• Go to page :
  • 1 2345
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Hey you fat wallet fans,

I called today to talk to Verizon Wireless about seeing if there is any way to save money on my bill. Previously, I was on the SHARE EVERYTHING Plan with 2 lines and 2gb of shared data. They switched both lines to the $60 loyalty plan, which provides unlimited talk and text, and upgrades each line to 2 gb of data.

I called and said, "I noticed that my verizon bill is the largest bill I have every month. Is there a way for me to shave some costs on this?" and they switched both lines over. No haggling or anything. As always, YMMV. Didn't even ask for a special department.

Member Summary

Verizon
Thanks Neilium
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
mine is $68 and change with no extras. The funny thing is that my old plan was $30 before taxes/fees and $40 after

maxxodds (Jan. 31, 2014 @ 9:00p) |

First I've heard of anyone renewing their contract and keeping unlimited data.  I thought unlimited data was phased out ... (more)

jcantanixon (Jan. 31, 2014 @ 10:47p) |

It's iffy - some business or gov't plans did keep unlimited data.  Also, a few months ago, renewals done via Amazon actu... (more)

rsuaver (Feb. 23, 2014 @ 9:17p) |

Confirmed still working 10/17/13. Brand new customer, bought iPhone 5s yesterday, chatted with CSR and switched to this plan in 5 minutes next day.
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

How close are you (or were you) to the end of your contract w/them? This interests me. Thank you.

Nice info for anybody that wants to stay with Verizon.

Green for you for the heads up, but I'm tired of this back and forth game Verizon/Att/Sprint play. I've got 3 lines with them on a legacy family plan that is 1200 shared minutes, unlimited text, and unlimited data. That costs $230 after taxes and fees, without any kind of discount. I looked at the Straight Talk type competitors, but I'm going to give T-Mobile a try on their no contract, byod plan. I can get unlimited talk and text, and 2.5gb per line for $120 a month + tax/fees. Or their unlimited everything (capped at 500mb high speed before throttle) for $90 +tax/fee a month. - for the same 3 lines.

Even at $60 a line, that's still $200 a month after taxes/fees. They're willing to give that freely at this point, because they see everybody switching out of these ridiculous contracts.

Yes, I realize Verizon service > Tmobile service. For almost $1200 a year in savings, and no contract shenanigans, I don't care.  

I am a new customer - I signed a contract on 12/29/12. So 8 months into a new contract. Before this I had StraightTalk.

Vexas, best of luck with T-Mobile.

empretho said:   Hey you fat wallet fans,

I called today to talk to Verizon Wireless about seeing if there is any way to save money on my bill. Previously, I was on the SHARE EVERYTHING Plan with 2 lines and 2gb of shared data. They switched both lines to the $60 loyalty plan, which provides unlimited talk and text, and upgrades each line to 2 gb of data.

is it $60 per line?
(T-Mobile customer here)

Yes, $60 per line.

That's the standard price. $60 per line for unlimited talk and text with 2GB data. 
http://www.verizonwireless.com/wcms/consumer/shop/share-everythi... 

What kind of phones -- basic or smartphone (3G/4G) -- as that affects VZW prixing?

Have you gone to your account on VZW and confirmed what you are getting and can you then shared exact items by VZW nomenclature?

Thanks

camackerman said:   That's the standard price. $60 per line for unlimited talk and text with 2GB data. 

Maybe extra was making it be heard clearly now as a bargain 

The way I see it. ? Their standard price is $100
$40 line access fee+$60 for unlimited talk text and 2.5gb

Disclaimer
jojosung said:   The way I see it. ? Their standard price is $100
$40 line access fee+$60 for unlimited talk text and 2.5gb

We need to know complete specific details to evaluate the deal.

Prepaid

empretho said:   Yes, $60 per line.
Thanks
I'm so glad T Mobile works well for me and very sorry for people who can't use T Mobile
I've been with them for 10 years now and I'm not sure if I would switch to Verizon (or AT&T) even if it was the same price as T Mobile

Thanks for the info! I will try on my business line..

On the other hand, as much as I hate Sprint, the only reason I can't leave (for my family plan) is that it's the only legacy career (i.e. full roaming capabilities, $199 GS4s and iPhone 5s) that can give you three Galaxy S4 and two iPhone 5 with unlimited data for $205/mo + taxes.

