• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

LYNX Touch 5100
Disclaimer
HI Folks,

I am looking to make changes at home and decided to change my alarm system from wired to wireless.  My system is almost 15 years old and is failing in certain areas.  Also, I am going to change monitoring service.  Paying ADT $43 per month is just not acceptable.

So, as I looked around, I found out that Honeywell is very good in alarm systems (I own a wifi thermostat and it works very well)  The alarm./whole home system can be controlled via your phone or tablet.  You can say that this is a system for a geek.  Here are the  specs.

It is very important to stress that if you would like to use anything else rather than just the alarm, you will need to have a monitoring service to activate the whole home system.  Also, the system does not come with the wifi module or the Z Wave controller, which is the one that allows you to control the whole home.  These sell separtately, but I had read many comments that in some cases, the unit is coming with the Z Wave controller already installed.  I just bought mine today and I am hoping this is the case. 

Either way, not sure if anyone would consider this a hot deal, but I did, and I bought it...

This control panel is in Amazon right now for $199.95 when last week it was selling for $212.95.  Also, I read yesterday that some of the systems are 

Member Summary

Honeywell Ademco L5100 Lynx
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
i installed this system in my house since one year, it is wireless and works very good. i am looking external loud buzze... (more)

roseusa (Oct. 02, 2013 @ 6:44a) |

There is the Honewell 748 Dual Tone Outdoor/Indoor Siren..

http://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-Ademco-748-119db-Dual-Tone/dp/... (more)

fantasma62 (Oct. 21, 2013 @ 3:13p) |

any chances that this will have a price mark down for Black Friday/Cyber Monday? whats you guys' past experience.

cheekoogoyal (Nov. 11, 2013 @ 9:27p) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

z-wave functions can't be used outside the house without signing up for a plan with a service provider that costs 30+ a month. Unless things have changed in the last 6 months since I looked into it. I decided to go with the vera lite

With someone  like Alarm Grid, you can self monitor for $20 per month   and can use the Total Connect features which include outside connection.  Either way, thanks for your comment, I'll keep that in mind...

fantasma62 said:   With likesomeone Alarm Grid, you can self monitor for $20 per month   and can use the Total Connect features which include outside connection.  Either way, thanks for your comment, I'll keep that in mind...

According to their website, once you click the home automation button for total connect its 30 bucks and 40 with video

https://www.alarmgrid.com/monitoring

I went with a basic alarm which you can go with this as well for 199.  do the cheapest monitoring for $10 then buy a vera lite for $150 one time fee and remote control the entire house with video.

My personal opinion after doing all this, skip the alarm just get a vera lite and z-wave controllers, pick up some cheap ip cams with motion sensors.

Why self monitor when you can go with Alarm Relay for $8.95 a month? I use them and they are very professional and have called quickly when I have had a false alarm...very happ with their service. Also, if you are looking to control your alarm via internet/mobile check out Envisalink 3. It's basically a $100 module that you can hook up to certain alarm panels that allows you to control your alarm remotely. No monthly fees and provides real time status of your zones. Lastly, I ordered my alarm system online at Home Security Store and did my research on installing my own alarm diysecurityforum.

I'm not associated with any of the vendors above but spent many hours researching my system and I'm extrememly happy with the capabilities and price of what I installed.

Luniz97 said:   z-wave functions can't be used outside the house without signing up for a plan with a service provider that costs 30+ a month. Unless things have changed in the last 6 months since I looked into it. I decided to go with the vera lite
  are you sure that is accurate?
if your zwave is on your local network and you have a vera lite, all you need to do is open the port on your router to allow outside connections to vera lite web app (same way you'd access it internally)  and then perform functions from its internal web server.  no?
i just bought the vera lite, but havent installed it yet b/c i havent installed my schlage z-wave electronic key pad.

Kaczmarczyk said:   Why self monitor when you can go with Alarm Relay for $8.95 a month? I use them and they are very professional and have called quickly when I have had a false alarm...very happ with their service. Also, if you are looking to control your alarm via internet/mobile check out Envisalink 3. It's basically a $100 module that you can hook up to certain alarm panels that allows you to control your alarm remotely. No monthly fees and provides real time status of your zones. Lastly, I ordered my alarm system online at Home Security Store and did my research on installing my own alarm diysecurityforum.

