• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Groupon has the GradSave $50 gift card on sale for $30. Shopdiscover has 15% back on Groupon.com; alternatively, you're encouraged to use FatCash.
$30 - $4.50 (discover bonus) = $25.50 for $50 contribution to a 529 fund through gradsave.

Link to Groupon Deal

(link to similar old LivingSocial deal††††for reference; this isn't as good as the old LivingSocial deal, but it's better than nothing! Note the difficulty many people had in actually withdrawing the funds)

Member Summary

gradsave
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

AVOID GRADSAVE!

From past experience I would stay away, last time around I spent considerably more time than the deal was worth trying to get GradSave to actually credit the money. See the OP's linked thread for details on how it took some people months and repeated attempts just to get GradSave to transfer the money to their 529.

Yeah, they really botched the old LivingSocial deal.

On a personal note, I went ahead and tried this one. The gift card was activated within the hour, the funds were applied to my account, the account was linked to my little one's 529, and the withdrawal is scheduled to be completed "in 14 business days." So far, so good. We'll see what happens 3 weeks from now (I'll actually give them 4 as a courtesy - 3 to transfer, 1 for it to actually show up in my account)...
EDIT: They do transfers on the 1st and 15th of every month, with the deposit reaching the account in 14 business days of the transfer. As such, they have until Nov. 4 (14 business days after the 15th) to deposit the funds into my account. If they're not there by Nov. 8, I'll start to worry.

I did feel it necessary to update the op with a small warning about the difficulties the last time gradsave tried this.

Update: I just checked my 529. The funds were deposited on 10/15 (7 days after initial purchase on Groupon).

And it's grown to $50.59 over the past 2 days (>700% CAGR!; and yes, I'm being facetious)

I feel a little more comfortable recommending this deal after this experience, but still recommend against gradsave when it's not a MM due to the LivingSocial experiences linked to in the OP.

Nothing personal OP, but there's no way this company should have any traffic generated in their direction after the nightmare they put us through earlier this year.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014