• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

HP Envy 15.6
Disclaimer
With the Discover 5% bonus CashBack this quarter, on top of the regular 15% for Groupon, I am looking for some feedback on this deal. It looks hot to me but it is a refurb, so I may be overlooking something:

Deal here  

Cost $700
After 20% CashBack $560

Spec:
Product Name 15-j053cl

Product Number E0K05UA

Microprocessor 2.4GHz 4th generation Intel Core i7-4700MQ Processor with Turbo Boost up to 3.4GHz

Memory 12GB DDR3 SDRAM (2 DIMM)

Memory Max Maximum supported = 16GB

Memory Slots 2 user accessible

Video Graphics Intel HD graphics 4400

Display 15.6-inch diagonal HD BrightView LEDbacklit touchscreen display (1366x768)

Hard Drive 1TB 5400RPM hard drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection

Network Card 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 connector)

Wireless Connectivity Intel 2x2 802.11b/g/n WLAN

Bluetooth with WiDi with Intel Smart Connect Technology

Sound Beats Audio quad speakers and two subwoofers

Keyboard Full-size island-style backlit keyboard with numeric keypad

Pointing Device HP Clickpad supporting multi-touch gestures without on/off button

External Ports Multi-Format Digital Media Card Reader for Secure Digital cards & Multimedia cards

4 SuperSpeed USB 3.0, 1 supporting USB Boost

1 HDMI

1 RJ-45 (LAN)

1 Headphone-out/microphone-in combo jack

Dimensions 0.74 in (min H) / 1.18 in (max H) x 14.94 in (W) x 9.87 in (D)

Weight 5.62 lb

Power 90W AC adapter

6-cell 47WHr 2.2 Ah lithium-ion battery

ID Mech Description Front facing HP TrueVision HD Webcam with integrated dual array digital microphone

HP SimplePass with integrated fingerprint reader

Member Summary

hp envy
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
you need to click on the shop discover so you will not get referral from fatwallet. Cash Back is based on the purchase ... (more)

daoooo (Oct. 03, 2013 @ 3:07p) |

Correct, and note that when you go to ShopDiscover you will see the CashBack showing 15%, but they have a promotion in Q... (more)

leachs225 (Oct. 03, 2013 @ 3:30p) |

Thanks for the clarification, I am awaiting a replacement Discover Card.

JeffHVT (Oct. 04, 2013 @ 7:35a) |

• Also categorized in:
    • Manufacturer › HP
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Good price with those discounts!

Might want mention in title that this is Manufacturer Refurbished.  Not bad price though for i7 touchscreen.

rdprx5 said:   Might want mention in title that this is Manufacturer Refurbished.  Not bad price though for i7 touchscreen.
  Thanks for the feedback. I am new to posting deals, and appreciate the advice.

Not a bad deal at all! I ordered the following on July 15, 2013 through both an EPP site + used a coupon for a special they were having:

HP ENVY 15t Quad TouchSmart
• Windows 8 Pro 64
• 4th generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4700MQ Processor
• Intel HD Graphics 4600
• 15.6-inch diagonal Full HD BrightView LED-backlit Display (1920x1080)
• 8GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
• 1TB 5400 rpm Hard Drive
• NO mSSD Hard Drive Acceleration Cache
• No Additional Office Software
• No additional security software
• 6-Cell Lithium-Ion Battery
• No Internal DVD or CD Drive
• Backlit Keyboard
HP TrueVision HD Webcam w/ integrated digital mic
• 802.11b/g/n WLAN and Bluetooth(R)

Came out to $800.87 - $40 Shop Discover = $760.87 and that was using multiple discounts, so this deal is definitely nice.

We get contacted daily in our salvage business to buy pallets of these Hawsell 15ts and 17ts. It makes you wonder how reliable these new HP 15t and 17t Haswell laptop models really are if they already have this many refurbs just 60 days out from launch. Unlike Dell, and Acer , HP refurbs are not scratch and dent or customer returns. They are units that have actually been reworked due to some defect .  Also these initial Haswell HP 15t and 17t laptops have a known design flaw you might want to be aware of: You can't add the SSD cache with more than 8GB of memory installed. If you do the laptop will start behaving erratically eventually resulting in BIOS corruption and then permanently lockup. HP still has not addressed this known problem. Right now they prevent you from ordering the SSD cache with more than 8GB but they don't tell you the real reason so beware if you plan to upgrade yourself.

cnIsfg said:   We get contacted daily in our salvage business to buy pallets of these Hawsell 15ts and 17ts. It makes you wonder how reliable these new HP 15t and 17t Haswell laptop models really are if they already have this many refurbs just 60 days out from launch. Unlike Dell, and Acer , HP refurbs are not scratch and dent or customer returns. They are units that have actually been reworked due to some defect .  Also these initial Haswell HP 15t and 17t laptops have a known design flaw you might want to be aware of: You can't add the SSD cache with more than 8GB of memory installed. If you do the laptop will start behaving erratically eventually resulting in BIOS corruption and then permanently lockup. HP still has not addressed this known problem. Right now they prevent you from ordering the SSD cache with more than 8GB but they don't tell you the real reason so beware if you plan to upgrade yourself.