I'm not associated with any of the vendors above but spent many hours researching my system and I'm extrememly happy with the capabilities and price of what I installed.

I used alarm relay as well.  I don't use the company op is referring to.

Kaczmarczyk said:   Why self monitor when you can go with Alarm Relay for $8.95 a month? I use them and they are very professional and have called quickly when I have had a false alarm...very happ with their service. Also, if you are looking to control your alarm via internet/mobile check out Envisalink 3. It's basically a $100 module that you can hook up to certain alarm panels that allows you to control your alarm remotely. No monthly fees and provides real time status of your zones. Lastly, I ordered my alarm system online at Home Security Store and did my research on installing my own alarm diysecurityforum.

This one?

http://www.eyezon.com/?page_id=176 

ShortChop said:   

This one?

http://www.eyezon.com/?page_id=176   

Yeah that's the one.

Cheaper here, http://www.homesecuritystore.com/p-2164-evl-3-envisalink-interne...

can someone explain "z-wave"? thanks

You understand this is not just the panel but rather the entire alarm system so you will have to buy all the other modules and sensors around the house. This will not work with your exising sensors or exisiting alrm panel. Just making sure you know

https://www.alarmgrid.com/faq/can-the-lynx-touch-be-used-with-th...

ionizer said:   
Luniz97 said:   z-wave functions can't be used outside the house without signing up for a plan with a service provider that costs 30+ a month. Unless things have changed in the last 6 months since I looked into it. I decided to go with the vera lite
  are you sure that is accurate?
if your zwave is on your local network and you have a vera lite, all you need to do is open the port on your router to allow outside connections to vera lite web app (same way you'd access it internally)  and then perform functions from its internal web server.  no?
i just bought the vera lite, but havent installed it yet b/c i havent installed my schlage z-wave electronic key pad.

Veralite can be used outside your home network without opening any ports.  I am saying with the lynx you are not able to without paying the total connect fee.

jabu321 said:   can someone explain "z-wave"? thanks

http://www.homesecuritystore.com/p-2165-l5100-zwave-honeywell-z-wave-control-communication-module-for-l5100-panel.aspx

Hopefully this helps...

Kaczmarczyk said:   Why self monitor when you can go with Alarm Relay for $8.95 a month? ...
Is this a trick question?

Because self-monitoring cost $ 0.00 a month and is as effective?

Guess you didn't see the thread above mine:
With someone  like Alarm Grid, you can self monitor for $20 per month   and can use the Total Connect features which include outside connection.  Either way, thanks for your comment, I'll keep that in mind...

Now why you would pay someone to self monitor is the trick question...

Next alarm.com is pretty cheap also and they have self monitoring available. I currently have Monotronics as my service provider and was initially paying $47.95 a month which included arming,disarming and monitoring from my iphone. They gave me a GE wireless system but I had to sign a 4 year contract. So now my contract is up and I called to cancel and they reduced my bill to $39.99 that was a few months ago. So I called again and they reduced it again to $28.95 when I told them I was thinking of switching to Nextalarm. So for now I will keep them.

Can someone explain why you pay to self-monitor??

Really, I'm serious, what are you paying for, if you are monitoring?

I think self monitoring is when your alarm is tripped you get called or texted and it's up to you to notify the police. You're paying for the company to relay the triggered alarm info to you.

jaimelobo said:   Can someone explain why you pay to self-monitor??

Really, I serious, what are you paying for, if you are monitoring?

Self Monitoring basically means that the system sends you messages and you can choose to call the police or not to, depending on the situation.  The reason I am willing to pay for a "self monitoring" package is to be able to use the other features of the system, which is the Total Home System, where you can also manage your whole home with an ios or Android device.  If I choose to self monitor and not pay a fee, then my alarm works as a simple alarm and it will still send me messages, but I won't be able to log into my system via phone or tablet.  I am currently trying to find out how to work it so that I can do true Self Monitoring without having to pay a fee, but enjoy the advantages of the Total Home System....

i installed this system in my house since one year, it is wireless and works very good. i am looking external loud buzzer so i can install out side of my house. does any body has idea which one i can attach?

There is the Honewell 748 Dual Tone Outdoor/Indoor Siren..

http://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-Ademco-748-119db-Dual-Tone/dp/B0...

any chances that this will have a price mark down for Black Friday/Cyber Monday? whats you guys' past experience.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014