• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

T-Mobile boasts record August as it preps for iPhone 5S, 5C | Mobile - CNET News
Disclaimer
* Customers don't have to put money down, but they pay $22 a month for two years just for the phone. If you leave Tmo within those two years, you just pay for the remaining balance.

Total phone cost is $528 ($22 per month x 24 months).

Tmo is also waiving the $35 activation fee. Not sure if this is their standard practice, but it's a nice touch. 35 bucks is 35 bucks.

CNET coverage: http://cnet.co/18U4xGL  

From Tmo's twitter account:

"Pre-order iPhone 5c from @Tmo today with no annual service contract. https://explore.t-mobile.com/iphone-5c?  

https://twitter.com/Tmo/status/378566139741085696 

Simple Choice Plan: Unlimited Talk + Text

This plan includes:

No annual contract
Your choice of additional high-speed data add-ons
Unlimited domestic messages (text, picture, and video)
Unlimited nationwide and Tmo to Tmo calling
Unlimited Nights and Weekends

T-Mobile
Need a T-Mobile coupon that earns Up to $37.50 FatWallet Cash Back?
Member Summary

iPhone 5c
Thanks VBMcGB
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Yes, but don't tell the contract people... they get mad because they are overpaying and like telling people they are ove... (more)

ZombieHunter (Sep. 17, 2013 @ 7:32p) |

I can't speak to StraightTalk, but a month ago a friend with VM couldn't get a signal on a five day camping trip.  Guess... (more)

slickdeal45 (Sep. 17, 2013 @ 8:36p) |

Oh, you mean off-network roaming. By your mention of "an urban area" I thought you just meant out-of-market roaming.

Yeah... (more)

HappyScrappyHeroPup (Sep. 17, 2013 @ 9:47p) |

• Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

This is a good deal? I declare shinanigans!

You end up paying more for the phone with no contract. $22 per month vs. $100 up front with 2 year agreement.
T-Mo. is sneaky little bast. and
Everyone is trying follow them.
Saw commericals last night for V. and Att with the same BS. No contract

GWBush said:   This is a good deal? I declare shinanigans!
  I don't see other carriers offering a $0 down iPhone 5C without an annual contract. So, if you're looking for a new carrier and an iPhone 5C, I call this a deal.

They pulled the no down payment sale thing this summer but didn't really discount the down payment. They just increased the monthly payment to make up for the down payment. There wasn't any net discount.

phatkrazy said:   
 You end up paying more for the phone with no contract. $22 per month vs. $100 up front with 2 year agreement.

It's not T-Mobile being sneaky. The other carriers subsidize the phone by higher plan costs than T-Mobile.  $40 or higher per month than T-Mobile for talk, messaging, and data on the other carriers comparable plans from my research. That's almost $1000 over 2 years.

salwana said:   
  I don't see other carriers offering a $0 down iPhone 5C without an annual contract. So, if you're looking for a new carrier and an iPhone 5C, I call this a deal.

So you save $80-100 and end up paying more over the course of the contract. I don't understand people who fall for their so-called deal.

billrubin said:   
salwana said:   

So you save $80-100 and end up paying more over the course of the contract. I don't understand people who fall for their so-called deal.

You save up front and you pay less per month and there is no contract.  tmobile service is a lot cheaper than others, so even with the added cost of the device on your monthly bil its still cheaper.  And after the 2 years that charge comes off your bill.  On verizon and att that charge is hidden, higher and never comes off.  That said i would skip the iphone 5c and get the nexus 5, moto x or htc one.

phatkrazy said:   

How much is the monthly fee w/Verizon or ATT?  T-Mobile is cheaper.  Also, you can get the $30/month deal if you use less than 100 minutes/month voice but you can't pay $22/month, you have to pay it all upfront.

The T-mo phone deal is way better. You make reasonable size payments for the actual price of the phone, with no contract. When the phone is paid off, you only pay for the service. With other companies and their contracts, you continue to pay the high prices, well past the price of the phone. Subsidized equipment only seems like a deal upfront, but then you end up paying way more in the end.

Also, it should be mentioned that retail price from Apple is $549 for the iPhone 5C. T-mo is selling it off contract for $528. That's nearly 4% off!

The real discount is when you sign up for their "Jump" add-on when you can change phone every 6 months or so. Since you put no money down, it won't hurt to "Jump" to another phone.

That said, I think the price of iPhone 5C is bound to drop in 2 months. I would say $400 by Black Friday.

I love all of these "no service contracts"

Yeah ok, now you are in a 2 year "phone contract"....tricky aren't they?

And yet people fall for it....

ZombieHunter said:   I love all of these "no service contracts"

Many people prefer not to cough up $500-$800 for a phone all at once.  It's just financing a purchase over time, which is what plenty of people do.  I can't fathom financing such a small amount of money, but then again, TMO is offering it at a discount without charging interest.  What exactly do you think people are falling for, here?

You can make larger payments as well if you want to pay off the phone faster. I sold off my 4S, and used it to pay off the 5. I could probably do it again for a new 5S! I think it's the best value right now, as far as service and equipment financing. If only TMO had the coverage that VZN has.

If you pay no interest, what is the incentive to pay off the phone faster???