Vexas said:   Nice info for anybody that wants to stay with Verizon.

Green for you for the heads up, but I'm tired of this back and forth game Verizon/Att/Sprint play. I've got 3 lines with them on a legacy family plan that is 1200 shared minutes, unlimited text, and unlimited data. That costs $230 after taxes and fees, without any kind of discount. I looked at the Straight Talk type competitors, but I'm going to give T-Mobile a try on their no contract, byod plan. I can get unlimited talk and text, and 2.5gb per line for $120 a month + tax/fees. Or their unlimited everything (capped at 500mb high speed before throttle) for $90 +tax/fee a month. - for the same 3 lines.

Even at $60 a line, that's still $200 a month after taxes/fees. They're willing to give that freely at this point, because they see everybody switching out of these ridiculous contracts.

Yes, I realize Verizon service > Tmobile service. For almost $1200 a year in savings, and no contract shenanigans, I don't care.  

I agree the contract and shenanigans get old, but obviously the savings differs depending on what you want.  I've also considered Straight Talk, etc but have yet to take the plunge.  I can't convince myself the benefit is really there yet.

Here's my math for anyone else interested:
Taxes not included...3 lines
$180 for OP deal, or $120 for tmobile BYOD. = $60 savings = $720 per year savings
If you like upgrading and get expensive phones every 18-24months which I always do.  ~$600(no contract)-$200(contract price) = $400 * 3 phones = $1200 every 2 years. $600 per year savings on phone hardware.
So only $120 per year more for verizon.  Better service, faster speeds, and not dropping $600 on a phone.  Not including selling the old phones if they are still worth something.

Thanks for the heads up OP.

coolry said:   

I agree the contract and shenanigans get old, but obviously the savings differs depending on what you want.  I've also considered Straight Talk, etc but have yet to take the plunge.  I can't convince myself the benefit is really there yet.

$180 for OP deal, or $120 for tmobile BYOD. = $60 savings = $720 per year savings
If you like upgrading and get expensive phones every 18-24months which I always do.  ~$600(no contract)-$200(contract price) = $400 * 3 phones = $1200 every 2 years. $600 per year savings on phone hardware.
So only $120 per year more for verizon.  Better service, faster speeds, and not dropping $600 on a phone.  Not including selling the old phones if they are still worth something.

Most of us on T-Mobile with BYOD buy the Google Nexus 4 for $350 and not the $600 phone. 

coolry said:   

In my case it really is ~$1000 a year, because I'm going with the 3 line BYOD ($90) + unlimited internet and tethering on my phone ($20) + their 500mb "unlimited" on the other 2 phones (because these two don't use more than that anyways).  That equals $110 + tax vs 180 + tax.  Let's call ~15% tax/fees, which brings us to $126 s $207.  I just bought 3 of the Nexus 4 for $200 each, no contract.  They're not the best of the best, but they're good phones for not much more than the contract money down for new phones.  Saying it's only $120 difference per year just says you're willing to pay full price for phones and finance them over the year.  It's all part of the car dealership tactics they keep doing to play with the numbers.

I get no contract
II get tethering (maybe the $60 plan does too?  I don't know)
At the end of 2 years, I've spent $3624 (including phones) vs $5568 (including phones at $200 contract price)
I know there are some other minor differences here, but the main difference is $1944 over the 2 years

Another thing for those with more than 3 lines...you can keep adding to the T-Mobile plan for $10 a month - not $60.  $10 for "unlimited", $20 for the 2.5 "unlimited".

On second thought, now that I see how much I'm spending on this garbage, 'm cancelling all of it and going off the grid

This is GREAT, thank you for posting. I just upgraded to a data plan for myself 2 months ago & my husband 2 days ago. We were going to be paying $140/mo for 700 shared minutes, 1000 texts for me & 2gb of data for each of us. This will save us $$ and give us more minutes & texts.

two things to keep in mind

1. you can still get subsidized phones with 2 year contract on T Mobile through third-party vendors.
it will cost more than no contract plan, starting @$10 more per line (more for extra data).

2. what happens if you break or lose your phone and don't have insurance..
With T Mobile you can use any unlocked GSM phone
Verizon will probably charge you full price for the phone and I believe there is no way around it but please correct me if I'm wrong

Vexas said:   ......

