regular... (more)

17111711 (Sep. 26, 2013 @ 1:30a) |

hmm, it's right below the big PayPal and above the secure checkout.

newgun (Sep. 27, 2013 @ 6:56p) |

Thanks. Weird, could swear it wasn't there before. It worked for me with the $20 off code. Thanks all.

17111711 (Sep. 28, 2013 @ 1:14a) |

• Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

OP, have you found explicit instructions on how to change the firmware back to the Squeezebox one?

I have 2 squeezebox radios and love em - may considering getting another one for my office.

Same price at Crutchfield, available now, no tax most places and 1.5% CB. Logilink

Thanks, ordered one for a b/d present.

PuvMan said:   OP, have you found explicit instructions on how to change the firmware back to the Squeezebox one?

I have 2 squeezebox radios and love em - may considering getting another one for my office.

I dont have Squeezebox nor familiar with them but i did find this while googling around
http://logitech-en-amr.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/37994/~/revert-a-converted-logitech-ue-smart-radio-back-to-the-original-squeezebox
Check it out and see if that's the answer that you were looking for.
Nice find OP

You don't have to sell me on Squeezebox. I own one of the originals and it is the possibly the best and most useful audio equipment I have boughten in 40+ years of the hobby. I'm still steamed at Logitech for buying, then abandoning Squeezebox.

Quick question-is it possible to hook a Squeezebox radio up as a source in an audio system (ie, use it as a Squeezebox)? If so I'm all over this for use in another room.

Looks awesome. Apparently it can't use the Amazon cloud player though which would have been huge for me.

If only they'd bring back the Touch. I still don't understand why they discontinued it.

WalterGuy said:   You don't have to sell me on Squeezebox. I own one of the originals and it is the possibly the best and most useful audio equipment I have boughten in 40+ years of the hobby. I'm still steamed at Logitech for buying, then abandoning Squeezebox.

Quick question-is it possible to hook a Squeezebox radio up as a source in an audio system (ie, use it as a Squeezebox)? If so I'm all over this for use in another room.

Yes, sort of. I have used the headphone jackoutput into my aux audio system a couple times - it works fine but isn't as aestheitcally nice as a Squeezebox unit itself. It does not have RCA/Toslink or other outputs.

As for the question of reverting to the original Squeezebox firmware instead of using the UE firmware, it takes about 5 minutes and is Logitech-approved.Just connect your UE to wifi, update to the newest UE firmware (if needed), then go to settings-advanced-firmware-'switch to Squeezebox'. After it reboots you have the SB firmware installed. Easy.

WalterGuy said:   You don't have to sell me on Squeezebox. I own one of the originals and it is the possibly the best and most useful audio equipment I have boughten in 40+ years of the hobby. I'm still steamed at Logitech for buying, then abandoning Squeezebox.

You could use the headphone out....but that wouldn't be ideal.
What I would do is get a cheap android TV dongle - of course this requires that you have a free HDMI input on your receiver.

Then install this app, SqueezePlayer:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.bluegaspode.squ...

You don't have a screen to see what is playing this way, but if you're using an android/iphone app to control your squeezebox system, its not really necessary.

I have two Squeezebox radios and have been looking for a third for the third room. Syncing these up across different rooms is awesome. Streaming my entire mp3 collection from my home server is awesome too. Thanks OP!

Can this go to Tunein Radio or allow you to listen to international radio stations such as those from the Far East?

alohashirt said:   Same price at Crutchfield, available now, no tax most places and 1.5% CB. Logilink

They are showing out of stock too.

I bought the C Crane transmitter awhile back,
Streams anything (iTunes, Internet Radio, MP3, etc) from pc.
I use it to stream foreign radio stations (usually from England)
to radios in & outside of house. Streams to a "regular" radio.

There is a hack to increase range if interested.................

C Crane

these things were iffy before the advent of tablets, now they're completely a waste of time and money. I wouldn't pay $30 bux. JMO.

YankeeRedneck said:   I bought the C Crane transmitter awhile back,
Streams anything (iTunes, Internet Radio, MP3, etc) from pc.
I use it to stream foreign radio stations (usually from England)
to radios in & outside of house. Streams to a "regular" radio.

There is a hack to increase range if interested.................

C Crane

This is exactly what I run my Squeezebox into. Works great. If you put the transmitter up high enough you can cover quite a bit of territory.

