• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
why are there no reds for not putting "with 2-yr contract" in the title? i see you guys cry over it ALL THE DAMN TIME in other phone threads...

tek2k said:   why are there no reds for not putting "with 2-yr contract" in the title? i see you guys cry over it ALL THE DAMN TIME in other phone threads...
 Because it is unthinkable latest iPhone selling for $79.99 w/o any contract. It is not some crappy andriod phone that you can get for $100 or even for $30 with no contract. 

5c is only $80? whoooooooaaaaaaa :O

slickdeal45 said:   
diggydoggy said:     here's the logic...

a 64gb iphone is 849 outright plus tax. if i buy through att, it is 399 plus 325 etf. that's 725. ive already saved a ton. and in regards to locked, both verizon and att iphone 5, 5s and 5c are all unlocked and with the new band on the phone, you can just hotswap sim cards and lte still works for them all... 

The phone is only sold unlocked if you buy it at the full price.  Subsidized phones are locked.

Before you decide to argue about this, you might want to spend five minutes reading about it.  You'll save yourself quite a bit of money and embarrassment.

Correct, except Verizon.  Their subsidized iPhones are sold unlocked.

megachacker said:   
robby69 said:   I am upgrading from a 4 to the 5S.. I will pay the extra $10 gladly not to have to set foot in WalMart.
(pre-order on AT&T upgrades website, get it next Friday delivered to my home)

You're clearly missing a main point of the 5s release...there's no preorder.  The preorder is for the 5c only.  If you want a 5s you'll be stepping foot in Wal-Mart, or Best Buy, or your local ATT store or somewhere if you want it (and most likely standing in a long ass line and possibly not even getting one if you don't stand in line).  Or order it on the 20th and get it who knows when.

Agreed, did miss that initially.. But, I will still order it on AT&T website on 9/20... How many 5S's do you think a local store will have the first day with the limited quantity Apple has on release date?   Supposedly Apply has 5-mil 5S ready to do with 28-mil ramp up during the 4th quarter in time for xmas..  Got to give it to them, get everyone wanting something that's in fake short demand, then all of a sudden meet that artificial demand.

Does WalMart sell these starting at midnight on the 20th?

Great!+1

uafgrad said:   Does WalMart sell these starting at midnight on the 20th?
  I believe every retailer will sell these at 8am (your time).  That's what the Apple website says and an email they sent out (if you got it).  Probably everyone with iTunes got sent that email.  This is actually what the email said:

"Buy iPhone 5s from the Apple Online Store
after 12:01 a.m. PST on September 20. Or visit
your favorite Apple Retail Store starting
at 8:00 a.m. on September 20.
Learn more about iPhone 5s"

nosoupforme said:   No I will see even more 9 year olds with iphones
  In shiny colors of their choosing too!

nintendonly said:   
DelCheapo said:   Anyone know if 5S will be available from WalMart on Straight Talk at release?
  Probably a few months after release, as usual with new phones.

can i buy iphone 5 now wtih Straight Talk from WalMart , if so i pay the full price for the phone righ like 600 +- $ ?

lapchaser said:   
nintendonly said:   
DelCheapo said:   Anyone know if 5S will be available from WalMart on Straight Talk at release?

can i buy iphone 5 now wtih Straight Talk from WalMart , if so i pay the full price for the phone righ like 600 +- $ ?

From OP: Buyers who prefer an unlocked iPhone can purchase the iPhone 5 for $549 and the iPhone 4 for $349 through WalMart's Straight Talk prepaid plan. Both represent a savings of $100 from the previous price and will be available to customers starting Saturday. 

I believe WalMart is the only store in CA that charges tax on the sales price, not the retail price of ~ $650 (5s 16gb example)so that is another $36 in saving if your tax rate is 8%. Does anyone know is ATT or apple charge the $36 upgrade fee that gets added to your first bill, if they do not its a wash.

edchav said:   I believe WalMart is the only store in CA that charges tax on the sales price, not the retail price of ~ $650 (5s 16gb example)so that is another $36 in saving if your tax rate is 8%. Does anyone know is ATT or apple charge the $36 upgrade fee that gets added to your first bill, if they do not its a wash.
  At&t charges the fee unless you have Premier Status.  They call it an "activation" fee.

I'm an Apple fan, but I'm somewhat disappointed with the incremental improvements in their recent product releases. Anyone think if it's worth it to wait for Samsung Galaxy S5? Any guess when Samsung will release their next Galaxy?

vanlikefriends said:   I'm an Apple fan, but I'm somewhat disappointed with the incremental improvements in their recent product releases. Anyone think if it's worth it to wait for Samsung Galaxy S5? Any guess when Samsung will release their next Galaxy?

Not to defend Apple, but what were you expecting?  They've followed a well-established product cycle for several years now.  It's predictable, and it's designed to enourage people who bought two or more cycles ago to upgrade.  Samsung and other vendors aren't terribly different from this, just as one car manufacturer isn't terribly different from another.

This is the nature of the phone business, now.  Everyone is selling essentially the same thing--yes, they've got different OSes, different screen sizes, different physical sizes, and different ecosystems, but when it gets right down to it none of the major players truly distinguish themselves.  That goes for iOS, Android, and Windows devices.  They all basically let you do the same things.  One can argue about which does what better, but that's mostly people who are overly invested emotionally in their device.  For most people, there isn't a lot of difference.  Great leaps simply do not happen that often.

