• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Purchase on StraightTalk.com
UPDATE: I understand that you must purchase a $45 card with this, so use it or sell it.... You will need it anyway or break even for selling.

YMMV depending on zip code because they don't offer all phones in all areas, so just input your zip to find out if you can get it.
Straight Talk uses the VERIZON network for their iPhones.

UPDATE: FatCash not Eligible.....SO Use the befrugal.com 22% Cash.Back and earn $88, effectively making the phone $322.
http://www.befrugal.com/coupons/store/straighttalk    

$400 16gb iPhone 5 Refurb.        
 
I don't know much about iPhones, I don't like Apple. But, many people do.

Straight Talk
Need a Straight Talk coupon that earns Up to 13.5% FatWallet Cash Back?
Member Summary

White or Black
Thanks ZombieHunter
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
It works on pageplus with no modifications necessary. In fact, the StraightTalk iPhone 5 is the ONLY iPhone 5 that will ... (more)

BADADVICE (Jan. 02, 2014 @ 8:26p) |

The warranty is with Apple, but it's likely the date will be incorrect. You have to send Apple your tracking and order c... (more)

BADADVICE (Jan. 02, 2014 @ 8:33p) |

looks like they change the Cash Back. few month ago was based on a percentage, no cap.

wiru (Jan. 03, 2014 @ 1:07p) |

Terms & Exclusions for Straight Talk:

30% Cash Back on Phone Sales Under $249.99
$50.00 Cash Back on Phone Sales Over $249.99
$50.00 Cash Back on Select Top Tier Phones
For a full list of phones considered "Top Tier" by Straight Talk, visit: http://www.befrugal.com/articles/cash-back-exclusions/straight-talk-top-tier-phones-2/
Cash Back valid on the purchase price of phones only. Airtime, minutes, and plans are not eligible for Cash Back.









Specifications Display - 4-inch (diagonal) Multi-Touch Retina display
Resolution - 1136-by-640-pixel resolution at 326 ppi
Storage -16GB3
Cellular -UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); CDMA EV-DO Rev. A and Rev. B (800, 1900, 2100 MHz)4
Wireless data -802.11a/b/g/n Wi-Fi (802.11n 2.4GHz and 5GHz) Bluetooth 4.0 wireless technology
GPS - Assisted GPS
Camera -8-megapixel iSight camera for photos and 1080p HD
1080p HD video recording

Includes in the box iPhone 5, Apple EarPods with Remote and Mic, Lightning to USB Cable, USB Power Adapter, documentation

At least in Puget Sound:


*This phone will only work with the $45 Unlimited* Plan or the $60 Unlimited* + International Plan
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I am giving green on this one. I don't care for iPhones, but this is a good deal on a no contract iPhone. Sure there are phones I would prefer for less, but some people are determined to have an iPhone and this is about as cheap as you are going to find a 5 with a legit warranty and no contract.

I read somewhere that the sim card on this phone comes unlocked and can be used with tmobile and att?

can someone confirm?

maybe wishful thinking, TIA.

wiru

Better off waiting for a brand new nexus 5

wiru said:   I read somewhere that the sim card on this phone comes unlocked and can be used with tmobile and att?

can someone confirm?

maybe wishful thinking, TIA.

wiru

  Found this; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ml9kC6exUj4 

BUT, I don't know, I don't use iPhones... so keep researching.

cheeto said:   Better off waiting for a brand new nexus 5
  Buyers of iPhones, don't want Androids..... ok maybe 1% do.

ZombieHunter said:   
cheeto said:   Better off waiting for a brand new nexus 5
  Buyers of iPhones, don't want Androids..... ok maybe 1% do.

 Plenty of iPhone users would be very happy with a higher end Android or WP phone.  That said, if someone really wants an iPhone, there is no reason to try and push them elsewhere.

ZombieHunter said:   
cheeto said:   Better off waiting for a brand new nexus 5
  Buyers of iPhones, don't want Androids..... ok maybe 1% do.

  There are more and more people leaning towards buying an android phone, but it's obvious, whoever is checking out this thread is not interested in Androids

unnamedny said:   
ZombieHunter said:   
cheeto said:   Better off waiting for a brand new nexus 5
  Buyers of iPhones, don't want Androids..... ok maybe 1% do.

  There are more and more people leaning towards buying an android phone, but it's obvious, whoever is checking out this thread is not interested in Androids

  While more likely than not, someone could simply be looking for a good smartphone deal and is open.  So no, it isn't obvious.

CashBack Link takes me to a Samsung cell phone option with no other options. Clicking on the StraightTalk logo takes me to the site but will this affect the CashBack? Also, looks like you have to buy a minute plan with the phone making it $445.

Is there a way to buy this iphone without adding the plan to the cart?

ZombieHunter said:   Straight Talk uses the VERIZON network for their iPhones.
  
Correction: Straight Talk only uses the Verizon 3G network for their iPhones, no LTE. And Verizon and Sprint have incredibly slow 3G data. Better to get an AT&T (or unlocked with AT&T LTE bands, which this doesn't have) iPhone 5 and get the new Straight Talk SIM that works on AT&T's LTE network (though even AT&T's non-LTE "4G" network is dramatically faster than Verizon's 3G).

