• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I needed a catalytic converter for my car. Average one at AAP is $250 - 30% coupon ($50 max savings) TRT30
then there is a mfr (walker) rebate $40.00  $40 rebate  

plus fw cb

same part at shop was $550 plus labor

dont forget to scrap your old one at a salvage yard.  Usually can get a few dollars for it

Member Summary

Catalytic Converters if needed
Thanks Neilium
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
I was told by tech at Subaru dealership that it is the winter additive in the gas that is killing Cat converters in the ... (more)

brusbrother (Sep. 16, 2013 @ 2:39a) |

And only two days after you mention that, this was a top story on my local news station.... "WIS Investigates: Town crea... (more)

WantTheBest (Sep. 18, 2013 @ 3:30p) |

if yoursens never failed ya be luckies......Crown Vic's rule even in the Kentucky mines country.

FatWalker (Sep. 18, 2013 @ 11:46p) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

that is half what I payed for the one I had to replace.

Do you actually have to replace catalytic converters? I thought once they failed, they just no longer performed catalytic conversion, but vehicle operation would be unaffected.

thebigo said:   Do you actually have to replace catalytic converters? I thought once they failed, they just no longer performed catalytic conversion, but vehicle operation would be unaffected.

Which would then cause the car not to pass inspection (in states that do inspections, anyway).

Try searching for a Magnaflow, and insist you just want the converter!!! I got one for a 98 corolla for 80 bucks and had a muffler shop weld it in for 60 bucks. It took them 16 minutes, yes I timed it!

Warning AAP's onlines sales will try to disuade you, so go to Magnaflow.com first to get the parn nomber. AAP has their own version of magnaflow's site, so make sure they are on magnaflow.com, and not in their site.

thebigo said:   Do you actually have to replace catalytic converters? I thought once they failed, they just no longer performed catalytic conversion, but vehicle operation would be unaffected.

Mine actually blew out recently.  As in, completely hollow.  The car is even louder than usual now.  I haven't felt like spending $150 to replace it (easy, bolt it).

This thread has potentional... Thanks!

Depends on the state you live in. Here in SC no emissions testing is done. So as long as it's not clogged and causing actual problems or extra loud like the other poster mentioned, it becomes a matter of personal preference of whether you want to pay money to make the engine light turn off by fixing it or continue to drive as normal without spending anything. Even then, if it's clogged and the person doesn't care about the engine light being on, they might just weld a hollow pipe in instead of buying a cat converter.

WantTheBest said:   

Depends on the state you live in. Here in SC no emissions testing is done. So as long as it's not clogged and causing actual problems or extra loud like the other poster mentioned, it becomes a matter of personal preference of whether you want to pay money to make the engine light turn off by fixing it or continue to drive as normal without spending anything. Even then, if it's clogged and the person doesn't care about the engine light being on, they might just weld a hollow pipe in instead of buying a cat converter.

This covers it pretty well. On most newer cars you will get a check engine light for the down stream O2 sensor not switching, cars prior to 96 typically didn't have an O2 sensor (catalyst efficiency monitor) downstream.

The biggest problem as far as reliability when a car fails aside from pollution is they will often become clogged and cause your vehicle to run poorly or not at all. Clogged convertors are often the result of running a vehicle with a cylinder not firing, allowing raw fuel to be exhausted by the engine then igniting on the hot catalyst material in the cat, eventually causing the matrix of material inside to melt.

decades ago my converter plugged up. eventually car wouldnt even drive up a hill and gas was spitting out the carb. replaced with a hollow tube and car was fixed. so it can become so plugged up you cant drive the car.

A co-worker just replaced his. He bought one from AAP and it was too short so check before you cut!

Depends on vehicle.

2005 Subaru WRX/Saab 92x Aero have a cat in the uppipe.  If it goes (comes apart) it sends parts into the turbo.  We replaced our uppipe to prevent this from happening.

The second (1st in built into the manifold) cat on my 2004 Chevy Colorado failed and clogged.  Had to have AAA tow it to the shop for a replacement.

Don't know about any of the other vehicles that I have owned as I have never lived in a location where I had to have an emissions test.

The usual failure mode is to break up and clog, making the vehicle undriveable. If you're a selfish type who wants to make the air stink and add smog you can slap a plain piece of pipe in its place, as long as you don't have emissions inspections, don't mind violating federal law, don't mind a check engine light and don't mind (in some cars) reduced performance/fuel economy as the computer tries to compensate.

