• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
need an apk for this

shorthairptr said:   Been a JotNot user but for free decided to download CamScanner (iphone) to see the differences. So far the only difference I see from CamScanner free vs pro is no ads. They still want you to upgrade for $4.99 per month or $49.99 year for true pro features...
  
You are confusing Pro with Premium:

"Free version is an ad-supported version and scanned documents are generated with watermark. Cloud Storage services - Evernote, SkyDrive are available for 7 days, plus a limit of 30 pages for annotations

Pro version is ad-free, adds no watermarks, allows unlimited annotations, and allots an extra 200M of cloud storage space" (it looks like Pro nets you 400M of cloud storage)

As far as I can tell, the only difference with Premium is that it, in addition to the above, it has a monthly/annual fee which provides an extra 10G cloud space. The language about other Premium features is very unclear in how they differ from Pro, so I'd have to look into it more. [ETA: reviewers on the Android version report that all you get for buying the $5 Premium app is the extra storage space and a monthly fee, all other features are the same as Pro. So free lifetime access to Pro seems like a much better deal if only to get rid of ads, but getting no watermarks, unlimited annotations, and doubled to 400M are great too. There are too many free cloud storage options to pay for the Premium version just for that.]

BTW, I just found a VERY basic user manual that I'm going to add to the QS.
 

Been using this for years... LOVE IT.  Take pics of receipts, save as pdf's and email to myself for expense reports.
I paid ~$5 bucks for it back then... worth every penny.  Frequent, pertinent updates.  Great post OP.

jackindy said:   I have used Camscanner on my android for some time. I do not recall having to login to an account to take pictures, edit, and send to my email account as pdf. So, now that I have completed these steps for CamScanner Pro, it says to "keep your account logged in to enjoy it." Also says, "To use Pro Features, please open CamScanner tree version on your mobile and log in to your account." Where/how do I log in to use this app? When I open this app on my cell phone, I do not see a place to log in. I has a banner in the right corner that says "Lite."
  You have the old Lite version like I did.  I don't see any advantage to upgrade.  That Lite version scanned without watermarks, saved to .pdf, and sent to email or saved on phone.  And there were no ads.
I upgraded and I wish I hadn't, since I have to keep logged in now.

To answer your question, you don't have any option to log in with the old Lite version.  And Google Playstore won't upgrade it.   If you want to "upgrade" to this Pro version you have to uninstall your Lite version and then install the latest version.   Again, I wish I hadn't now.

Awesome thanks OP

--Big Coop

ForSpud said:   
jackindy said:   I have used Camscanner on my android for some time. I do not recall having to login to an account to take pictures, edit, and send to my email account as pdf. So, now that I have completed these steps for CamScanner Pro, it says to "keep your account logged in to enjoy it." Also says, "To use Pro Features, please open CamScanner tree version on your mobile and log in to your account." Where/how do I log in to use this app? When I open this app on my cell phone, I do not see a place to log in. I has a banner in the right corner that says "Lite."
  You have the old Lite version like I did.  I don't see any advantage to upgrade.  That Lite version scanned without watermarks, saved to .pdf, and sent to email or saved on phone.  And there were no ads.
I upgraded and I wish I hadn't, since I have to keep logged in now.

To answer your question, you don't have any option to log in with the old Lite version.  And Google Playstore won't upgrade it.   If you want to "upgrade" to this Pro version you have to uninstall your Lite version and then install the latest version.   Again, I wish I hadn't now.

  
That makes so much sense. Thanks for such great info. I'm sure it'll save some people a lot of frustration.

fivetalents said:   
ForSpud said:   
jackindy said:   I have used Camscanner on my android for some time. I do not recall having to login to an account to take pictures, edit, and send to my email account as pdf. So, now that I have completed these steps for CamScanner Pro, it says to "keep your account logged in to enjoy it." Also says, "To use Pro Features, please open CamScanner tree version on your mobile and log in to your account." Where/how do I log in to use this app? When I open this app on my cell phone, I do not see a place to log in. I has a banner in the right corner that says "Lite."
  You have the old Lite version like I did.  I don't see any advantage to upgrade.  That Lite version scanned without watermarks, saved to .pdf, and sent to email or saved on phone.  And there were no ads.
I upgraded and I wish I hadn't, since I have to keep logged in now.

To answer your question, you don't have any option to log in with the old Lite version.  And Google Playstore won't upgrade it.   If you want to "upgrade" to this Pro version you have to uninstall your Lite version and then install the latest version.   Again, I wish I hadn't now.

  
That makes so much sense. Thanks for such great info. I'm sure it'll save some people a lot of frustration.

  =10ptWell, I received the caution from ForSpud about not upgrading from the Lite version a few minutes too late. I, too, wish that I had kept it because it was working just fine for me (no ads, etc., like ForSpud said). =10ptBut THANKS for some much needed clarification about the old Lite version I was using.

=10ptThese different versions are confusing. Please note that the screens in the android user manual uploaded by fivetalents in the Quick Summary are significantly different than the screens I see with the version I just downloaded: version 2.6.1.20130906.