It is possible to add an mSATA SSD to this laptop - it's not easy, but it's possible. I have a 240GB Intel 520 series (SATA 6.0 Gbps) in mine along with the 1TB hard drive. This site explains how: Link

reset2k said:   
cnIsfg said:   We get contacted daily in our salvage business to buy pallets of these Hawsell 15ts and 17ts. It makes you wonder how reliable these new HP 15t and 17t Haswell laptop models really are if they already have this many refurbs just 60 days out from launch. Unlike Dell, and Acer , HP refurbs are not scratch and dent or customer returns. They are units that have actually been reworked due to some defect .  Also these initial Haswell HP 15t and 17t laptops have a known design flaw you might want to be aware of: You can't add the SSD cache with more than 8GB of memory installed. If you do the laptop will start behaving erratically eventually resulting in BIOS corruption and then permanently lockup. HP still has not addressed this known problem. Right now they prevent you from ordering the SSD cache with more than 8GB but they don't tell you the real reason so beware if you plan to upgrade yourself.

You might not be able to do a hard drive / ssd cache hybrid drive with more than 8GB of storage (I have not attempted this), but you can simply do a mSATA SSD w/out an issue. I have a 240GB Intel 520 series (SATA 6.0 Gbps) in mine along with the 1TB hard drive.

Nor true. The manufacturer of mSATA drive has no relevance. Right now you cannot add ANY manufacturer mSATA SSD with more than 8GB installed regardless if HP does or you do it. If you do eventually your laptop will brick and if you installed the mSATA drive after you got the laptop the motherboard replacement repair is NOT covered under their warranty

cnIsfg said:   
reset2k said:   

You might not be able to do a hard drive / ssd cache hybrid drive with more than 8GB of storage (I have not attempted this), but you can simply do a mSATA SSD w/out an issue. I have a 240GB Intel 520 series (SATA 6.0 Gbps) in mine along with the 1TB hard drive.

Nor true. The manufacturer of mSATA drive has no relevance. Right now you cannot add ANY manufacturer mSATA SSD with more than 8GB installed regardless if HP does or you do it. If you do eventually your laptop will brick and if you installed the mSATA drive after you got the laptop the motherboard replacement repair is NOT covered under their warranty

Excuse me? So you're telling me that my mSATA drive that is currently my BOOT drive on my own laptop is fictional? Don't attempt to discredit what I have directly in my face Just to make sure others believe me, here's a picture taken with my cell phone showing both the 240GB Intel SSD and the 1TB hard drive: Link

reset2k said:   
cnIsfg said:   
reset2k said:   

Excuse me? So you're telling me that my mSATA drive that is currently my BOOT drive on my own laptop is fictional? Don't attempt to discredit what I have directly in my face

Perhaps actually reading what I posted would help your obvious confusion over the REAL issue? Regards of what YOU think if you upgrade your RAM in your 15t above 8GB AND use ANY brand mSATA drive you will eventually end up with a 15t brick and since you added the mSATA yourself that HP is going to refuse to reapir it. Good Luck.

cnIsfg said:   
reset2k said:   
cnIsfg said:   
reset2k said:   

Excuse me? So you're telling me that my mSATA drive that is currently my BOOT drive on my own laptop is fictional? Don't attempt to discredit what I have directly in my face

Perhaps actually reading what I posted would help your obvious confusion over the REAL issue? Regards of what YOU think if you upgrade your RAM in your 15t above 8GB AND use ANY brand mSATA drive you will eventually end up with a 15t brick and since you added the mSATA yourself that HP is going to refuse to reapir it. Good Luck.

First and foremost, I've already done a 16GB memory upgrade but removed 8GB to install into another laptop as 16GB was not being sufficiently used in this laptop. The mSATA SSD and hard drive were BOTH installed while the laptop had 16GB of memory - so again, you are wrong. Also, HP refusing to repair something that got bricked because someone added an mSATA drive or memory - that supposedly happens because of this incompatibility you speak of that is listed NO WHERE on HP's website? That's pretty far fetched. You are not breaking ANY warranty seals when installing either the memory or the mSATA SSD drive, and HP even gives you directions on how to upgrade/add both of them in their manual, so please tell me how that is going to void your warranty.

HP is pure trash. Don't buy their stuff and never work for them.

reset2k said:   
cnIsfg said:   
reset2k said:   
cnIsfg said:   
reset2k said:   

First and foremost, I've already done a 16GB memory upgrade but removed 8GB to install into another laptop as 16GB was not being sufficiently used in this laptop. The mSATA SSD and hard drive were BOTH installed while the laptop had 16GB of memory - so again, you are wrong. Also, HP refusing to repair something that got bricked because someone added an mSATA drive or memory - that supposedly happens because of this incompatibility you speak of that is listed NO WHERE on HP's website? That's pretty far fetched. You are not breaking ANY warranty seals when installing either the memory or the mSATA SSD drive, and HP even gives you directions on how to upgrade/add both of them in their manual, so please tell me how that is going to void your warranty.