Otherwise, use one of these coupon codes to get $40 off $100 or $40 off $110:
TRT41 ($40 off 100), A124 ($40 off 110), RETMENOT124 ($40 off 110), PAYPAL124 ($40 off 110) (most of these also apply smaller discounts to smaller orders)
If you have two catalytic converters and are replacing both (certainly recommended if one has failed), buy them in separate orders and you can re-use the coupon code. The rebate says limit one per household, though.

Some replacement converters have pipes welded to them, others have flanges, which are generally what original equipment cats have.  If you can't weld, consider getting the flanged type.

The cat for my car sits right in front of the engine and is attached directly to the exhaust manifold.  It's possible that replacing it with a straight pipe would really upset the exhaust system.

WantTheBest said:   

Except that it is against federal law to remove, defeat, or otherwise tamper with a catalytic converter.  Similarly, it is unlawful for both the car owner AND the shop performing the work to install a used converter, the wrong converter, or a converter that is not EPA certified.  Penalties include fines and jail time.  [Section 203(a)(3) (42 U.S.C. 7522(a)(3), as amended.]

Note, that most states have their own set of laws on this as well... some more restrictive than the federal laws.  In the case of California, the converter actually has to be CARB (California Air Research Board) certified.  In the case of several well-known top-quality brands who have chosen not to go through the certification process, that makes them unlawful for use on CA-operated vehicles.  For example, in the case of Magnaflow mentioned by another poster... you MUST use a "California" catalytic converter (which costs quite a bit more) or you will be in violation of state law... even though the 49-state converter passes all emissions tests with flying colors.  In addition, selling a car that does not meet emission standards (including the fact that all devices are CARB certified, ie, air filter, catalytic converter, muffler, etc.) is unlawful, and places significant liability on the seller.  If, for example, a person sells a car for $2000, and the buyer finds that it requires $3000 to bring the vehicle into compliance, the seller can be held responsible for the entire repair amount... court cases have repeatedly upheld this.  Scary, huh?

My colleague's Pontiac Montana gets its Catalytic Converters stolen in Metro Detroit. This happened 4 times in the past 1 year. Good deal for him.

labboypro: Scary, huh?
What's scary, is how many people know about these laws governing their private property, yet continue to believe they live in "a free country", and that foreigners "hate us for our freedom". They'll even stand up with hands over their hearts, like a trained dog, when the song is played.
In the example here, a person in SC says they have no emission testing. IOW, South Carolinans have collectively decided that modern cars are efficient and clean and durable enough, on average, that they don't need to waste their time and money every year just to make sure their cars still work they way they appear to work. Then along come the hall monitors, to point out (with USC numbers even) that the other States, some 3000 miles away, have made rules about how South Carolinans need to maintain their private property, that will never affect the people in those other States. It's also illegal to remove matress tags. Free-dumb iz-int fre-eeeeee.

labboypro stated: 
"Note, that most states have their own set of laws on this as well... some more restrictive than the federal laws.  In the case of California, the converter actually has to be CARB (California Air Research Board) certified.  In the case of several well-known top-quality brands who have chosen not to go through the certification process, that makes them unlawful for use on CA-operated vehicles.  For example, in the case of Magnaflow mentioned by another poster... you MUST use a "California" catalytic converter (which costs quite a bit more) or you will be in violation of state law... even though the 49-state converter passes all emissions tests with flying colors.  In addition, selling a car that does not meet emission standards (including the fact that all devices are CARB certified, ie, air filter, catalytic converter, muffler, etc.) is unlawful, and places significant liability on the seller.  If, for example, a person sells a car for $2000, and the buyer finds that it requires $3000 to bring the vehicle into compliance, the seller can be held responsible for the entire repair amount... court cases have repeatedly upheld this.  Scary, huh?"

I couldn't agree more.  Also, if you don't put a California certified catalytic converter in the car, you won't be able to register the car there, even if you currently live in another state.

This one is available for some Calif cars (since it's a universal one and not direct fit, the rebate does not apply): Walker Cal-Cat Universal ConverterPart No.  80828 

Comes to $93.09 after 30% off coupon.

knickdigger said:   labboypro: Scary, huh?
What's scary, is how many people know about these laws governing their private property, yet continue to believe they live in "a free country", and that foreigners "hate us for our freedom". They'll even stand up with hands over their hearts, like a trained dog, when the song is played.
In the example here, a person in SC says they have no emission testing. IOW, South Carolinans have collectively decided that modern cars are efficient and clean and durable enough, on average, that they don't need to waste their time and money every year just to make sure their cars still work they way they appear to work. Then along come the hall monitors, to point out (with USC numbers even) that the other States, some 3000 miles away, have made rules about how South Carolinans need to maintain their private property, that will never affect the people in those other States. It's also illegal to remove matress tags. Free-dumb iz-int fre-eeeeee.