Mine shipped already and will receive tomorrow, ordered on the 6th.

Looking forward to it, thanks OP

SoCal1 said:   
alohashirt said:   Same price at Crutchfield, available now, no tax most places and 1.5% CB. Logilink

They are showing out of stock too.

never mind - can order buy out of sdtock

Gotta admit this thing is really cool and totally worth the $99. Highly recommend if only to listen to Pandora

FYI to use Spotify you have to have the Spotify premium membership

I noticed it was in stock and shipping now. Sept. 12th, 2013

hakujin said:   these things were iffy before the advent of tablets, now they're completely a waste of time and money. I wouldn't pay $30 bux. JMO.
Don't agree, at least in my setup. I've got 6 tablets, 3 apple, 3 android and just got the Logitech UE. It's nice to have a good sounding speaker that doesn't depend on an external CPU, whether a PC or tablet to access Internet radio streams. Just set it and it keeps on playing with no toying around with it. With a tablet I had to constantly babysit the stream, with interruptions when getting notifications, although it can capably play superior to the Logitech unit with my big jambox. But to each his own.

This thread inpsired me to look up the Squeezebox classic and touch on Amazon. They are listed at $600-700. I bought my classic about five years ago for $150. What to go, Logitech.

Both are back in stock, again, for now. Have the original and a Boom. Love them both. Highly recommended. I wish they made one like the Boom though. Maybe this is the beginning of a clearance for a new model? or the beginng of the end?

hakujin said:   these things were iffy before the advent of tablets, now they're completely a waste of time and money. I wouldn't pay $30 bux. JMO.

For how I use my squeezebox radio on the nightstand, to listen to music before bed, I have to respectfully disagree with the above statement. The key feature for me is that it has a built in amp, paired with a very nice sounding speaker (admittedly mono). It also has a lot of physical controls that make using it quicker. Sometimes it's nice to have a unit that focuses on one thing and does it better than a multi-purpose device

If I were to use a tablet sitting in a dock on the night stand, it would be able to stream all the same audio sources just as well, but the built in tablet speaker would sound horribly weak and tinny compared to the really good sounding speaker on the squeezebox radio. Complete apples and oranges in terms of sound quality.

If I were to output the tablet's audio to some sort of bluetooth speaker on the nightstand, or hook up its phones jack to some small integrated audio amp and separate passive speaker, I'd have a huge mess of gear and cables on my small nightstand, that would never fit and would look like a mess. With the Squeezebox radio, it's one single unit that physically looks very nice and sounds good. That matters when its used in a place like a bedroom or living room.

The other big advantage is lots of physical hardware controls, while listening, that you'd never get with a tablet. For example:

-Walk into the bedroom with a load of laundry to put away, literally one single press of one of the 6 hardware preset buttons turns on the unit and start playing that preset. I can start listening to a news radio station with literally one button press, on a tablet it would be quite a few presses to turn it on, go to an app, select a stream, etc. Same at night when reading in bed, one single press of preset #2 button starts playing (on my unit) the Pandora "singer songwriter essentials" station. Quick and easy

-Turn volume up/down while lying in bed reading, just reach over and twist the physical volume knob

-Listening to Pandora while reading in bed and don't like the song that came on, reach over and tap the physical "skip forward" button and it goes to the next song. Can be done without looking at the unit from feel.

At $99 it's also a cheaper solution than a tablet and some sort of speaker dock. Figure $150 for a decent tablet and another $50-$100 for a speaker dock that sounds halfway decent, and you're at twice the price for something that still has the disadvantages mentioned above. To be fair, that solution does give you a while tablet you can go use for other things.

In 4 1

danielmsteinberg said:   
At $99 it's also a cheaper solution than a tablet and some sort of speaker dock. Figure $150 for a decent tablet and another $50-$100 for a speaker dock that sounds halfway decent, and you're at twice the price for something that still has the disadvantages mentioned above. To be fair, that solution does give you a while tablet you can go use for other things.

Well written, but moderately hyperbolic 1st, a tablet can be more fitting on the nightstand, not only at this, but a plethora of other functions, inc. SoundStream mastered lullabies and varietal sleep well static (my personal favorite). IMO, this isn't a matter of which is better but how much.

