• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

LifeStraw Personal Water Filter
Disclaimer
Arms Unlimited has the Lifestraw   on Sale at $17.95 once you add it to your cart. Qualifies for free shipping.

Enables users to drink water safely from contaminated water sources.
Great for campers and hikers who may be drinking from rivers and lakes or if you don't trust the local water quality.

Seller Arms Unlimited  

Member Summary

LifeStraw Personal Water Filter
Thanks Neilium
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Get one. Ever take a hike? Get one. Never take a hike? Get one. There are too many scenarios for me to speak of here where people have needed clean drinking water, and for this price for a quality water filtering item, don't pass it up. Get one.

• Filters up to 1,000 liters (264 gallons) of water
  • Removes 99.9999% of waterborne bacteria (>LOG 6 reduction)
  • Removes 99.9% of waterborne protozoan parasites (>LOG 3 reduction)
  • Reduces turbidity, filtering down to 0.2 microns
  • Ultralight: weighs only 2oz!
  • Does NOT use iodine or iodinized resin
  • Contains no chemicals (and is BPA-free), uses no batteries, has no moving parts
  • Very high flow rate; no after taste (because no iodine or chlorine are used)
  • Easy to clean. Can be stored and used periodically without impacting shelf life.
  • Very durable
  • Used worldwide in harsh conditions since 2005
  • Award winning & internationally recognized

Nice find. Its $2 dollars cheaper from Amazon and you save on shipping.

"Shelf Life: 5 years when stored at room temperature. (Product package may state shelf life of 3 years, but this will be corrected on newer packaging. The actual shelf life is 5 years.)"

Good to know.

Thanks OP.

19.95 on Amazon with Prime

So does the effectiveness run out with use? In other words it has a 5 year shelf life but how many liters/gallons of water can it filter before it stops being effective?

lavamatrix18 said:   So does the effectiveness run out with use? In other words it has a 5 year shelf life but how many liters/gallons of water can it filter before it stops being effective?
As it says 5 posts up
Sonofspam said:   Get one. Ever take a hike? Get one. Never take a hike? Get one. There are too many scenarios for me to speak of here where people have needed clean drinking water, and for this price for a quality water filtering item, don't pass it up. Get one.

• Filters up to 1,000 liters (264 gallons) of water

Oxymoron123 said:   19.95 on Amazon with Prime
  $2.00 cheaper at Arms Unlimited. $17.95 once you add it to the cart. Free shipping and you don't need to be a prime member. 

jehjeh said:   
Oxymoron123 said:   19.95 on Amazon with Prime
  $2.00 cheaper at Arms Unlimited. $17.95 once you add it to the cart. Free shipping and you don't need to be a prime member. 

True, not saying that Amazon was cheaper.  The extra $2 is worth it to me for not setting up another account and sharing my credit card info with another vendor.

lavamatrix18 said:   So does the effectiveness run out with use? In other words it has a 5 year shelf life but how many liters/gallons of water can it filter before it stops being effective?
One of the FAQ's on the manufacturer's website discusses this.  My interpretation of their response is that when this came out in 2005, they estimated a 3-year shelf life even though they felt it would last longer, but since it was a brand new product, they didn't really know, so they were being conservative. At some point, I assume after 2010, they increased their estimated shelf life to 5 years since their 5-year old units still performed well.  They also hint that in the future they may increase their estimated shelf life even further.  Seems logical that it would last a lot longer than 5 years, especially if never used / never wet - I'm no scientist but I'm not sure what would break down in a physical, unused filter.  Said another way, if I bought one of these today and was in a situation 10 or 15 years from now where there was a pool of nasty water in front of me but if I didn't get some water I would die, I'm using it.

stlbluesfan said:   
One of the FAQ's on the manufacturer's website discusses this.  My interpretation of their response is that when this came out in 2005, they estimated a 3-year shelf life even though they felt it would last longer, but since it was a brand new product, they didn't really know, so they were being conservative. At some point, I assume after 2010, they increased their estimated shelf life to 5 years since their 5-year old units still performed well.  They also hint that in the future they may increase their estimated shelf life even further.  Seems logical that it would last a lot longer than 5 years, especially if never used / never wet - I'm no scientist but I'm not sure what would break down in a physical, unused filter.  Said another way, if I bought one of these today and was in a situation 10 or 15 years from now where there was a pool of nasty water in front of me but if I didn't get some water I would die, I'm using it.

Thanks I was more curious how long it lasts with occasional use. Like if I only used it once every few months would it go bad sooner than 5 years? Either way it sounds great, I just dont want to rely on it down the road and it not work and I get sick. 

lavamatrix18 said:   
stlbluesfan said:   

Thanks I was more curious how long it lasts with occasional use. Like if I only used it once every few months would it go bad sooner than 5 years? Either way it sounds great, I just dont want to rely on it down the road and it not work and I get sick. 

Why would you be using a survival tool like a LifeStraw every few months?  If you find yourself in survival situations that often, perhaps you should just stay inside, with plenty of food and water around you.  Just sayin'.

^^^^^ For camping..

lavamatrix18 said:   
stlbluesfan said:   

This was from Sonofspam's first post.
"Easy to clean. Can be stored and used periodically without impacting shelf life."

Bizatch said:   ^^^^^ For camping..
  This is more of a survival tool.  If you need to purify enough water for a camping trip, you would find a filter that handles larger volumes to be more practical.  A LifeStraw is perfect to take on camping trips or day hikes as a tool in your "SHTF" pack, but not for typical water purification.  But hey, you buy it, you do what you want with it.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014