You first state you  have 8GB now you "magically" have 16GB to make your point. You are the only one including all ofH P engineering staff who currently has this config working for more than a few days.  As for the design problem problem is is well documentied in HP  forums as well as MANY other third party forums. Search "HP 15t ot 17t 8GB mSATA limitation". As for the rest of us who don;t live in fantasy land we will have to deal with the HP design flaw issue unitl HP redesigns their hardware to workaround their flaw in the Haswell chipset implementation, Intel Rapid Resume and Rapid start.

why do they kill the display on the units? . nice deal though.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/hp-envy-hdx/723783-envy-touchsma...

Post # 16

Debate finished. Like I said, I had 16GB of memory while both having the mSSD and hard drive together. I do not need some random person discrediting what I saw personally, with my own eyes.

reset2k said:   http://forum.notebookreview.com/hp-envy-hdx/723783-envy-touchsma... 

Post # 16

Debate finished. Like I said, I had 16GB of memory while both having the mSSD and hard drive together. I do not need some random person discrediting what I saw personally, with my own eyes.

Clearly you can't  even use a search engine and refuse to admit purchased a product with a major design issue The HP design issue WELL documented. From you own source:  Be sure to actually READ the ENTIRE thread!!!

cnIsfg said:   
reset2k said:   http://forum.notebookreview.com/hp-envy-hdx/723783-envy-touchsma...    

Post # 16

Clearly you can't  even use a search engine and refuse to admit purchased a product with a major design issue The HP design issue WELL documented. From you own source:     Be sure to actually READ the ENTIRE thread!!!

Wow, do you ever quit? So not only am I lying, and evidently smarter than all HP engineers, but so is some other person that was able to do the same exact thing? Give up already...

reset2k said:   
cnIsfg said:   

Post # 16

Clearly you can't  even use a search engine and refuse to admit purchased a product with a major design issue The HP design issue WELL documented. From you own source:    Be sure to actually READ the ENTIRE thread!!!

Wow, do you ever quit? So not only am I lying, and evidently smarter than all HP engineers, but so is some other person that was able to do the same exact thing? Give up already...

No only in your own mind/. To the rest of us who can read you look pretty silly.

cnIsfg said:   
reset2k said:   
cnIsfg said:   

Post # 16

Clearly you can't  even use a search engine and refuse to admit purchased a product with a major design issue The HP design issue WELL documented. From you own source:      Be sure to actually READ the ENTIRE thread!!!

No only in your own mind/. To the rest of us who can read you look pretty silly.

I look silly? In the EXACT SAME THREAD that you linked to telling me to read everything, ANOTHER user reported that he was able to do the same thing and believes there will be no problems with having 16GB of memory. "Gussmed" must also be smarter than all HP engineers. Seriously guy, give up already.

Edit: I am extremely sorry how this thread got hijacked Op. I'm done...

These laptops are incredibly lightweight. But I still wonder if 15.6" display justifies the ultrabook and portability tag.

The cost price got increased to $879.49. So after 20% discount it is $699.99.

SK1911094 said:   The cost price got increased to $879.49. So after 20% discount it is $699.99.
  You are incorrect. The list price is $879.49. Groupon have discounted it to $699.99. The 20% CashBack via DiscoverCard brings the net price down to $560.

HP? No thanks.

Yes, I know it's a 4 year old survey; if you have something newer, let us know.

Here is my only question:

cnIsfg, and reset2K, why not just get a ruler already and measure to see whose is longer?

inb4: "But a ruler is only 12 inches!"

smw said:   HP? No thanks .

Yes, I know it's a 4 year old survey; if you have something newer, let us know.

From January of this year...
Customer Satisfaction

Trouble is, that's really an opinion survey. Squaretrade's was done strictly by number of laptops they'd warranted vs. number that were repaired.

smw said:   Trouble is, that's really an opinion survey. Squaretrade's was done strictly by number of laptops they'd warranted vs. number that were repaired.
  Yup, I agree and it was only a 2 week survey, but you didn't ask for quality you asked for something newer

What am I missing? I see Groupon's price, after 15% discount is 699. Then Discover discount of 5% (or according to fatwallet, 3%, makes the final price of 655 or 679. ?

you need to click on the shop discover so you will not get referral from fatwallet. Cash Back is based on the purchase price, so it's 560

daoooo said:   you need to click on the shop discover so you will not get referral from fatwallet. Cash Back is based on the purchase price, so it's 560
  Correct, and note that when you go to ShopDiscover you will see the CashBack showing 15%, but they have a promotion in Q4 for an additional 5% for online shopping, giving the 20% CashBack total.

Thanks for the clarification, I am awaiting a replacement Discover Card.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014