These are also Straight Talk reconditioned, not Apple refurbished, so you'll only have the balance of Apple warranty based on when the phone was originally purchased. 

Thanks ZombieHunter my daughter just pulled the trigger on a White I phone 5. So yes the deal works in Phoenix. She needed Verizon because she works part time at a Summer Camp in Northern, AZ. and they have only Verizon service. Me I'm with Cheeto I'm waiting to get a Galaxy Nexus 5. I'll put it on At&t via AIO. Thanks again

This is a CRAZY good deal.

22% CashBack with BeFrugal on all phone sales .

It may take a little while for the payout but you do get paid.
I bought the iphone 5 from Straight Talk (full price) but with the BeFrugal CashBack.
Knockd it down to a little under $500.

$400 refurb with a 22% CashBack rebate is insane.

That's $312 after CashBack from BeFrugal.
Beat that!

BTW Straight Talk iphones are factory unlocked and are both CDMA and GSM (nano-sim) ready.

KYBOSH said:   BTW Straight Talk iphones are factory unlocked and are both CDMA and GSM (nano-sim) ready.
  
This is technically true but practically speaking it's a bit disingenuous. It cannot be activated on either Verizon or Sprint for CDMA, just Straight Talk, and on AT&T it doesn't support LTE (and on T-Mobile it doesn't even support 3G), so it's basically an iPhone 5 without any LTE support. And LTE was one of the main reasons to get an iPhone 5.

esoterica said:   
KYBOSH said:   BTW Straight Talk iphones are factory unlocked and are both CDMA and GSM (nano-sim) ready.
  
This is technically true but practically speaking it's a bit disingenuous. They cannot be activated on either Verizon or Sprint for CDMA, just Straight Talk, and on GSM they don't support LTE (and on T-Mobile they don't support 3G), so it's basically an iPhone 5 without any LTE support. And LTE was one of the main reasons to get an iPhone 5.

  

Yeah, I dont know the technicals.
Not sure why it can't be activated for those carriers you mentioned but this maybe a good incentive to switch to ST.
They level of service (phone service) for the prices they are charging can't be beat.
Also I read that ST just came out with a Simcard that supports LTE if that's important to you.
 

KYBOSH said:   
esoterica said:   
KYBOSH said:   BTW Straight Talk iphones are factory unlocked and are both CDMA and GSM (nano-sim) ready.
  
This is technically true but practically speaking it's a bit disingenuous. They cannot be activated on either Verizon or Sprint for CDMA, just Straight Talk, and on GSM they don't support LTE (and on T-Mobile they don't support 3G), so it's basically an iPhone 5 without any LTE support. And LTE was one of the main reasons to get an iPhone 5.

  

Yeah, I dont know the technicals.
Not sure why it can't be activated for those carriers you mentioned but this maybe a good incentive to switch to ST.
They level of service (phone service) for the prices they are charging can't be beat.
Also I read that ST just came out with a Simcard that supports LTE if that's important to you.

  
Verizon and Sprint won't activate an ST iPhone because the ESN isn't in their databases (VZW and Sprint have never supported bring-your-own-phone, either unlocked or from another carrier). 

I covered the Straight Talk LTE SIM above, Straight Talk LTE uses the AT&T network but the CDMA iPhone 5 (model A1429) that Straight Talk sells doesn't support AT&T's LTE bands (only A1428 does). So, there is no way to get LTE on this phone. It's why it's cheap, and why the resale value of Straight Talk iPhones is much worse than any other iPhones.

The 5 is a legit product (merely a 5c without the plastic-y back).

Don't let the "IT'S DISCONTINUED" sway you away. It's a good phone (have one from work but prefer my HTC One on my personal line).

Edit: wait, this is the CDMA model? No LTE? What?

Actually, I do not like IPhones, I think they are just over hyped by the people and nothing more. The much hyped 5C is also a waste I like Samsung more.

emarketing23 said:   Actually, I do not like IPhones, I think they are just over hyped by the people and nothing more. The much hyped 5C is also a waste I like Samsung more.
  And why do you bother to threadcrap?

savvy002 said:   Is there a way to buy this iphone without adding the plan to the cart?
The "plan" is a "service card" -  a small piece of cardboard with a unique "service pin" which is used to add one month access. It is the same as the "service cards" available at Wal-Mart. Although StraightTalk/TracPhone may retain record of purchase of the unique pin, the cards are not fully attached to an individual phone until redeemed. Thus, physical transfer of ownership is most likely possible.

FYI, I do not believe this phone is eligible for FatWallet CashBack.
If you go to the CashBack store http://www.fatwallet.com/Straight-Talk-coupons/ , the "Shop Now" link takes you to offers.StraightTalk.com. The iphone isn't listed there. You need to go to www.straighttalk.com to purchase the iphone.