I have used this app (free version) for a couple of years and love it! Thanks OP!

Can someone pls. clarify this for me - is OCR included in this or not? OCR was the only thing i was interested in. Thanks

jackindy said:   
  
Agreed. As I posted a few posts above yours, the manuals are 'VERY basic,' and that was being kind (LOL). Unfortunately, they are the only ones available on their site right now. Other than the FAQs in the QS, there are a different set of (more detailed) FAQs here.

Please go to "Settings" to log in.

Some golden nuggets from TOS (relevant excerpts, imo):

"INTSIG respects the privacy of each user and will protect your privacy and personal information in accordance with relevant Chinese laws and regulations. You need to read our Privacy Policy carefully which specifies how we treat your personal information."

"In order to enjoy our services, you agree to grant INTSIG, or third parties authorized by INTSIG, worldwide, irrevocable and free license to display, promote, process, maintain, store, duplicate or back up above information for the purpose of providing you with CamScanner services. You acknowledge and agree that INTSIG has the right to refuse transmitting, uploading, posting and publishing any information based on its own judgment."

"In terms of the information publicized, you agree to give INTSIG a perpetual worldwide, royalty-free and non-exclusive license to use, duplicate, adapt, modify, create derivative works, translate, disseminate and sublicense such contents. You also agree to grant INTSIG the right to bring an action, in the name of itself, against those who infringe the copyright of above information and get all the indemnification. Make sure you have the necessary authorization for granting us such license."

Enjoy the free software!

Since their web site refused to ever send me an activation email (after trying many times all day and evening), I finally decided to try a different email address--namely, my gmail. That quickly worked.

So my advice to anyone who never gets the activation email is to try a gmail address instead.

If you'd like to help out the ChiCom government, please scan sensitive industry and/or government documents with this software.

People are chumps when it comes to free stuff being dangled in their faces. There are plenty of scanning apps from companies that are reputable.

doublehelix747 said:   Some golden nuggets from TOS (relevant excerpts, imo):

"INTSIG respects the privacy of each user and will protect your privacy and personal information in accordance with relevant Chinese laws and regulations. You need to read our Privacy Policy carefully which specifies how we treat your personal information."

"In order to enjoy our services, you agree to grant INTSIG, or third parties authorized by INTSIG, worldwide, irrevocable and free license to display, promote, process, maintain, store, duplicate or back up above information for the purpose of providing you with CamScanner services. You acknowledge and agree that INTSIG has the right to refuse transmitting, uploading, posting and publishing any information based on its own judgment."

"In terms of the information publicized, you agree to give INTSIG a perpetual worldwide, royalty-free and non-exclusive license to use, duplicate, adapt, modify, create derivative works, translate, disseminate and sublicense such contents. You also agree to grant INTSIG the right to bring an action, in the name of itself, against those who infringe the copyright of above information and get all the indemnification. Make sure you have the necessary authorization for granting us such license."

Enjoy the free software!
 

This is standard.  Every online service will have a similar clause or they would could owe you money if you used their service.  If you did not give them this right, their service would be much more bland.  You are giving them a legal right to duplicate, adapt, modify, create derivative works, translate, disseminate and sublicense your data because otherwise your data would just sit there.  You would not be able to share with anyone else because in order to do so, their software has to provide a duplicate.  If you don't let them modify it, you cannot edit it or attach notes.  If you do not let them translate it, you cannot use the premium service to OCR it.  If you do not let them sublicense it, you cannot search for it as they must read your data, create metadata, and present it to you.  You did not create it so you are not the licensee of this new content, but CamScanner Peeps used your data, so you are the primary license holder, and they hold a sublicense on that metadata file.

When you upload.  You are using their property to modify your stuff.  They need your permission to do this. 

This is really only a problem if you met the Peeps running the show and don't like them very much.  If you sign up for their service, it is like you are accepting them as a friend. 

Be their friend or not.  It's your choice.  Revel in your freedom and all the rights afforded to you.

evernote has an inbuilt scanner (it corrects paper folds, corrects prespective and cleans paper textures) for the iPhone... its works very well and integrated into a evernote document library

worked for me thx

dtgm said:   This is standard.
  As an attorney, I can tell that it isn't "standard."  For one, you're agreeing to have the agreement enforced according to Chinese law.  Lotsa luck with that.  It means you have zero recourse.  Reputable companies would write an agreement that is held to the laws and customs of their customers' country.

Under this agreement, anything run through this service very likely goes straight to a communist government.  They couldn't give a shit about your purchase agreement for a house, and they'll happily sift through all of that to find the valuable nuggets that turn up.

People are incredibly naive about who has access to their data.  One would think that the last few months would have raised awareness a bit, but apparently not.
 

slickdeal45 said:   
dtgm said:   This is standard.
  As an attorney, I can tell that it isn't "standard."  For one, you're agreeing to have the agreement enforced according to Chinese law.  Lotsa luck with that.  It means you have zero recourse.  Reputable companies would write an agreement that is held to the laws and customs of their customers' country.

Under this agreement, anything run through this service very likely goes straight to a communist government.  They couldn't give a shit about your purchase agreement for a house, and they'll happily sift through all of that to find the valuable nuggets that turn up.

