• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

Amazon.com : Micca Speck 1080p Full-HD Ultra Portable Digital Media Player For USB Drives and SD/SDHC Cards : Digital Video Recorders : Electronics
Disclaimer
Great reviews.
Link

Member Summary

micca
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Last year around this time it was $29.99, but this is still below the average price.

Cool device for the price, but doesn't seem to support chapters.

I just got one of these a few weeks ago, and it's a fantastic device. I have it attached to a projector, and it works flawlessly. I download (as opposed to stream) most of my media, so whenever I want to watch something, I just plop it onto a thumb drive and plug it into the Speck. Highly recommended.

ohhenry1 said:   I just got one of these a few weeks ago, and it's a fantastic device. I have it attached to a projector, and it works flawlessly. I download (as opposed to stream) most of my media, so whenever I want to watch something, I just plop it onto a thumb drive and plug it into the Speck. Highly recommended.
††Thanks for the review....ordered one myself.

http://www.iboum.com/net-media-players.php
If you're SERIOUS about your media player, see this site first for what is likely the most comprehensive listing of available media players and chipsets on the market today.

You'll find that some things simply don't play:
(from Amazon - see 1 star reviews)
"1920x1080P 60 fps off camcorder - Playpack is jerky, cannot handle movement, audio is about 5 seconds off from the video
1920x1080P 30 fps MP4 and M2T from Adobe Premiere Elements 11 - Same issues as above
1920x1080P 24 fps MP4 and M2T from Adobe Premiere Elements 11 - Same issues as above
1920x1080P 30 fps MP4 and M2T from Cyberlink Power Director 12 - Same issues as above
720 x480P AVI from Windows Movie Maker - Player gives message "cannot play file"

Thus, do make sure it'll play back what you want prior to buying it.
(The performance of this ~$30 media player isn't unlike others in the range such as the MP-HDX. Also, keep in mind that many of these smaller media players often heat up a bit, and some chipsets, like that in the MP-HDX, can actually overheat when in 1080p mode playing back high bitrate bluray rips and lock up.)

I've found these cheap media players to be good within the range of limitations they have, and with some of them, with heatsinks attached to their main chipsets. But will they replace my media center PC? Never - none of these <$50 units that I've researched can play them all like VLC/Media Player Home Classic on the PC.

Received mine yesterday and hooked it up to my TV. Fantastic device for such a low price! Glad I bought it.

Thank you for sharing OP.

Can anyone who bought this tell me can this thing resume play on a playlist. Let say I put a whole season of drama on the playlist and stopped at the middle of ep. 5. Would it resume on ep 5 at where it left off and continue on the play list? Please advise. Thank you.

I looked into these Micca devices and all the reviews said they do very well at what they're supposed to do - play video files. One thing lacking from this model is that it won't do DTS-HD MA passthrough. You'll need to go up to the EP100 for that, which is $70.

All that said, I'm not sure if this price is anything special. It was this price when I was looking at these 3 months ago and also had the $70 and $50 prices slashed.

Ultimately I passed on this because I wanted a more versatile device, but I really did look very hard at these devices. I decided to wait for the Haswell NUC to launch - a much more expensive but also much more powerful option that suits my needs better.

georgeckc said:   Thank you for sharing OP.

Can anyone who bought this tell me can this thing resume play on a playlist. Let say I put a whole season of drama on the playlist and stopped at the middle of ep. 5. Would it resume on ep 5 at where it left off and continue on the play list? Please advise. Thank you.

††The player does indeed resume when watching a video from where you left off.

Elric428 said:   

††
That's great. So I assume it will continue on the playlist as well if playlist is available, right? Thank you again for your response.

georgeckc said:   
Elric428 said:   

††
That's great. So I assume it will continue on the playlist as well if playlist is available, right? Thank you again for your response.

††Not sure what you mean by playlist. When I go to a memory card for example, it shows a list of my movie files. You pick one and hit the play button. Not sure if it automatically goes to the next file on the list after you finish watching the movie. Haven't tried it yet.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014