• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Hi, this is my first post, I have h2o wireless and didn't see any posts on this. I think this news is about a month old.

H2O Wireless is an AT&T MVNO. If your phone is a GSM and you're not under contract, they have a per minute plan that is attractive to those of us with low usage or who do most of our data over wifi.

They recently reduced their plan to the following:
5 cents per minute of talk time (unchanged)
5 cents per text
10 cents per MB of data (was 30 cents previously)
https://www.h2owirelessnow.com/pageControl.php?page=planMin 
ALSO, they extended the time window for their minimum refill amount. You can now refill with as little as $10 and the refill is good for three months!. Previously it was only 1 month.
(In theory), this means one could have a cell phone bill as low as $3.33 a month.
Anyway, this is good news for folks like me with access to WIFI at home, work, school, big box stores, starbucks etc etc.
There are other GSM MVNOs out there, another cheap one for per minute is ptel.com, but their refill is good for only two months.

Member Summary

h2o Wireless (31.59kB)
Thanks Neilium
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Excellent recommendation! MVNO's differ by parent company (ATT vs Verizon vs T-Mobile vs Sprint) and also you will get f... (more)

TonyDls (Sep. 19, 2013 @ 8:03a) |

You've got the correct link.  The paygo plan is spelled out in the paragraph discussing the $16/mo plan.  It states "rec... (more)

shallot (Sep. 21, 2013 @ 10:48p) |

Lycmobile # transfer
"Contact the Customer Services of your existing provider, tell them you wish to change provider and... (more)

ggmon (Sep. 30, 2013 @ 1:07p) |

Here is a Wikipedia link for all of the US MVNO

link

It also shows which towers they use....
Staff Summary

Airvoice has a $10/3mo plan. Minutes are more expensive, but data is cheaper: https://www.airvoicewireless.com/PlansB.aspx  Also an ATT MVNO.

Edit: just noticed the "monthly maintenance fee."  That makes H20 a better deal for most.

Cool, good to know !!

Wait, H2O wants a $10 shipping fee for a SIM card??

Get your SIM from Amazonhttp://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B005XB7RH0/ref=dp_olp_new...

how is their quality compared to tmoible

Yeah that could be true on the sim....however, I bought my sim on eBay for a buck. eBay is a great source for cheap SIMs, I also bought two simple mobile sims for a buck, just to force an unlock code request on my wife's ATT phone.

Not sure how h2o compares to T-Mobile since I haven't used T-Mobile. I had Att go-phone service prior to h2o and think h2o is comparable.

Redbeard25 said:   Wait, H2O wants a $10 shipping fee for a SIM card??

Get your SIM from Amazonhttp://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B005XB7RH0/ref=dp_olp_new...

didn't notice your link for the 11cent sim! I got ripped off for a dollar lol

just got my sim off Amazon last week for 6 cents. going to give H2O a try just to see how the service is

Check out ptel.com, I've been on platinum tel for two months now. Ptel is a T-Mobile reseller so all locked T-Mobile phones work. Rates: Talk 5c Text 2c Data is 10c MB

I'm not using data as I'm usually in wifi range so I turn off data. I'm spending about $20 a month and loving it.

Sounds like a good deal. Does anyone know if H2O provides 4G LTE?

ALSO lycamobile is tmobile MV--, and its 2cents per minute, funds never to expire as long as u use it once every six months. using it for last 3 months.

For what it's worth, I was a H2O minute plan customer for a long time with a dumbphone. Worked fine. Then upgraded to a smartphone and had fun where every little sip of data generated a "you used $0.00 and your remaining balance is X" USSD message that I had to clear before I could use the phone... and they stacked up. Supposedly H2O can't turn that off because it's an AT&T thing (probably designed to punish MVNO users).

I switched over to Ptel months ago and all is good.

Nice to hear about these other providers. So many seem to be under the radar...

That didn't read like an ad AT ALL.

mbslynch said:   Nice to hear about these other providers. So many seem to be under the radar...

Some of the best MVNO's are Red Pocket, Pure Talk, H2O (as mentioned) AirVoice, SkyView and Net10 (the AT&T card version - avoid the T-Mobile version).  All these services work off AT&T towers and include roaming in HI, AK, VI, and PR.

H2O's year plan is 2000 minutes for $100 for users that don't need more than 2000 minutes a year.

Dumping AT&T for an MVNO keeps you on the same towers for a lot less -- and no fees, taxes or activation charges.  Also no charge to move your number or change plans.

ChefJoe said:   For what it's worth, I was a H2O minute plan customer for a long time with a dumbphone. Worked fine. Then upgraded to a smartphone and had fun where every little sip of data generated a "you used $0.00 and your remaining balance is X" USSD message that I had to clear before I could use the phone... and they stacked up. Supposedly H2O can't turn that off because it's an AT&T thing (probably designed to punish MVNO users).

I switched over to Ptel months ago and all is good.

One warning about H20 is their monthly plan comes with some data.  For example, the $30/mo plan is unlimited voice & text and comes with 50MB of data.  I rarely use data but the balance says 0 so I called cust serv.  Was told I've used up all my data for the month.  I checked my phone log and it shows I used less than 10MB so far.  WTF.  They also said they cannot supply a log of my data usage.  In other words, they can say whatever they want regarding my data balance and I have to like it.  Someone slap me.  What a bunch of sheeeet.

Could a person use that $5 ATT Go Phone from Best Buy a month back on one of these MVNOs, or would it need to be unlocked?

mbslynch said:   Hi, this is my first post, I have h2o wireless and didn't see any posts on this. I think this news is about a month old.

