• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I went to Home Depot today and picked up 3 packages of EcoSmart Spiral 60W CFL Lightbulbs for $1.97 a package. They have them in Daylight-reg. $8.97 pkg or Soft White-reg $6.97 pkg. They are 60W with 14W of energy used.  Soft White: Model # ES5M8144   Store SKU # 423599      Daylight: Model # ES5M814450K   Store SKU # 161167 

Home Depot
See Home Depot coupons that earn 4.0% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

home depot
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
1.97 for daylight and 0.97 for soft white at Bitter Lake HD, Seattle.

jwsm (Sep. 25, 2013 @ 6:06p) |

It now looks like there is a limit of 10 per order. I'm not sure how many people will buy 10 though?

voyagerbob (Sep. 29, 2013 @ 3:27p) |

Sent you a PM a while ago. Still waiting on the response.

aarzi (Oct. 01, 2013 @ 7:36p) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

store specific?

daddyweiss said:   store specific?
  Enter your store location and see if they're available. I just went to my local Home Depot, in Ogden Utah, and I was just browsing the aisles and I saw the price.

daddyweiss said:   store specific?
Yes, these very low prices always mean the local utility is subsidizing the price.

It's $2.97 for all the stores near 60060.  Costco near me get a bulbs subsidized by ComEd which is cheaper than this.

$8.97 for me in NY since Con Edison does not offer deals like this. $5.97 in CT. I've gotten really great deals on bulbs at Costco in CT, roughly the same price as OP had, maybe for more bulbs.

.97 in Bethesda, Md

Update 9/24: Website now reflects regular price, not sure about instore price.

In Central NJ, prices for soft white is $2.97, daylight $3.97

BTW, showing on web site at $6.97/$8.97.  Must add to cart to see discount price as above.

.97!? Dang, buy 10 and send them to me.

SF Bay area, $8.97 for daylight and $6.97 for soft white.

2.97 in Oxford MA - green all the way for this guy - pun not intended.

$5.97 and $4.97 here in 33076

$6.97 and $4.97 in Portland, OR

nada

lynne122 said:   $5.97 and $4.97 here in 33076
  same in southern nevada

same in Dallas, TX area

billrubin said:   $8.97 for me in NY since Con Edison does not offer deals like this. $5.97 in CT. I've gotten really great deals on bulbs at Costco in CT, roughly the same price as OP had, maybe for more bulbs.
  Don't know where you are in NY to see $8.97 but here using zip 11373,11105 they are $5.97 and $4.97.
Not bad, in for two 4-pack each, should  be good for the next 3-5 years I hope

Do these bulbs still take a while to warm up to full brightness? I bought these a few years back and they take a minute or two to brighten up. How is the color compared to other CFL bulbs?

These are a Consumer Reports "best buy" and rated 2nd highest overall in the CFL category (13 watts).

Our local utility subsidizes these so they're regularly .97 cents per pack of 4.

I've replaced all 60 watt to 75 watt incandescent bulbs throughout my place with them and have had only one that went bad, which was used outside during a brutally cold winter last year (I just wanted to see if it would survive in 0 degree f weather) in 14 months.

I think they're made by Feit, but in case in terms of quality, color and "instant on," they're better than Sylvania, Philips or GE CFLs that I've used in the past.

missFisherman said:   
billrubin said:   $8.97 for me in NY since Con Edison does not offer deals like this. $5.97 in CT. I've gotten really great deals on bulbs at Costco in CT, roughly the same price as OP had, maybe for more bulbs.
  Don't know where you are in NY to see $8.97 but here using zip 11373,11105 they are $5.97 and $4.97.
Not bad, in for two 4-pack each, should  be good for the next 3-5 years I hope

Yup.  Same here in 11204 @ $5.97 and 4.97.  bought 2 packs of daylight for the kitchen last week.  Daylight its bright!!!  whereas the softwhite that I had was yellowish.  I am debating whether I should replace the softwhite in the dining room (next to kitchen) with the daylight.  Its kind of awkward when both on them is on at the same time.

vipersky said:   Do these bulbs still take a while to warm up to full brightness? I bought these a few years back and they take a minute or two to brighten up. How is the color compared to other CFL bulbs?

the flood cfl from ecosmart lights up really slow. but the spiral ones are o.k.

jqguo said:   vipersky said:   Do these bulbs still take a while to warm up to full brightness? I bought these a few years back and they take a minute or two to brighten up. How is the color compared to other CFL bulbs?

the flood cfl from ecosmart lights up really slow. but the spiral ones are o.k.

The spirals are the ones I commented on above, and they're not slow to warm up whatsoever; they light up instantly.

Drew510 said:   $6.97 and $4.97 in Portland, OR

$5.97 and $4.97 in Vancouver, WA

OP thanks a lot. For the ones (myself included) that see them at $4 or $5, WM always has their Great Value brand at these prices. So far they have performed as well as the other brands I have been using - Feit, Greenlite etc. Their soft-whites are 2700K though, would have preferred 3100K. Miss living in CA when Frys often had them on sale 4 for $1 without any utility rebates.

2.97 n 4.97 in aliso Viejo, socal

rsuaver said:   In Central NJ, prices for soft white is $2.97, daylight $3.97

BTW, showing on web site at $6.97/$8.97.  Must add to cart to see discount price as above.