People are incredibly naive about who has access to their data.  One would think that the last few months would have raised awareness a bit, but apparently not.

  
The way you write it, it sounds almost as bad as the NSA.

I think your last sentence shows how we got to this point  and seem to be speeding past it as the news cycle turns.

thanks op

Love it. Thanks for telling us about it.
I now have it on my and my wife's phone as well as the tablet.

Seriously in this day and age, why do we need fax machines?
 

worked for me!! It was slow but it worked after I signed into the free version.

Please remember...if your scanned documents are of a sensitive/confidential nature, DO NOT UPGRADE TO THE PRO VERSION! Let me explain. Upgrading to the PRO version FORCES your app to sync documents to their servers (as well as remove ads/watermark). I find it VERY FISHY that they do not provide an option to disable/turn off the sync option in settings. Is it possible that someone monitoring their servers can read/see your scans. ABSOLUTELY! If you can live with the ads/watermarks AND need to scan sensitive documents, stay with the free version. Of course, your documents are always backed up via iCloud (Apple's servers) in either the free or pro versions, but can still be accessed by the NSA. However, I trust Apple and the NSA more than the owners of Camscanner to not leak my documents to the baddies out there. LOL.....

There are a bunch of other apps out there that do the same things this one does, without sharing your documents. Why not just use one of them instead?

janhallus said:   Suggest you carefully read their TOS - there is a clause in that huge document that they have the right to do whatever they want with your information. Several things in that document have led me to uninstall altogether.
  not only that, but I see certain uses of this glorified camera app not all they are cracked up to be. i can see a use for business cards, and a few other things (though maybe Google Keep fills in the gap there); but with receipts? Not if you need to provide the original at some point...

Not even worth the effort, imo.

As an aside; to those of you that hate ads all together on your mobile device, try ad-away (now hosted on fdroid repo); even eliminates ads on many free apps. 

cybercho said:   Please remember...if your scanned documents are of a sensitive/confidential nature, DO NOT UPGRADE TO THE PRO VERSION! Let me explain. Upgrading to the PRO version FORCES your app to sync documents to their servers (as well as remove ads/watermark). I find it VERY FISHY that they do not provide an option to disable/turn off the sync option in settings. Is it possible that someone monitoring their servers can read/see your scans. ABSOLUTELY! If you can live with the ads/watermarks AND need to scan sensitive documents, stay with the free version. Of course, your documents are always backed up via iCloud (Apple's servers) in either the free or pro versions, but can still be accessed by the NSA. However, I trust Apple and the NSA more than the owners of Camscanner to not leak my documents to the baddies out there. LOL.....
  good to know. probably scraping through data for consumer algos. i'll just scan, like I've always scanned, through an actual scanner. new doesn't always mean better.

jackindy said:   
fivetalents said:   
ForSpud said:   
jackindy said:   I have used Camscanner on my android for some time. I do not recall having to login to an account to take pictures, edit, and send to my email account as pdf. So, now that I have completed these steps for CamScanner Pro, it says to "keep your account logged in to enjoy it." Also says, "To use Pro Features, please open CamScanner tree version on your mobile and log in to your account." Where/how do I log in to use this app? When I open this app on my cell phone, I do not see a place to log in. I has a banner in the right corner that says "Lite."
  You have the old Lite version like I did.  I don't see any advantage to upgrade.  That Lite version scanned without watermarks, saved to .pdf, and sent to email or saved on phone.  And there were no ads.
I upgraded and I wish I hadn't, since I have to keep logged in now.

To answer your question, you don't have any option to log in with the old Lite version.  And Google Playstore won't upgrade it.   If you want to "upgrade" to this Pro version you have to uninstall your Lite version and then install the latest version.   Again, I wish I hadn't now.

  
That makes so much sense. Thanks for such great info. I'm sure it'll save some people a lot of frustration.

  =10ptWell, I received the caution from ForSpud about not upgrading from the Lite version a few minutes too late. I, too, wish that I had kept it because it was working just fine for me (no ads, etc., like ForSpud said). =10ptBut THANKS for some much needed clarification about the old Lite version I was using.

=10ptThese different versions are confusing. Please note that the screens in the android user manual uploaded by fivetalents in the Quick Summary are significantly different than the screens I see with the version I just downloaded: version 2.6.1.20130906.

  well, thanks, because I was going crazy looking where to log in.  but I think I messed it up now.  I have watermarks and ads and can't figure how to get rid of them.  still says lite version but I got an email that I've unlocked pro, although I can't understand where to get it.

in4two said:   Can someone pls. clarify this for me - is OCR included in this or not? OCR was the only thing i was interested in. Thanks
  

I needed OCR capabilities, and this app does offer it with the "premium" upgrade. I suggest you look in the App Store for the app called KK OCR.
It does a great job of converting a picture you take with your camera or a .pdf file into editable text. 
 

Thanks


CamScanner Pro
Disclaimer
Why does it show Basic in my account? Don't see Pro?
 

If all you need is OCR, Google Goggles can do it.



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014