So how do you chose?  Depends on what is most important to you.  For me, my work e-mail client works best with iOS.  I like how my Macs, my iPad, and my iPhone keep everything in sync between them without me doing anything.  I've had an iPhone since 2008, so I've got some money invested in a lot of different apps, too.  I share my AppleID with my wife, so she's able to benefit from my purchase.  Our calendars are shared between our two different iCloud accounts, so we're always on the same page with scheduling things.  We've got an AppleTV, which makes it dead easy to have folks with iPhones share their photos and videos--that's particularly nice when getting together with friends and family we haven't seen for a while.  It's easy enough that everyone can share what they've been up to, and it's a lot of fun, too.

For me, it's not so much about which device I have--it's entirely about what I can do with it.  I've got a 4S, and I'll probably keep it for a while yet.  I've got big hands, but I can't use something the size of a GS4 one-handed, which is important to me.  If Apple ups the screen size on the iPhone 6 in a year, I'll think about picking up a 5S before they're gone.

nintendonly said:   
Agr8RN said:   Anyone know if WalMart sells iPhones for Verizon? I tried looking on the site, but didn't have any luck finding a real answer. Thanks
Not all stores are the same, and they typically only carry 3 out of the 4 major carriers. Just as an example, my store has AT&T|T-Mobile|Verizon, and the WalMart 8 miles down the road from mine has T-Mobile|Sprint|Verizon.

Call your local stores up to find out.

Thanks!

Just as an FYI. If upfront cost is what everybody is interested in. Tmobile will sell Iphone 5c for $0 down with service. You can pre-order right now. According to Tmonews, 5S will be $100.

mistadeal said:   
lapchaser said:   
nintendonly said:   

From OP: Buyers who prefer an unlocked iPhone can purchase the iPhone 5 for $549 and the iPhone 4 for $349 through WalMart 's Straight Talk  prepaid plan. Both represent a savings of $100 from the previous price and will be available to customers starting Saturday. 

Curious, does ST sell nano-sims?  I only see micro and regular SIMS (AT&T compatible) on their website.  

This is true....already notified it was added to kid's b-day list.

dukerau said:   
slickdeal45 said:   
diggydoggy said:     here's the logic...

a 64gb iphone is 849 outright plus tax. if i buy through att, it is 399 plus 325 etf. that's 725. ive already saved a ton. and in regards to locked, both verizon and att iphone 5, 5s and 5c are all unlocked and with the new band on the phone, you can just hotswap sim cards and lte still works for them all... 

The phone is only sold unlocked if you buy it at the full price.  Subsidized phones are locked.

Before you decide to argue about this, you might want to spend five minutes reading about it.  You'll save yourself quite a bit of money and embarrassment.

Correct, except Verizon.  Their subsidized iPhones are sold unlocked.

Didn't I read somewhere that it was unlawful to lock 4G LTE?  In any event WM adds it's own ETF like most other 3rd party mobile stores...

dpid said:   
mistadeal said:   
lapchaser said:   
nintendonly said:   

From OP: Buyers who prefer an unlocked iPhone can purchase the iPhone 5 for $549 and the iPhone 4 for $349 through WalMart   's Straight Talk    prepaid plan. Both represent a savings of $100 from the previous price and will be available to customers starting Saturday. 

Curious, does ST sell nano-sims?  I only see micro and regular SIMS (AT&T compatible) on their website.  

ST today announced support for 4G LTE under AT&T.  They started selling 4G micro-sims for $7.  You can cut it...

megachacker said:   
uafgrad said:   Does WalMart sell these starting at midnight on the 20th?
  I believe every retailer will sell these at 8am (your time).  That's what the Apple website says and an email they sent out (if you got it).  Probably everyone with iTunes got sent that email.  This is actually what the email said:

"Buy iPhone 5s from the Apple Online Store
after 12:01 a.m. PST on September 20. Or visit
your favorite Apple Retail Store starting
at 8:00 a.m. on September 20.
Learn more about iPhone 5s"

That is just talking about Apple retail stores, which do open at 8:00am.  Sprint opens at 7:00am for example.

3 things if Apple wamts to keep iphone alive:

1.Get rid of itune.
2.Replaceable battery.
3.Support SD card

Because of greed they did not want to do it.

None of those things matter to me. Speak for yourself, as those are concerns that passed by the wayside years ago.

FYI - I bought two iphone 5 ($98 each) and a 4s ($40) 9/5. I printed out the Cnet article and went back today  and requested price adjustment (roll of the dice since there seems to be no formal WalMart price adjustment policy on the website and technically these are being closed out).  The electronics mgr had no knowledge of the $100 gift card.  They knew of the price change but any refund would require altering the AT&T contract with phone serial numbers etc.  She took the copy of the article to her mgr and came back with choice of $100 WalMart gift card or WalMart  gift card for the difference in the phone (approx $80). I took the $100 gift card and said thanks.  Hope this helps..happy they did something YMMV. 

Green to the OP! Took a few days to locate an AT&T iPhone 5, but we found one to replace my wife's old iPhone 4 which was acting a bit screwy.

2cheap2eat said:   Would WalMart work for SERO plan?
  I upgraded to the $50 SERO plan to get my 4S. On Sprints site it says I need a new plan to even get an iPhone 5. Sprint's service is so bad, and $50 a month is less and less a deal. I'm ready to leave SERO.

Is that true the Iphone 5S for $189.00 from WalMart?  Is the phone also unlock too and what is the GB? 

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014