Showed 8.97 and 6.97 in Arizona until you added them to the cart and then they went down to 2.97 and .97.  Great post OP>

Does anyone know why when I put these expensive bulbs they don't even last a year like the old incadecent ones? I tried them inall different lights, inside and out. I do have an old Federal Electric Fuse box and wires when the house was built in 1958. I feel I am wasting my money paying 4.00 a bulb and they don't last the 5 or 7 years they say they will. Any help here to make them last longer?
I am low income disabled in chronic pain everyday on SSD and probably going to have to sell my house in the next couple years as I cannot afford the bills. Ins on house raised this year to 2000. and no claims. Car ins also went up and no claims. Maint. went up... I have to charge my bills.

the ecosmart daylight # ES5M814450K 4 pk ia avail in richardson, tx 75081 store for 5.97 and it is a 4 pack. Several other stores in Dallas have this but no discount when you add it to your cart. Most HD stores will give veterans 5%- 105 OFF IF JUST SHOWING some type of military card like a VA card with your picture on it if buying something out of store, not on preorders for pickup,

.97 in Lebanon, PA

myluckyboytion said:   Does anyone know why when I put these expensive bulbs they don't even last a year like the old incadecent ones? I tried them inall different lights, inside and out. I do have an old Federal Electric Fuse box and wires when the house was built in 1958. I feel I am wasting my money paying 4.00 a bulb and they don't last the 5 or 7 years they say they will. Any help here to make them last longer?
I am low income disabled in chronic pain everyday on SSD and probably going to have to sell my house in the next couple years as I cannot afford the bills. Ins on house raised this year to 2000. and no claims. Car ins also went up and no claims. Maint. went up... I have to charge my bills.

The voltage, or ground, may not be regulated properly in the house. Is the house wired with 3 wires (Positive, Neutral, ground)? You might was to have an electrician check the wiring and you may need a fuse box.
It may be cheaper to replace your light bulbs each year, than to replace your fuse box.

myluckyboytion said:   Does anyone know why when I put these expensive bulbs they don't even last a year like the old incadecent ones? I tried them inall different lights, inside and out. I do have an old Federal Electric Fuse box and wires when the house was built in 1958. I feel I am wasting my money paying 4.00 a bulb and they don't last the 5 or 7 years they say they will. Any help here to make them last longer?

Incandescents are extremely resilient as they're just a wire/filament that dissipates the energy provided to it. CFLs and LEDs are getting better but will still have trouble with old wiring and poor load management/conditioning by the electric company. The electric company may be willing to check the quality of your service for free. Even if you don't fix your problem, it still may be worth using CFLs in high use locations for most the of the year (in the winter, the extra energy is given off as heat which you probably could use anyway). Also, many CFLs or LEDs have warranties so you could swap them out at the store you bought them from if they die early. I suggest you look everywhere on things to cut back on and price shop for insurance (and since you have few assets/income and no claims, only minimal car insurance is likely needed on a small # of miles). Good luck.

They're $6.97 here in 60015 (Chicago area). 

Its $4.97 in MN

Thanks!  97 cents in Midland, MI zip 48640...said 369 in stock last night, bought 30 packs for rentals, etc.  there were loads of them and a couple cardboard displays set up in the light bulb aisle with them on it.  40w and 60w for that price, 75w were $1.97.

No go in Detroit, MI

CFL bulbs are a total joke. There is nothing Eco or Smart about these. They are a toxic nightmare. Perhaps if Americans could be trusted to recycle them properly it would be OK. But what percentage of people are actually going to save their old broken light bulbs and drive them to Home Depot? Or even know to do so? Even in the seven states where it is illegal to dispose of them in the garbage, do you think most people actually care enough to recycle them? Pray that you never shatter one because you can't safely clean it up with anything short of a HAZMAT team. Small children in the house? Do you really want to risk exposing them to inhalation of mercury vapors? There is a reason they no longer use mercury in thermometers. Yes, they save energy, and thus reduce the amount of mercury released by burning coal. But wouldn't it be a wiser choice to reduce our dependency on coal and oil?

Stock up on incandescent bulbs while you still can. It will be a few years before anyone in Texas starts producing them.

Seriously? Aren't you overdoing it? Didn't you play with mercury in thermometers as a kid?

Thanks Tholzer and The Meliorist for telling me about old wiring. (My Federal fuse box & wiring) I am in Dallas and the electric current is not even and goes out every so often for a little while in our neighborhood. I have UPS boxes on my computers and surge protectors on other outlets. I have gone through several UPS boxes that saved my sons computer but not the UPS box. They are worth it for us.

I only have 2 wires coming out of an outlet not the 3rd grounding wire. I did have some plugs replaced and the put the grounding wire from the new plugs onto some metal before closing it up and putting the plate cover on.

Dallas TX must have overworked or lazy employees even one time when a truck broke an electric wire and it landed on my metal shed it took several calls and several days to come out and get it off. That is only one of many examples I have.

I think I will take your advice and buy the old bulbs for a while. What about LEDS?

Skipping 10 Messages...
Mth4War said:   .97 in Lebanon, PA
  Sent you a PM a while ago. Still waiting on the response.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014