OMG!  I am with Republic Wireless for $20/month unlimited and my wife uses goPhone for $25 every 3 months.   She doesn't need unlimited because when we are together (which is most of the time), we use my phone.   
I have been with Republic Wireless for a year and love it.  Yes, it has a few "quirks" like not being able to send pics via text and only have 1 phone to choose from which is no where near an iPhone but they are coming out with new phones shortly that should take care of most of the beta problems.

In the next year we're going to see some big changes in how these guys price. Softbank/Sprint is going to change things more. We have 5 lines, 1 basic use (no internet), 1 with 2gb and 3 with unlimited data. When it comes to buying a new phone at $600, I'm going to balk and likely do something else.

nikon5400 said:   two things to keep in mind

1. you can still get subsidized phones with 2 year contract on T Mobile through third-party vendors.
it will cost more than no contract plan, starting @$10 more per line (more for extra data).

Verizon will probably charge you full price for the phone and I believe there is no way around it but please correct me if I'm wrong

You are wrong.

You can buy cheap Verizon replacement phones as well. The usual sources are full of them. The question more appropriately should be "What happens if you break or lose your phone and don't have insurance?" - answer is the same no matter the carrier. You buy a different phone.

Now on these 'Loyalty' plans - I have a very old one that I purchased off someone a while back. 200 voice minutes, unlimited n/w and m2m minutes, but the kicker...unlimited 4G/LTE data...$59.99 a month plus tax with my discount it comes to just under $60 per month. The moral here is that Verizon offers a lot of different 'Loyalty' plans - depending on how long you have been a customer and how many lines of service you have etc. will decide what you will be offered.

BamBam0099 said:   
Vexas said:   Even at $60 a line, that's still $200 a month after taxes/fees. They're willing to give that freely at this point, because they see everybody switching out of these ridiculous contracts.

OMG!  I am with Republic Wireless for $20/month unlimited and my wife uses goPhone for $25 every 3 months.   She doesn't need unlimited because when we are together (which is most of the time), we use my phone.   
I have been with Republic Wireless for a year and love it.  Yes, it has a few "quirks" like not being able to send pics via text and only have 1 phone to choose from which is no where near an iPhone but they are coming out with new phones shortly that should take care of most of the beta problems.

How much data do you get for that price? If the answer is none because you don't have a Smartphone (as I'm pretty sure it is), then your numbers have no relevance to the conversation here.

billrubin said:   
BamBam0099 said:   
Vexas said:   Even at $60 a line, that's still $200 a month after taxes/fees. They're willing to give that freely at this point, because they see everybody switching out of these ridiculous contracts.

How much data do you get for that price? If the answer is none because you don't have a Smartphone (as I'm pretty sure it is), then your numbers have no relevance to the conversation here.

probably unlimited. the catch is that you are stuck with horrible phone (and no, you can't use any other phone other than what republic wireless offers). Also, no MMS. But hey, it's still only $19/mo.

cpabster said:   
nikon5400 said:   two things to keep in mind

You are wrong.

You can buy cheap Verizon replacement phones as well. The usual sources are full of them. The question more appropriately should be "What happens if you break or lose your phone and don't have insurance?" - answer is the same no matter the carrier. You buy a different phone.

What exactly are the usual sources?
I can get a brand new prepaid GSM phone and use it on postpaid T-Mobile service.  A brand new T-Mobile \ AT&T \ etc phone can cost as little as $10, while a decent 4G phone like T-Mobile LG Optimus L9 4.5" is $180 at WalMart today.  (obviously I may need to unlock a non-Tmobile phone, but that costs very little). 

Last I heard - you COULD use a new prepaid phone on verizon, but not anymore... Now they want you to have that prepaid service for 6 months or so before they can activate that prepaid handset on postpaid. 
But again, please correct me if I'm wrong. 

UPGRADING COMIN' UP NOW!!!!!

camackerman said:   That's the standard price. $60 per line for unlimited talk and text with 2GB data. 

I know, I'm still trying to figure out if there is a deal here...

OP - does it drop the $40 access fee for $60 TOTAL bill, instead of $100 total? Otherwise, it's standard stuff as quoted above..... ? ....

