• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

BaoFeng UV-5R Plus UV 5R Dual-Band 136-174/400-480 MHz FM Ham Two-way Radio, Improved Stronger Case, More Rich and Enhanced Features 2013 Enhanced Version
Disclaimer

Amazon
Get Up to 6.0% Cash Back in the Following Departments:
Member Summary
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

That is a good price. This are known for being under $50, but not usually that far below! In for 2..

Doesn't everyone who needs one of these already have one?

Best price by quite a bit except for a brief moment in April. Abundant reviews. 4.4 out of 5 Stars.

real range is what?? Anyone know???

what the most people use these for, 2-way or listen to radio communication?

namcongtu said:   what the most people use these for, 2-way or listen to radio communication?
  Talk to the wife from the sofa, honey bring some beer.

namcongtu said:   what the most people use these for, 2-way or listen to radio communication?
  Not to preach but they are are intended to be used by Licensed Amateur radio operators (Hams).  Anyone can listen however.

True they are intended for HAM operators. But with the ongoing government shutdown the FCC will never know if you use this radio without the proper license!!

The government isn't shutdown. The non-essentials are getting a paid vacation!

have never used any one of these and want to buy one (cause this kind of deal keeps popping up) but please tell me any reason to buy one for fun to play with

Not TC'ing but I have a UV-B5 and am really happy with it - very easy to program, powerful and from reviews I read it is overall a better radio for around $45. Thumbs up for a ham radio post, though. Now if I can find a Kenwood TS-480SAT on sale!

namcongtu said:   have never used any one of these and want to buy one (cause this kind of deal keeps popping up) but please tell me any reason to buy one for fun to play with

I have 2 of them and program them for MURs frequencies. The beauty of MURs is that it's a LICENSE FREE band and you will essentially have the frequencies to yourself even at busy events. I've had them at busy theme parks and have never heard anyone else using those frequencies...unlike the crowded FRS/GMRS radios.

If you set them on low power you will be staying within the FCC legal limit of 2 watts for MURs.

Yes, yes, I know technically they are not type rated for use on MURs, but the FCC is not going to hunt you down and check your radio if you are using them on a license free band....so that risk is essentially zero.

OP, please add "Ham Radio" to your title. I don't think that many, if any, people who aren't into Ham radio have any idea what a "BaoFeng UV-5R" is - I'm more into electronics than most people but have no interest in or knowledge of amateur radio and had never heard of BaoFeng.

Thanks.

It's good to note that these radio's are not just "turn on and use" like a normal FRS/GMRS walkie-talkie.

It's takes some research and preferably a programming cable to get them configured for the frequencies you want to use. You wouldn't want to inadvertently transmit on your local police or fire station frequencies.

Item Under Review

While this item is available from other marketplace sellers on this page, it is not currently offered by Amazon.com because customers have told us there may be something wrong with our inventory of the item, the way we are shipping it, or the way it's described here. (Thanks for the tip!)

We're working to fix the problem as quickly as possible.

Item Under Review

While this item is available from other marketplace sellers on this page, it is not currently offered by Amazon.com because customers have told us there may be something wrong with our inventory of the item, the way we are shipping it, or the way it's described here. (Thanks for the tip!)

We're working to fix the problem as quickly as possible.

As of lately Amazon has screwed up most of my orders and shipping. Not sure why but it all seem to be going on in the last months or so. I got used to expect excellence from them, but I'm slowly turning around... If on top of this they start charging local taxes I might need to revise my shopping habits AND sell my AMZN.

Looks like it's $49.00 + FS now, but 3% Cash Back would bring that down to $47.53.

There's another model (with no eham reviews) for $41.88 with free shipping. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C5ABO9O?psc=1

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014