... end consumer can remove matteress tags ... even in california ...
ps not a big fan of emissions req on cars and even less so testing yearly.

thc said:   
The usual failure mode is to break up and clog, making the vehicle undriveable. If you're a selfish type who wants to make the air stink and add smog you can slap a plain piece of pipe in its place, as long as you don't have emissions inspections, don't mind violating federal law, don't mind a check engine light and don't mind (in some cars) reduced performance/fuel economy as the computer tries to compensate.

TRT41 ($40 off 100), A124 ($40 off 110), RETMENOT124 ($40 off 110), PAYPAL124 ($40 off 110) (most of these also apply smaller discounts to smaller orders)
If you have two catalytic converters and are replacing both (certainly recommended if one has failed), buy them in separate orders and you can re-use the coupon code. The rebate says limit one per household, though.

I can't say I've seen that with three different vehicles over ~750k miles. The only one that will probably require replacement due to low efficiency (probably from contamination) is at ~300k+ miles. All the others look ok.

There was a string of catalytic converters being stolen from Park 'n Ride lots near me, so other than it going bad, there's another reason you might need one, though I doubt you will be waiting for a sale to get one if that's your luck

I think that they're being stolen for the platinum. Mine is starting to rattle.

Mines never failed on any of my Crown Vic's....

If someone just wants to remain Protestant, of what use is a Catalytic converter?

george2001 said:   If someone just wants to remain Protestant, of what use is a Catalytic converter?
  just in case protest(ing)est goes haywire this would be plan B ?

Wow dudes. some States don't need to enforce, or even have, those laws. They just don't have much pollution there, and don't care about anyone else!

knickdigger said:   labboypro: Scary, huh?

Lighten up Francis.

*****THANK U SCOTTVM

Came back to say THANKS!  I just ordered a Magnaflow Cat w/ three gaskets for $81.41 shipped.   Saved me about $70.

I looked at Magnaflow, Bosal, and Walker.  All came out to about the same price after coupons, rebates, taxes, etc. 

I spent several hours trying to figure out what to get without much progress.  I decided I didn't want to deal with the rebate.  That ruled out Walker.  It came down to Magnaflow because the video on their website said that their cats are completely stainless steel, not just the main body like most others.  True or not, I'm done except for install in a few weeks.  I have to pull the entire exhaust and clear out the old-cat-debris at the same time. Thank goodness for stainless steel!

DriversFound said:   Came back to say THANKS!  I just ordered a Magnaflow Cat w/ three gaskets for $81.41 shipped.   Saved me about $70.

I looked at Magnaflow, Bosal, and Walker.  All came out to about the same price after coupons, rebates, taxes, etc. 

I spent several hours trying to figure out what to get without much progress.  I decided I didn't want to deal with the rebate.  That ruled out Walker.  It came down to Magnaflow because the video on their website said that their cats are completely stainless steel, not just the main body like most others.  True or not, I'm done excisept for install in a few weeks.  I have to pull the entire exhaust and clear out the old-cat-debris at the same time. Thank goodness for stainless steel!

Glad someone read my post, I use Magnaflow for all my cars, but Bosal is OEM for Toyota! Not the same specs though.

lyeinyoureye said:   
thc said:   

I can't say I've seen that with three different vehicles over ~750k miles. The only one that will probably require replacement due to low efficiency (probably from contamination) is at ~300k+ miles. All the others look ok.

Indeed...I didn't mean to imply that failure is common, just that when they do fail it's usually in the form of clogging (mostly as a result of ignoring a flashing check engine light and driving for too long with a bad misfire). My 1980 Buick's converter's outer shell rusted off but it still works fine.

Sonix said:   Wow dudes. some States don't need to enforce, or even have, those laws. They just don't have much pollution there, and don't care about anyone else!
It's a Federal law, though it's not like the FBI is walking around parking lots looking under cars trying to catch people ridin' dirty. It's also a moral issue but I guess I won't bark up that tree too much.