I would just hold on until the price for this phone goes down

Its not tricky at all.  T-Mobile has lower monthly service cost, so you would pay less over the 2 years to buy with the 2 year phone contract.

http://blog.laptopmag.com/iphone-5c-carrier-plans-compared

kickerstarter said:   If you pay no interest, what is the incentive to pay off the phone faster???

Some people like me like to keep a paid off phone for emergencies, such as if you lose a phone, or your dog eats your phone before your upgrade date.  I always have a spare, just in case.

gusk1200 said:   Also, it should be mentioned that retail price from Apple is $549 for the iPhone 5C. T-mo is selling it off contract for $528. That's nearly 4% off!
  $22 for 24 months is actually quite a bit less than $528 in today's dollars (Time value of money). So you are getting probably 25% discount. 

DeniseInLosAngeles said:   

Its not tricky at all.  T-Mobile has lower monthly service cost, so you would pay less over the 2 years to buy with the 2 year phone contract.

Some maths given that info:
Cheapeast TMO monthly plan for this offer is $60 for the plan + $22 for the phone = $82 a month, $1978 for 2 years.
Comparing to ST ($45/mo.) the difference is $37 a month.  But ST doesn't provide the phone.
If you can pony up the $549 up front for this phone, your break even is after month 14.  After month 14, you save $37 up to month 24, and $15 a month afterward.

Seems like this deal is only hot for those that cannot afford to put money up front for an iPhone 5C.  If your finances are that dire, you probably should not have an $82 a month phone bill.

The article is incorrect. TMO starts at $50/mo.

mistadeal said:   
DeniseInLosAngeles said:   

Some maths given that info:
Cheapeast TMO monthly plan for this offer is $60 for the plan + $22 for the phone = $82 a month, $1978 for 2 years.
Comparing to ST ($45/mo.) the difference is $37 a month.  But ST doesn't provide the phone.
If you can pony up the $549 up front for this phone, your break even is after month 14.  After month 14, you save $37 up to month 24, and $15 a month afterward.

Seems like this deal is only hot for those that cannot afford to put money up front for an iPhone 5C.  If your finances are that dire, you probably should not have an $82 a month phone bill.

Start the math again.  $60 for T-Mobile -$45 for ST = $15 dollars per month.  The $22 should not be included if you don't get the phone included with the ST plan.

It should be clear that the benefit of the T-Mobile plan is that you get a smartphone with low monthly payments/no interest charges, as opposed to buying a smartphone with a contract from any other carrier. 

And seeing the examples shown from the article, it is possible to get the monthly cell service plus the monthly phone payments for less than the other carriers that charge more for their contracts.  ST is cheaper, however they are a no-contract carrier, so they weren't a part of the comparison.

The problem with MVNOs is that they don't offer roaming. If you never leave an urban area, that might (might) be acceptable. Personally, I find it a pain in the ass to have to lend my phone to my friends who've saved a few bucks with an MVNO. "Yeah, I'll text your girlfriend for you..."

They're really a lower class of cell service, and shouldn't be compared to a full service plan without mentioning that it's apples to oranges.

slickdeal45 said:   The problem with MVNOs is that they don't offer roaming. If you never leave an urban area, that might (might) be acceptable. Personally, I find it a pain in the ass to have to lend my phone to my friends who've saved a few bucks with an MVNO. "Yeah, I'll text your girlfriend for you..."

They're really a lower class of cell service, and shouldn't be compared to a full service plan without mentioning that it's apples to oranges.

StraightTalk and Virgin Mobile are both MVNOs and they offer roaming, don't they?

HappyScrappyHeroPup said:   
slickdeal45 said:   The problem with MVNOs is that they don't offer roaming. If you never leave an urban area, that might (might) be acceptable. Personally, I find it a pain in the ass to have to lend my phone to my friends who've saved a few bucks with an MVNO. "Yeah, I'll text your girlfriend for you..."

StraightTalk and Virgin Mobile are both MVNOs and they offer roaming, don't they?

Yes, but don't tell the contract people... they get mad because they are overpaying and like telling people they are overpaying... I am happy paying $45/mo for LTE unlimited everything. Never had a lost signal or had to borrow anyones phone.... Oh, my GF has postpaid T-mo and has to borrow MY prepaid Straight Talk... pretty sad, but I laugh....

HappyScrappyHeroPup said:     StraightTalk and Virgin Mobile are both MVNOs and they offer roaming, don't they?

I can't speak to StraightTalk, but a month ago a friend with VM couldn't get a signal on a five day camping trip.  Guess who's phone he was borrowing?  I've got Sprint, which VM uses.  I was roaming onto Verizon, he was outta luck.

slickdeal45 said:   
HappyScrappyHeroPup said:     StraightTalk and Virgin Mobile are both MVNOs and they offer roaming, don't they?

I can't speak to StraightTalk, but a month ago a friend with VM couldn't get a signal on a five day camping trip.  Guess who's phone he was borrowing?  I've got Sprint, which VM uses.  I was roaming onto Verizon, he was outta luck.

Oh, you mean off-network roaming. By your mention of "an urban area" I thought you just meant out-of-market roaming.

Yeah, MVNOs tend to have terrible (or no) off-network roaming. But hey, T-Mo's $30 plan doesn't have off-network roaming. Well, they have some for voice, but almost none for data.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014