To be certain, I emailed fatwallet about this, and this was their reply:

Hello Larry,

Thank you for writing in with your question. Unfortunately the purchase would not be eligible for Cash Back.
This merchant has a few conditions regarding Cash Back one being (Cash Back not available on the purchase of items purchased through the my account section).

Because you have to sign up from www.StraightTalk.com, they would not consider that eligible for Cash Back.

Thank you for thinking of FatWallet when you shop!

Tammi
FatWallet.com


So buyer beware!

larryc said:   FYI, I do not believe this phone is eligible for FatWallet CashBack.
If you go to the CashBack store http://www.fatwallet.com/Straight-Talk-coupons/   , the "Shop Now" link takes you to offers.StraightTalk.com. The iphone isn't listed there. You need to go to www.straighttalk.com   to purchase the iphone.

To be certain, I emailed fatwallet about this, and this was their reply:

Hello Larry,

Thank you for writing in with your question. Unfortunately the purchase would not be eligible for Cash Back.
This merchant has a few conditions regarding Cash Back one being (Cash Back not available on the purchase of items purchased through the my account section).

Because you have to sign up from www.StraightTalk.com,   they would not consider that eligible for Cash Back.

Thank you for thinking of FatWallet when you shop!

Tammi
FatWallet.com


So buyer beware!

  go with befrugal.com then for 22% back http://www.befrugal.com/coupons/store/straighttalk 
Effectively making it $322

ZombieHunter said:     go with befrugal.com then for 22% back
What makes you think they won't have the same restrictions?

billrubin said:   
ZombieHunter said:     go with befrugal.com then for 22% back
What makes you think they won't have the same restrictions?

What makes you think they do? Do you know something? 

Befrugal Terms & Exclusions for Straight Talk:

  • 22% Cash.Back on Phone Sales
  • Cash.Back valid on the purchase price of phones only. Airtime, minutes, and plans are not eligible for Cash.Back.
     

I am planning to buy for India, they don't have LTE.  Is it good for India?

which credit card doubles the warranty on refurbished product?  thanks

if  you currently have ST $45 plan on iPhone 4 (with ATT micro sim), can you transfer your number to this phone? does it come with sim card or is  it CDMA? How easy is to unlock this phone?

TAX kills this deal.  I went all the way through to checkout, and you have to enter credit card number before they give you total (I HATE sites that do this) and discovered there were $45 in taxes.  No thanks.  Otherwise this is a deal.  Great if you live in New Hampshire or some other tax free state.

niceguy82 said:   TAX kills this deal.  I went all the way through to checkout, and you have to enter credit card number before they give you total (I HATE sites that do this) and discovered there were $45 in taxes.  No thanks.  Otherwise this is a deal.  Great if you live in New Hampshire or some other tax free state.
  Find us a Tax free iphone 5 deal then for less.

Can this phone be used on Verizon?

bentlax33 said:   Can this phone be used on Verizon?
  no

ZombieHunter said:   
bentlax33 said:   Can this phone be used on Verizon?
  no

Could be a silly question, but can this be used with page plus?

yes with pageplus.
 

You can probably do better with craigslist, and not have to worry about waiting 2 months for your 22% Cash Back and reselling a prepaid card you may not want o r need.
I found this for $400 with manufacturer's warranty
http://www.artfire.com/ext/shop/product_view/mrated/7313946/apple_iphone_5_16gb_unlocked/commercial/office_and_business_/organization_and_planning  
I could find no info on Straight Talk warranty but posts here said it would be limited to the original purchase prior to refurbishing which is likely 90 days or less remaining.
It's still a warm deal, but not hot enough for me to bite. And tax should always be disclosed in the subject if it applies.

You'd probably have to confirm if the warranty on these refurbs are covered by Apple or ST? If Apple then you Are golden because Apple refurbs enjoy the same warranty coverage as a brand new item.
Im willing to bet the warranty id covered by Apple though.

And remeber Squaretrade warranties cover refurbs no matter where they were purchased. 

I have bought Straight Talk refurbs, and Straight Talk provided a one year warranty serviced by themselves. Their refurbs have been like new. Note that they are using the term reconditioned for the I phones, not refurbished.

ZombieHunter said:   
bentlax33 said:   Can this phone be used on Verizon?
  no

A little confused on this.  An online rep tells me all iphones ST sells are verizon version, yet they don't work with verizon?
Just curious; I have no intention to use verizon.

Skipping 22 Messages...
BADADVICE said:   Ummm... did nobody take time to read the terms for the BrFrugal Cash Back?? You only get $50 back.

Terms & Exclusions for Straight Talk:

30% Cash Back on Phone Sales Under $249.99
$50.00 Cash Back on Phone Sales Over $249.99
$50.00 Cash Back on Select Top Tier Phones
For a full list of phones considered "Top Tier" by Straight Talk, visit: http://www.befrugal.com/articles/cash-back-exclusions/straight-t... 
Cash Back valid on the purchase price of phones only. Airtime, minutes, and plans are not eligible for Cash Back.

  looks like they change the Cash Back. few month ago was based on a percentage, no cap.



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014