• Go to page :
  • 12 3
  • Text Only
HSPA is more battery efficient, and there isn't an obvious speed difference either way. When true 4G LTE (LTE Advanced) becomes available that will change, barring similar improvements in hspa.

But the usable difference for todays lte vs todays HSPA is mainly marketing.

NEDeals said:   HSPA is more battery efficient, and there isn't an obvious speed difference either way. When true 4G LTE (LTE Advanced) becomes available that will change, barring similar improvements in hspa.

Surely you must have bumped your head somewhere. There is a big difference in speed. I was getting 4mbps and now getting 17mbps+...you don't think that is an obvious speed difference?

And, maybe I'll sound outdated, but we are talking about speed of internet on a cell phone...how fast do you need it?

And... my battery is lasting Just as long with LTE as it did on HSPA...I really don't think you have a good phone to check the stuff you are talking about.

Finally got it working had to email them using there email support its 1000 times better then there crappy phone support. Took one email about about 2 hours for them to reply and it was fixed and working on LTE I think from here on out any support I need will be done through emailing them.

koopons said:   Finally got it working had to email them using there email support its 1000 times better then there crappy phone support. Took one email about about 2 hours for them to reply and it was fixed and working on LTE I think from here on out any support I need will be done through emailing them.
  They respond faster through a Facebook post.

Grrrr

This isn't working for me.  Is this deal working or did they run out of sims just in time to screw me??

Hehe

ZombieHunter said:   
NEDeals said:   HSPA is more battery efficient, and there isn't an obvious speed difference either way. When true 4G LTE (LTE Advanced) becomes available that will change, barring similar improvements in hspa.

Surely you must have bumped your head somewhere. There is a big difference in speed. I was getting 4mbps and now getting 17mbps+...you don't think that is an obvious speed difference?

And, maybe I'll sound outdated, but we are talking about speed of internet on a cell phone...how fast do you need it?

And... my battery is lasting Just as long with LTE as it did on HSPA...I really don't think you have a good phone to check the stuff you are talking about.

My head is just fine. Sure at any given moment, one technology may be faster or slower than the other, but that's a function of many parameters, including your location, antenna direction, noise, frequency used, etc.  HSPA supports up to 42 Mbps (84 on the way for some carriers) and that is plenty fast at this time. 

See also
http://gigaom.com/2012/02/17/why-lte-sucks-your-battery-that-is/

beachfitrob said:   12 megabytes a second is plenty fast and saves battery.
That's a common misconception that hasn't been true since the first generation of LTE chipsets. Battery life is actually better using LTE rather than 3G on most handsets (including the iPhone 5) due to a phenomenon called "race to sleep". The iPhone 5 actually gets 1.8x better battery life with browsing on LTE vs 3G.

Tests and explanation    

race to sleep is maybe an esoteric term for chip throttling or IO scheduling? anyway for general purpose browsing 4Mbps and 16Mbps are equal. LTE seems more compelling where price is same and batt life is slightly better tho OR where you're a youtube et al. streaming monster!

Switched to st LTE . And this morning I got 22m/8m speed. Been a long term st customer E-71 era and planning to continue

If anyone on the LTE plan has any feedback on how ST is handling the increased data usage, please report back. I had them in the past and they would slow my connection to dial-up after a day of moderate data usage (no streaming).

I'm on the fence but if they are still militant with LTE data, it just isn't worth the hassle.

Is LTE enabled for people using older AT&T ST SIMs, or do you specifically need a new SIM from them? I have two phones on ST, neither of which support LTE, but the next ones may.

sjwaste said:   Is LTE enabled for people using older AT&T ST SIMs, or do you specifically need a new SIM from them? I have two phones on ST, neither of which support LTE, but the next ones may.
  Need a new SIM.

Thanks, just ordered 2 spares for when we upgrade our phones.

BTW, if you navigate from straighttalkbyop.com, they are available.