Well I took the plunge and swithed over to Stright Talk 2 months ago. I was with Verizon for years!! and loved the CS - but my bill was way to high.

I bought 2 of those Samsung Centura phones for $99 each from Walmt ($15 extra for a 2 year replacement plan - drop, break, spill included). They have the android 4.0 OS on them. I put in a 32G memory card to store music, pics etc

I have been buying the cards and re-uping every month. I read that if you buy a yearly plan they throtle down your data, but month to month they won't or it will reset when you renew.

For the most part, we use wifi when at home, or in a hotel etc. and the 3G service is great for everything else.

so my bill is now $90 a month ($45 a card) + sales tax at Walmt.... so much better than paying the verizon plan and then 20+% in taxes and federal charges and fees.

It took me a while to switch over, but I'm happy so far.

I was offered the same deal. I am off contract now and VZW customer for 12 years.
The $60 is a great deal. It is not standard. The standard deal is $40 per line + $60 for 2GB shareable data.
I confirmed with two reps that this is an unadvertised plan and is very much a YMMV.

mojoshtudd said:   I was offered the same deal. I am off contract now and VZW customer for 12 years.
The $60 is a great deal. It is not standard. The standard deal is $40 per line + $60 for 2GB shareable data.
I confirmed with two reps that this is an unadvertised plan and is very much a YMMV.

Thanks for info, will check my mileage...

I was just on the VZW site doing a mock upgrade on my account - wanted to see how they were going offer the iPhone and if it was just going to be available via edge or contract price...(they're doing it both ways thankfully).

But, when I did my plan, it did show the $60 plan and said my monthly rate would be $60 (i was wondering WTH until I saw this thread); seems like they did drop the line access fee. I'm going to give a call to them later when I can and get more specifics.

Thanks for the head's up though FW Peeps.

nikon5400 said:   2. what happens if you break or lose your phone and don't have insurance..

You are making apples to oranges comparison.

For example, if you have GS4 (or iphone 5 for the sake of argument) on Verizon or Tmobile, and lose your phone, how does having GSM help you? You still need to pay full price for the phone anyway.

If I were to lose any of my GS4 or iPhone 5 on my Sprint account, I will probably buy a GS2 off from eBay for under $100 (which is a better phone than most unlocked GSM phone you can get for under $200) and suck it up until my contract renewal.

verizon
Disclaimer
Agr8RN said:   I was just on the VZW site doing a mock upgrade on my account - wanted to see how they were going offer the iPhone and if it was just going to be available via edge or contract price...(they're doing it both ways thankfully).

But, when I did my plan, it did show the $60 plan and said my monthly rate would be $60 (i was wondering WTH until I saw this thread); seems like they did drop the line access fee. I'm going to give a call to them later when I can and get more specifics.

Thanks for the head's up though FW Peeps.

I just did a mock and it showed $60 + $40 ?

I have to wait for my husband to get home and call, apparently I'm not authorized lol

I love this conversation. I moved out of Sprint then ended up over time with Virgin Mobile. I really like the concept of having the hardware separate from the service. I think I'm going to move "up" to an Iphone 4s from my Android phone. I just don't want to go from $25 a month to $35. Iphone only goes to $30.

holv said:   

If I were to lose any of my GS4 or iPhone 5 on my Sprint account, I will probably buy a GS2 off from eBay for under $100 (which is a better phone than most unlocked GSM phone you can get for under $200) and suck it up until my contract renewal.

Speaking of apples to oranges, what good is buying a GSM phone going to do you if you're on Sprint? They're CDMA (or were when I last checked).

holv said:   
nikon5400 said:   2. what happens if you break or lose your phone and don't have insurance..

For example, if you have GS4 (or iphone 5 for the sake of argument) on Verizon or Tmobile, and lose your phone, how does having GSM help you? You still need to pay full price for the phone anyway.

Well, you can buy a brand new cheap prepaid GSM phone from retail store and use it on T-Mobile. I don't think VZ will let you activate a prepaid phone on postpaid account just like that. 
I'm not VZ customer, so I don't know what their phone selection is like, but with GSM you can buy any GSM phone that works in US an can be unlocked (if needed). I don't know if you can use any CDMA phone (like some Sprint phone you may have laying around) unlock it and activate it on VZ 

P.S. Is Sprint GS2 cheaper or better than GSM GS2?

thanks so much. only needed to change a feature in my phone to get the 15% discount. so now I have free call block.

billrubin said:   
holv said:   

Speaking of apples to oranges, what good is buying a GSM phone going to do you if you're on Sprint? They're CDMA (or were when I last checked).