H2O Wireless is an AT&T MVNO. If your phone is a GSM and you're not under contract, they have a per minute plan that is attractive to those of us with low usage or who do most of our data over wifi.

They recently reduced their plan to the following:
5 cents per minute of talk time (unchanged)
5 cents per text
10 cents per MB of data (was 30 cents previously)
https://www.h2owirelessnow.com/pageControl.php?page=planMin  
ALSO, they extended the time window for their minimum refill amount. You can now refill with as little as $10 and the refill is good for three months!. Previously it was only 1 month.
(In theory), this means one could have a cell phone bill as low as $3.33 a month.
Anyway, this is good news for folks like me with access to WIFI at home, work, school, big box stores, starbucks etc etc.
There are other GSM MVNOs out there, another cheap one for per minute is ptel.com, but their refill is good for only two months.

Welcome to the forum and congrats on a nice post.

Dano

anonguy said:   Could a person use that $5 ATT Go Phone from Best Buy a month back on one of these MVNOs, or would it need to be unlocked?
  Yes you can.  No need to unlock.

These are all prepaid ATT coverage, correct? (except for the ones that say Tmo obviously). I just wanted to mention that as a reminder on coverage area (and the other that there won't be roaming?)

I am using Lycamobile (pay as you go)which can give you 2 cents / minute, 4 c/text and 6 c/Mb data. I am happy with the plan. your number will be deactivated if you don't make any call in 120 days.

Good!I like it.

Here is a Wikipedia link for all of the US MVNO

link

It also shows which towers they use....

Question: I have an old "dumb" phone (Moto Razr) and have a voice plan w/AT&T. I don't pay the extra $15/month for data. I would like to upgrade to a smart phone with data.

So if I go with H2O or one of the others mentioned in this thread, does that automatically give me a data plan? And if I then buy a smart phone I'll be all set with data? If so, that would be a terrific savings for me.

Thanks

SendMeMoney, yeah if u go with the MONTHLY PLAN with data allowance usage, your smart phone (must be already AT&T pre-locked) will just work like that the moment you put in the sim card.

Love Lycamobile !!!

I have H2O and I did not have any problem. I saw on this post that Lycamobile is even cheaper, but can anyone tell me if you have to load the minimum ($10) every month? or every 90 days?. What I don't like about Lycamobile is they use T-Mobile towers (the coverage in Miami is not as good as ATT)

LvBrknHrt said:   SendMeMoney, yeah if u go with the MONTHLY PLAN with data allowance usage, your smart phone (must be already AT&T pre-locked) will just work like that the moment you put in the sim card.
  But don't all the plans, even the $10/month plan allow data usage?

Put my grandparents on Lyca @.02/min. funded w $5 a month ago..current balance $4.82.

SendMeMoney said:   
LvBrknHrt said:   SendMeMoney, yeah if u go with the MONTHLY PLAN with data allowance usage, your smart phone (must be already AT&T pre-locked) will just work like that the moment you put in the sim card.
  But don't all the plans, even the $10/month plan allow data usage?

As far as I know, H20 does not have a $10/month plan. Their PAYGO $10 expires in 90 days. If you can make $10 last 90 days, you are a light user. My girlfriend uses Airvoice $10 plan (4c min/2c text) and she adds $10 about every 25 days.

Damnit, so it looks like once my AT&T Go Phone funds expire, I'll either have to go with H2O or Lycamobile.

Lycamobile is the cheapest.

I have a dedicated crappy phone with Lycamobile SIM to make international calls.

I use Verizon as my main phone since I do value their coverage and reliability.

nintendonly said:   Damnit, so it looks like once my AT&T Go Phone funds expire, I'll either have to go with H2O or Lycamobile.
  Is you ATT phone unlocked? Is this a prepaid phone? Might want to check with Lycamobile for compatibility or check if flashing phone is possible to use on TMobile NW. Might also want to check if Lyca coverage suits your needs.

TonyDls said:   
nintendonly said:   Damnit, so it looks like once my AT&T Go Phone funds expire, I'll either have to go with H2O or Lycamobile.
  Is you ATT phone unlocked? Is this a prepaid phone? Might want to check with Lycamobile for compatibility or check if flashing phone is possible to use on TMobile NW. Might also want to check if Lyca coverage suits your needs.

I just had my AT&T LG G2 unlocked.   

What's great about H2O is that they have AT&T reception and their products are available at Best Buy. Lyca suffers from T-Mobile reception and online-only purchases, but they supply you the SIM cards for free.

Hmm...

i bought 100 H2O sim card starter kits... PM me if you want me to send you 5 or 10-20-50....

There's a lot of good info on howardforums.

Not all MVNO's are alike. They may even differ by how data is routed (higher latencies) and priority during peak hours. In general, Gophone and possibly Aio (a subsidiary of ATT) may be the prepaid choices that are directly below ATT postpaid customers. 

mbseeker said:   i bought 100 H2O sim card starter kits... PM me if you want me to send you 5 or 10-20-50....
  Why and how?

Voyager mobile, Knoxville, Tenn is $17.00 unlimited talk and $ 19.00 unlimited talk&text

Skipping 9 Messages...
Lycmobile # transfer
"Contact the Customer Services of your existing provider, tell them you wish to change provider and ask them for your PIN code and account number, check with them that there is no charge for this."

Why would they say "check with them that there is no charge for this" ?

Also is it possible to port from lycamobile to other MVNO providers?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014