• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

Best Buy
See Best Buy coupons that earn 1.5% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

Lenovo IdeaPad 11.6" Convertible Touchscreen Laptop
Thanks Valtron9000
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I would put "Yoga" and "Windows RT" in the title or description.

It is a good price for Yoga 11 since scratch/dent is the same price from Lenovo Outlet. However, I'm playing now with Surface RT with free keyboard I've got for $200 during a recent eBay deal and not sure that even $200 is a good price for any RT machine. Apps store is the only place to get software, and it is full of useless crap. Don't get me wrong - I think Yoga 11 is superior to Surface RT, but higher $200s is the max you want to pay for any 64GB RT device with a keyboard today to say "I've got a good deal".

77Rus said:   It is a good price for Yoga 11 since scratch/dent is the same price from Lenovo Outlet. However, I'm playing now with Surface RT with free keyboard I've got for $200 during a recent eBay deal and not sure that even $200 is a good price for any RT machine. Apps store is the only place to get software, and it is full of useless crap. Don't get me wrong - I think Yoga 11 is superior to Surface RT, but higher $200s is the max you want to pay for any 64GB RT device with a keyboard today to say "I've got a good deal".
  What did you need to do with your device that RT fell short on?  Specifics will help people.  I do think they (RT devices in general) are worth the price personally, but everyone's uses are different.

Here is my personal take on Windows RT - I got the $200 surface rt / touch cover bundle to play with
- there are definitely not as many apps as android and apple, but I personally find that anything that I really need is there, and everything else I can do on the web
- I like having a full desktop web browser. the browser has full flash support which is nice.
- I find having windows explorer, etc on the mobile device is nice because my brain is so used to using these things on windows that it makes it easy for me to use the mobile device.
- for video streaming - The modern UI native Plex client works very well with no skipping on my local network; there are a few other apps that claim to be able to play mkv's but I have not really tried them yet. kickstand is nice for video watching
- For me, the biggest issue is that there is no cisco anyconnect support for windows RT currently, and also there is a bug in the citrix receiver client that prevents the citrix web interface from working properly (citrix is fixing this supposedly). So I have a mobile device from Microsoft that essentially does not allow me to efficiently remote into the office.
- Logmein does work using the flash client for remote access - I end up having to use this
- overall the speed of the device is fine
definitely if they had a functional citrix / anyconnect client I would be happier with it.
I have a few other comparable devices:
- ipad 3 with retina and Logitech thin keyboard
- asus transformer 700t with dock
- asus x202 touchscreen 11.6" laptop
- samsung chromebook with ubuntu installed

Unless you are really into the whole yoga fold back screen thing, I think that the Asus X202 / S200e / Q200 (all the same) 11.6" touchscreen win 8 laptops are a better choice, and these computers are regularly in the $300-$350 range. The yoga is basically the same weight as the Asus, so no size advantage.

I suppose that you could say that the yoga would be quieter (prob has no fan) and of course has better battery life, but for the same price you get a fully functional windowS PC with the asus

With the surface RT at $200 with cover, at least you get a significant weight reduction over any other windows device, and the hardware really is nicely built with the kickstand and all. I think that once they fix the citrix client I will find this device very useful

Anyway that is my rant re: windows RT - I will try to answer any questions that are posted about it

Here is my personal take on Windows RT - I got the $200 surface rt / touch cover bundle to play with
- there are definitely not as many apps as android and apple, but I personally find that anything that I really need is there, and everything else I can do on the web
- I like having a full desktop web browser. the browser has full flash support which is nice.
- I find having windows explorer, etc on the mobile device is nice because my brain is so used to using these things on windows that it makes it easy for me to use the mobile device.
- for video streaming - The modern UI native Plex client works very well with no skipping on my local network; there are a few other apps that claim to be able to play mkv's but I have not really tried them yet. kickstand is nice for video watching
- For me, the biggest issue is that there is no cisco anyconnect support for windows RT currently, and also there is a bug in the citrix receiver client that prevents the citrix web interface from working properly (citrix is fixing this supposedly). So I have a mobile device from Microsoft that essentially does not allow me to efficiently remote into the office.
- Logmein does work using the flash client for remote access - I end up having to use this
- overall the speed of the device is fine
definitely if they had a functional citrix / anyconnect client I would be happier with it.
I have a few other comparable devices:
- ipad 3 with retina and Logitech thin keyboard
- asus transformer 700t with dock
- asus x202 touchscreen 11.6" laptop
- samsung chromebook with ubuntu installed

Unless you are really into the whole yoga fold back screen thing, I think that the Asus X202 / S200e / Q200 (all the same) 11.6" touchscreen win 8 laptops are a better choice, and these computers are regularly in the $300-$350 range. The yoga is basically the same weight as the Asus, so no size advantage.

I suppose that you could say that the yoga would be quieter (prob has no fan) and of course has better battery life, but for the same price you get a fully functional windowS PC with the asus

With the surface RT at $200 with cover, at least you get a significant weight reduction over any other windows device, and the hardware really is nicely built with the kickstand and all. I think that once they fix the citrix client I will find this device very useful

Anyway that is my rant re: windows RT - I will try to answer any questions that are posted about it

mase123987 said:   
77Rus said:   It is a good price for Yoga 11 since scratch/dent is the same price from Lenovo Outlet. However, I'm playing now with Surface RT with free keyboard I've got for $200 during a recent eBay deal and not sure that even $200 is a good price for any RT machine. Apps store is the only place to get software, and it is full of useless crap. Don't get me wrong - I think Yoga 11 is superior to Surface RT, but higher $200s is the max you want to pay for any 64GB RT device with a keyboard today to say "I've got a good deal".
  What did you need to do with your device that RT fell short on?  Specifics will help people.  I do think they (RT devices in general) are worth the price personally, but everyone's uses are different.

You are very right when you say that uses are different for diffrent folks.A major thing for me is to VPN into my work computer using Juniper VPN client. I can do that even on my old crappy iPad since Junos Pulse is free from Apple Store (and is free for Android as well). RT is out of luck, no Juniper for RT.Another major blow - Java. Java doesn't run on RT, at least not fully, and I need it for work. Adobe Reader app I have found in App store is horrible to navigate, a regular Adobe Reader is 100 times better that that joke. There is something that called Adobe Photoshop free, but it is like a free android application that calls itself "Photoshop". i see now why this thing is being returned back to stores like crazy and why MS had that $900,000,000 write off of RT tablets. To say that this mobile phone like thing provides Windows like experience - they had to be dreaming. My out of pocket price for it was $192 with free keyboard, and even now I'm not sure that I like it for the money. Keyboard - yes, Word - yes, but what about the rest for the working folks?
We were talking about Yoga for around $400 tax included. Cmon, for $400 you can get a real Windows 8 tablet and don't have to be a beta tester for a platform that is already abandoned.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014