Because the discussion up there was a TMO vs Verizon comparison... Just brought Sprint in since Verizon never released GS2.
nikon5400 said:   
Well, you can buy a brand new cheap prepaid GSM phone from retail store and use it on T-Mobile. I don't think VZ will let you activate a prepaid phone on postpaid account just like that. 
I'm not VZ customer, so I don't know what their phone selection is like, but with GSM you can buy any GSM phone that works in US an can be unlocked (if needed). I don't know if you can use any CDMA phone (like some Sprint phone you may have laying around) unlock it and activate it on VZ 

Well because you have originally asked "what happens if you break or lose your phone and don't have insurance.." Why would you buy a brand new cheap prepaid GSM phone after losing a smartphone? Say that you have a Verizon GS4 and TMobile GS4. If you lose them, the replacement cost will basically be the same weather you are on Verizon or TMobile... Because both Verizon and TMO will charge you the full price if you lose them mid-contract without insurance.

holv said:   
billrubin said:   
holv said:   

Because the discussion up there was a TMO vs Verizon comparison... Just brought Sprint in since Verizon never released GS2.
nikon5400 said:   

Well because you have originally asked "what happens if you break or lose your phone and don't have insurance.." Why would you buy a brand new cheap prepaid GSM phone after losing a smartphone? Say that you have a Verizon GS4 and TMobile GS4. If you lose them, the replacement cost will basically be the same weather you are on Verizon or TMobile... Because both Verizon and TMO will charge you the full price if you lose them mid-contract without insurance.

• Right. If you have GS4 and want GS4, you are pretty much out of luck with any carrier. 
  • If some of your lines are basic phone you are better off with T-Mobile, because you can pick up a $10 phone at WalMart and activate it right away. (again, I don't think VZ will let you do that)
  • If you had a smartphone but don't want to buy another smartphone right away (because you are waiting for a new model or don't have the money or whatever) you can temporarily get by with $10 phone  (something I'd do - just activate an old 3g phone which does all I need and do research on new models). With no contract T-Mobile plans you can also downgrade (completely remove with older value plans) the data portion of the plan while you are deciding on your smartphone purchase.

I just wonder is there are a good reason why SIM cards are not used for CDMA network? 

holv said:   
billrubin said:   
BamBam0099 said:   

probably unlimited. the catch is that you are stuck with horrible phone (and no, you can't use any other phone other than what republic wireless offers). Also, no MMS. But hey, it's still only $19/mo.

At 5 lines, Tmobile is only $10 more and MUCH better. Plus a $200 nexus 4 a billion times better than the motorola,

Skipping 135 Messages...
jcantanixon said:   
Shamus375PA said:   Before: Wife on Droid Razr out of contract with unlimited data, Me on Droid Razr out of contract with 4 GB for the 2 GB price, MIL on Droid Razr with 2G, FIL with flip phone.
After: Wife on LG G2 with unlimited data, me on Galaxy S4 with unlimited data, MIL and FIL no change.

How it went down: Upgraded my and wife's phone with subsidy and was moved to share everything 6GB plan. Called to switch plans to loyalty plan as it would save us $30 a month (back to what we were paying originally). CS stated that was too much work and put us BOTH on unlimited plan for $24.99/month each, saving us roughly $20/month.

We've been with Verizon for 13 years.

First I've heard of anyone renewing their contract and keeping unlimited data.  I thought unlimited data was phased out and there was no way for the customer service reps to put anyone on it anymore.

It's iffy - some business or gov't plans did keep unlimited data.  Also, a few months ago, renewals done via Amazon actually kept the unlimited data due to some loophole.  

Note that many reps are saying BS to the customers, and then they find out the 'real' deal after they get the bill.  This goes for those that were promised tethering or employee discounts with the loyalty plan.  You don't get either...

For shamus... so rep didn't know how to do it, so you settled to save $20 on each line vs saving $30 on each line?  That's $20 more a month you are paying due to a rep saying it was 'too difficult'...

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014