To 2nd point, there was recently a deal here for an Urge Sound Brick (BT) for ~$30. Phenomenal when tethered via BT to phone or tablet, includes mic, hardware keys, and dare I say way more versatile than this Squeezebox with equal or better SQ?!

To the other anecdotal examples, I more readily posit practical scenarios where the already web browsing tablet is entirely less cumbersome to play audio than fumbling about this 'ADDITIONAL' contraption. This is based on the assumption that a music player isn't the be-all end-all (in bed) but a tablet can be in most areas is (e.g. music, book, current events, facebook,shopping, work, twitter, fatwallet browsing, finance, video streamer, learning tool, etc. etc.). Less is more.

Turn volume down? The tablet is presumably in your hand (not this box) w/ hardware vol keys and the Urge brick I just mentioned has hw vol keys; complete non-issue. As an aside, loud audio in bedroom at night seems counter intuitive, so I'm thinking headphones anyway. Win: tablet. Urge fits well into a picnic basket too for beach, park, what have you, Win: Urge.

Again... tactile feedback of Pandora as a feature? I disagree. Maybe in 2008/09 At present, the tablet/sp is already in our palms sir, sadly inseperable, like a sewed on prosthetic!

I'll concede tactile keys are particularly useful for active sports where looking at a screen can be quite cumbersome. I subscribe on the trail (ala Sandisk clip), just not in the bedroom.

To last point: cheaper is all relative, esp. were redundancy is concerned. Isn't it fair to assume you/most have either tablet or a smartphone mobile? I do. If one does not, and can't afford 30 more dollars for a HiSense Sero Pro at WalMart, then yes I guess I can maybe see the point, but this thing has a myopic demographic for sure. Impulse buy, wears off. I used to have a cool alarm clock radio that streamed my music via SMB, didn't really use it much, sold it, now have OLD ipad2 in its place.
Given this is a SQUEEZEBOX thread of cognitive dissonance, I expect RED!

$80 now with v.me coupon.

newgun said:   $80 now with v.me coupon.

How did you get this to work on Amazon? I can see it working on Crutchfield but it won't let me order, OOS.

Only worked with Crutchfield. It was in stock.

In stock at Crutchfield again, not sure whether v.me still works.

Just ordered at Crutchfield for $79.99 - thanks for the heads up guys!

I now have:
(3) Radios (including this UE one - which I will 'downgrade' to Squeezebox)
(1) Touch
(1) Squeezebox Classic
(1) Squeezebox Duet

And a bunch of "hacked" devices - SqueezePlay on my PCs, a couple hacked PogoPlugs running archlinux with a SqueezeClient plug in, a couple android tv dongles running SqueezePlayer, along with my phone and tablet with SqueezePlayer installed.

Now if only there were a way to get Google Music (All Access) to work on these bad boys!

newgun said:   In stock at Crutchfield again, not sure whether v.me still works.

$20 off $50+ with V.me checkout and code USEVME expires on 10-01-2013.

How does this compare to sonos? Tks.

actiontec23 said:   How does this compare to sonos? Tks.
Just my opinion - if you are not already invested in a Logitech/Squeezebox distributed audio solution, don't get in now. Squeezebox is no longer being developed by Logitech, and given the pricing on this UE radio, it appears they may be abandoning the products all together.... again, this is just my opinion and I have not researched to come up with an educated answer.

That said - Sonos is A LOT more expensive, but I have no experience with their devices. For detailed comparisons, google has some good results.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=sonos+vs+squeezebox
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=sonos+vs+ue+smart+radio

UE Smart Radio has a problem playing Spotify (try the top 100), many tracks are flagged as "not authroized to play in your region", apparently a bug since they are all fine in all of my other devices (PC, iPad, Androids, and Squeezebox Boom using Logitech Media Server with 3rd party plugin). Googleing around, this has been going on for more than a year and Logitech has not had a fix for it. They also removed the ability to stream podcast (there is a workaround if you really want it). You can switch back to the Squeenzebox firmware.

$80 is still not a bad deal, even with the drawbacks.

dupe

can get a phone for 80 without these drawbacks. this thing is an oversized paper weight

Skipping 3 Messages...
newgun said:   hmm, it's right below the big PayPal and above the secure checkout.
Thanks. Weird, could swear it wasn't there before. It worked for me with the $20 off code. Thanks all.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014