Ive been trying to oder a sim card.  The deal is supposed to be 6.99 with free shipping.  However, it keeps wanting me to select postage, so I cant get free shipping.
Anyone else have this problem?  Also, can you pay extra and get tethering or is it not available?

Thanks

zack

zacksmith said:   Ive been trying to oder a sim card.  The deal is supposed to be 6.99 with free shipping.  However, it keeps wanting me to select postage, so I cant get free shipping.
Anyone else have this problem?  Also, can you pay extra and get tethering or is it not available?

Thanks

zack

Choose the second option, "FREE Fedex Overnight (for SIMs) until 9/30/2013" It says $14.95, but it'll show as free on the next page before you confirm.

xarmian said:   
zacksmith said:   Ive been trying to oder a sim card.  The deal is supposed to be 6.99 with free shipping.  However, it keeps wanting me to select postage, so I cant get free shipping.

Thanks

zack

Choose the second option, "FREE Fedex Overnight (for SIMs) until 9/30/2013" It says $14.95, but it'll show as free on the next page before you confirm.

Thank you

Thanks OP
. Works awesome

It shows at 14.99 for me for the card.

thunderstruck said:   It shows at 14.99 for me for the card.
  Sale is over

looks like you can get the card on WalMart.com for 6.88.

blackbrutha said:   Be prepared to get throttled , even if you use only like 300 Meg's a month. Worst service ever, just saying .

They actually say that you'll get throttled at 2.5 GB now.  I imagine you might also get throttled over 300MB in a day or something as well.  I've never had a problem with this, but I don't stream audio or video over cellular.

I'm on ST's LTE network now, and it tests out as being really fast.  I think I got something like 15 Mbps.  

cnccnc said:   
blackbrutha said:   Be prepared to get throttled , even if you use only like 300 Meg's a month. Worst service ever, just saying .

They actually say that you'll get throttled at 2.5 GB now.  I imagine you might also get throttled over 300MB in a day or something as well.  I've never had a problem with this, but I don't stream audio or video over cellular.

I'm on ST's LTE network now, and it tests out as being really fast.  I think I got something like 15 Mbps.  

New from ST

OT question, ST doesn't support short codes right?

ZombieHunter said:   
NEDeals said:   Does anyone have a recommendation for a SIM adapter that accepts a micro SIM so it can be used in a mini SIM (original size) phone?
  Yes, these are awesome and fit perfectly.
ebay   item 151079159198

Thanks - I need this

ZombieHunter said:   
pianomaster said:   Link for micro did not work for me. Maybe this will work:
http://www.shopstraighttalk.com/bpdirect/straighttalk/PlanList.d...   
One question, if using I phone 4s (4G but NOT LTE capable) is this micro card fine or I better take the regular micro card?

There is no regular card any longer. The LTE card is the only one. If you don't have LTE, it will still work with 4G, and 3G.

Yes, it'll work in your phone and you'll get 4G.

Has anyone tried one of these on the Nexus 4?   I had an old ST/ATT sim, and (non-LTE) data worked fine.  But, with the new one, I get nothing, not even 3G or 4G.

Raistlin said:   OT question, ST doesn't support short codes right?
  ST does not support short codes.

is there a way to tell if the sim does LTE on att without putting it in the phone or activating? I got the 60.00 starter pack from WalMart that had the regular size tmobile (pink) and att (blue) sim.

Does Straight Talk allow iPhone 5s? I'm waiting for apple to release the unlocked version.

aqan said:   Does Straight Talk allow iPhone 5s? I'm waiting for apple to release the unlocked version.
  Yes

ZombieHunter said:   
DirkDIggler said:   is there a way to tell if the sim does LTE on att without putting it in the phone or activating? I got the 60.00 starter pack from WalMart that had the regular size tmobile (pink) and att (blue) sim.
  The At&t SIM should be DARK blue, not baby blue.

ok cool, it is dark blue

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014