Speaking of Federal law, it also requires extended warranties on catalytic converters (and specified other emissions parts), 8 years/80,000 miles, on ALL new vehicles sold in the US, and has since 1995. So, if you're in this thread because you have a late model vehicle whose cat has failed, you may be entitled to get a replacement for free.

Excellent points about the federal laws. I did fail to mention that part. I will say this, it's not enforced here. Hell, full blown car theives don't even get arrested or prosecuted here. I've had 2 vehicles stolen in the last 12 months, first one i have video of the thief getting in my truck and driving off, have his full name and accomplice vehicle information, his face in the video clearly matches his mugshot which can be found on google. Comes up as the VERY FIRST few pictures!!!!!! Yet a year later no one is arrested or prosecuted, the last time i saw the accomplice vehicle ride past my dealership, i waved at it..... (i never met or knew the theives before or after the theft) i do have the truck back though as they drove by my dealership in it one day 'bout 2 months after the theft, i chased them and that's how i got it back. the other theft, i don't know who took it, but after shooting at the thief, he dropped his hat which should be filled with his dna..... not so much as a call from an investigator about that one... i got that car back too though... my point for mentioning that though is... if they aren't prosecuting car thefts here even after the thief is identified on video... where would someone think a prosecution of an owner who cuts his own cat converter off fall... ??? not saying it's right.. just sayin it's not enforced.

HyperX said:   My colleague's Pontiac Montana gets its Catalytic Converters stolen in Metro Detroit. This happened 4 times in the past 1 year. Good deal for him.
  That's one of the drawbacks of high ground clearance.  Also if a vehicle has a cat identical to the kind found in some popular models, its cat gets stolen.

george2001 said:   If someone just wants to remain Protestant, of what use is a Catalytic converter?
Actually it's used by aggressive Protestants to convert Catalysts.

MeIsCheap said:   There was a string of catalytic converters being stolen from Park 'n Ride lots near me, so other than it going bad, there's another reason you might need one, though I doubt you will be waiting for a sale to get one if that's your luck

They steal them becuz they contain $75-100 worth of platinum inside the larger models.  They scrap them out and buy crack with it probably.   

WantTheBest said:   Excellent points about the federal laws. I did fail to mention that part. I will say this, it's not enforced here. Hell, full blown car theives don't even get arrested or prosecuted here. I've had 2 vehicles stolen in the last 12 months, first one i have video of the thief getting in my truck and driving off, have his full name and accomplice vehicle information, his face in the video clearly matches his mugshot which can be found on google. Comes up as the VERY FIRST few pictures!!!!!! Yet a year later no one is arrested or prosecuted, the last time i saw the accomplice vehicle ride past my dealership, i waved at it..... (i never met or knew the theives before or after the theft) i do have the truck back though as they drove by my dealership in it one day 'bout 2 months after the theft, i chased them and that's how i got it back. the other theft, i don't know who took it, but after shooting at the thief, he dropped his hat which should be filled with his dna..... not so much as a call from an investigator about that one... i got that car back too though... my point for mentioning that though is... if they aren't prosecuting car thefts here even after the thief is identified on video... where would someone think a prosecution of an owner who cuts his own cat converter off fall... ??? not saying it's right.. just sayin it's not enforced.
  That's because our police force is too busy with real crimes... like writing speeding tickets.

dkd711 said:   
MeIsCheap said:   There was a string of catalytic converters being stolen from Park 'n Ride lots near me, so other than it going bad, there's another reason you might need one, though I doubt you will be waiting for a sale to get one if that's your luck

They steal them becuz they contain $75-100 worth of platinum inside the larger models.  They scrap them out and buy crack with it probably.   

What a waste. I would be getting H&B myself.

I don't actually need one, but just for kicks I ran the numbers and rockauto still works out cheaper. Advance Auto just marks up their prices so much so that the 30% discount makes it close to the online price, but once you factor in shipping/tax and the 5% rockauto discount code, mine would have been $30 cheaper. Guess it really depends on what kind of car you have though. Also good I guess if you need it right away and can't wait.

I was told by tech at Subaru dealership that it is the winter additive in the gas that is killing Cat converters in the NE where I live.
Are there any stats to show a difference in replacement #s by region (gas additives)?

Skipping 2 Messages...
jesrf said:   Mines never failed on any of my Crown Vic's....
  if yoursens never failed ya be luckies......Crown Vic's rule even in the Kentucky mines country.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014