• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
The Galaxy S2 for VM has been listed on RS website for $199.99 the last few weeks, but available in store only. Went into local store last night to pick one up and I was surprised to see price tag of $149.99. Unfortunately, they did not have it in stock even though "Find It In Store" showed they had it in stock. Guy mentioned that somebody bought 7 of them 2 days ago.

I know the cardinal rule is NEVER to call, but I did not have the time to drive around looking for it.†Tonight, I called a few stores that showed in stock according to "Find It in Store". I asked "Do you have the Galaxy S2 for Virgin Mobile?". At one store, they answered "Yes, but it is out of stock. We should be getting more tomorrow." At another store, they answered "Yes - but it is a customer return. Wait, I have another one that is good." Asked him to hold it for me, and I went and picked it up. Of course they tried to sell me extended warranty, headphones, memory card, batteries, etc - but they didn't push too hard.

Link††for reference, and Find It In Store lookup. If you go the the RS mobile site, you can see the $149.99 price. Not sure if this is pure coincidence, but the store where I got the phone did not have "Free Ship-To-Store" listed on the In Store Availability page while the ones that did have "Free Ship-To-Store" listed did not actually have it (or so they claimed).

Member Summary

Virgin Mobile Samsung Galaxy S II (Titanium)
Thanks Valtron9000
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I too have found this deal and it seems that this is a good deal, but in this aspect I was little lucky as one of my friends has bought the same for $199 a few days ago.

Good deal, and what's great is that it can be used on Page Plus!

Wow and Rat Shack didn't force you to activate it there?

Doggone it... all but one are sold out around here. I'd like to have known it earlier where I could buy several and flip them!

A Virgin Mobile phone can be used on Page Plus?

forbin4040 said:   Wow and Rat Shack didn't force you to activate it there?
††
Sorry... meant to quote you. Is it possible to really use this Virgin Mobile phone on Page Plus? If so, how?

Can it be unlocked?

forbin4040 said:   Wow and Rat Shack didn't force you to activate it there?
They did ask about activating, but I told†them I was sending the phone to my son in college and he needed to port his current number into VM. They went through their entire up sell song and dance, but they weren't too pushy about it. I realize that they have a job to do, and I just politely declined everything.

I like 'sell song and dance'

jessesally said:   Can it be unlocked?
mrstangblb said:   
Is it possible to really use this Virgin Mobile phone on Page Plus? If so, how?

Unlock is not applicable. This is a CDMA phone.

To use a VM phone on Page Plus, you would need to flash it. Google "flash Virgin Mobile to page plus". I flashed a VM HTC One V (from Nov/Dec 2012 deal) to use on PP - but I only have calling and texting fully working. To get 3G data to work you need a "donor" phone. There is somebody mentioned on howard forums that was doing it for free. You could also pay a flashing service to do a "partial" or "full" flash.

Ironically, my son is currently on PP but his phone (Samsung Fascinate) is acting up. Bought it as "New - Other" from eBay this past Christmas. With brand new VM phones in the $100 - $150 range (Ring and S2), it was hard to justify spending close to that to find replacement hardware to use on PP.
††

Struck out

That inventory checker is phooey.† According to it every store in my area has one.† When u get to the store the csr will tell you that they sold out days ago.
Of course, with a big eBay smile on their face!!

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014